This topic is locked from further discussion.

Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Terami
Member since 2004 • 3992 Posts

This is just something I wished to share with those of interest in Oblivion and or the mods of Oblivion. 

As much as I liked the default Oblivion, I can't say I liked it any where near what I do now... Now that I've modded the hell out of it.  I find it truly amazing that just a few mods, can make a great game even greater then I ever imagined.

The testing and researching of these mods can be quite a pain in the arse, really.  But finally, I've found a perfect, complimenting assortment of mods that really change the whole Oblivion experience.  The only mods I didn't bother with, were the mods that had to do with graphics(mostly).  I'm running the game on an average system, so I was a little bit fearful to start improving on some settings... Seeing as how they are running just fine, the way they are.

There are a ton of mods for Oblivion(and I've tried a lot of them!) but obviously there are just too many to ever get around to them all, so... Here's my magic combo...

KT custom race fix, Ren's beauty pack, Eshme's body and clothes, Valeria (companion ring version), Third person cross hair(small), Ethereal horses and lastly... OOO 1.3.

I do have some others that are compatible but I didn't want to go over kill as OOO adds a lot already.  For me, this combo is a  nice variety and adds what was missing from Oblivion... For me.  I am considering using the BT mod as my last mod, however. 

Below, in my sig, is my character for this current combo, for those that might wonder what Ren's beauty pack and Eshme's mods do...

So... What works for you?  What mods really make Oblivion what it wasn't for you?

nukethegnomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 nukethegnomes
Member since 2006 • 1096 Posts
Oblivion's modding community restored my faith in the essential decency of humanity. =P

Heres my mod list
Graphic mods: Beefy vid card needed! (I highly recomend all of these if your system is powerful enough)
Unique landscapes (all 8 of them)
Natural environments (only vegetation, combined with UL mods makes for one hell of a beautiful game)
Qarl's texture pack (extremely high res textures much better than vanilla)
Parallaxed qarl (adds 3d effect to castles houses etc)
Reduced qarl's texture pack (combined with regular Qarl TP cause I only have 256 vid card memory)
Eshme's female bodies (I love her bodies)
Improved facial textures
Ren's beauty pack (finally its possible to make attractive girsl)

Gameplay mods:
OOO 1.3 or Francescos with MMM (depends on wheather i want a hardcore rpg or arcade)
No Psychic Guards
wz_inventory (grid style diablo type inventory)
darkui
3rd person camera (wtf was bethsoft thinking?)
Crowded Roads Revamped and 10travellors (adds more life)
Persuasion overhaul
Stealth overhaul
Mighty magic (sometimes)
key chain mod
NPC's alive

Probably another 10+ that I've forgot.

nukethegnomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nukethegnomes
Oh yeah I also have a 7800 gtx 256 for those wondering about graphics mods, I highly recommend btw cant stress it enough the game seriously looks 2x better!
Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Terami

I use an ATI X1600Pro 512MB card.  For the most part, this card really takes most of the stress on my system... Which is a P4 2GHz with 1280 Ram.

How good is the Third person camera mod?  The camera was one reason why I used the cross hairs mod and it helps a lot.

The no psychic guards sounds awesome...

KorJax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KorJax
Member since 2004 • 2564 Posts
The TPC mod makes it so the camera doenst "slide" around in third person. Its a must have for those who use third person view alot. I highly suggest BTmod, makes the invintory a godsend. Or you could try wz_Invintory, it makes the inventory more like Morrowinds, and it is highly custmizable as well. There is also a mod I belive called Wiseman's Reduced Textures... makes it so the game runs better on the video card without looking too bad at all. There is a better one out there though that makes the medium/low settings look closer to high with very good performance, but i cant remeber the name. Shorter grass and Low Poly grass is a must have, increases tons of performance without mkaing grass look bad. No Psycick Guards are also a must have, makes it so guards will not just randomly run up to you in the middle of nowhere for a crime. Martigen's Monster Mod is one of the best out there, adds tons of creatures, compatable with OOO, and best of all, it makes it so some creatures will be more agressive twords each other than you. Not to mention undead have a chance of regenerating in dungions, each creature+race is a different size, and has different stats depending on thier sizes, ect. Run the "LowSpawns" add-on for the mod (its included in the download) if you get bad performance on the mod or just dont like having to fight an army of Imp's of various sizes and classes every 50 feet :) There are tons more that are just great... go to http://planetelderscrolls.com and http://www.tessource.net , they have mods orginized in catergories and have TONS of them (atelast over 1000)!
DefaultGen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 DefaultGen
Member since 2004 • 21841 Posts
I only play Random Oblivion cause i'm cool like that.
Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts
The majority of my Oblivion mods are graphical. I use Qarl's texture pack (I have a 512mb videocard), Natural Environments, Better Water, Lower Polygon Grass (I like to play on maximum detail, and that foliage just kills my performance), and a bunch others which I cannot list right now... as I RMA'd my graphics card and am waiting for the replacement to come.
Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Terami

