Microsoft to reveal a surprise for PC gamers...

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/404918,microsoft-to-reveal-a-surprise-for-pc-gamers.aspx

You know what would be really cool?

If they had an inbuilt gaming client into Windows (which is the Xbox App), but it could sync all the game clients into one (Steam, Origin, Uplay, Battle.Net) etc. So you could see all your friends in one list.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

GFWL2 dressed up as the Xbox App is what we're going to be shoveled at E3.

No thank you. I'm tired of companies trying to be the end-all solution for my gaming needs. I have Steam, I have Origin, I have uPlay, I have GOG Galaxy. I really don't need any more.

Is it too much to ask for to be left alone? Give me DX12, allow me to make Windows as light as possible in order to run games more effectively. That's all I want.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FelipeInside

@airshocker said:

No thank you. I'm tired of companies trying to be the end-all solution for my gaming needs. I have Steam, I have Origin, I have uPlay, I have GOG Galaxy. I really don't need any more.

Is it too much to ask for to be left alone? Give me DX12, allow me to make Windows as light as possible in order to run games more effectively. That's all I want.

You don't have to use the Xbox App you know. But I wouldn't mind one client that combines all of them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@FelipeInside said:
@airshocker said:

You don't have to use the Xbox App you know. But I wouldn't mind one client that combines all of them.

Says who? MS? What happens when PC games published by MS start requiring the use of the Xbox App? You can't say that they won't.

What I'm concerned about is how Microsoft is going to force me to use their "gaming" apps. Are they going to restrict certain features unless I use it? Will certain content be stripped out unless I use it? Will DLC packs be tied to it? If it's completely voluntary with no strings attached, I don't care about it. But that's not how Microsoft operates.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside

@airshocker said:
@FelipeInside said:
@airshocker said:

Says who? MS? What happens when PC games published by MS start requiring the use of the Xbox App? You can't say that they won't.

What I'm concerned about is how Microsoft is going to force me to use their "gaming" apps. Are they going to restrict certain features unless I use it? Will certain content be stripped out unless I use it? Will DLC packs be tied to it? If it's completely voluntary with no strings attached, I don't care about it. But that's not how Microsoft operates.

It's completely voluntary unless it's an Xbox title like you mentioned (confirmed by MS). But that's the same case as other games. For example if you want to play Black Ops 2 then you are tied (forced) to use Steam.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

That you can actually fully disable UAC, driver signing, and disable DWM?

Back to Win7.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Back to Win7.

My god man.... let it go, lol..... it's just an extra click....hahahahahahaha

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

"If they had an inbuilt gaming client into Windows (which is the Xbox App), but it could sync all the game clients into one (Steam, Origin, Uplay, Battle.Net) etc. So you could see all your friends in one list."

No. just no. GFWL was bad enough I want nothing other then a dx12 release and maybe some games from Microsoft. I really hope they don't do something stupid and try to route all the games through their own service of some sort. I honestly want nothing to do with their online marketplaces or services I want their DX12 and operating system and maybe pc games which Microsoft doesn't appear to make anymore.

If it's another game hosting client and store front it's not a happy suprise but a GO **** yourself kind of one. I all ready have a steam, origin, uplay, gog, green man gaming, and squere enix and rockstar account. I don't need anymore fucking accounts or services I'm sick of having too many now as it is.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FelipeInside

@ribstaylor1 said:

"If they had an inbuilt gaming client into Windows (which is the Xbox App), but it could sync all the game clients into one (Steam, Origin, Uplay, Battle.Net) etc. So you could see all your friends in one list."

No. just no. GFWL was bad enough I want nothing other then a dx12 release and maybe some games from microsoft. I really hope they don't do something stupid and try to route all the games through their own service of some sort. I honestly want nothing to do with their online marketplaces or services I want their DX12 and operating system and maybe pc games which Microsoft doesn't appear to make

So you prefer having to launch multiple clients instead of having a centralized one?

I'm sometimes playing a game and my friends are in another, but we can't tell we are online cause we are on different clients. It would be nice to have them all on the same platform.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

I have a bad feeling about this "surprise" for some reason lol.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

@FelipeInside said:
@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Back to Win7.

For DWM input lag:

I'm just butthurt that I can't play cs:go or something in Win8+ in boarderless. Also if I go SLI with another 970, that adds one more frame of input lag. That and boarderless = 2 additional frames of input lag, which is around 30ms+.

I mean you can tell on the desktop too. If you have a chance, put Win7 on one of your hard drives and put classic mode on. It feels noticeably more responsive than Win7 Aero/Win8+. If anyone tries it, make sure you set your effects to this https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46294175/temp/randomwindows/Capture.PNG or you will get random lag when minimizing windows.

