My gaming has halted - I need a good story based game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts

After having forked a month and half into WoW I've suddenly stopped liking it. I came to realize how hollow and pointless it really is. Not only that, but my "need" for playing has halted and I can't come up with single game that interest me.

So now I'm looking for a game with a good story, I don't mind playing an older RPG game as long as the story is actually good and intriguing.

I already own Mass Effect 1/2 and The Witcher wasn't really me.

Any ideas?

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
How long did you play The Witcher? It takes a while for the game to set off but once it does there's no stopping. I'd give it another go. Are you picky with the visuals? Planescape Torment is the best story based RPG ever as long as you can live with the outdated visuals. With the high resolution mod the game does look pretty good though thanks to the visual design. If you insist on something more recent, try Dragon Age, Neverwinter Nights 2 or Jade Empire.
Ragingbear505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Ragingbear505
Member since 2008 • 819 Posts

Amnesia: The Dark Descent (Not really an rpg but it's heavy on story and cheap)
Baldur's Gate
Deus Ex
Dragon Age: Origins
Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind (There's a modpack called Morrowind 2011 that makes the game look nice)
Fallout: New Vegas

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

After having forked a month and half into WoW I've suddenly stopped liking it. I came to realize how hollow and pointless it really is. Not only that, but my "need" for playing has halted and I can't come up with single game that interest me.

So now I'm looking for a game with a good story, I don't mind playing an older RPG game as long as the story is actually good and intriguing.

I already own Mass Effect 1/2 and The Witcher wasn't really me.

Any ideas?

danish-death

• Grim Fandango
  • The Longest Journey
  • Planescape Torment
  • Syberia
  • Knights of the old Republic 1 & 2
  • Baldur's Gate 1 + expansion; Baldur's Gate 2 + expansion
  • Beyond Good & Evil
  • Fallout 2
  • Silent Hill 2
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#5 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Dragon Age - masterful.
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#6 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Cryostasis has a brillliant story that interacts well with the gameplay. It runs like crap, though, so you'll need a good PC.

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 danish-death
Okay it seems like I should've posted a few more games I've played. I've also played the following: Dragon Age, Knights of the old republic, Fallout 3, Oblivion and Silent Hill 2. I must admit, that I'm not much of a horror gamer. Can Baldurs Gate and Planescape be bought online?
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RK-Mara
Okay it seems like I should've posted a few more games I've played. I've also played the following: Dragon Age, Knights of the old republic, Fallout 3, Oblivion and Silent Hill 2. I must admit, that I'm not much of a horror gamer. Can Baldurs Gate and Planescape be bought online?danish-death
Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate 2.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

olice quest 1-4.. now of GoG for $10

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

There are some very good suggestions in this thread. I would like to add that since you already own Oblivion, you may be interested in checking Nehrim out. In terms of story, I wouldn't say it's as good as Planescape or The Longest Journey, but it's pretty dang good. The main quest will compel you to keep playing as it's interesting and at times just plain exciting. Also, the main quest is huge. There are 5 acts total and I'm not even finished with Act 2...and I've already got 36 hours in the game.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RK-Mara

There are some very good suggestions in this thread. I would like to add that since you already own Oblivion, you may be interested in checking Nehrim out. In terms of story, I wouldn't say it's as good as Planescape or The Longest Journey, but it's pretty dang good. The main quest will compel you to keep playing as it's interesting and at times just plain exciting. Also, the main quest is huge. There are 5 acts total and I'm not even finished with Act 2...and I've already got 36 hours in the game.

StrawberryHill
Why haven't I heard of Nehrim before? I see the mod is German, so is the English localization any good? I'm afraid my German vocabulary of fantasy words isn't good enough to enjoy the game.
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 StrawberryHill

[QUOTE="StrawberryHill"]

RK-Mara

Why haven't I heard of Nehrim before? I see the mod is German, so is the English localization any good? I'm afraid my German vocabulary of fantasy words isn't good enough to enjoy the game.

