Max Payne 3 pre order bonus = higher bullet dmg in multiplayer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Whatcurb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Whatcurb
Member since 2010 • 75 Posts

So I was browsing amazon when I noticed the pre order bonus for Max Payne 3 was the Death Force Burst, which increases bullet dmg in multiplayer.. so am I assuming if you don't pre order you're gunna be at a disadvantage off the bat? really hate seeing bonuses like these that affect multiplayer, hopefully there are unlockables in game that are equivalent or better

BLKR4330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 BLKR4330
Member since 2006 • 1698 Posts

yes, it appears you are right. if i buy this i will not be buying it for the multi-player yet the way they emphasize multi-player by doing this and allowing pay-to-win crap has me less hopeful that this will be something i like to play.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

So I was browsing amazon when I noticed the pre order bonus for Max Payne 3 was the Death Force Burst, which increases bullet dmg in multiplayer.. so am I assuming if you don't pre order you're gunna be at a disadvantage off the bat? really hate seeing bonuses like these that affect multiplayer, hopefully there are unlockables in game that are equivalent or better

Whatcurb

LOL pay 2 win tactics are bs. Another pre order bs going too far

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Wow, that really dumb. You should not give players a leg up in a game becuase they preorder.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

While I am not a fan of any of the pre-order/collector's edition nonsense that takes place these days, this idea is definitely one of the worst.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
amazing idea for me to not buy it
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#7 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts
Don't buy this game for the multiplayer. Max Payne is a single-player focused franchise. MP is just an obligatory tack-on.
Warhawk_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Warhawk_
Member since 2006 • 1497 Posts

Well that's another game that I will not buy which is a shame because I was a huge fan of the first two. I can see EA, Ubisoft, Warner Bros, THQ, and Capcom doing this. But Rockstar? I can't believe how low they sunk. And yeah I know people will say here "well who cares it's only multiplayer, people only play the single player only". That's true but doesn't mean we should ignore this garbage. People who might want to play multiplayer but don't pre-order will get screwed.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#9 with_teeth26  Online
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Maybe its a perk you unlock later by playing the game? That is really dumb. Good thing I'm not planning on doing much multiplayer

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

preorder perks are ruining gaming.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
It can give me an "Iwin" button in the MP and I wouldn't care, MP1/MP2 were great for being story driven games with strong level design and combat. This sort of stuff upsets forum goers but this sort of thing gets more pre orders, and again, Rockstar is a business organization, not some non-profit magical fairy organization that wishes games into existence, a lot of gamers on forums fail to comprehend this.
MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts
I wonder if this is a preorder bonus only for Amazon. You can preorder it from a lot of different places.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

Glad I don't play multiplayer. That is a terrible pre order bonus.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GummiRaccoon

It can give me an "Iwin" button in the MP and I wouldn't care, MP1/MP2 were great for being story driven games with strong level design and combat. This sort of stuff upsets forum goers but this sort of thing gets more pre orders, and again, Rockstar is a business organization, not some non-profit magical fairy organization that wishes games into existence, a lot of gamers on forums fail to comprehend this.Zubinen

Yeah they are a business and we are customers and when the business makes a terrible choice we can voice our concerns and vote with our money.

Maybe the outrage will be so great that this will negatively effect preorders. At that point, it wouldn't exactly be a sound business decision.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

Slightly off topic, but I don't hate the idea of there being multiplayer. I am extremely impressed by the engine they are using and they have a chance to make one of the most intense gritty "crime" shooters. Firefights would be intense. And from the look of things, could be the multiplayer game Kane and Lynch aspired (and failed) to be.

On topic: rah rah pre-order bonuses are bad, Rockstar greedy!

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts

Slightly off topic, but I don't hate the idea of there being multiplayer. I am extremely impressed by the engine they are using and they have a chance to make one of the most intense gritty "crime" shooters. Firefights would be intense. And from the look of things, could be the multiplayer game Kane and Lynch aspired (and failed) to be.

