my new laptop good 4 gaming

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts
ppl say most laptops suck for gaming , i'm buying a new 1 in a week which has dual core 2.2Ghz, 3GB RAM , and dedicated 256mb VRAM , for $550. that should run alot why such a bad rep? not amazing but it runs spore orange box mass effect etc
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

First of ram... vram means nothing. Ghz means nothing. You do not compare cpu's in different families by mhz, it is useless. 2.2 ghz can be a Pentium M 3 gigs of ram, well that's fine except this won't be running in dual channel. (2x1+1x1) 256vram, what graphics card is this? It could be a 6200m,8400mgs, intel intergrated card.

Tell us the cpu and videocard, that's basically all that matters.

Those games you mentioned run great on my laptop, I got it for free. 8400mgs, 2.1ghz c2d t8100, 4 gigs of ram. 13in laptop, not really for gaming just quick work. I also bought a 17in laptop which I heavily regret, a laptop is not a desktop, I learned that the hardway. I brought that thing to class, yeah... not cool. Thankfully I gave that to my dad and he uses that in his office. 13in laptops are the sexy.

mattpunkgd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 mattpunkgd
Member since 2007 • 2198 Posts
Ya pretty much we need to know your cpu and video card. And how do you know it runs those games if you don't have it yet? Those are really low requirment games, but I doubt you could play those besides maybe spore.
tekkiegurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tekkiegurl
Member since 2009 • 33 Posts

you need to check on the video card if you are going to buy a laptop. most laptop have lower video cards. that why playing games on it sucks

http://www.healthsitedirectory.com

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 darth-pyschosis
its AMD X2 turion dual core cpu and 256mb dedicated video memory on ATI Radeon 3200
Tyson8earzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Tyson8earzz
Member since 2004 • 885 Posts
you could have spent like 400 more and got what i have in my sig, thats decent enough for most current games on high. Spending 550 bucks on a laptop and try to game with it is a waste IMO
tab132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 tab132
Member since 2006 • 460 Posts
yeah the 3200's not the good for games.
-D3ATH-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -D3ATH-
Member since 2008 • 615 Posts
I am happy with my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3200. It runs most of goodly optimized games on good framerate.
joshuahaveron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 joshuahaveron
Member since 2004 • 2165 Posts

ppl say most laptops suck for gaming , i'm buying a new 1 in a week which has dual core 2.2Ghz, 3GB RAM , and dedicated 256mb VRAM , for $550. that should run alot why such a bad rep? not amazing but it runs spore orange box mass effect etc darth-pyschosis

That wont play most games, sorry to burst your bubble

johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts
laptops get bad rep because there are terrible for a gaming i could build a similar priced desktop that will out perform that laptop by a large margin and even more expensive laptops as well!!! and u cant upgrade a laptop so u need to bu ya whole new one while in a desktop u would merely throw in a new gpu or cpu and be good to go.
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 darth-pyschosis

[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]ppl say most laptops suck for gaming , i'm buying a new 1 in a week which has dual core 2.2Ghz, 3GB RAM , and dedicated 256mb VRAM , for $550. that should run alot why such a bad rep? not amazing but it runs spore orange box mass effect etc joshuahaveron

why it satisfies specs for most games like orange box , spore
matte3560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 matte3560
Member since 2006 • 1729 Posts
[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"][QUOTE="joshuahaveron"]

ppl say most laptops suck for gaming , i'm buying a new 1 in a week which has dual core 2.2Ghz, 3GB RAM , and dedicated 256mb VRAM , for $550. that should run alot why such a bad rep? not amazing but it runs spore orange box mass effect etc darth-pyschosis

Well, theres a difference between playing and watching a slideshow, sure, it may run, but it wont run well
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darth-pyschosis

Well, theres a difference between playing and watching a slideshow, sure, it may run, but it wont run well

why? spore needs for recommended specs 2.0Ghz CPU, 128mb Video Card, 768mb of RAM

so tell me why 2.2Ghz Dual Core, 256mb Dedicated Video Card, 3GB of RAM would have trouble running that?

orange box needs 1.7Ghz CPU, 128mb Video Card, 1GB RAM, once again this laptop is very over the specs

even Crysis (which i've played i have no interest in trying it anymore) needs 3.2Ghz (yea a little too high) but I need 1.5GB RAM, and 256mb video card. thats what it says for Crysis

now with spore and orange box, tell me why something that exceeds specs needed wouldn't run them? there must be something i don't know

