Massive Star Citizen Arena Commander Update

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14258-Arena-Commander-092-Released

The big highlights are a heavily revised flight control model that predictively deadens input for fine tune adjustment to prevent you from overshooting or overcorrecting. If you've played any of the previous versions of SC this is probably something you've encountered quite a bit, but the control is much smoother now.

They also revised the HUD significantly -and- if you use any sort of headtracking device like an Oculus or TrackIR, they added a toggle that allows you to lock gimballed guns to only fire directly forward.

-Byshop

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Byshop said:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14258-Arena-Commander-092-Released

The big highlights are a heavily revised flight control model that predictively deadens input for fine tune adjustment to prevent you from overshooting or overcorrecting. If you've played any of the previous versions of SC this is probably something you've encountered quite a bit, but the control is much smoother now.

They also revised the HUD significantly -and- if you use any sort of headtracking device like an Oculus or TrackIR, they added a toggle that allows you to lock gimballed guns to only fire directly forward.

-Byshop

Is there like a scheduled release date for this game or are we going to have another DayZ?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

Is there like a scheduled release date for this game or are we going to have another DayZ?

the game has parts, what part are you speaking about? Campaign? Open Universe? Structured competitive games?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

the game has parts, what part are you speaking about? Campaign? Open Universe? Structured competitive games?

Final game? I guess it doesn't work like that.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

the only part of the game that will be considered "final" is the campaign which comes out late 2015. The development of star citizen is going to blend to 2015-2016.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

The game felip is coming in stages..Next will be fps mode..1.0 than they will bring in two player seater ships..They just made bigger maps, games vastly improved..Plus its not f2p have to add that in every post..People here think it is but its not..You can buy the game an earn in game uee money..You dont need to buy ships to play this game..Lets get that across there some here that think its f2p nope..Some of us bought ships yes but you dont need to in quotes there..Play elite dangerous its the same thing..Earn in game creds purchase the ships you want..Both games are fun an great..The space genre is back baby with a vengeance

gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

@jimmy_russell said:

Pay to win game.

You know why nobody takes your comments seriously? You complain about EVERY game jesus christ.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Byshop  Moderator

@gunmaster55555 said:

@jimmy_russell said:

Pay to win game.

You know why nobody takes your comments seriously? You complain about EVERY game jesus christ.

This. I posted a video of five waves of Vandul Swarm in my Youtube channel. I'll add it to my blog when it finishes uploading if anyone wants to see it.

-Byshop

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wis3boi
@FelipeInside said:

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

No final game, it's meant to last 10+ years. FPS module early 2015, mid to later 2015 chapter 1 of the campaign (15hrs ish of content), late 2015 possible first module of the open persistent galaxy, and building from there.

If you wanna be technical, the game is already 'out' since you can buy and play right now

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside

@wis3boi said:
@FelipeInside said:

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Byshop said:

If you wanna be technical, the game is already 'out' since you can buy and play right now

But is there anything to do right now in the universe?

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gladestone1

@gunmaster55555:

No it isnt an ill defend this till the game is released..Learn about it before talking an saying its f2p

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#13  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

@jimmy_russell said:

Pay to win game.

^

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Byshop  Moderator

@FelipeInside said:

No, right now the game doesn't have the persistent universe yet. It's just basically "skirmishes" of free flight in a fixed map, single player against AI waves, multiplayer co-op against AI waves, multiplayer player versus player, CTF, and racing modes.

-Byshop

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wis3boi

@Old_Gooseberry said:

@jimmy_russell said:

Pay to win game.

^

stop trolling and/or spreading misinformation

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gladestone1

Good to see the two old timers on the forum like myself are into star citizen..Bish an wiz you guys rock )

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#17 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@lawlessx said:

@FelipeInside said:

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

the only part of the game that will be considered "final" is the campaign which comes out late 2015. The development of star citizen is going to blend to 2015-2016.

nice way of saying the game will be in development hell for years....

meanwhile elite dangerous is going to be just as amazing and is not far off from release.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@cyloninside said:

@lawlessx said:

@FelipeInside said:

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

nice way of saying the game will be in development hell for years....

meanwhile elite dangerous is going to be just as amazing and is not far off from release.

Elite: Dangerous is an un-ambitious snoozefest in comparison. I cant believe I put down £50 for it.... nevermind its boring slow paced atmospheric "can barely yaw" nonsense it calls dogfighting.... and all those hype videos of people saying how complex its landing is.... I have yet to crash.... you have to be a total idiot to even crash on it.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't further on in developement, randomly generated, very generic.... now up to 5 ships so close to release? no FPS or interior "for another year" ..... the only thing its further along in is the persistant universe aspect.... which it decided to focus on.