About UAC, you sometimes have to click 10+ times if you are doing stuff in your program files folder. It's really annoying.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ribstaylor1

@FelipeInside: I prefer not to add another client that most likely won't work as intended for months if not a year or two after launch. GOG galazy has many current issues and missing features as a new service. I doubt Microsoft is going to do much better, especially with how they've treated and handled the pc and their GFWL service. I have zero faith they'll do a service that outdoes steam which by the way can house every game you own and have it start off the steam client just like your suggesting they implement.

After GFWL and how they handled the over all app market places of windows 8 and 8.1 I want nothing to do with their vision of the future when it comes to how consumers buy and take in content. I'll stick to steam for now orign and uplay for when I absolutely have to and GOG as my new go too in the near future aftr the bugs and minor issues are worked out.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JigglyWiggly_

@ribstaylor1 said:

@FelipeInside: I prefer not to add another client that most likely won't work as intended for months if not a year or two after launch. GOG galazy has many current issues and missing features as a new service. I doubt Microsoft is going to do much better, especially with how they've treated and handled the pc and their GFWL service. I have zero faith they'll do a service that outdoes steam which by the way can house every game you own and have it start off the steam client just like your suggesting they implement.

After GFWL and how they handled the over all app market places of windows 8 and 8.1 I want nothing to do with their vision of the future when it comes to how consumers buy and take in content. I'll stick to steam for now orign and uplay for when I absolutely have to and GOG as my new go too in the near future aftr the bugs and minor issues are worked out.

I haven't had any issues with GOG so far,

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ribstaylor1

@JigglyWiggly_: HAve they fixed the issue of galaxy only installing and downloading games to program files in the c folder and not giving you an option of where you want it? Same with the updates have they made it so you tell the update where the game folder is instead of it assuming it's where the galazy program would put it? I know those are two of the largest issues with GOG galazy service and their update system at the moment. I've read many more are having minor too major issues, but the service just launched a couple of weeks ago so It will get better. Hoping it does by a lot as I'd like to use it over DRM riddled competitors.

GoodKingMog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GoodKingMog
Member since 2015 • 167 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:
@FelipeInside said:
@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Back to Win7.

For DWM input lag:

I'm just butthurt that I can't play cs:go or something in Win8+ in boarderless. Also if I go SLI with another 970, that adds one more frame of input lag. That and boarderless = 2 additional frames of input lag, which is around 30ms+.

I mean you can tell on the desktop too. If you have a chance, put Win7 on one of your hard drives and put classic mode on. It feels noticeably more responsive than Win7 Aero/Win8+. If anyone tries it, make sure you set your effects to this https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46294175/temp/randomwindows/Capture.PNG or you will get random lag when minimizing windows.

About UAC, you sometimes have to click 10+ times if you are doing stuff in your program files folder. It's really annoying.

oh GAWD not one fucking frame.

jiggly you arent so MLG pro that one frame even matters. please *rolls eyes*

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

At long last. Solitaire 2.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@FelipeInside said:
@airshocker said:
@FelipeInside said:
@airshocker said:

It's completely voluntary unless it's an Xbox title like you mentioned (confirmed by MS). But that's the same case as other games. For example if you want to play Black Ops 2 then you are tied (forced) to use Steam.

So it's not completely voluntary. It's sometimes voluntary unless you want to play a MS title. I don't care what Steam does. Steam is widely accepted by the PC gaming community. 90% of PC gamers have Steam.

What I don't want is another shitty attempt at Microsoft trying to create a gaming atmosphere. You seem to be the only person who wants that, which boggles my mind.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

@goodkingmog said:
@JigglyWiggly_ said:
@FelipeInside said:
@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Back to Win7.

For DWM input lag:

oh GAWD not one fucking frame.

jiggly you arent so MLG pro that one frame even matters. please *rolls eyes*

Just because I don't play comp doesn't mean I can't enjoy a nice responsive game.

Also FWIW, my reaction time on humanbenchmark is 135ms. That's faster than every single pro awper in cs go who's done it and posted their results.

Of course that stuff doesn't matter, but if you add 20ms to it, that's a 14% difference.

All of them use Win7 classic mode as well, as well as every single person who played Tribes. There's no reason to handicap yourself.

The thing is, anyone can notice the difference.