The voice acting remains in German, but all of the dialog is subtitled in the English version...they did a really good job of translating it. It's kind of like watching a foreign film with subs, except you're playing it.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

been following this game..

http://reckoningthegame.com/

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RK-Mara

[QUOTE="RK-Mara"][QUOTE="StrawberryHill"]

StrawberryHill

The voice acting remains in German, but all of the dialog is subtitled in the English version...they did a really good job of translating it. It's kind of like watching a foreign film with subs, except you're playing it.

That could give me a chance to improve my German. Now I just need to find my copy of Oblivion...
SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts
Dragon Age - masterful. biggest_loser
The best PC RPG since Kotor IMO... better than Kotor I would say.
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 StrawberryHill

[QUOTE="StrawberryHill"]

[QUOTE="RK-Mara"]Why haven't I heard of Nehrim before? I see the mod is German, so is the English localization any good? I'm afraid my German vocabulary of fantasy words isn't good enough to enjoy the game.RK-Mara

That could give me a chance to improve my German. Now I just need to find my copy of Oblivion...

Happy hunting. :)

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Planescape: Torment.

I've just started playing it and it's undoubtely one of the best RPGs ever crafted.

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Dragon Age - masterful. SkyWard20

One of the worst story an RPG could have...thats Dragon Age...it sucks donkey ballz...

Anyways...

For OP...

If you didnt like The Witcher(story wise)...than i think you should gave up ur searching for a good story based game...if THAT story wasnt for you than you will never find a game with a story that you would like...

P.S. try The Longest Journey or Syberia series...if that dosent satisfies you...than give up gaming all together!

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#19 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Get Drakensang: The River Of Time, only 20$ and is a nice old school type of rpg that just came out. Has a good story and fun characters.

Divine Divinity, The Witcher, Dragon Age, PLanscape Torment, Risen and Baldurs Gate2 also worth checking out.

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

Neverwinter Nights 2 + Mask of the betrayer. That will keep you busy for a long time!

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

[QUOTE="SkyWard20"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Dragon Age - masterful. rhazzy

One of the worst story an RPG could have...thats Dragon Age...it sucks donkey ballz...

Anyways...

For OP...

If you didnt like The Witcher(story wise)...than i think you should gave up ur searching for a good story based game...if THAT story wasnt for you than you will never find a game with a story that you would like...

P.S. try The Longest Journey or Syberia series...if that dosent satisfies you...than give up gaming all together!

Hey, I thought the TC wanted to be entertained... not bored to death by stale characters and passable voice-acting...
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 danish-death

[QUOTE="SkyWard20"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Dragon Age - masterful. rhazzy

Anyways...

For OP...

I didn't enjoy the combat in The Witcher. I might give it a try again some day. Even though I'm seeking a good story it doesn't mean I should completely neglect the gameplay aspect. :)
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
The longest journey + DreamFall just get the goty editionof dreamfall as it includes both games in it.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 danish-death
Alright so I got Baldurs Gate and I'm having some serious issues. When equip a sword in the shield/sword equipment slot my game crashes. It also crashes when I try to use the key.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Alright so I got Baldurs Gate and I'm having some serious issues. When equip a sword in the shield/sword equipment slot my game crashes. It also crashes when I try to use the key. danish-death

Where did you get the game? Is it patched? Which OS are you using? Are you using any mods (like the high rez. patch)? In other words, more information please.

ralph2190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ralph2190
Member since 2007 • 705 Posts

Anyways...

For OP...

rhazzy

I disagree. DAO had a great story and based on lore that will just suck you in.

Other good story based games would be: The Witcher, Mass Effect, KOTOR and lots of others, mostly RPGs.

hungry_pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 hungry_pirate
Member since 2010 • 264 Posts

It seems you played most of the bioware games you should try jade empirethe pc versionhas pretty good graphics if you play on high res.
It's like kotor only more action based and not That long.
Also I agree you should give the witcher another try you will get used to the combat.
And of course just get fallout new vegas its a solid rpg.
Some other rpg's you might like are risen,divinity 2 and neverwinter night2.

iamrob7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#28 iamrob7
Member since 2007 • 2138 Posts

If you want a game with a good story and you haven't played Deus Ex. Play Deus Ex. It's freakin epic. Trust me.

