This topic is locked from further discussion.

hkhatir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hkhatir
Member since 2009 • 590 Posts

I'm seriously debating whether to get the game.

The price is not really a factor but since the game is still in Beta is it worth it just to wait for the fully finshed game.

Did any of you guys buy it and regret it because of glitches, gameplay, difficulty, boredom???

gandaf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 gandaf007
Member since 2009 • 892 Posts

Get it now, especially considering it's 50% off during beta.

hkhatir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hkhatir

gandaf007

Are you enjoying the game?

Mainly interested in Survival Mode.

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

gandaf007

25%. Still, it is worth getting now.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

[QUOTE="gandaf007"]

hkhatir

Tbh its more fun to play with your friends. But sure it do work quiet good on single player. Aslong as you decide on a goal and what you want to do. Then you will have fun.
hkhatir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hkhatir

[QUOTE="hkhatir"]

[QUOTE="gandaf007"]

KalDurenik

Tbh its more fun to play with your friends. But sure it do work quiet good on single player. Aslong as you decide on a goal and what you want to do. Then you will have fun.

I would love to play MP but all of my friends play consoles, and the 1 that plays PC is strictly WOW.

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

I play it solo most of the time and have a blast. So long as you can set goals for yourself and come up with new ideas then the game is pretty much never ending.

gandaf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gandaf007
Member since 2009 • 892 Posts

Ah my bad about the 50%.

But either way, this game is oodles of fun and one of my favorites of all time. You should totally go for it.

hkhatir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hkhatir

I play it solo most of the time and have a blast. So long as you can set goals for yourself and come up with new ideas then the game is pretty much never ending.

Tezcatlipoca666

What goals do you set for yourself?

Just curious. I dont know a ton about the game just what ive seen in youtube videos

Drazule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Drazule
Member since 2007 • 8693 Posts

Constructing the most elaborate buildings you can think of.

hkhatir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hkhatir

Constructing the most elaborate buildings you can think of.

Drazule

Ok. For the price evn if I only get a couple months out of it it will be good.

Thanks

JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts

Good choice. Minecraft is a ton of fun, and, as others have said, especially so if you play with friends.

It's also a great game to just leave open on a secondary monitor if you happen to have one. :)

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Buy it now, thank us later.

It's already plenty playable, some bugs, but not really any game-ending ones and it's constantly getting better. Plus it's cheaper, and you'll get everything up until and including the final release for free.

madg23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 madg23
Member since 2009 • 435 Posts
yes get it because my brother told me about how addicting and fun it was so i got it and we played Lan for about 5 hours straight untill about 3 am. woulda been longer but i had to wake up 4 hours later to go to school and do an exam
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

The price is not really a factor but since the game is still in Beta is it worth it just to wait for the fully finshed game.

Did any of you guys buy it and regret it because of glitches, gameplay, difficulty, boredom???

hkhatir
Can't see why anyone would like to play this game with that kind of graphic in the era; I'd be better playing Diablo 2 or Red Alert 2 again
Ikavnieks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Ikavnieks
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts
[QUOTE="hkhatir"]

PredatorRules
Can't see why anyone would like to play this game with that kind of graphic in the era; I'd be better playing Diablo 2 or Red Alert 2 again

:l I might be misunderstanding what you're saying, but if I read correctly, then what you just said is stupid.
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GeryGo  Moderator
[QUOTE="PredatorRules"][QUOTE="hkhatir"]

Ikavnieks

:l I might be misunderstanding what you're saying, but if I read correctly, then what you just said is stupid.

Don't get me wrong I love the whole idea, if only it had some decent graphics to the era that we live and with a storyline and some quests/missions it could be an awesome game, just like Oblivion
Ikavnieks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Ikavnieks
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts
[QUOTE="PredatorRules"][QUOTE="Ikavnieks"][QUOTE="PredatorRules"] Can't see why anyone would like to play this game with that kind of graphic in the era; I'd be better playing Diablo 2 or Red Alert 2 again

Don't get me wrong I love the whole idea, if only it had some decent graphics to the era that we live and with a storyline and some quests/missions it could be an awesome game, just like Oblivion

The graphics are perfect the way they are, they're retro but the 3D gives it a modern feel, this game is nothing like Oblivion, nor does it try to be, nor should it be. Some quests/ missions wouldn't hurt I agree, but to stay away from this game due to its graphics is just being shallow.
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GeryGo  Moderator
[QUOTE="Ikavnieks"][QUOTE="PredatorRules"][QUOTE="Ikavnieks"] :l I might be misunderstanding what you're saying, but if I read correctly, then what you just said is stupid.

