Mobile Processor Upgrade?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PiousHeresy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 PiousHeresy
Member since 2007 • 26 Posts

Does anyone know where I could find a good tutorial on changing my mobile processor?

I'm ordering a Gateway P-6831FX which comes with a T5450, and I was thinking of upgrading to maybe a T7250 (Newegg). Normally I would just buy a newer model from gateway with a better cpu, but this way i would be saving several hundred dollars.

Please help me on this!!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8651167&productCategoryId=abcat0502003&type=product&tab=1&id=1195599780039#productdetail

yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts
cant upgrade laptop cpus as they are soldered onto the motherboard and the whole cooling system which is apart of the laptop itself would need to be changed too inorder for a new cpu to work.
PiousHeresy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PiousHeresy
Maybe in some brands/models, but it is possible, as I know someone who has done it (unfortunatly he's in Iraq right now so no help there =/). As long as the processors fit into the same socket I believe its possible. I'm pretty sure the P-6831FX is upgradable, I just don't know exactly how to do it and I'm not trying it until I know for sure what I'm doing =P
Kiwi_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Kiwi_1
Member since 2003 • 2963 Posts

Upgrades to laptops are very limited. Mostly, it's the assembly/ manufacturing process. In order to hold the costs down, it's mostly a "unibody" chassis and circuitry, all permanently attached together. You can swap drives, and you can usually access the SODIMMs (RAM) to swap them for larger capacities. At least 90 %, possibly even 95 %, of laptops come with only a video chip, and no way to change that in favor of a real video card, so that large majority simply cannot perform well enough to play games.

At the very top tier, a few laptops are available with factory-accessible video cards and in some cases, socketed CPUs that can be swapped. These are generally far more expensive than most people are willing to pay.

PiousHeresy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PiousHeresy
*sigh* well thanks anyway
ascalonroti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 ascalonroti
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Hey dude, i hope you have a chance to see this web page!

It explains you how to disarm the P6831 (i have one myself an im planning on doing it) and install a new processor.

The link is:

http://www.notebookforums.com/thread212385.html

and to see how to apply thermal paste check this out:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

Good luck modding your lappie!