The TPC mod makes it so the camera doenst "slide" around in third person. Its a must have for those who use third person view alot. I highly suggest BTmod, makes the invintory a godsend. Or you could try wz_Invintory, it makes the inventory more like Morrowinds, and it is highly custmizable as well. There is also a mod I belive called Wiseman's Reduced Textures... makes it so the game runs better on the video card without looking too bad at all. There is a better one out there though that makes the medium/low settings look closer to high with very good performance, but i cant remeber the name. Shorter grass and Low Poly grass is a must have, increases tons of performance without mkaing grass look bad. No Psycick Guards are also a must have, makes it so guards will not just randomly run up to you in the middle of nowhere for a crime. Martigen's Monster Mod is one of the best out there, adds tons of creatures, compatable with OOO, and best of all, it makes it so some creatures will be more agressive twords each other than you. Not to mention undead have a chance of regenerating in dungions, each creature+race is a different size, and has different stats depending on thier sizes, ect. Run the "LowSpawns" add-on for the mod (its included in the download) if you get bad performance on the mod or just dont like having to fight an army of Imp's of various sizes and classes every 50 feet :) There are tons more that are just great... go to http://planetelderscrolls.com and http://www.tessource.net , they have mods orginized in catergories and have TONS of them (atelast over 1000)!KorJax

Well, I tried out the 3rd person camera today and I have to agree, it does make things much nicer.  And I like playing in 3rd person, so this just made my Oblivion experience that much better, especially with the 3rd person cross hairs.

I'm definitely going to try out the BT mod but I'm unsure of the MMM mod's compatibility with OOO.  I was just looking at the features for MMM and it seems there may be some conflicts with OOO's features. (I'm gonna dig deeper on that one)  But the idea of taking on a lot more mobs at once and more of a variety sounds great.

I'm definitely looking into Wiseman's but I would love to know what the other better mod was!  Also, going to download the no psychic guards and low poly grass!  Thanks for the tips guys.

Avatar image for Belzebu_Emperor
Belzebu_Emperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Belzebu_Emperor
Member since 2005 • 75 Posts
Hi,i was wondering if you can help me here, i have an amd 3.5+,1gigram, and a nvidia 7300 gs 256mb but it seems it use 256mb more, because when i read the properties says 512mb,weird? dont know..help.
Well the things is that i play Oblivion with some high-mid settings and even with that it runs a little slow, there are some parts where it runs smootly like on the dungeons,etc...but when im out there..and look to the sky runs smooth but when i look to the ground and walk runs slow.. not to slow but you could see the change.... And yes i have all the latest drivers installed,the first oblivion patch,etc. just wondering if i change my settings to some mid-settings? Do you think i can use those mods on my system?

2 more things, sometimes the game just minimize..alone, im scared here..:| dont know if theres a problem with my keyboard,or is a game bug, and not! i dont press the windows button! ha!
The other thing im wondering if theres some online mode on Oblivion pc? or the xbox360 version only have that? dont know anything about d 360 version,sorry.

Thanks,..

A.C
Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Terami

First off, the 360 version has no online mode and niether does the PC... But I did hear of a mod enabling co-op play for PC Oblivion...

Secondly, all I can say right now is try some of the mods these guys have suggested above.  Or you can try turning down some settings like shadows.  Shadows, grass, resolution and texture size play large rolls in performance.

Swaye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Swaye
Member since 2006 • 58 Posts
What are the differences between OOO's and Francesco's? and does MMM do?
Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Terami
Ok, I tried Mr. Wiseman's texture reducer and low poly grass...  The grass mod is awesome.  As for Mr. Wiseman's mod, I'm not sure I installed it right.  It doesn't seem to be doing anything. *sighs*
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#14 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Some of the mods are really wonky (and Gamespot seems to have incomplete versions of others, like BTMod - they don't actually have the main mod, only the addon). I can't get the LOD mod to work, since the mountains around Bruma are as hideously low-res as ever, full view distance or not. Either the instructions are wrong or I'm missing the actual mod file.

