This topic is locked from further discussion.

Splatted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Splatted
Member since 2012 • 58 Posts

Hi guys, could any of you recommend a good monitor? I've looked at some in shops but they didn't have the ones I'd seen recommended and even the promo movies they were running all looked pretty grainy to me. It's obvious that the stats aren't the whole story and a monitor needs to be tried to be judged so it would be great if you could share your experience. Elsewhere I've seen the Asus VN247H recommended, but that was iirc at the beginning of the year and it is now older and more expensive so I'm wondering if there might not be a better option.

My price range is about £150-200 and I'll be using it for pretty much everything. (i.e. watching video, Ps3, surfing the web etc), but gaming is probably the priority. I'm also considering spending more since I'll use it so much, so feel free to mention slightly pricier monitors if you think they're worth stretching for.

Thanks for any help.

P.s. Does anyone know the difference between the Asus VN247H and the Asus VN247H-P?

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#2 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

I recommend the aoc i2757fh, great 27' monitor for good price.

Here's a review to check out: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412690,00.asp

Splatted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Splatted

Thanks for the reply

Hmm, that does look good but I wonder if a 27" is a good idea. I'm going to be sitting very close so I don't really want to sacrifice other aspects to increase the size. How do you feel the i2757fh compares with smaller screens in that price range?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Splatted said:

P.s. Does anyone know the difference between the Asus VN247H and the Asus VN247H-P?

Yes, the P version sucks more power, you can see that in the power consumption part - it takes 35W while the H version takes only 22W.

And the P version got only the "good design" award while the H took it as well as with other 2 more awards such as the "Energy saving" award etc.

The screen is uber good, 1:80m ratio with only 1ms.

Don't get the other screen that @DefconRave recommended you, no offense but it only got 1:20m ratio and response time of 5ms which is bad for gaming.

Splatted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Splatted

Cool thanks. I guess I'll go with the VN247H then.

P.s. I won't be buying it until the bank finishes clearing the money I paid in, so further comments are still appreciated.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

lol at people talking about manufacturer stated response times and contrast ratios, they're both completely made up numbers.

These days with monitors you either want an IPS panel for picture quality and viewing angles or a 120hz TN panel for competitive gaming. I'm not sure if there are any 120hz panels in your price range, but there will be some IPS panels that should be fine for most gaming.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

The HP 2511x is supposed to be good for the price. It's only $179.99, which isn't bad at all for a 25" monitor...

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@kraken2109 said:

lol at people talking about manufacturer stated response times and contrast ratios, they're both completely made up numbers.

These days with monitors you either want an IPS panel for picture quality and viewing angles or a 120hz TN panel for competitive gaming. I'm not sure if there are any 120hz panels in your price range, but there will be some IPS panels that should be fine for most gaming.

If you're aiming for 120Hz monitor it's only for 3D purposes. (gaming, movies etc.)

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@kraken2109 said:

If you're aiming for 120Hz monitor it's only for 3D purposes. (gaming, movies etc.)

No.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@kraken2109 said:

No it isn't, it's so that you can enjoy a monitor that will display over 60fps for smoother gameplay and less input lag.

Splatted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Splatted

Thanks for all the replies. The HP screen doesn't seem to be available in the uk so I've gone for the ASUS. I'll let you know what I think when I get it. :)

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

@Splatted: Yeah, I had just noticed that you were in the UK. Sorry about that =P But, I'm sure that you'll love the Asus. People seem to love their monitors...

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Dell s2340 :) good for picture quality, thin bezel, 178 degree viewing angle. Either that or get yourself a 120hz for speed, useful for fps.