The graphics are perfect the way they are, they're retro but the 3D gives it a modern feel, this game is nothing like Oblivion, nor does it try to be, nor should it be. Some quests/ missions wouldn't hurt I agree, but to stay away from this game due to its graphics is just being shallow.

Well graphics didn't attract me to play Garry's Mod, hmm maybe when the game will be done - achievements if not quests? Online/co-op/lan play? dunno I feel there's a huge potential in this game that is not fully used
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="hkhatir"]

PredatorRules

Firstly, graphics schmaphics. People who play Minecraft do so because the game is fun, not because of the jawdropping visuals.

Secondly, the graphics actually are a huge part of Minecraft's charm. Making it look like Crysis or Metro 2033 would single handedly ruin the game.

firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

[QUOTE="Ikavnieks"][QUOTE="PredatorRules"] Can't see why anyone would like to play this game with that kind of graphic in the era; I'd be better playing Diablo 2 or Red Alert 2 againPredatorRules

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewforum.php?f=1021

Heres a pretty cool example, its not the best but i cant be bothered to find the one with the better lighting mod and lots of other graphics enhancements:http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1021&t=90533

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#22 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

If in doubt about graphics, this is what you get if you combine a few mods together :

(Mods used : John Smith's Texture Pack[32x32], MrMods BetterLight)

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Well graphics didn't attract me to play Garry's Mod, hmm maybe when the game will be done - achievements if not quests? Online/co-op/lan play? dunno I feel there's a huge potential in this game that is not fully usedPredatorRules

Any more visual upgrades, and Minecraft wouldn't be playable even on the highest of PCs. You're forgeting that it requires quite powerful PC to actually run the game as it is. It eats RAM with the bucket. 2GB of RAM would be needed to keep a steady frame rate after a couple of hours. I've seen people that stutter even on 4GB. That's because as you play, it continues to generate random islands/caverns/continents/incredibly diverse landscapes/etc., until potentionally making the world a maximum of 8 times the size of the planet itself.

And the game looks good to me. It's art type is the only thing that make's it look 'bad', and it quicky becomes irrelevant after you play it. Because it's beautiful landscapes makes up for it.

And there are HD textures mods to make it look better, though your PC would probably become a slideshow with them.

Here's the mods themself to make Minecraft look fantastic, but if you don't have a Hellish PC, your framerate won't be nice.

Original HD Texture Pack (put this in your texture pack folder, without extracting it)
GSL Shader Mod
MrMMods (check better grass and better light)
HD Texture Fix

ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts

Don't get it, the game had great potential but the creator is a scam artist who abandoned the game. For example a post in his site explained that alpha buyers were entitled to all updates until the final version and further for free. Then after he made enough money, one day he decided to change it to "updates are just added bonuses". The game is poorly coded and has bad performance, no efforts are made to fix it since the guy barely even works in the game anymore, taking 2-3 weeks "breaks".

Refer to this thread for further information:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=155824

A quote from the previous site to give you a general idea:

"You know what I would do with millions dollars, a half-finished game, and a million players having bought my game with potentially millions more waiting for the finished product?

I would stop working on my other 'project'.
I would get to work on the game that made me a millionaire in the first place, giving everyone a decent weekly update every Friday with more blocks, more depth, more bug fixes. I would open a poll the day before the weekly update asking what YOU guys would want, bringing more traffic to my blog which is currently about me playing Civ V and what I got for Christmas. I would stop posting on my blog about the other space game I'm making which people currently don't give a flying pig about and give people more information on the game they paid for."

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 metroidfood

Don't get it, the game had great potential but the creator is a scam artist who abandoned the game. For example a post in his site explained that alpha buyers were entitled to all updates until the final version and further for free. Then after he made enough money, one day he decided to change it to "updates are just added bonuses". The game is poorly coded and has bad performance, no efforts are made to fix it since the guy barely even works in the game anymore, taking 2-3 weeks "breaks".

ampiva

He hasn't abandoned the game at all, alpha buyers still get everything for free, and beta buyers get everything up to and including the release for free. Considering the creator hired a brand new team of website technicians, artists, and coders and still works full time on the game despite the fact that he could have abandoned it at any time and retired a millionaire would indicate that he is pretty dedicated to finishing this game.

But apparently setting up a company, migrating a server that over a million people use, creating an entirely new save file type and game launcher, still adding content and fixing bugs is "abandoning the game" because he takes a vacation for his mother's birthday. Even if he had halted development, the game is currently still worth the price and it's hardly scamming someone to give them a game with infinite possibilities in return for the price of dinner at a cheap restaurant.

Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 Chiddaling
Member since 2008 • 9106 Posts

[QUOTE="ampiva"]

metroidfood

He hasn't abandoned the game at all, alpha buyers still get everything for free, and beta buyers get everything up to and including the release for free. Considering the creator hired a brand new team of website technicians, artists, and coders and still works full time on the game despite the fact that he could have abandoned it at any time and retired a millionaire would indicate that he is pretty dedicated to finishing this game.

But apparently setting up a company, migrating a server that over a million people use, creating an entirely new save file type and game launcher, still adding content and fixing bugs is "abandoning the game" because he takes a vacation for his mother's birthday. Even if he had halted development, the game is currently still worth the price and it's hardly scamming someone to give them a game with infinite possibilities in return for the price of dinner at a cheap restaurant.

Am I still getting the same advantages if I buy Beta? I know Alpha was cheaper but I'm hoping that is the only disadvantage.
dsownge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dsownge
Member since 2005 • 2393 Posts

This game costs too much for little available content, even if i will be able to get the full content in the future its just too expensive at its state right now.

Just wait for the full game in my opinion.

Avatar image for ChampionoChumps
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ChampionoChumps
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts
[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

[QUOTE="ampiva"]

Chiddaling

Am I still getting the same advantages if I buy Beta? I know Alpha was cheaper but I'm hoping that is the only disadvantage.

You don't get any of the "expansion packs" after the final release
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ChampionoChumps

[QUOTE="ampiva"]

metroidfood

The problem most people have with notch isn't that he's abandoned the game. It's that he seems like he never does anything. For instance in one week he fixes leaf decay. 1 week. You'd think for a game that uses java and has crap graphics that he would get more done in a week (not to mention he has a whole crew of 6 people to work on this game and his company AND that one modder pushes content out 100x faster than him). Since October the only things he has added is a squid, dyes, a dispenser block, and music blocks. It seems like he and his employees take a break every other week, are sick every other week, and they watch starcraft videos in the office. People are fed up with his work ethic, and I am too.
Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Chiddaling

[QUOTE="Chiddaling"][QUOTE="metroidfood"]

ChampionoChumps

You don't get any of the "expansion packs" after the final release

Damn, that's lame.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
You guys bought the game in beta/alpha - you knew what you were getting into. Games with millions of more players with a development team of 50+ people go weeks without fixing or doing anything worthwhile (from the consumer perspective). Notch didn't set any release date - he doesn't need to rush to finish the game by your guys' standards. He has no obligation or responsibility to work according to your time line.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 metroidfood

The problem most people have with notch isn't that he's abandoned the game. It's that he seems like he never does anything. For instance in one week he fixes leaf decay. 1 week. You'd think for a game that uses java and has crap graphics that he would get more done in a week (not to mention he has a whole crew of 6 people to work on this game and his company AND that one modder pushes content out 100x faster than him). Since October the only things he has added is a squid, dyes, a dispenser block, and music blocks. It seems like he and his employees take a break every other week, are sick every other week, and they watch starcraft videos in the office. People are fed up with his work ethic, and I am too.ChampionoChumps

Leaf decay (that didn't cripple performance) was a problem that took him several tries to correct. If it had been easy it would have been released earlier.

And since the Halloween Update (which added a lot of things) we've had:

Texture Pack Support

Working Multiplayer (including server side inventory)

Massive Website Overhauls

Misc stuff like Lapis Lazuli, Cake, new Trees, Sugar, Lakes, etc...

Not to mention an insane amount of bugfixes. Adding content is fine and dandy, but MC has shifted to the point where fixing bugs and making sure things work is taking more precedence over just adding chocolate to the game. Before Beta, Multiplayer was a buggy mess with no damage. It's now at the point where it's almost equivalent to single player and items actually work when they're added and not a month afterwards.

There's way more going on than people give him credit for. You're basically saying he's doing nothing while ignoring everything he has, including all the time and resource intensive projects. Unless you're looking over his timecard, stop b****ing about his work ethic.

ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ChampionoChumps

[QUOTE="ChampionoChumps"]The problem most people have with notch isn't that he's abandoned the game. It's that he seems like he never does anything. For instance in one week he fixes leaf decay. 1 week. You'd think for a game that uses java and has crap graphics that he would get more done in a week (not to mention he has a whole crew of 6 people to work on this game and his company AND that one modder pushes content out 100x faster than him). Since October the only things he has added is a squid, dyes, a dispenser block, and music blocks. It seems like he and his employees take a break every other week, are sick every other week, and they watch starcraft videos in the office. People are fed up with his work ethic, and I am too.metroidfood

Leaf decay (that didn't cripple performance) was a problem that took him several tries to correct. If it had been easy it would have been released earlier.

