Mid-Range Gaming Laptop - Please Advise

This topic is locked from further discussion.

el_diablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 el_diablo
Member since 2003 • 255 Posts

It's been a while since I bought a PC so I'm a bit out-of-date when it comes to specs. I'm looking for a laptop that can handle current games and can play future games like crysis even if on mid-low settings. I know it's better to get a desktop for gaming and all but I've decided on a laptop. Anyways, my budget is around $1600...

I checked out some of the laptops available and the best I've seen is the HP dv9500t (17") at around $1500: Core 2 Duo T7300 (2.0 GHz, 4MB L2), 2GB DDR2, 511MB Geforce 8600M GS, 160GB 5400 rpm HDD

Will this rig be able to meet my gaming needs? And what other companies have relatively good-priced, quality laptops that I should check out?

Aznsilvrboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Aznsilvrboy
Member since 2002 • 11495 Posts
Asus F3SV-X1 and it's A1/B1 variants. They're around your price range, but 15.4" screen which is a balance between size and portability. There's also the high end Asus G1S (has Geforce 8600M GT) and Asus G2S (has 17" screen).
fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 fynne
Member since 2002 • 8078 Posts
That looks like a pretty good machine. I bought a Dell Inspiron 9400 myself and I've been pretty happy with it.
mozzila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mozzila
Member since 2005 • 54 Posts

I would encourage you to find a laptop with a 7200rpm hard drive, 5400 is pretty slow and causes alot of studdering in more demanding games.

LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LibertySaint
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
yeah but if u can't get the 7200 rpm, it will do fine, but 5400 rpm is now below average for games and movie making apps, saying that tho, if your patient...you shouldn't need to worry too much.
LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LibertySaint
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
also that rig will run crysis at medium to low end of the high settings.
mozzila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mozzila
Member since 2005 • 54 Posts
The 8600M i doubt will run crysis at high, definitely a solid medium if I had to guess.
el_diablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 el_diablo

Hmm.. What about the Dell Inspiron 1720? It has the same specs as the dv9500t but it's fitted with the 8600M GT for the exact same price. Would that be a better buy or are HPs generally better than Dells in quality?

Oh and just for curiousity, how exactly do Asus Barebone laptops work? Are they like desktops that you can build or what? and would building a good one be pricey?

nohnaimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nohnaimer
Member since 2003 • 513 Posts
Vostro 1500 smart value package
el_diablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 el_diablo

Vostro 1500 smart value packagenohnaimer

Aren't Vostros made for business use?

Aznsilvrboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Aznsilvrboy

Hmm.. What about the Dell Inspiron 1720? It has the same specs as the dv9500t but it's fitted with the 8600M GT for the exact same price. Would that be a better buy or are HPs generally better than Dells in quality?

Oh and just for curiousity, how exactly do Asus Barebone laptops work? Are they like desktops that you can build or what? and would building a good one be pricey?

el_diablo

Asus barebone notebooks just means that it doesn't come with all the extra Asus software pre-installed on the machine (i think) as opposed to Asus ensemble notebooks.

el_diablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 el_diablo
[QUOTE="el_diablo"]

Aznsilvrboy

Asus barebone notebooks just means that it doesn't come with all the extra Asus software pre-installed on the machine (i think) as opposed to Asus ensemble notebooks.

I looked up the C90 and I believe I'm right, it allows you to actually build em from parts u want (except a few that come pre-installed). I really like the idea of it and I'm planning on getting the C90S (15") with great specs at a good price soon.

Aznsilvrboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Aznsilvrboy
[QUOTE="Aznsilvrboy"][QUOTE="el_diablo"]

el_diablo

I looked up the C90 and I believe I'm right, it allows you to actually build em from parts u want (except a few that come pre-installed). I really like the idea of it and I'm planning on getting the C90S (15") with great specs at a good price soon.

Oh I see.

1337pwnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 1337pwnage
Member since 2005 • 448 Posts
dude, you should just get the laptop that I got. It's a 15.4 inch screen but it cost me $1380 flat. It's a dell inspiron 1520.