Mouse acceleration or what ??? HELP !!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by FelipeInside (26653 posts) -

Ok, this is a bit hard to explain but here goes.

I really don't know what mouse acceleration is because I haven't experienced it myself, but something is happening that might be related?

I seems to happen ONLY in MMOs, so far I've seen it do it with WoW, Wildstar and Guild Wars 2.

Basically everything is working fine and smooth, but then all of a sudden my view changes INSTANTLY to somewhere I wasn't looking.

So I might be running with my character forward and all of a sudden I'm looking at the sky.

It doesn't happen constantly either, just a random intervals and seems to be with MMOs since I haven't noticed it on other games.

Any ideas?

Cheers

#2 Posted by KHAndAnime (15021 posts) -

You're experiencing mouse acceleration every time you use your computer (or move your mouse). Unless you have mouse acceleration turned off in your OS... but I'm assuming you probably don't because you don't even know what it is. What you're describing is something else entirely.

#3 Posted by PredatorRules (9084 posts) -

I hate mouse acceleration, I never turn it on; I experienced it for once on some game it was default on, If you try it on FPS game that's terrible, What it does basically I think is the game analyze the distance you moved your mouse and redirects your view instantly there, it feels like it teleports your view.

#4 Posted by guynamedbilly (12967 posts) -

I used to get this problem when playing City of Heroes. I believe it was a conflict between one of the graphical settings in the game that I liked so much that I just switched to a different mouse and got it to work.

You can try the basics though. Disable all other programs before you start. Disable any screen overlays like Steam or Raptr. Update drivers. Disable unnecessary services.

#5 Edited by KHAndAnime (15021 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

I hate mouse acceleration, I never turn it on; I experienced it for once on some game it was default on, If you try it on FPS game that's terrible, What it does basically I think is the game analyze the distance you moved your mouse and redirects your view instantly there, it feels like it teleports your view.

That's not what it is. And it's really a matter of turning it off. It's on by default in just about everything, including Windows. If you don't have it disabled in your OS through the hardware manager or registry edit, it's on for you right now (and in all the games you play).

All mouse acceleration does is increase/decrease the distance your mouse moves taking into consideration how fast you move the mouse. For example, with mouse acceleration off, moving your mouse 1-inch on an 800-dpi mouse would move your cursor 800 pixels on your screen at a normal sensitivity setting. With mouse acceleration turned on, moving your mouse 1-inch on an 800-dpi mouse could move your cursor anywhere from 300-1100 pixels - depending entirely on how fast you move the mouse.

#6 Edited by PredatorRules (9084 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

@PredatorRules said:

I hate mouse acceleration, I never turn it on; I experienced it for once on some game it was default on, If you try it on FPS game that's terrible, What it does basically I think is the game analyze the distance you moved your mouse and redirects your view instantly there, it feels like it teleports your view.

That's not what it is. And it's really a matter of turning it off. It's on by default in just about everything, including Windows. If you don't have it disabled in your OS through the hardware manager or registry edit, it's on for you right now (and in all the games you play).

All mouse acceleration does is increase/decrease the distance your mouse moves taking into consideration how fast you move the mouse. For example, with mouse acceleration off, moving your mouse 1-inch on an 800-dpi mouse would move your cursor 800 pixels on your screen at a normal sensitivity setting. With mouse acceleration turned on, moving your mouse 1-inch on an 800-dpi mouse could move your cursor anywhere from 300-1100 pixels - depending entirely on how fast you move the mouse.

No, it's not turned on by default, maybe for you; I have my set of dpi with my gaming mouse so that's doesn't happen so often unless some game force it.

Acceleration in games at least is where you move your mouse really fast in a direction for small distance and it actually moves your looks in FPS for example much far from where you've stopped your mouse.

#7 Posted by FelipeInside (26653 posts) -

Ok, so we can determine it may not be mouse acceleration.

Any other ideas?

#8 Edited by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

That is definitely NOT mouse acceleration. It could be an internal problem within your mouse. Double check all your settings in the mouse app and see if anything has been changed by accident. If not, your mouse sensor or something inside could be going bonkers.

Now I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the camera settings in game because this is usually the case with MMOs. I've had this happen in World of Warcraft. Does it use "smart camera" or something to that effect? The option that allows the camera to follow you from an angle. I want to think that your mouse settings (driver, app) conflicts with the three MMOs' camera settings.

I'm ruling out game-client issue because it's happening in three different games.

I would default all the settings on the mouse application and the three games. See what happens.

#9 Edited by KHAndAnime (15021 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@PredatorRules said:

I hate mouse acceleration, I never turn it on; I experienced it for once on some game it was default on, If you try it on FPS game that's terrible, What it does basically I think is the game analyze the distance you moved your mouse and redirects your view instantly there, it feels like it teleports your view.

That's not what it is. And it's really a matter of turning it off. It's on by default in just about everything, including Windows. If you don't have it disabled in your OS through the hardware manager or registry edit, it's on for you right now (and in all the games you play).