You should try something before writing it off. It's the same thing with 120hz monitors when they were new. A lot of people dismissed them without even trying them.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

@ribstaylor1 said:

@JigglyWiggly_: HAve they fixed the issue of galaxy only installing and downloading games to program files in the c folder and not giving you an option of where you want it? Same with the updates have they made it so you tell the update where the game folder is instead of it assuming it's where the galazy program would put it? I know those are two of the largest issues with GOG galazy service and their update system at the moment. I've read many more are having minor too major issues, but the service just launched a couple of weeks ago so It will get better. Hoping it does by a lot as I'd like to use it over DRM riddled competitors.

I can install games to different directories, but if you mean like the cache folder for games that are currently downloading, I'm not sure.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@FelipeInside:

Nah, it'll go something like this;

"We at Microsoft are commited to the PC gamers, and as a token of our appreciation, we are releasing DX12 as some of you be aware of, with DX12 comes many benefits, and I will outline some major features [outlines features], we also have one last major feature that has been kept a secret. As the Xbox community has been happy with this feature, we Microsoft have brought this feature to all DX12 titles on PC, we are limiting the frame-limit of all PC games to 30FPS for that cinematic feel"

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FelipeInside

@ribstaylor1 said:

@FelipeInside: steam which by the way can house every game you own and have it start off the steam client just like your suggesting they implement.

I wish it did, but it doesn't.

For example you can run GOG Witcher 3 off Steam, but the overlay doesn't work. (many non-steam games have this same issue)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FelipeInside

@airshocker said:

So it's not completely voluntary. It's sometimes voluntary unless you want to play a MS title. I don't care what Steam does. Steam is widely accepted by the PC gaming community. 90% of PC gamers have Steam.

What I don't want is another shitty attempt at Microsoft trying to create a gaming atmosphere. You seem to be the only person who wants that, which boggles my mind.

So you're saying it's fine for Blizzard, Valve, EA and Ubisoft to use their own client to launch their own games.... but if Microsoft wants to launch their own games with their own client (not confirmed btw) then it's wrong?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#23 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

What we want:

• Freelancer 2
  • New RTS
  • First Party Games on PC.

What Microsoft will reveal:

• Stream Xbox Games on PC
  • Dx 12 is awesome
  • Win10 store with big Xbox logo
  • In best case scenario; PC version of third party game that was always supposed to be on PC (Tomb Raider)
Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

They'll probably tell us how dedicated they are to PC gaming (again) and try to jam some Xbox app down our throat.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
@FelipeInside said:

For example you can run GOG Witcher 3 off Steam, but the overlay doesn't work. (many non-steam games have this same issue)

The Overlay did work until they patched it. You just need to delete dxgi.dll and d3d11.dll from C:\GOG Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\x64 and it works again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

New Age Of empires or get boo'ed of the stage.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside

@klunt_bumskrint said:
@FelipeInside said:

The Overlay did work until they patched it. You just need to delete dxgi.dll and d3d11.dll from C:\GOG Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\x64 and it works again.

Good to know, thanks for the tip.

Does deleting those files break anything though?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-579f651eab962

@FelipeInside: not that I noticed....

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts

I just want the Master Chief Collection on pc tbh. I won't be holding my breath though. >_>

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Things I'd actually want:

• New Age of Empires
  • Halo collection on PC
  • New flight simulator
skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Now you have to log in and pay a monthly subscription to use windows. That why its going to be free.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#32  Edited By Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

DX12 will be available for all games that have DX11 and DX10 support :) ....what? a man can dream!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@FelipeInside said:
@airshocker said:

So you're saying it's fine for Blizzard, Valve, EA and Ubisoft to use their own client to launch their own games.... but if Microsoft wants to launch their own games with their own client (not confirmed btw) then it's wrong?

That isn't what I said. I've been just as critical of EA, Ubisoft and Blizzard with regards to their attempts at grabbing Steam's marketshare. Steam is already dominant. There is a reason I buy 98% of my games off of Steam/get codes for Steam.

I don't want another GFWL. That was my single most hated experience in gaming. The consumer sentiment is there: People don't want anymore digital distribution platforms. Origin was somewhat palatable because there are a shit ton of EA games. UPlay is still very negatively regarded. Battle.net is relatively insignificant. GOG Galaxy is great because it lets you have access to titles Steam doesn't have. Why, again, do we need an Xbox app that does the same exact thing only for Microsoft?

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2451 Posts

Whatever it is, it will suck and won't matter.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

I highly doubt it's anything good.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

My prediction is seeing a console game exclusive like KI come out for free or cheap with windows 10 with cross platform play.. To really promote the new windows system and their ga,ing platform.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

@FelipeInside: not a bad idea.

just launch that app and itll log you into steam, uplay, origin etc. in one go.

it would also do things like allow you to quickly switch between stores. to go completely crazy it could also do price comparisons between all your registered services and show you if game X is cheaper on steam than origin or whatever.

it depends on whether those 4rd parties are willing to make that information available to a 3rd party app. the security would have to be tight.

the biggest surprise though would be if MS actually announced a game...for windows.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#38 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58941 Posts
@Gamerno6666 said:

New Age Of empires or get boo'ed of the stage.