Sharpie125
Or it could be extremely tedious like GTAIV was although I'm sure some of you masochists would love that :P
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GummiRaccoon

Sharpie125

Preorders are fine unless they mess with multiplayer balance.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

[QUOTE="Sharpie125"]

Zubinen

Or it could be extremely tedious like GTAIV was although I'm sure some of you masochists would love that :P

If that's the case, the whole game is going to be in a lot of trouble. I'm banking on the gunplay to be orgasmic. I don't expect to be wowed in the story department, but the action looks fantastic. Just carry that over to multiplayer.

I mean, once you have the core mechanic down, what could you possibly *not do* in order to screw it up? All you need is halfway competent map designers and an interesting gametype. They could do a spin-off of capture the flag (shipment? drug mule?) and your team has to get it to a helicopter or boat while the other team has to steal and deliver the goods to their own getaway vehicle; a fierce shoot-out erupts in the Sao Paulo slums.

I would play that game in a heartbeat.

Avatar image for jacobhazard1704
jacobhazard1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 jacobhazard1704
Member since 2004 • 215 Posts

[QUOTE="Sharpie125"]

GummiRaccoon

I disagree. According to Game Informer Assassins creed 3 pre orders were the eigth best selling item at best buy the week it went up for pre sale. It just shows the developers that they don't have to do ANYTHING to get your money. What is the point of pre-ordering anyway? It's not like anyone is going to sell out of a game, like that has ever happened.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="Sharpie125"]

jacobhazard1704

I disagree. According to Game Informer Assassins creed 3 pre orders were the eigth best selling item at best buy the week it went up for pre sale. It just shows the developers that they don't have to do ANYTHING to get your money. What is the point of pre-ordering anyway? It's not like anyone is going to sell out of a game, like that has ever happened.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but they have indeed run out of game boxes.

And how is it that you are disagreeing with my premise that preorders are fine as long as they don't mess with MP? And I couldn't care less about assasins creed, so I never played it, did it have MP?

jacobhazard1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jacobhazard1704

[QUOTE="jacobhazard1704"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but they have indeed run out of game boxes.

And how is it that you are disagreeing with my premise that preorders are fine as long as they don't mess with MP? And I couldn't care less about assasins creed, so I never played it, did it have MP?

I have NEVER tried to buy a game and not had a copy available. What I'm saying is that Assassins Creed 3 was JUST ANNOUNCED, how are people pre ordering this already? It's showing the developers that it doesn't matter what they do with a game, they still have a vast majority of the players money that intend to buy the game. I'm saying the pre-order model is dumb, unneccesary, and incentives like these make people buy a game before they know if it's going to be good or not.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

Color crystals, titles, hats are all one thing, but this is another story, if the higher damage perk is exclusive to the pre-order bonus then this is not a cool move at all.

But like others have said it may be an unlockable later on in the game, that is just already unlocked for pre-order players.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

jacobhazard1704

I have NEVER tried to buy a game and not had a copy available. What I'm saying is that Assassins Creed 3 was JUST ANNOUNCED, how are people pre ordering this already? It's showing the developers that it doesn't matter what they do with a game, they still have a vast majority of the players money that intend to buy the game. I'm saying the pre-order model is dumb, unneccesary, and incentives like these make people buy a game before they know if it's going to be good or not.

Then you must be new to gaming. Games historically have sold out quite often.

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

jacobhazard1704

I have worked at EB Games so I can say that the store I worked at has run out of certain games a few times but I willl say it is rare. The funny thing is it wasn't big releases like COD that we ran out of.

jhalter1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jhalter1
Member since 2011 • 302 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

jacobhazard1704

NO! You know as well as I do that rationality doesn't belong in these forums! Ignore all the statistics and please keep giving us these totally ridiculous pre-order bonuses Rockstar! I love having a reason to buy games used.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Glad I don't play Max Payne for the mulitplayer. SP all the way, and only SP.
jacobhazard1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jacobhazard1704

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

link? I read reviews and player opinions before buying a game, who comits that early? It's a market filled with developers that want you to buy games before they are released. Amazon, Gamestop, BestBuy, Steam, Origin, they all have pre order bonuses.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

jacobhazard1704

link? I read reviews and player opinions before buying a game, who comits that early? It's a market filled with developers that want you to buy games before they are released. Amazon, Gamestop, BestBuy, Steam, Origin, they all have pre order bonuses.

