Microsoft making it's own Linux distro...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

http://www.inquisitr.com/2201984/miux-by-microsoft-why-windows-10-maker-may-release-its-own-linux-os-distro-soon/

MS sure has been a different company ever since Bill and Steve left.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

its*

That's from the inquisitr which is a bad news source.

Their source is from an april fools joke, http://itsfoss.com/microsoft-announces-linux-os/

SamusBeliskner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SamusBeliskner
Member since 2015 • 569 Posts

I don't know about that, but they're definitely making a copy of IIS that runs on Linux.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

I see. Why are they posting an april fools news article in late june?

I just type linux into google and click news, and this article was near the top. bogus news.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@AlexKidd5000 said:

I just type linux into google and click news, and this article was near the top. bogus news.

There is a bit of truth to Linux and Microsoft though. Let me explain:

MS have been toying (testing) with the idea of running native Android Apps on their new Windows 10 platform. (like Bluestacks does).

If they go ahead then Win10 would be able to run all the MS Store Apps as well as all the Android Apps. (making it a much bigger store than Apple's).

I don't know how it's really going to work or go ahead though since Google hates Microsoft.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts
@FelipeInside said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

MS have been toying (testing) with the idea of running native Android Apps on their new Windows 10 platform. (like Bluestacks does).

If they go ahead then Win10 would be able to run all the MS Store Apps as well as all the Android Apps. (making it a much bigger store than Apple's).

I don't know how it's really going to work or go ahead though since Google hates Microsoft.

Nah. They are pals now. Typescript.

Frankly, I don't want Microsoft sliming the linux landscape with their NSA bullshit.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@schu said:
@FelipeInside said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

Frankly, I don't want Microsoft sliming the linux landscape with their NSA bullshit.

NSA Bullshit?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@schu said:
@FelipeInside said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

NSA Bullshit?

It's funny how everyone keeps tying MS to NSA when Google, Apple, Facebook, and other tech giants are just as guilty.

fatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 fatee
Member since 2004 • 371 Posts

Microsoft has directly been involved with and directly funded Linux since day 1.
If you think MS server network runs on Windows sever 2003, you are very mistaken.

As for Apple, It's literally a re-compiled linux distro.
Hence the whole "we can't get a virus hur durrr"

For an actual stand-alone linux OS? yeah. Not happening. That's a false news source.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@fatee said:

Microsoft has directly been involved with and directly funded Linux since day 1.

If you think MS server network runs on Windows sever 2003, you are very mistaken.

As for Apple, It's literally a re-compiled linux distro.

Hence the whole "we can't get a virus hur durrr"

For an actual stand-alone linux OS? yeah. Not happening. That's a false news source.

Yeah I don't think they'd use an OS that's about to go EOL either. Yes they do use their own server os, they use Windows at their workplace, they are going to be using active directory. Samba is not a domain controller replacement.

Microsoft uses IIS to host their websites, which has to be run on Windows.

OSX is Unix, not Linux.