That would make many people back on board with them. 1, classic pc game, returned without any free2play bullshittery.

But, chances are it will be free2play mobile bullshttery or done-and-done Xbox games, which I personally couldn't give a shit about.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

So, how is Microsoft re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-dedicating itself to PC gaming this year?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FelipeInside

@skipper847 said:

Now you have to log in and pay a monthly subscription to use windows. That why its going to be free.

No it's not so stop spreading incorrect information.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FelipeInside
@airshocker said:

That isn't what I said. I've been just as critical of EA, Ubisoft and Blizzard with regards to their attempts at grabbing Steam's marketshare. Steam is already dominant. There is a reason I buy 98% of my games off of Steam/get codes for Steam.

I don't want another GFWL. That was my single most hated experience in gaming. The consumer sentiment is there: People don't want anymore digital distribution platforms. Origin was somewhat palatable because there are a shit ton of EA games. UPlay is still very negatively regarded. Battle.net is relatively insignificant. GOG Galaxy is great because it lets you have access to titles Steam doesn't have. Why, again, do we need an Xbox app that does the same exact thing only for Microsoft?

That was my point. There are so many different clients out there that I wouldn't mind if Microsoft created a centre stage for all of them so it's easier for the consumer (probably won't happen cause of security).

Steam might be dominant but it's not the best out there. Us Aussies now have to stop using it cause of the dollar exchange.... when Valve promised 2 years ago they were going to put Australian prices on the store (we are still waiting).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@FelipeInside said:
@airshocker said:

That was my point. There are so many different clients out there that I wouldn't mind if Microsoft created a centre stage for all of them so it's easier for the consumer (probably won't happen cause of security).

Steam might be dominant but it's not the best out there. Us Aussies now have to stop using it cause of the dollar exchange.... when Valve promised 2 years ago they were going to put Australian prices on the store (we are still waiting).

You seem to have forgotten the many promises Microsoft has made with regards to PC gaming. Let me refresh your memory.

https://i.imgur.com/6v8j9s6.png

Microsoft isn't going to do any better for you. Not sure why you think that would be the case.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FelipeInside

@airshocker said:

You seem to have forgotten the many promises Microsoft has made with regards to PC gaming. Let me refresh your memory.

Microsoft isn't going to do any better for you. Not sure why you think that would be the case.

One can hope can't they? lol......

Hopefully this time they actually deliver.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#44 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_: I barely used win8 for many reasons. But is it really not possible to disable aero/DWM in windows 8 or windows 10? Its such a simple switch i find this extremely irratating microsoft wouldn't give an option this essential to people.

For the most part I actually use aero for most games i play in windowed mode because it prevents a lot of screen tearing. But theres no doubt it does add slight lag to the game, maybe even more then the 1 frame your talking about. And if i was into fps and used windowed gameplay i would likely want as lag free as possible.

Its so dumb, they don't let you disable aero with windows 8? yet they disabled aero glass in windows 8 because they claim it would use up too much battery power or some stupid excuse... and we end up with clunky windows 95 looking windows because of it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FelipeInside

@Yams1980 said:

@JigglyWiggly_: I barely used win8 for many reasons. But is it really not possible to disable aero/DWM in windows 8 or windows 10? Its such a simple switch i find this extremely irratating microsoft wouldn't give an option this essential to people.

For the most part I actually use aero for most games i play in windowed mode because it prevents a lot of screen tearing. But theres no doubt it does add slight lag to the game, maybe even more then the 1 frame your talking about. And if i was into fps and used windowed gameplay i would likely want as lag free as possible.

Its so dumb, they don't let you disable aero with windows 8? yet they disabled aero glass in windows 8 because they claim it would use up too much battery power or some stupid excuse... and we end up with clunky windows 95 looking windows because of it.

Sorry but what Aero are you guys talking about?

The transparent windows aero feature is not in Windows 8.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

He means DWM. DWM uses your gpu to render the desktop and windows, the downside is that it has its own vsync.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#47 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Surprise is probably something like a F2P game being bundled with windows 10

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#48 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

probably a surprise for our butts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@FelipeInside said:
@airshocker said:

One can hope can't they? lol......

Hopefully this time they actually deliver.

Sure, but I just don't see the point, man.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

1 click windows 7 option... So I don't have to look up guides to fully disable that horrible tablet OS that lies beneath.