msi gtx 980ti hard freeze

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xeffectx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xeffectx
Member since 2004 • 227 Posts

Hey guys new to the forums yet. I am encountering a problem with my card; it happens every so often in which my screen freezes while gaming and there is a sound loop, requiring me to to do a hard reset now I had my cpu and gpu overclocked I returned them all to stock settings and it still freezes forcing me to do a manual hard reset. No I am not sure if its the hardware (GPU) or Software (Drivers) which are causing the problem I just wanted all of your input to see if you guys can help me out thanks so much guys and gals. CPU: 2700K 3.9ghz turbo (was overclocked to 4.2ghz turbo) RAM: G SKILL 1300MHZ 8GBPSU: Corsair TX 750 WATTSDriver Version (Nvidia): 358.91Ran Memory test on RAM and it was fine no errors, the card only crashes in games but is fine when just doing regular browsing.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#2  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17902 Posts

Do you have overlay programs like Afterburner/Riva Tuner running? I find these tend to cause crashes in some games. I launch afterburner, apply my overclock, and then close it and the overclock remains. This gives me added stability.

xeffectx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 xeffectx
Member since 2004 • 227 Posts

@BassMan: how do you close out of afterburner or precision but the overclock still remains?

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Did you monitor your temps? Could be overheating.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#5  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17902 Posts
@xeffectx said:

@BassMan: how do you close out of afterburner or precision but the overclock still remains?

Open up afterburner and set your overclock or load your preset. Hit apply and close afterburner. The overclock will stay applied until you reboot your system or manually change it. You can verify it in GPU-Z if you like.