Monitor question(s)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cfwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 cfwin
Member since 2006 • 344 Posts

So in the constant quest of attaining PC-perfection I have been looking into getting a proper hi-res monitor and my eye has been caught by the Dell U2711 but I have a couple of questions:

1. This model is over a year old, is Dell coming out with a replacement/revision of this size monitor in the next six-month period, knowledge/speculation?

2. Is there another, competing 27-30" monitor out there with 2560x1440(1600) resolution and no TN-panel in the samish price range?

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

1) probably not. monitors bigger than 24 inches tend to have long life cycles due to relatively low demand.

2) Yes, there are a few. Apple Cinema Display and Hazro HZ27WC are the only glossy 27" out there. Hazro HZ27WB is the non-glossy version. LG and NEC also have several 27" models. I recommend reading tftcentral.co.uk for some indepth reviews of monitors you may be interested in.

cfwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 cfwin

^^Thanx alot, will check out the site. I am a bit stumped on the glossy vs. matte finish, I read some reviews (from users, not professional reviewers) that complained quite bitterly about the anti-glare coating on the U2711, something no reviews mention.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts
matte vs glossy is nothing but preference. Some people like it because the colors are clearer and contrast is more apparent. However on dark colors, you'll see reflections and some people dont like it. It depends heavily on your room lighting. Matte doesn't have reflections, but each manufacturer has their own blend of anti-glare matte coating. Its the same as the glossy though. Some people dont like how pronounced the anti-glare is. And some people can't deal with the reflections OR the anti-glare and can't be satisfied.
fishing666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 fishing666
Member since 2004 • 2113 Posts
the only high-res monitors i know of is the dell and apple cinema monitors. the apple cinema display is amazing, i dont know about the dell monitor tho
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11792 Posts

1) probably not. monitors bigger than 24 inches tend to have long life cycles due to relatively low demand.

2) Yes, there are a few. Apple Cinema Display and Hazro HZ27WC are the only glossy 27" out there. Hazro HZ27WB is the non-glossy version. LG and NEC also have several 27" models. I recommend reading tftcentral.co.uk for some indepth reviews of monitors you may be interested in.

XaosII

I recommend gloss.. For any screen It is better.. Just make sure the light reflection in the area you will be using it, isn't too bad.. you can always re-arrange the room... But the quality of the monitor/display itself is stagnant.

We (my GF and I) both use LG monitors, both have gloss screens, If you black out the room/let very little light in it, then there is literally no reflection.

hushamjaveed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hushamjaveed
Member since 2010 • 40 Posts
Monitors are old and now a days its value has been fallen...Use widescreen LCD..
cfwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cfwin

Monitors are old and now a days its value has been fallen...Use widescreen LCD..hushamjaveed

Great use of brilliant irony at best (being ironic here) or just plain weird?