All mouse acceleration does is increase/decrease the distance your mouse moves taking into consideration how fast you move the mouse. For example, with mouse acceleration off, moving your mouse 1-inch on an 800-dpi mouse would move your cursor 800 pixels on your screen at a normal sensitivity setting. With mouse acceleration turned on, moving your mouse 1-inch on an 800-dpi mouse could move your cursor anywhere from 300-1100 pixels - depending entirely on how fast you move the mouse.

No, it's not turned on by default, maybe for you; I have my set of dpi with my gaming mouse so that's doesn't happen so often unless some game force it.

Acceleration in games at least is where you move your mouse really fast in a direction for small distance and it actually moves your looks in FPS for example much far from where you've stopped your mouse.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/landing/sentinel_advance/faq2.jpg

This setting is default to ON in everyone's Operating System. It is mouse acceleration. On every clean install of an OS, it is on by default. Unless you pirated Windows or installing your mouse drivers somehow disabled it, it should be on, because that is the global default setting (on everyone's computer). 5 seconds of Google-Fu can confirm this.

DPI settings on your game mouse are irrelevant to if you have mouse acceleration turned on or not. If you haven't disabled it manually, it is indeed on for you.

Go to Start > Search "Mouse". Open up "Mouse" to bring up Mouse Properties. Go to the "Pointer Options" tab. If it's checked, then you have it on.

#10 Edited by PredatorRules (9084 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

@PredatorRules said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@PredatorRules said:

I hate mouse acceleration, I never turn it on; I experienced it for once on some game it was default on, If you try it on FPS game that's terrible, What it does basically I think is the game analyze the distance you moved your mouse and redirects your view instantly there, it feels like it teleports your view.

That's not what it is. And it's really a matter of turning it off. It's on by default in just about everything, including Windows. If you don't have it disabled in your OS through the hardware manager or registry edit, it's on for you right now (and in all the games you play).

All mouse acceleration does is increase/decrease the distance your mouse moves taking into consideration how fast you move the mouse. For example, with mouse acceleration off, moving your mouse 1-inch on an 800-dpi mouse would move your cursor 800 pixels on your screen at a normal sensitivity setting. With mouse acceleration turned on, moving your mouse 1-inch on an 800-dpi mouse could move your cursor anywhere from 300-1100 pixels - depending entirely on how fast you move the mouse.

No, it's not turned on by default, maybe for you; I have my set of dpi with my gaming mouse so that's doesn't happen so often unless some game force it.

Acceleration in games at least is where you move your mouse really fast in a direction for small distance and it actually moves your looks in FPS for example much far from where you've stopped your mouse.

This setting is default to ON in everyone's Operating System. It is mouse acceleration. On every clean install of an OS, it is on by default. Unless you pirated Windows or installing your mouse drivers somehow disabled it, it should be on, because that is the global default setting (on everyone's computer). 5 seconds of Google-Fu can confirm this.

DPI settings on your game mouse are irrelevant to if you have mouse acceleration turned on or not. If you haven't disabled it manually, it is indeed on for you.

Go to Start > Search "Mouse". Open up "Mouse" to bring up Mouse Properties. Go to the "Pointer Options" tab. If it's checked, then you have it on.

It's checked so I guess it's on, never had any problems with it; the default windows acceleration is so small probably or it doesn't work in applications at all, doesn't matter for me as long as the game doesn't accelerate more than that.

#11 Posted by KHAndAnime (15021 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@PredatorRules said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@PredatorRules said:

I hate mouse acceleration, I never turn it on; I experienced it for once on some game it was default on, If you try it on FPS game that's terrible, What it does basically I think is the game analyze the distance you moved your mouse and redirects your view instantly there, it feels like it teleports your view.

That's not what it is. And it's really a matter of turning it off. It's on by default in just about everything, including Windows. If you don't have it disabled in your OS through the hardware manager or registry edit, it's on for you right now (and in all the games you play).

All mouse acceleration does is increase/decrease the distance your mouse moves taking into consideration how fast you move the mouse. For example, with mouse acceleration off, moving your mouse 1-inch on an 800-dpi mouse would move your cursor 800 pixels on your screen at a normal sensitivity setting. With mouse acceleration turned on, moving your mouse 1-inch on an 800-dpi mouse could move your cursor anywhere from 300-1100 pixels - depending entirely on how fast you move the mouse.

No, it's not turned on by default, maybe for you; I have my set of dpi with my gaming mouse so that's doesn't happen so often unless some game force it.

Acceleration in games at least is where you move your mouse really fast in a direction for small distance and it actually moves your looks in FPS for example much far from where you've stopped your mouse.

This setting is default to ON in everyone's Operating System. It is mouse acceleration. On every clean install of an OS, it is on by default. Unless you pirated Windows or installing your mouse drivers somehow disabled it, it should be on, because that is the global default setting (on everyone's computer). 5 seconds of Google-Fu can confirm this.

DPI settings on your game mouse are irrelevant to if you have mouse acceleration turned on or not. If you haven't disabled it manually, it is indeed on for you.