I tried the low-poly grass mod today too, and it's great. The game runs a lot smoother outside now, without the grass looking any worse.

Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Terami

It was kind of funny... I was by Eshme's Boutique(another mod), when I booted up for the first time with the grass mod.  I could sware that there was no difference, it actually appeared to be more grass - LOL - but then I noticed when I traveled to other places, the grass was smaller and loaded in nicely.

Yeah, I don't think this Wiseman's mod is working at all.  I have the BT mod but this one stumps me.  It tells you where to copy and paste the files but the destination it gives, just doesn't exist!!!  Oh well.

nukethegnomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nukethegnomes
For those who can't get their mod's working!
The most important tool of all its not a mod really but "oblivion mod manager" this tool makes it so that replaced textures and meshes etc get automatically updated (archive invalidation) this is essential for using texture replacers LODs etc. Its really simple to use so highly recommended!

Also Tessource.net and planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com have the most mods, tessource.net is the largest database but sometimes the server is weird
nukethegnomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nukethegnomes

It was kind of funny... I was by Eshme's Boutique(another mod), when I booted up for the first time with the grass mod. I could sware that there was no difference, it actually appeared to be more grass - LOL - but then I noticed when I traveled to other places, the grass was smaller and loaded in nicely.

Yeah, I don't think this Wiseman's mod is working at all. I have the BT mod but this one stumps me. It tells you where to copy and paste the files but the destination it gives, just doesn't exist!!! Oh well.

Terami

If the mod has the "Data" directory then just put the 'Data' dir in your oblivion folder (c:program filesoblivion i think this is the default directory) It will give you a message like "... overwrite files" which is normal. If still doesnt work go ahead and send me a PM and I'll help you out.

Theres also the chance that this texture pack is actually currently working but only increasing FPS by a small amount, I'm not sure but I think its a retexture for 128mb graphics cards (i think this is the case but I could be wrong) I think this might just help stuttering by keeping the total video memory used to under 128 mb to reduce stuttering when you turn around etc so it might not be very noticeable to your FPS.

nukethegnomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nukethegnomes

I use an ATI X1600Pro 512MB card. For the most part, this card really takes most of the stress on my system... Which is a P4 2GHz with 1280 Ram.

How good is the Third person camera mod? The camera was one reason why I used the cross hairs mod and it helps a lot.

Terami

I just noticed this above post, it seems that your processor is bottlenecking your graphics card, I would recommend low poly grass mod (i think low poly looks better than vanilla) it really adds some FPS, also polygone overhaul mod.

Also if you know anything about overclocking even if you don't its not too hard to learn I would see if you can't up your mhz.

Also heres another important tweak that will greatly increase FPS and reduce stuttering as your computer loads from harddrive to ram.
#1 go to windows explorer
#2 right click your hard drive, then click properties
#3 then on the bottom it says "allow indexing etc" uncheck this

Theres also a really nice tweak guide at http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html for additional tweaks

Also this is my favorite tweak, though it might not work with ATI cards im not sure im running NVidia, but somewhere in your driver software look for some setting called "Max frames to render ahead" I had to use Cool bits register tweak to allow me to f with these options, but I think ATI probably has a counterpart :- Anyways if you find this setting turn MAx frames to render ahead to 0. On my NVidia brand card the default is 3. This will really help with the mouse lag problem. It makes 25 fps seem like 35. Really smooth's out the gameplay on low fps.  (you might lose a couple fps for example i went from 29 to 28 but it feels like im running much faster) 11/10 it will be worth it to go through all the trouble  trust me. Also http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html has an ATI section which probably goes into detail with above tweak

Have fun!
Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Terami
[QUOTE="Terami"]

I use an ATI X1600Pro 512MB card. For the most part, this card really takes most of the stress on my system... Which is a P4 2GHz with 1280 Ram.

How good is the Third person camera mod? The camera was one reason why I used the cross hairs mod and it helps a lot.

nukethegnomes

I just noticed this above post, it seems that your processor is bottlenecking your graphics card, I would recommend low poly grass mod (i think low poly looks better than vanilla) it really adds some FPS, also polygone overhaul mod.

