Mod advice for a fun Skyrim playthrough?

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts

Hey so I'm looking to do a new playthrough of Skyrim, hopefully with some very fun, over the top mods, anyone have some advice? The kind of mods I'm looking at so far are the Monster Mod, and maybe Deadly Mutilation if I can get it to work. I'm especially looking for mods that add combat encounters or really anything to liven up the experience and give me stuff to do outside of questing.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

AMP UP GRAPHICSSSZZZ!!!!!

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127491 Posts

nexusmods... Go there.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I have 94 mods on steam workshop, it's so easy. Just sort by most popular and have a look.

Sparky04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sparky04
Member since 2006 • 3390 Posts

I really like Places of Skyrim, Sounds of Skyrim, and the Improved Interface Mod. Also look up Frost Fall, it adds survival elements like hypothermia, camp building, and I think hunger. Midas Magic adds a lot of super fun spells. Honestly I would recommend not using any graphics mods, in my experience the improvements in fidelity are not worth the tradeoff in performance.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Ya nexusmods. I currently have 156 running. It actually contains more mods then steam workshop.

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts

Uh yeah I've spent plenty o time on the Nexus forums. I just finished a playthrough using the Requiem overhaul as well as a number of smaller mods and graphics mods/enb. I was just wondering if anyone had advice for an over the top mod setup, stuff that would go well with Monster Mod or Deadly Mutilation. I hadn't heard of Places of Skyrim though, I'll check that out.

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts

198 running here, but steer clear of the Nexus Mod Manager AND the Workshop. If you're only running a few, those should be fine, but with 25+ you'll need Mod Organizer. It allows multiple profiles so you can switch back and forth at will, and the best feature is that it doesn't overwrite or copy any files into the Skyrim directory. All of it is external so no matter how badly you mess up, you'll be fine.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1334/?

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer

As for mods, these are my must-use no matter how I'm playing:

• Unofficial patch series
  • Apachii Hair
  • Climates of Tamriel
  • Dynamic Loot
  • SkyUI
  • The Dance of Death
  • Enhanced Blood
  • Heartbreaker
  • Non Essential Children (love killing those annoying bastards)
  • BLEED - A Blood Overhaul
  • Better Decapitation Gore Texture
  • Deadly Mutilation
  • More [insert pretty much everything here]
  • Sexy [hold/village name here]
  • Dance of Death
Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@darkmoney52 said:

Hey so I'm looking to do a new playthrough of Skyrim, hopefully with some very fun, over the top mods, anyone have some advice? The kind of mods I'm looking at so far are the Monster Mod, and maybe Deadly Mutilation if I can get it to work. I'm especially looking for mods that add combat encounters or really anything to liven up the experience and give me stuff to do outside of questing.

Well, GameSpot does have a show dedicated to their favorite mods in Skyrim. So give it a look, they have a lot of episodes.

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/top-5-skyrim-mods/

Hope you find what your looking for!

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#10 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

Refrain from fast travelling a lot. That with the camping mod will give you an immersive adventure travelling around Skyrim.

Khaz_Modan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Khaz_Modan
Member since 2003 • 177 Posts

If you enjoy Vampire I'd recommend "Better Vampire". It allows you to customize your character and how you play your vampire like how often do you have to feed, whether you take sunlight damage, how powerful you are, what your weaknesses are, etc.

I'd also recommend "Bat Travel". It allows you to turn into a cloud of bats, fly at will and instantly teleport across the map.

BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts

Install Morrowind.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

@BounceDK said:

Install Morrowind.

Hahaha not a bad suggestion. :P

Avatar image for wg_mcfartypants
WG_McFartypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WG_McFartypants
Member since 2013 • 233 Posts

Spent about a month messing with mods recently. Finally jumped through the hoops of the Skyrim Beautification Project (slightly tweaked, I don't like their suggested body type). It's sounds like it's just graphics enhancements but they pack quite a few location, npc, and gameplay improving mods into the options on that one.

My one suggestion (learned the hard way) is if you mess with ENB's at all make sure you play the game in full screen mode (not windowed, not modded windowed that looks like full screen, etc.) For some reason I've never been able to get answered windowed mode guts performance in weird ways (it'll start running fine and bog down quickly). I went through five or six ENBs thinking it was the ENB causing the issue when it was actually switching over to windowed mode so I could jump between apps. Your mileage may vary (this was on single and SLI 780 ti's).

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17775 Posts

if you havent used frostfall yet then you actually havent played skyrim :P.

seriosuly though i have forgotten what vanilla skyrim is like now. frostfall and travel everywhere by foot/horse or use a cart. no fast travel. skyrim itself becomes your enemy....tis awesome. not overly intrusive and hardcore though unless you want it to be (i dont do the whole need to eat/sleep thing).

SKY UI is also a must.

the unofficial patches are also a very good idea especially before starting a new game.

i am looking into a mod for rebuilding helgen. looks very cool. read the instructions though (e.g. dont have it running when starting a new game).

capes of skyrim is also a good idea with frostfall (though i think frostfall now comes with some of its own capes as well).

i havent done much in the way of content mods yet..just graphics mods.

im currently trying to sort out an ENB issue where sometimes everything is just too bright (especially in snowy areas...though whiterun can also become blindingly bright). when it all comes together though the game looks glorious. was walking to falkreath when the sun broke out and everything lit up very nicely. it was a pleasure to just look around for a bit.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#16 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

If I were to pick 5 that I cant live without:

1. SkyUI

2. Skyre

3. Interesting NPCs

4. Frostfall

5. Convenient Horses

In terms of enjoyment, My personal favourites are: MODS THAT ADD SPELLS, SPELLS EVERYWHERE. Since the physics system was silly enough for modders to create some pretty neat spell mods.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

Essential Texture / Mesh mods (The "texture pack combiner" lists about 50 or so additional texture mods that should be installed):