My 2 cents on one aspect of the format war

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BadAndy642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BadAndy642
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts

First off, all information below is fromindustry insiders at the avsforum. I don't have the time to sift back through all of the pages to provide links for each, but you are more than welcome to. Here we go.........

Whatsome you guys don't get is that Blu-ray is not ready for mass production. Did you know that only Sony has the facilities toproduce BD-50 discs? And on top of that there are only two, and are only capable of producing 4-5 million discs per month. The BDA pushes BD-50's so much. but they can produce very little. Think about it. A movie like 300 can sell as many as 5 million in its first week on standard DVD. So it would take a whole month to make the discs and absolutely nothing else can be made during that time on BD-50. So why don't we see more BD-50 replication plants? It is estimated that they can cost more than $50 million to build. A BD-25 replication plant costs around $10 million, and actually there are only nine of these. So you have 11 total replication plants currently runningto make supposedmillions upon millions of discs for computers, video games, and movies. Nobody is building anymore right now since the format war is going on. Hate to invest all of that money if the technology went under.

HD DVD on the other hand is based off the physical disc structure of standard DVD. It is estimated to cost around $100-250k to reformat a current line to output in HD DVD or only 1 million to build one from the ground up. So with very little investment HD DVD's can be outputting in the same numbers as DVD in no time.

Also disc pricing is important. No one really knew how much that it cost to publish in the formats, but finally an independent company finally has pricing for customerswho want to publish in either format:

http://www.pacificdisc.com/PricingBluRay.html

As you can see, Pacificdisc can not even make BD-50's so BD-25's will have to do. But remember that the BDA is pushing BD-50's so you'll have to add $.25 - $1.00 more per disc if it was made on BD-50 (we don't know the exact number but many feel that it is definately higher than $.50 due to poor yield rates with BD-50)

http://www.pacificdisc.com/PricingHD-DVD.html

As you can see it is much cheaper to have packaged media in HD DVD. This is why many independent/indie studios have chosen HD DVD, because they can't produce in extremely large numbers, but even these figures matter for large studios like Paramount. Which I feel this is one of many decisions for them to go HD-exclusive. HD DVD can get to mass production quickly and the companies that are with them will make great profits.

What are your thoughts?

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts
Well as far as the BD-50 factories are concerned it doesn't matter right now because the demand is well below what the supply requires. There have been less than 4 million HD discs (both formats) sold, so it is irrelevant to question how quickly (or slowly) they can be made at this point.

I would also assume that if demand started to increase more factories would be made.

Who really cares about this format war anyway? Anyone that actually cares about getting movies in HD are going to have both formats and anyone that doesn't knows full well that their chosen format may fail.

With all of the floundering that is going on within either camp it just makes the general public roll their eyes and walk away. Because in all honesty DVD does fine for most people and there isn't a significant difference to justify "Mom and Pop" running out and dropping the money to buy the equipment to get the most out of Nacho Libre.

Shomb22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shomb22
Member since 2006 • 1190 Posts
Is it really true that some companies Paramount as you stated that will really go exclusivly to HD DVD? Thats not good for the movie business if you ask me. Then I guess I would have to buy a regluar dvd for my blu ray player under Paramount Pictures.
Shomb22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shomb22
Member since 2006 • 1190 Posts
I answerd my own question, yes. Nickalodeon Movies, MTV Films, Dreamworks. This exclusivity wont last.
HowardB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HowardB
Member since 2002 • 1689 Posts

Limited production facilities, low production output, yield problems, higher replication costs are all problems people following the developing format war have know about for close to two years. There's nothing revelatory about any of this.

Despite all the doom and gloom, whether fabricated or genuine, exaggerated or accurate, Blu-ray is more than holding its own against HD-DVD.

Dansaytoday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Dansaytoday
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

This seems to be the case, there's not a lot of facilities than can do Blu ray- replication, especially author for blu-ray. The cost of a blu-ray plant is actually less than 10 million, theres one company out there than can duplicate blu ray and replicate it .

http://www.usadubs.com

Blu-ray doesn't seem like it will be discontinued, however, if higher capacities start coming out then the nature of technology might make a lot of stuff become outdated.

Boxcutters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Boxcutters
Member since 2007 • 850 Posts
The war is over, blu-ray won. Nothing else matters.