Also if you know anything about overclocking even if you don't its not too hard to learn I would see if you can't up your mhz.

Also heres another important tweak that will greatly increase FPS and reduce stuttering as your computer loads from harddrive to ram.

Theres also a really nice tweak guide at http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html for additional tweaks

Also this is my favorite tweak, though it might not work with ATI cards im not sure im running NVidia, but somewhere in your driver software look for some setting called "Max frames to render ahead" I had to use Cool bits register tweak to allow me to f with these options, but I think ATI probably has a counterpart :- Anyways if you find this setting turn MAx frames to render ahead to 0. On my NVidia brand card the default is 3. This will really help with the mouse lag problem. It makes 25 fps seem like 35. Really smooth's out the gameplay on low fps.  (you might lose a couple fps for example i went from 29 to 28 but it feels like im running much faster) 11/10 it will be worth it to go through all the trouble  trust me. Also http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html has an ATI section which probably goes into detail with above tweak

Have fun!

Yeah, I am running the low poly grass mod... I like it a lot.  It really helped a lot.

Thank you for the tips, I'll look into them.  I will say this though... I know my P4 is pretty much my biggest road block but this PC suprisingly runs Oblivion really well.  I just recently tried it with FRAPS and got decent results. 

I play most games in 1280x1024 but with Oblivion, I lowered it to1024x768 to bump the performance up a little.  I also dropped my shaddows to 25% but left everything else 75% to 100% with large textures.  I also haven't decided between HDR or bloom lighting as of yet... I'm still trying them out.  I also play with no AA on as I feel it makes the game look blurry and I don't like it.  Most other games I use it though, it's kind of weird lol.

Anyway, using FRAPS, I managed 15 to 20 fps with those settings in 1280x1024 and I average 20 to 25 in 1024x768.  I really can't see much of a difference in graphics between those two resolutions, oddly.  So, having said that, I think it's doing pretty darn good.  A few extra tweaks here and there may even help it more. 

Thanks again.

Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Terami
[QUOTE="Terami"]

nukethegnomes

Have fun!

Yeah, I am running the low poly grass mod... I like it a lot.  It really helped a lot.

Thank you for the tips, I'll look into them.  I will say this though... I know my P4 is pretty much my biggest road block but this PC suprisingly runs Oblivion really well.  I just recently tried it with FRAPS and got decent results. 

I play most games in 1280x1024 but with Oblivion, I lowered it to1024x768 to bump the performance up a little.  I also dropped my shaddows to 25% but left everything else 75% to 100% with large textures.  I also haven't decided between HDR or bloom lighting as of yet... I'm still trying them out.  I also play with no AA on as I feel it makes the game look blurry and I don't like it.  Most other games I use it though, it's kind of weird lol.

Anyway, using FRAPS, I managed 15 to 20 fps with those settings in 1280x1024 and I average 20 to 25 in 1024x768.  I really can't see much of a difference in graphics between those two resolutions, oddly.  So, having said that, I think it's doing pretty darn good.  A few extra tweaks here and there may even help it more. 

Thanks again.

Scotti912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Scotti912
Member since 2004 • 69 Posts
I use short grass. it looks better than low polly grass and also impoves you FPS. though you could combine them and improve FPS even more.

heres a link

http://tessource.net/files/file.php?id=2069
Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Terami
[QUOTE="Terami"]

nukethegnomes

Have fun!

I shut off the indexing and found better performance all across the board... Very nice.  Thanks!

As for the ATI options, I wasn't able to find anything like that, unfortunately.

Bennycal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bennycal
Member since 2005 • 48 Posts

Hi all,

I want to install the following mods on oblivion,

BT Mod
Well Used Map
LOD Replacement
Natural Environments
Grass Without Tiling
ATI Chuck Patch

Ive read the Oblivion Make It Pretty Feature here on GS, but I dont understand it, so could someone please show me where to get those mods and how to install them when I have donwloaded them?

All replies would be really be appreciated,
Thanks.
Bennycal.

Bennycal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bennycal
Member since 2005 • 48 Posts

Oh and btw could someone please tell me where to get the No Pyscic Guards mod and how to install it?

Thanks.

Agent_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Agent_13
Member since 2007 • 571 Posts
Oblivion without mods is boring, a decent leveling system mod is essential, some new weather effects, living econmy model and a host of other tweaks make oblivion come alive.