Texture Pack Support

Not to mention an insane amount of bugfixes. Adding content is fine and dandy, but MC has shifted to the point where fixing bugs and making sure things work is taking more precedence over just adding chocolate to the game. Before Beta, Multiplayer was a buggy mess with no damage. It's now at the point where it's almost equivalent to single player and items actually work when they're added and not a month afterwards.

There's way more going on than people give him credit for. You're basically saying he's doing nothing while ignoring everything he has, including all the time and resource intensive projects. Unless you're looking over his timecard, stop b****ing about his work ethic.

Everyone has the right to complain. Imo there hasn't been any worthwhile updates to this game besides the nether. I personally would like to see more random structures (like bigger dungeons, or random villages/castles with npcs in them). I've lost interest in this game, sorry that somehow offends you.
Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chiddaling
[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

[QUOTE="ChampionoChumps"]The problem most people have with notch isn't that he's abandoned the game. It's that he seems like he never does anything. For instance in one week he fixes leaf decay. 1 week. You'd think for a game that uses java and has crap graphics that he would get more done in a week (not to mention he has a whole crew of 6 people to work on this game and his company AND that one modder pushes content out 100x faster than him). Since October the only things he has added is a squid, dyes, a dispenser block, and music blocks. It seems like he and his employees take a break every other week, are sick every other week, and they watch starcraft videos in the office. People are fed up with his work ethic, and I am too.ChampionoChumps

Texture Pack Support

Everyone has the right to complain. Imo there hasn't been any worthwhile updates to this game besides the nether. I personally would like to see more random structures (like bigger dungeons, or random villages/castles with npcs in them). I've lost interest in this game, sorry that somehow offends you.

Then get mods.
darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
i cannot stop playing it
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 metroidfood

Everyone has the right to complain. Imo there hasn't been any worthwhile updates to this game besides the nether. I personally would like to see more random structures (like bigger dungeons, or random villages/castles with npcs in them). I've lost interest in this game, sorry that somehow offends you.ChampionoChumps

If you think there's something wrong with the game then go post something constructive on the company's Get Satisfaction page instead of just calling the creator lazy because you haven't gotten 300 hours out of your game.

Adam_the_Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Adam_the_Nerd
Member since 2006 • 4403 Posts
I'm enjoying what I've played of it on my friend's version. I recommend it. Basically, if you love the city building aspect of any RTS or the house building aspect of the Sims, coupled with some good old-fashioned survival/tower defense gameplay, then you'll love it. Mods and multiplayer are great bonuses too.
redstormrisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 redstormrisen
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
Its Dwarf Fortress for people with much less patiance than people who play dwarf fortress. As someone who played Dig Deeper and mastered it a few years ago, I find it lacks depth. Although it is overall a better developed and coded game, with an actual GUI.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
[QUOTE="redstormrisen"]Its Dwarf Fortress for people with much less patiance than people who play dwarf fortress. As someone who played Dig Deeper and mastered it a few years ago, I find it lacks depth. Although it is overall a better developed and coded game, with an actual GUI.

Dwarf Fortress with Minecraft's graphics and UI would = godly gaming experience.
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ChampionoChumps

[QUOTE="ChampionoChumps"]Everyone has the right to complain. Imo there hasn't been any worthwhile updates to this game besides the nether. I personally would like to see more random structures (like bigger dungeons, or random villages/castles with npcs in them). I've lost interest in this game, sorry that somehow offends you.metroidfood

If you think there's something wrong with the game then go post something constructive on the company's Get Satisfaction page instead of just calling the creator lazy because you haven't gotten 300 hours out of your game.

Why are you hatin' on me bro? Am I not entitled to my opinion? Should I try to have a meeting with the President of the USA every time I have a problem with what he is doing?
ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

[QUOTE="ChampionoChumps"]Everyone has the right to complain. Imo there hasn't been any worthwhile updates to this game besides the nether. I personally would like to see more random structures (like bigger dungeons, or random villages/castles with npcs in them). I've lost interest in this game, sorry that somehow offends you.ChampionoChumps

Why are you hatin' on me bro? Am I not entitled to my opinion? Should I try to have a meeting with the President of the USA every time I have a problem with what he is doing?

Don't bother, it's the Notch Defense Force.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
It's a great game, make sure you have the wiki tabbed though.
hkhatir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hkhatir

Thank you everyone foe your help and comments.

I picked it upo and could not stop playing it.

On the surface its pretty simple but there are so many variants to the gameplay.

It sucked having to wake up exteremely tired for work the next day, and classes the day after because of how much I played but worth it.