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 darth-pyschosis
i'd like someone to tell me why people say this laptop won't play games well when it very easily surpasses specs for prime PC games like Spore, Orange Box, even Mass Effect (needs 2Ghz CPU, 2GB Ram, 256mb VRAM)
mattpunkgd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mattpunkgd
It's a bad video card. The vram doesn't mean anything. That card won't even use up all of it anyways. Probobly won't use 128mb of vram (meaning if it had less vram it would be the same performance).
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 darth-pyschosis

It's a bad video card. The vram doesn't mean anything. That card won't even use up all of it anyways. Probobly won't use 128mb of vram (meaning if it had less vram it would be the same performance).mattpunkgd

why won't it use all? CNET's review of this very laptop said it had dedicated 256mb video memory, and i checked the video card at the store on the computer, it says 256mb dedicated AND an additional 1GB can be shared from the RAM

so why won't games use the dedicated video memory from the dedicated video memory card ATI radeon 3200? wouldn't that defeat the point of it being "dedicated?"

hrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hrah
Member since 2003 • 1375 Posts

what you want to look for in a gaming laptop is a good GPU or (graphics processing unit ) a good gaming laptop start st $1200 or 1300 and can go as high as $5000, , let me give you an example =

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/25/asus-w90-gaming-laptop-now-shipping/

this laptop has a good videocard it can play almost any game AND still this videocard doesn't compare with the desktop counterpart

mattpunkgd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mattpunkgd

[QUOTE="mattpunkgd"]It's a bad video card. The vram doesn't mean anything. That card won't even use up all of it anyways. Probobly won't use 128mb of vram (meaning if it had less vram it would be the same performance).darth-pyschosis

why won't it use all? CNET's review of this very laptop said it had dedicated 256mb video memory, and i checked the video card at the store on the computer, it says 256mb dedicated AND an additional 1GB can be shared from the RAM

so why won't games use the dedicated video memory from the dedicated video memory card ATI radeon 3200? wouldn't that defeat the point of it being "dedicated?"

Seriously if you don't want to beileve us we don't have to help you. We've tried many times to explain this to you, and you keep insisting that we're wrong. Sorry, but I'm gonna have to give up on this thread.
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 darth-pyschosis

i'm sorry to irritate you guys but i'm not finding out why i'm being told a video card that says its 256mb of dedicated memory won't dedicate the 256mb towards randomily accessed video memory

hrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hrah
Member since 2003 • 1375 Posts

what people is trying to tell you is that IF you want to play games on a laptop ram or processor speed is not the most important thing (of course it's great if you have that in the laptop) BUT the GPU is basic (graphics card) if you have a great processor and 8 gb of ram but a cheap GPU, the laptop is not good for gaming, and most cheap laptops have a integrated graphic card or a very simple card for simple tasks.

I think this will Help

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2526

QUOTE from that page

(With GPUs, you're going to want a more powerful GPU instead of more video RAM in virtually all cases, with almost no exceptions. On the desktop, a Radeon 9600 with 64MB of video RAM will invariably slaughter a Radeon 9200 with 256MB of video RAM, and that's because the 9600 itself is a more powerful chip.)
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 darth-pyschosis

what people is trying to tell you is that IF you want to play games on a laptop ram or processor speed is not the most important thing (of course it's great if you have that in the laptop) BUT the GPU is basic (graphics card) if you have a great processor and 8 gb of ram but a cheap GPU, the laptop is not good for gaming, and most cheap laptops have a integrated graphic card or a very simple card for simple tasks.hrah

i'm telling you guys the grapihcs card is 256mb dedicated memory, ugh, i looked up feedback on this card for a while just now and found the answer i was looking for that it will play most PC games (except i've read it runs into problems with Crysis)

so thanks guys

Tyson8earzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Tyson8earzz
Member since 2004 • 885 Posts