How about mine and every long time gamers experience? I've personally tried to buy a few games that I had to go to several stores to actually find a copy, like warcraft III diablo 2, half life, doom3...

there was a time I did preorders and then I just switched to digital distribution, can't run out of dd games

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Maybe its a perk you unlock later by playing the game? That is really dumb. Good thing I'm not planning on doing much multiplayer

with_teeth26
That'd be my guess. Surely they wouldn't think giving one group of customers a permanent advantage would be a good thing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

How about mine and every long time gamers experience? I've personally tried to buy a few games that I had to go to several stores to actually find a copy, like warcraft III diablo 2, half life, doom3...

there was a time I did preorders and then I just switched to digital distribution, can't run out of dd games

I am a long time gamer. I counter your argument. I've never gone to the local stores to buy any game ever and had it sold out.
jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts

What an awful AWFUL idea i hope this is not a new trend. Who on earth thought this was a good idea it just alienates people who wont buy the limited edition version. Lost a potential customer here to be honest.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts
This is a pretty lame little "gift" for the pre-orders. Not cool, but I'm sure it's an effect that can eventually be gained through multiplayer. I would never have bought this game for multiplayer anyways but still, not very cool.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Multiplayer is the last thing I'm getting Max Payne 3 for.
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts
[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

guynamedbilly

I am a long time gamer. I counter your argument. I've never gone to the local stores to buy any game ever and had it sold out.

Who would have thought people would have different experiences in life... what a shocking discovery... I wouldn't have gotten Halo 2 day one had I not pre-ordered it. Of course that was the best pre-order since I got the limited edition at no extra cost by doing so. You also need to be buying certain games.
geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts

What an incredibly stupid idea!

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I never really played the Max Payne games, but if this is how Rockstar is going to start treating it's multiplayer... I cringe thinking of something similar for GTA V. :(

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

guynamedbilly

The last 3 years doesn't count as being long time.

25+ years reporting in.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"][QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

25+ years reporting in.

Well, considering I'm 27 and have been playing since I was five or so... It's BS that you need to preorder. Maybe for some people that don't have stores nearby, but not normally.
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

One of the worst ideas ever. Pre-order so we can give you a totally unfair advantage over other players. WTF is wrong with these companies?

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"] I am a long time gamer. I counter your argument. I've never gone to the local stores to buy any game ever and had it sold out.guynamedbilly

25+ years reporting in.

Well, considering I'm 27 and have been playing since I was five or so... It's BS that you need to preorder. Maybe for some people that don't have stores nearby, but not normally.

I think you just don't buy games day 1 then. Or you are full of sh!t

jacobhazard1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jacobhazard1704

[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"][QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

25+ years reporting in.

GummiRaccoon

I have bought many games day one, and I think that they are less likely to sell out being a new game than a game that is 5+ years old. It might also have to do with where you live. Higher populated cities would have less local retailers and more consumers, but overall the idea of selling out of software baffles me, I have never heard of that. The only thing I ever see selling out is hardware (think of every major console launch)

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

They probably thought "Hey, we already crapped on our franchise by introducing multiplayer to get some extra money, so why don't we crap some more and get... some more extra money."

dav2693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dav2693
Member since 2010 • 423 Posts

They probably thought "Hey, we already crapped on our franchise by introducing multiplayer to get some extra money, so why don't we crap some more and get... some more extra money."

PfizersaurusRex

Sad but true :(

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"] Well, considering I'm 27 and have been playing since I was five or so... It's BS that you need to preorder. Maybe for some people that don't have stores nearby, but not normally.jacobhazard1704

I have bought many games day one, and I think that they are less likely to sell out being a new game than a game that is 5+ years old. It might also have to do with where you live. Higher populated cities would have less local retailers and more consumers, but overall the idea of selling out of software baffles me, I have never heard of that. The only thing I ever see selling out is hardware (think of every major console launch)

I'm from San Jose. If we get games emptying on shelves here, no matter what city you are in, it can happen there too.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

Most likely the mp will be p2p which means cheatfest anyway.