MMO PC Gaming Build.

#1 Posted by FrostPirate (25 posts) -

Well first off new to the forum *waves*

Anyway I'am gonna be making a new PC for gaming and I mostly play MMO's (WoW,Wildstar,LoL) and the odd shooter.

But my question is this should I spend more on the CPU or GPU or try and equal it out, which is gonna be worked more for my usage style?

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (32025 posts) -

MMOs aren't usually quite demanding but these days,the limiting factor in most games are GPU bound. Anything over a quad core will do about the same job, so I'd spend a bit more on the GPU. But it all depends on your budget

#3 Posted by FrostPirate (25 posts) -

GPU I was thinking somewhere in the EVGA GeForce GTX 650 range.

#4 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (4155 posts) -

Its hard to say some MMO's are CPU heavy and some aren't... There are a bunch of people say that Wildstar runs poor on anything slower than a FX 8 or i5 no matter what GPU you have.

Like gaming in general the only solution is more power from both CPU and GPU. They are both equally important.

Something like a i5 4670K and a R9 280X would give you superb gaming experience and something like a FX 6300 and a GTX 750 Ti would give you a good gaming experience.

There's no easy answer especially when you consider optimisation and driver support. Performance isn't universal.

#5 Edited by FrostPirate (25 posts) -

Ya Im currently playing Wildstar and with every hotfix my FPS Yo-Yos. One patch im great and the next I wanna throw somehing.

And yes i'd get a higher end GPU if my budget allowed.

Opinions on the AMD A10 5800K?

#6 Posted by MonsieurX (32025 posts) -

@frostpirate said:

Ya Im currently playing Wildstar and with every hotfix my FPS Yo-Yos. One patch im great and the next I wanna throw somehing.

And yes i'd get a higher end GPU if my budget allowed.

Opinions on the AMD A10 5800K?

Great APU,pointless if you're getting a dedicated gpu

#7 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23936 posts) -

You want the fastest cpu you can get for a mmo.

#8 Edited by FrostPirate (25 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@frostpirate said:

Ya Im currently playing Wildstar and with every hotfix my FPS Yo-Yos. One patch im great and the next I wanna throw somehing.

And yes i'd get a higher end GPU if my budget allowed.

Opinions on the AMD A10 5800K?

Great APU,pointless if you're getting a dedicated gpu

See thats the kinda stuff I need to know :P Also are all AMDs APU???

#9 Posted by Arthas045 (5575 posts) -

No look towards the FX series is you want AMD.

#10 Posted by FrostPirate (25 posts) -

I have a case, power supply and other stuff needed, these are the major things I need. Thoughts solicited please.

CPU- AMD Athlon X4 740 3.2GHz

Motherboard- MSI A88XM-E45

RAM- Kingston HyperX 8GB

GPU- PowerColor Radeon R7 260X 1GB

#11 Edited by vfibsux (4393 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Its hard to say some MMO's are CPU heavy and some aren't... There are a bunch of people say that Wildstar runs poor on anything slower than a FX 8 or i5 no matter what GPU you have.

Like gaming in general the only solution is more power from both CPU and GPU. They are both equally important.

Something like a i5 4670K and a R9 280X would give you superb gaming experience and something like a FX 6300 and a GTX 750 Ti would give you a good gaming experience.

There's no easy answer especially when you consider optimisation and driver support. Performance isn't universal.

I'm running Wildstar @1080 max settings with my Phenom X4 965 and a 770 with zero issues, just like every other game I play. Anything with Wildstar at this point can be blamed on server issues I am sure, because they are having a shit ton of them.