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 danish-death

[QUOTE="danish-death"]Alright so I got Baldurs Gate and I'm having some serious issues. When equip a sword in the shield/sword equipment slot my game crashes. It also crashes when I try to use the key. -wildflower-

Where did you get the game? Is it patched? Which OS are you using? Are you using any mods (like the high rez. patch)? In other words, more information please.

I got it to work, but the game is well.. Too old for me I guess.. I don't like the fact that you manually have to use every character and I certainly don't like how I'm forced to read up on every spell to know their function. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong? Graphics are bad, but that alright. If only the above mentioned problems can be fixed the game is most likely really good.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 danish-death

If you want a game with a good story and you haven't played Deus Ex. Play Deus Ex. It's freakin epic. Trust me.

iamrob7
I played Deus Ex and I believe you had to try it when it was first released. Which I did not. :-/
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 danish-death

It seems you played most of the bioware games you should try jade empirethe pc versionhas pretty good graphics if you play on high res.
Also I agree you should give the witcher another try you will get used to the combat.

hungry_pirate

How's Risen?

kazakauskas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kazakauskas
Member since 2008 • 1332 Posts

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

[QUOTE="danish-death"]Alright so I got Baldurs Gate and I'm having some serious issues. When equip a sword in the shield/sword equipment slot my game crashes. It also crashes when I try to use the key. danish-death

I got it to work, but the game is well.. Too old for me I guess.. I don't like the fact that you manually have to use every character and I certainly don't like how I'm forced to read up on every spell to know their function. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong? Graphics are bad, but that alright. If only the above mentioned problems can be fixed the game is most likely really good.

Youre not doing anything wrong , but for me - thats the joy of BG series . I love magic system in that game , may be overwhelming at 1st , but if few hours you can get a hang of it .

If you dont like to command all party , then you shouldve said that you dont like party based rpgs from the start ^^

One thing you can do is install BG tutu or how its called ( if you have BG2 installed) it will run BG1 on BG2 engine .

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 danish-death

[QUOTE="danish-death"][QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

kazakauskas

Youre not doing anything wrong , but for me - thats the joy of BG series . I love magic system in that game , may be overwhelming at 1st , but if few hours you can get a hang of it .

If you dont like to command all party , then you shouldve said that you dont like party based rpgs from the start ^^

One thing you can do is install BG tutu or how its called ( if you have BG2 installed) it will run BG1 on BG2 engine .

I don't mind controlling the AI as in Dragon Age, but this is just a little too much. Maybe it would've been more enjoyable to control the characters if it wasn't because of the "missing" text.
iamrob7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#34 iamrob7
Member since 2007 • 2138 Posts

[QUOTE="iamrob7"]

danish-death

I played Deus Ex and I believe you had to try it when it was first released. Which I did not. :-/

Not really, the graphics and mechanics are seriously dated now obviously. However the story and the way it evolves hasn't really been topped to this day. How far did you get into it? If you didn't get very far before stopping, you are missing out. If you are looking for a good story based game, then there is none better, still.

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 StrawberryHill

[QUOTE="hungry_pirate"]

danish-death

How's Risen?

Risen is a lot of fun. It was one of my favorite games of 2009. There isn't much of a story, though.

Gamer-Geek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 Gamer-Geek
Member since 2009 • 357 Posts

dreamfall

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#37 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

I'm thinking Witcher so you can get ready for Witcher 2

cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts

been following this game..

http://reckoningthegame.com/

Gladestone1
The Curt Schilling game, I've been watching it too.
jun-hax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jun-hax
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Dragon Age

Fallout

Torchlight (gameplay like Diablo 2 but with better graphics, single player only)

Install D2 like I do and then uninstall it a week later only cause it gets uber repititve, then install it again 2 weeks later.

Starcraft 2 if you really want a challenging game...very very challenging. That game takes a lot of skill, patience, strategy..everything basically you have to be on your toes.

