Mediaval or Empire: Total War

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts

Ok so since I have built my new pc I got to play racing, shooting and RPG games to my heart's content. Now I would like to try one of these 2 games since they both are RTS and cover my 2 favorite time periods.

Suggestions welcome :)

GoddyQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GoddyQ
Member since 2008 • 70 Posts

I prefer Medieval!

It just feels more fun and epic for me, and I love playing with the danes :)

jrabbit99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 jrabbit99
Member since 2007 • 2836 Posts
get medieval gold edition then when your done, which won't be for a while, Empire TW might have an expansion and will be cheaper
Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

Medieval..much much better game.

Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts

Medieval 2 Total War is superior by far.

will952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 will952
Member since 2008 • 655 Posts

Am I the only one fighting Empire's corner here? Empire Total War is a purely epic game, whether it is better than Medieval I cannot say, but it is definately bigger and I think the gun combat breathes new life into the franchise, giving you new tactics to use.

Also, nothing is more satisfying than a howitzer shot that hits dead on, taking out half a unit in one go!

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Am I the only one fighting Empire's corner here? Empire Total War is a purely epic game, whether it is better than Medieval I cannot say, but it is definately bigger and I think the gun combat breathes new life into the franchise, giving you new tactics to use.

Also, nothing is more satisfying than a howitzer shot that hits dead on, taking out half a unit in one go!

will952
Well I like it way more than Medieval , but it's horrible when it comes to actually playing the game :( ther are game breaking glitches, bugs, performance issues.
duxter1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

#8 duxter1
Member since 2008 • 409 Posts

Most of the glicthes in empire total war have been patched up by now so i prefer empire. If you really like melee comabat and cavalry you whould get medieval. Naval and artillery go for empire. Empire is a bigger game so i think it feels more epic, the multiplayer is more fun imo and there is supposed to be a multiplayer campaign

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

Medieval 2, buddy

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"]

Ok so since I have built my new pc I got to play racing, shooting and RPG games to my heart's content. Now I would like to try one of these 2 games since they both are RTS and cover my 2 favorite time periods.

Suggestions welcome :)

ETW, more steamline and easier to learn imo, the interface in MTW2 is too clunky for me.
bac_Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 bac_Alexander
Member since 2004 • 819 Posts

After playing both I have to say that I prefer Medieval 2. I got bored with Empire Total War, I will probably try playing it again when I get a new computer and with new patchs. Medieval 2 with Kingdom expansion and Stainless Steel 6.1 is great.

eclarkdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#12 eclarkdog
Member since 2004 • 1310 Posts

Medieval...'nuff said

Avatar image for Charles_Dickens
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Charles_Dickens
Member since 2009 • 1693 Posts

I just installed Empire two days ago, to get it ready for the big upcoming weekend, and have only played in one big battle - but wow... just wow.

I really liked the battles in Medieval 2, but the Empire battle that I saw just completely knocked my socks off. You have to see it in action to believe it. If you've got the rig for it, Empire is amazing.

And note that I haven't even seen a sea battle yet - most people have said that they're even better looking than the land battles. Also, the campaign map is really beautiful in Empire. I suspect that I'm going to like Empire more than I did Medieval 2.

The 1.3 patch has apparently fixed a lot of the big issues that were around at launch. So Empire has got my vote.

DarkMorgoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DarkMorgoth
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I plan on purchasing Medieval TW if not just for the Third Age Total War Mod :)
l0ve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#15 l0ve
Member since 2005 • 3178 Posts
Is Medieval Total war better than Rome Total war?
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Thank you everyone for the replies so far. I decided to give the demos a whirl (starting tomorrow) to, hopefully, help me make up my mind.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

will952
I love Empire Total War, and it is by far the most epic and best in the series. Though I do miss good ol melee combat. Makes me want to go back to Rome. I hated Medieval 2 Total War. I thought it had some serious balancing issues and actually to much micromanagement.
duxter1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 duxter1

Is Medieval Total war better than Rome Total war?l0ve

Neither medieval or medieval 2 total war are as good as rome. I enjoyed rtw more then anyother game ever

gslaughs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gslaughs
Member since 2008 • 167 Posts

[QUOTE="l0ve"]Is Medieval Total war better than Rome Total war?duxter1

Neither medieval or medieval 2 total war are as good as rome. I enjoyed rtw more then anyother game ever

I find this information to be correct.

duxter1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 duxter1

its an opinion

Gaber1999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gaber1999
Member since 2006 • 235 Posts

I personally say that you get both since they are both amazing, however to start, I guess you should get Medieval first. It is quite a bit buggy in the combat, for example enemy units will come within firing range and let you shoot them till you run out of arrows. Medieval is still a great game and is a good starter into the total war series. Empire requires much more micromanaging in the campaign (if you manually manage) and will seem amazing if you play it after playing medieval.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

Err.... may i recommend Europa Universalis 3? i feel it's much deeper. a thinker's game.

nhatnheo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 nhatnheo
Member since 2007 • 59 Posts

I think ETW is better, you know, the naval combat is cool but sometimes is really hard to control a big fleet. And I think both of em are very good. But the medieval TW is more complex( i only mention the battle) you have to have more casualties than the E TW.

sexy_fool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sexy_fool69
Member since 2008 • 748 Posts

I just installed Empire two days ago, to get it ready for the big upcoming weekend, and have only played in one big battle - but wow... just wow.

I really liked the battles in Medieval 2, but the Empire battle that I saw just completely knocked my socks off. You have to see it in action to believe it. If you've got the rig for it, Empire is amazing.

And note that I haven't even seen a sea battle yet - most people have said that they're even better looking than the land battles. Also, the campaign map is really beautiful in Empire. I suspect that I'm going to like Empire more than I did Medieval 2.

The 1.3 patch has apparently fixed a lot of the big issues that were around at launch. So Empire has got my vote.

Charles_Dickens
including all the AI issues?
Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#26 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

get medieval gold edition then when your done, which won't be for a while, Empire TW might have an expansion and will be cheaperjrabbit99

This. Medieval is a good introduction to the series, and improves on Rome in almost every way (although Rome was a better game for it's time.)