Morrowind fan, Thinking about Oblivion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Taloskai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 0

#1 Taloskai
Member since 2006 • 188 Posts

I LOVE Morrowind, after a good 4 days playing, I'm hooked. After this high runs out (possibly 2 weeks more till that) is Oblibion for me? I saw some people say that Morrowind is better than Oblivion and vice versa. Please help me.

THERSOfi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 THERSOfi
Member since 2005 • 1214 Posts
Its a great game... definitely worth buying.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
People who say Oblivion is better than Morrowind are nuts.
Anofalye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 Anofalye
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts
I enjoy and like both.
Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts
No, you will hate it. They took everything good about morrowind and took it out.
CodeZebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CodeZebra
Member since 2003 • 218 Posts
There's a different feel to Oblivion. Personally, I prefer Morrowind to Oblivion because Morrowind feels a bit better-paced and deeper, at least to me. Even then though, Oblivion is an amazing game and definitely worth the purchase. It just might not be your cup of tea, perhaps, to the extent that Morrowind is.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#7 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts
depends what you like about the game. i personally liked oblivion better, and i have one friend who agrees with me, and another who thinks morrowind was better. oblivion is more realistic, less fantasyish, although it still has an element of fantasy. the combat is improved in oblivion, but the main quest is shorter and not quite as engrossing. the guild quests are better and more numerous in oblivion. it's up to you.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

guild quests are more numerous in oblivion. with_teeth26

You sure about that? I thought Morrowind had much more guild quests. Hell, I can't even recall beating any guilds. Where I beat each guild in Oblivion and most of the took around 3 hours each.

Taloskai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#9 Taloskai
Member since 2006 • 188 Posts
I loved the way that they introduced you to Morrowind and you used regisration papers to get your class and things like that. Little details like that made Morrowind shine. Oh, and I think 400 quests helped too :)
RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Its really apples and oranges with those two. Even though they are part of the same series they are really very different RPG experiences. With Morrowind I liked the sense of danger and the exploration, but hated the combat and questing in general. With Oblivion I liked the combat and questing, but hated the fact that everywhere was map travelable (takes out of exploration, even I can be lazy sometimes) and the fact that all the monsters level up with you (no sense of danger, luckily theres mods that fix that).

Personally I prefer Oblivion, but I still like Morrowind a whole lot.

Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Noldorin2646
Member since 2007 • 641 Posts

[QUOTE="with_teeth26"]guild quests are more numerous in oblivion. GodLovesDead

You sure about that? I thought Morrowind had much more guild quests. Hell, I can't even recall beating any guilds. Where I beat each guild in Oblivion and most of the took around 3 hours each.

Yeah I thought so too. Oblivion had just the fighters, the mage, the thieves, and Dark Brotherhood, right? Morrowind had all of that plus the Temple, the Imperial Shrine, and Imperial Legion if I remember correctly.

Grim_Wolf88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Grim_Wolf88
Member since 2006 • 901 Posts
[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]

[QUOTE="with_teeth26"]guild quests are more numerous in oblivion. Noldorin2646

Yeah I thought so too. Oblivion had just the fighters, the mage, the thieves, and Dark Brotherhood, right? Morrowind had all of that plus the Temple, the Imperial Shrine, and Imperial Legion if I remember correctly.

Plus House Hlaalu, Redoran, and Telvanni...

Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Noldorin2646
Member since 2007 • 641 Posts
[QUOTE="Noldorin2646"][QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]

[QUOTE="with_teeth26"]guild quests are more numerous in oblivion. Grim_Wolf88

Plus House Hlaalu, Redoran, and Telvanni...

Oh yeah! How could I have forgotten? Those stronghold quests were so much fun.

PyroPice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PyroPice
Member since 2007 • 443 Posts
morrowind>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Oblivion , i hated oblivion.
zora_db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 zora_db
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Don't rush out for Oblivion. Get the expansions for Morrowind, try out some of the mods... play it again and do a different House / Guild. I played Morrowind for over a year without it going stale.
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts

Morrowind + Expansions is far superior to Oblivion. Heck, just Morrowind alone is better.

Frankly, the thing most commonly cited as the best part of Oblivion (combat) is relatively easy to add through mods. So basically you just end up with a shallower version of Morrowind that just won't satisfy if you get Oblivion.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts
i'm not a huge fan of morrowind (i think it's pretty good though), but i can see why people like it so much. and, objectively, i can see that it's a very good role-playing game. however, i can't stand oblivion, and i can't for the life of me see why anyone would enjoy this game.
mrmarrero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 mrmarrero
Member since 2007 • 343 Posts

Well, I've played both and logged hundreds (if not thousands) of hours between them. To be honest, I love them both, but like a previous poster said - for completely different reasons. I truly loved the AI in Oblivion. I know many would disagree, but I loved watching the NPC's go about their daily routines, etc.

Anyway, for what it's worth I'd say go for it. Especially since the price continues to steadily drop.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

Morrowind is better than Oblivion in almost every way, but i've heard people say the opposite. You might like Oblivion and you might hate it. No one on this forum can predict that, you have to try it out for yourself.

Just be sure to mod the hell out of Oblivion if you decide to get it.

foggy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 foggy666
Member since 2003 • 1123 Posts

I loved morrowind, played for a long time, played oblivion a lot too, but for me the problem with oblivion was that everything felt not connected, i didnt feel like the hero of kvatch, i felt like doing chores, the whole game felt like doing some tasks that no one care for. i loved climbing the mountains and looking for caves, then running away when finding that inside there is some huge monster, then train long time, come back and defeat it and take the loot. you dont have that in oblivion, even with the mods.

Avatar image for dan-rofl-copter
dan-rofl-copter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dan-rofl-copter
Member since 2008 • 2702 Posts
its a good game and the two expansion packs add some good content too
Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#22 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

Consider getting the game of the year edition. It will include the original game, expansion and the downloadable pack.

http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-IV-Oblivion-Game/dp/B000V9C9FO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1211731900&sr=8-2

GreaterthanG0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GreaterthanG0d
Member since 2006 • 452 Posts

Although there is not doubt oblivion is a beautiful game, I was severly let down by its lack of variety.

Only get this if you will also get Shivering Isles, otherwise you may be disappointed. Dont get me wrong though, oblivion is still an epic game. (If a little buggy)

Jayel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jayel
Member since 2002 • 268 Posts
I actually enjoyed the Shivering Isles expansion more than the original Oblivion, but neither was as good for me, as Morrowind.