Honestly I have the same problem from time to time and what has helped me was...Honestly don't put any game on top of the pedastal. Just play a game for 10mins if you have to, enjoy it, and just move onto another game. If your looking for something with more meaning, something that just intrigues you and gets you to play, then I recommend RPG. Games today are just so alike, they follow trends in media/movies, and everything is just a remake of another.

It just depends what your flavor of the week is and that is likely to change all the time. Just find your balance and you should be ok lol

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 danish-death

Dragon Age

Fallout

Torchlight (gameplay like Diablo 2 but with better graphics, single player only)

Install D2 like I do and then uninstall it a week later only cause it gets uber repititve, then install it again 2 weeks later.

Starcraft 2 if you really want a challenging game...very very challenging. That game takes a lot of skill, patience, strategy..everything basically you have to be on your toes.

Honestly I have the same problem from time to time and what has helped me was...Honestly don't put any game on top of the pedastal. Just play a game for 10mins if you have to, enjoy it, and just move onto another game. If your looking for something with more meaning, something that just intrigues you and gets you to play, then I recommend RPG. Games today are just so alike, they follow trends in media/movies, and everything is just a remake of another.

It just depends what your flavor of the week is and that is likely to change all the time. Just find your balance and you should be ok lol

jun-hax
I already have SC2. Finished the game on normal and the first part of the campaign on brutal. :) I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, so I guess I'll keep searching and try some of the mentioned games. Atleast I should be getting Little Big Planet 2 next week, so in any case atleast that game can entertain me, regardless of story.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 danish-death
Anybody played Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight??
Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Playing it now..Its tough at times..It reminds me of the old gothic games..Cant go into certain areas until a lvl..Mobs do own you at times..Very good rpg in my eyes...

naughtyandbad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 naughtyandbad
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Get Silent Hill 2. It has one of the very best stories you'll ever, ever experience. You could also try Dead Space. A lot of people wouldn't really think of that as an overtly story driven game, but it really is, it's just a game you have to work with to get stuff out of it. The game's universe is very dense and layered and you really have to pay attention to little things, but the payoff is enormous. There's also LOADS of associated media such as the prequel anime (Dead Space Downfall), prequel novel (Dead Space Martyr), prequel game (Dead Space Extraction (console exclusive, sadly)), sequel graphic novel (Dead Space Salvage), and the sequel anime (Dead Space Aftermath) and then the upcoming sequel game Dead Space 2. Get all of those and you will have a vast amount of story to digest amonst various media. Also, I'd just like to point out that MMORPGs are not pointless. Their point is fun/pleasure/satisfaction, as with any game. Enjoyment is an end, not a means. You may spend a thouand hours and have nothing to "show for it", but if you enjoyed it, how does it differ from any other game?
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 danish-death
[QUOTE="naughtyandbad"]Get Silent Hill 2. It has one of the very best stories you'll ever, ever experience. You could also try Dead Space. A lot of people wouldn't really think of that as an overtly story driven game, but it really is, it's just a game you have to work with to get stuff out of it. The game's universe is very dense and layered and you really have to pay attention to little things, but the payoff is enormous. There's also LOADS of associated media such as the prequel anime (Dead Space Downfall), prequel novel (Dead Space Martyr), prequel game (Dead Space Extraction (console exclusive, sadly)), sequel graphic novel (Dead Space Salvage), and the sequel anime (Dead Space Aftermath) and then the upcoming sequel game Dead Space 2. Get all of those and you will have a vast amount of story to digest amonst various media. Also, I'd just like to point out that MMORPGs are not pointless. Their point is fun/pleasure/satisfaction, as with any game. Enjoyment is an end, not a means. You may spend a thouand hours and have nothing to "show for it", but if you enjoyed it, how does it differ from any other game?

leveling in WoW is a boring grind and waiting 30 minutes as DPS to do HC is just plain wrong. Anyway that's not what this thread is about. Since I'm a nub I can't get myself to play horror games. I have however started playing Divinity 2 and it's rather good so far. :)