Go to Start > Search "Mouse". Open up "Mouse" to bring up Mouse Properties. Go to the "Pointer Options" tab. If it's checked, then you have it on.

It's checked so I guess it's on, never had any problems with it; the default windows acceleration is so small probably or it doesn't work in applications at all, doesn't matter for me as long as the game doesn't accelerate more than that.

Personally I find the OS-level acceleration to have a really significant effect, for me at least. I absolutely need to have it off if I'm playing any shooting games. I do much worse with it on.

#12 Posted by FelipeInside (26653 posts) -

@Elann2008 said:

That is definitely NOT mouse acceleration. It could be an internal problem within your mouse. Double check all your settings in the mouse app and see if anything has been changed by accident. If not, your mouse sensor or something inside could be going bonkers.

Now I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the camera settings in game because this is usually the case with MMOs. I've had this happen in World of Warcraft. Does it use "smart camera" or something to that effect? The option that allows the camera to follow you from an angle. I want to think that your mouse settings (driver, app) conflicts with the three MMOs' camera settings.

I'm ruling out game-client issue because it's happening in three different games.

I would default all the settings on the mouse application and the three games. See what happens.

Good idea about the "smart camera".

I'll give that a go thanks.

#13 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

@Elann2008 said:

That is definitely NOT mouse acceleration. It could be an internal problem within your mouse. Double check all your settings in the mouse app and see if anything has been changed by accident. If not, your mouse sensor or something inside could be going bonkers.

Now I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the camera settings in game because this is usually the case with MMOs. I've had this happen in World of Warcraft. Does it use "smart camera" or something to that effect? The option that allows the camera to follow you from an angle. I want to think that your mouse settings (driver, app) conflicts with the three MMOs' camera settings.

I'm ruling out game-client issue because it's happening in three different games.

I would default all the settings on the mouse application and the three games. See what happens.

Good idea about the "smart camera".

I'll give that a go thanks.

Np man! Any time.

#14 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23982 posts) -

I don't know the problem you are having is but I'd like to clear up a few things.

Some games use direct input, this ignores Window's settings.

Mouse acceleration is debatable, some prefer it, some don't like it.

I used to use it for Quake Live, as do many others, but I stopped because it made transitioning between games harder and it plain doesn't make any sense for a game with such close range combat. When people use it, they use Quake Live's mouse acceleration options, not anything from Windows(not that it would do anything since the default is in_mouse -1 which is direct input, not calling the windows mouse grab function)

What you are describing is not mouse acceleration, it's something going wrong in your game/hardware/computer.

I don't know if guild wars 2 uses direct input, but yes you should always disable windows pointer precision regardless. That will affect games that do not use direct input, and it's horrible even on the desktop.

#15 Edited by KHAndAnime (15021 posts) -

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

I don't know the problem you are having is but I'd like to clear up a few things.

Some games use direct input, this ignores Window's settings.

Mouse acceleration is debatable, some prefer it, some don't like it.

I used to use it for Quake Live, as do many others, but I stopped because it made transitioning between games harder and it plain doesn't make any sense for a game with such close range combat. When people use it, they use Quake Live's mouse acceleration options, not anything from Windows(not that it would do anything since the default is in_mouse -1 which is direct input, not calling the windows mouse grab function)

What you are describing is not mouse acceleration, it's something going wrong in your game/hardware/computer.

I don't know if guild wars 2 uses direct input, but yes you should always disable windows pointer precision regardless. That will affect games that do not use direct input, and it's horrible even on the desktop.

I forgot to point out - you're completely right. Mouse acceleration is certainly a preference. It might be helpful to practice with both and see what better suits you. Some people think it feels way wonkier with it on or off.

#16 Posted by kraken2109 (13257 posts) -

Have you tried cleaning your mouse sensor and mouse pad?

#17 Posted by FelipeInside (26653 posts) -

@kraken2109 said:

Have you tried cleaning your mouse sensor and mouse pad?

All my desk is normally pretty clean, but it seems to happen only with MMOs. If it was a sensor thing it would happen in Windows too wouldn't it?

#18 Posted by PredatorRules (9084 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

it seems to happen only with MMOs.

I assume some mouse setting is on in game options

#19 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

@kraken2109 said:

Have you tried cleaning your mouse sensor and mouse pad?

All my desk is normally pretty clean, but it seems to happen only with MMOs. If it was a sensor thing it would happen in Windows too wouldn't it?

I am sure it's a mouse (hardware), software, game conflict. Which mouse do you use? You never mentioned.

#20 Posted by FelipeInside (26653 posts) -

@Elann2008 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@kraken2109 said:

Have you tried cleaning your mouse sensor and mouse pad?

All my desk is normally pretty clean, but it seems to happen only with MMOs. If it was a sensor thing it would happen in Windows too wouldn't it?

I am sure it's a mouse (hardware), software, game conflict. Which mouse do you use? You never mentioned.

Logitech G700

I use it wired so it's not a wireless signal thing either.