Might upgrade CPU later this year

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Chris_53 (5171 posts) -
Heres a question, say if I upgraded my graphics card to a GTX670 (Im not actually going to do this yet since im happy with my current card) would I not get that much of an improvement in games such as FarCry 3, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, which can be quite CPU heavy? ,
#52 Posted by kraken2109 (13255 posts) -
Heres a question, say if I upgraded my graphics card to a GTX670 (Im not actually going to do this yet since im happy with my current card) would I not get that much of an improvement in games such as FarCry 3, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, which can be quite CPU heavy? ,Chris_53
It depends, even if it was CPU bottlenecked the extra GPU performance would let you increase something like AA that is pretty much entirely dependent on GPU performance without an fps hit.
#53 Posted by 04dcarraher (20726 posts) -
Heres a question, say if I upgraded my graphics card to a GTX670 (Im not actually going to do this yet since im happy with my current card) would I not get that much of an improvement in games such as FarCry 3, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, which can be quite CPU heavy? ,Chris_53
In most games ie games that (uses all four cores) a phenom 2 wont bottleneck a GTX 670 at all at 1080.
#54 Posted by bigfoot2045 (732 posts) -

The PS4 will have 8GB of GDDR5, which is an insane amount of video memory. Yep, anything you would build now would be a waste, and Sony had an ace up their sleeve. I just hate being right all the time. 

#55 Posted by kraken2109 (13255 posts) -

The PS4 will have 8GB of GDDR5, which is an insane amount of video memory. Yep, anything you would build now would be a waste, and Sony had an ace up their sleeve. I just hate being right all the time. 

bigfoot2045
That's total memory, shared between GPU and CPU, not just video memory. Bandwidth should be great though.
#56 Posted by Horgen (111460 posts) -
[QUOTE="FaustArp"]

I'll likely upgrade to a high-end Haswell when they're out.

Should be a nice step up from my 2600k.

04dcarraher
Nope, only expect 10-15% improvement over ivy.

Which again is a 10-15% over Sandy right? So we are talking somewhere between 20-30% over Sandy (roughly calculated).
#57 Posted by mitu123 (154668 posts) -

bigfoot2045

1. It's shared through the entire system.

2. Nope, if you read more about the specs, it's gpu is only like a Radeon 7850.

#58 Posted by way2funny (4570 posts) -

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="FaustArp"]

I'll likely upgrade to a high-end Haswell when they're out.

Should be a nice step up from my 2600k.

horgen123

Nope, only expect 10-15% improvement over ivy.

Which again is a 10-15% over Sandy right? So we are talking somewhere between 20-30% over Sandy (roughly calculated).

10-15% improvement over ivy is pretty significant.

Also, its no secret how much of an improvement every new Intel CPU will be. They tell you! 1 year is a die shrink, next  year is an architecture revamp (~10% or more).