Monitor Choice: Asus VG278H for 3d or Dell U2713HM for higher res?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

So I need a new monitor. Getting my tax return soon, and I am torn between two compelling technologies; 3d in 1080p and 2,560x1,440 resolution for sharpness.

Unlike many people I know, I actually am a big fan of 3D for games and movies, and I have a 3D Vision compatible GTX 580. However, I am concerned that the 3D quality of the $550 Asus is solid, but the 2D might be lacking. However I am concerned with the higher $700 price of the aformentioned Dell monitor, and that the response lag may present issues with some games. Also no 120HZ with the Dell.

What are your thoughts?

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

There are very, very, very few people out there who have the kind of money to have tried out both monitors. You will, at best, getpeopel to say "I own the dell/asus and i recommend it." You'll likely need to do more research on your own.

I tend to like tftcentral.co.uk's reviews as they are exhaustively detailed.

I'm personally more of a fan of IPS monitor like the Dell simply because its usefulness can work well outside of games and is far less dependant on your GPU performance than 3D monitors are. Response times on most IPS monitors (like that dell) are low enough to not be an issue for the vast majority of people.

If you really, really can't decide? Buy one, try it, return it, and then try the other. Given the amount of cash you are willing to drop on the monitors, you should be completely satisfied with it.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

There are very, very, very few people out there who have the kind of money to have tried out both monitors. You will, at best, getpeopel to say "I own the dell/asus and i recommend it." You'll likely need to do more research on your own.

I tend to like tftcentral.co.uk's reviews as they are exhaustively detailed.

I'm personally more of a fan of IPS monitor like the Dell simply because its usefulness can work well outside of games and is far less dependant on your GPU performance than 3D monitors are. Response times on most IPS monitors (like that dell) are low enough to not be an issue for the vast majority of people.

If you really, really can't decide? Buy one, try it, return it, and then try the other. Given the amount of cash you are willing to drop on the monitors, you should be completely satisfied with it.

XaosII

^ This is most logical if you can't figure out which one to buy with other's opinions.

5SI-GonePostal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 5SI-GonePostal
Member since 2004 • 391 Posts

What GPU do you have?  As this could be the deciding factor.

However if your system can handle both i would go for the higher res, purely because i find 3D to be a gimmick, where as a nice higher res or more is noticable.  I have a big 55" 3D TV in the front room, i barely watch anything in 3D anymore.  I have a PS3 connected to it and a good few games that use 3D, yes it is very nice and it looks great but it really doesnt make that much of a difference when playing and most the time i cant even be bothered to get the glasses/turn it on.  You need to decide what person you are:  a 3D freak who wont put their glasses down or a clarity person.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
I'll swear by the Dell. Asus largely makes "for gamer" monitors that feature gimmicks that appeal to gamers (3d, 120hz). Their monitors to me always seemed to be on the cheaper side. Dell's upper-tier of monitors are known for their stellar image quality and build quality, but carry are heftier price tag. Just depends if you want a vastly better picture, or a more responsive picture with the capability of doing 3D. Dell's higher end monitors may not be 120hz, but they are more responsive than most, so response lag shouldn't be an issue.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I appreciate the feedback. I have read several dozen reviews on both of these options, but it's nice to ask a community you trust.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127500 Posts
I'll swear by the Dell. Asus largely makes "for gamer" monitors that feature gimmicks that appeal to gamers (3d, 120hz). Their monitors to me always seemed to be on the cheaper side. Dell's upper-tier of monitors are known for their stellar image quality and build quality, but carry are heftier price tag. Just depends if you want a vastly better picture, or a more responsive picture with the capability of doing 3D. Dell's higher end monitors may not be 120hz, but they are more responsive than most, so response lag shouldn't be an issue.KHAndAnime
The ProArt (PA) series from Asus aren't exactly aimed at gamers, though gotta say they work pretty well for it as well.l