Mechanical Keyboards: Do They Live Up to the Hype?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shufu7-11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 shufu7-11
Member since 2006 • 943 Posts

Hey guys. I currently have a cheap rubber-dome keyboard (this one, to be exact: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823107120) and am looking into getting a mechanical keyboard. But before I drop that much dough for something I don't neccessarily need, I'd like hear from those who have used or are using mechanical keyboards themselves. Are they worth spending that much extra money on? And if so, which type of keys should I look into getting? I use my desktop pretty much 50/50 typing/gaming. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Yes, they are very responsive. Once you press a key, it responses straight away.

Mechanical keys also feels good to press.

--------

This should help you in deciding which kind of Cherry MX switch you want.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
The type of keys highly depends on the user. I also use the keyboard for 50/50 typing and gaming, so I picked out a keyboard with MX Cherry Browns. LOVE THEM! Now I hear blues are good for that too (but more nosier). Or maybe Blacks will help you more. Depends on how you type and stuff.
shufu7-11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shufu7-11

Yes, they are very responsive. Once you press a key, it responses straight away.

--------

Cyberdot
Thanks for the link! I guess my question now is can I expect a significant increase in my performance during gaming, i.e. will the increased responsiveness lead me to play any better than with my current cheap-o keyboard?
shufu7-11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 shufu7-11
[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]The type of keys highly depends on the user. I also use the keyboard for 50/50 typing and gaming, so I picked out a keyboard with MX Cherry Browns. LOVE THEM! Now I hear blues are good for that too (but more nosier). Or maybe Blacks will help you more. Depends on how you type and stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was leaning toward browns so it's nice to get confirmation from someone else!
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

--------

shufu7-11
Thanks for the link! I guess my question now is can I expect a significant increase in my performance during gaming, i.e. will the increased responsiveness lead me to play any better than with my current cheap-o keyboard?

I wouldn't expect a performance increase, just a comfyness increase and a keyboard that'll last forever.
shufu7-11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 shufu7-11
[QUOTE="shufu7-11"][QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

--------

General_X

I wouldn't expect a performance increase, just a comfyness increase and a keyboard that'll last forever.

I suppose the increased comfort would certainly be worth the upgrade!
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Skill > kb.

Maybe it would help you with rts since you can hear every click you make.

Cherry browns, I have blues and they are bit stiff there are stiffer ones that I don't recommend.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

--------

shufu7-11

Possibly.

I was comparing mechanical with membrane, and I can see the difference which I feel gives a good benefit to my gameplay. I don't think I'll go back to membrane after using mechanical; if you go mechanical, you'll get hooked. I don't like the "loose" feel in the gameplay from membrane keyboards.

Avatar image for ChocolateCake10
ChocolateCake10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ChocolateCake10
Member since 2008 • 759 Posts

I really enjoy using mine. It feels good to type on and is very responsive. 

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
They're ok. Feel nice, but they will most likely make you type slower than a rubber dome keyboard. Chiclet keyboards are what I use and they feel much better than rubberdomes and they are the fastest to type on. Chiclets are really cheap as well.
homeboylizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 homeboylizard
Member since 2010 • 1289 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]The type of keys highly depends on the user. I also use the keyboard for 50/50 typing and gaming, so I picked out a keyboard with MX Cherry Browns. LOVE THEM! Now I hear blues are good for that too (but more nosier). Or maybe Blacks will help you more. Depends on how you type and stuff.

My Cherry MX Blue serves me good, and I type a lot of text, and they are not bad for gaming either. But they are noisy as hell!