[QUOTE="hrah"]what people is trying to tell you is that IF you want to play games on a laptop ram or processor speed is not the most important thing (of course it's great if you have that in the laptop) BUT the GPU is basic (graphics card) if you have a great processor and 8 gb of ram but a cheap GPU, the laptop is not good for gaming, and most cheap laptops have a integrated graphic card or a very simple card for simple tasks.darth-pyschosis

i'm telling you guys the grapihcs card is 256mb dedicated memory, ugh, i looked up feedback on this card for a while just now and found the answer i was looking for that it will play most PC games (except i've read it runs into problems with Crysis)

so thanks guys

I guess as long as YOU are HAPPY with your purchase and are fine with this laptops ability to play games at the resolution you need, then the big question is: Why even start a thread like this? You knew all along you were going to defend your purchase and justify this laptop anyways, so I do not understand the purpose of this thread any longer. You bought a laptop... it will play games on mediocre settings due to junky video chipset. There you have it, done deal. If you're happy then so be it, thats all that really matters....Bravo! You didnt need or even want to hear any of our opinions anyways. Close this thread now thx :)
joshuahaveron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 joshuahaveron
[QUOTE="joshuahaveron"]

[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]ppl say most laptops suck for gaming , i'm buying a new 1 in a week which has dual core 2.2Ghz, 3GB RAM , and dedicated 256mb VRAM , for $550. that should run alot why such a bad rep? not amazing but it runs spore orange box mass effect etc darth-pyschosis

Basically the graphics card is not even a proper graphics card, its integrated which means its built into the motherboard, it is a half assed gpu that is only good for office work. You need a dedicated gpu for gaming, that can process all of the data neeeded to render a game, the memory doesnt matter if the graphics card is pathetic but has like 4gb ram it will still be pathetic, you need to look at the whole of the graphics cards specs rather than just the ram. It's like saying that a car is fast because its got really good wheels, but it has no engine. Please don't not listen to our advice, it ended up in you getting a terrible laptop and wasting all of your money.

-D3ATH-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -D3ATH-
Member since 2008 • 615 Posts
[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"][QUOTE="joshuahaveron"]

joshuahaveron

Basically the graphics card is not even a proper graphics card, its integrated which means its built into the motherboard, it is a half assed gpu that is only good for office work. You need a dedicated gpu for gaming, that can process all of the data neeeded to render a game, the memory doesnt matter if the graphics card is pathetic but has like 4gb ram it will still be pathetic, you need to look at the whole of the graphics cards specs rather than just the ram. It's like saying that a car is fast because its got really good wheels, but it has no engine. Please don't not listen to our advice, it ended up in you getting a terrible laptop and wasting all of your money.

I didn't know that playing Far Cry 2 with that card is office work... If you think that integrated graphics are made for office work only, then look at name of this card: It's ATI not Intel. Intel cards are only capable of old games and office work.

joshuahaveron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 joshuahaveron

Ye, I suppose but people mainly use them for office work, if any gamer that knows anything about computers had an integrated graphics they would get a dedicated card.

kjghs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kjghs
Member since 2005 • 947 Posts
you need a computer with something like a 9400m gt and higher or whatever
hoodoomoovoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hoodoomoovoo
Member since 2006 • 187 Posts

The lowest priced "gaming" laptop i would consider would be the Dell XPS 1530 which starts at around $900, and that only has a GeForce 8600, i own a Dell Studio XPS 16 ($1,199) which has a Radeon HD 3670 which benchmarks close to the same as a GeForce 9600, i can max most games out except like Crysis, which i can only do medium.

Angurvadal_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Angurvadal_88
Member since 2005 • 704 Posts
For $550 you could've built a WAY better desktop gaming PC. Ah well, your decision I guess.
TheMistique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheMistique
Member since 2008 • 1421 Posts
my friend just got a laptop with that same exact card and he can play l4d on all low settings. at 30 fps so yes you can play games just most on low. cod4 needs to be set to almost everything low as well. just to let you know vram means almost NOTHING when talking about performace of a video card. it's what we call "noob bait"
TheMistique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheMistique
Member since 2008 • 1421 Posts

The lowest priced "gaming" laptop i would consider would be the Dell XPS 1530 which starts at around $900, and that only has a GeForce 8600, i own a Dell Studio XPS 16 ($1,199) which has a Radeon HD 3670 which benchmarks close to the same as a GeForce 9600, i can max most games out except like Crysis, which i can only do medium.

hoodoomoovoo
except you can get cheaper better ones off newegg. like $700 ones with 9600gt's n such. or you could pay $1000 and get a gateway with a 9800m gts which is an awesome laptop card