Where is the development hell exactly? 1.0 AC is around the corner. FPS/Planetside/social to come "very soon after" ... thats the core gameplay sorted right there. then chapter 1 (15-20 hours campaign) then the PU alpha at the end of the year. (other things inbetween like multi crew ships) ...

Elite Dangerous is a smaller scale project that decided to churn out the PU element alot faster.... but then making the players wait a year+ for the features SC has already in development... and to make it worse, unless you was an earlier backer you will have to pay for these features as expansions!

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

I'm Looking forward to Star Citizen. I'm not going to play it until the campaign's released; playing anything in bite sized chunks will nullify the intended experience. Not sure why there's people siding so much on ED or SC, I'm just glad there's some life back in a sparse genre. I will say I'm more excited for Star Citizen. I think that the campaign will inject a lot of lore and personality into the Universe of which ED doesn't seem to have right now. SC also seems to have quite a large team all working on different parts of the game e.g. the FPS. So I think in the long run SC will become the more complete game over time.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@wis3boi said:
@FelipeInside said:

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Byshop said:

Arena Commander?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Byshop  Moderator

@Gladestone1: Thank you. I have high hopes for both games and I enjoy making videos for both.

@MBirdy88 said:

Elite: Dangerous is an un-ambitious snoozefest in comparison. I cant believe I put down £50 for it.... nevermind its boring slow paced atmospheric "can barely yaw" nonsense it calls dogfighting.... and all those hype videos of people saying how complex its landing is.... I have yet to crash.... you have to be a total idiot to even crash on it.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't further on in developement, randomly generated, very generic.... now up to 5 ships so close to release? no FPS or interior "for another year" ..... the only thing its further along in is the persistant universe aspect.... which it decided to focus on.

Where is the development hell exactly? 1.0 AC is around the corner. FPS/Planetside/social to come "very soon after" ... thats the core gameplay sorted right there. then chapter 1 (15-20 hours campaign) then the PU alpha at the end of the year. (other things inbetween like multi crew ships) ...

Elite Dangerous is a smaller scale project that decided to churn out the PU element alot faster.... but then making the players wait a year+ for the features SC has already in development... and to make it worse, unless you was an earlier backer you will have to pay for these features as expansions!

Not to let pesky "facts" get in the way, but Elite's got 11 of the final 25 ships playable now and has had more ships than you claim since like July. The current beta has a 2400 solar system PU, 11 ships, mining and mineral refinement, trading with dynamic economy, piracy and various pirate support equipment, bounty hunting, NPC generated missions, voice and text communication in game, full MMO multiplayer, and a shitton of equipment like interdiction tethers (pull NPCs and players out of fast travel), and a pretty detailed "outfitting" system for customizing your ship based on factors like weight, power consumption, jump range, heat generation, etc. Honestly it reminds me of Mechwarrior in how much you can fit into a ship, and when people argue that SC will be pay to win, it's direct counterpart is one of the biggest examples of why this probably won't be true because what ship you have in Elite is only a small part of the equation. You can buy a 200k ship and spend 100k on equipment or you can spend 5 million equipping the same ship. The game is damned near complete in its current state.

That said, I like SC's graphics and flight model much better. It's fast and exciting and very well polished, but there are only so many times you can spend doing Arena combat or racing before it gets boring. I am dying to see the full SC, but it's still potentially years away. Even the FPS module which is targeted for "early next year" could be 4-5 months off.

But yes, ED is a smaller scale project in spite of it's larger in-game explorable scale. The point is it's more of a sim, and that appeals to a lot of people. However, neither game appeals to enough people that any major studio would have funded either, so hoo-ray for KS.

@cyborg100000 said:

I'm Looking forward to Star Citizen. I'm not going to play it until the campaign's released; playing anything in bite sized chunks will nullify the intended experience. Not sure why there's people siding so much on ED or SC, I'm just glad there's some life back in a sparse genre. I will say I'm more excited for Star Citizen. I think that the campaign will inject a lot of lore and personality into the Universe of which ED doesn't seem to have right now. SC also seems to have quite a large team all working on different parts of the game e.g. the FPS. So I think in the long run SC will become the more complete game over time.

Yes, in a genre of gaming that has been pretty much vacant for like a decade, I agree that there's room for -two- big budget games in the current market. I'm a big fan of storylines, which is the only thing that Elite really lacks and is one of the reasons I never got around to the original Elite games while I was playing Space Rogue, Wing Commander 1 through 5, Privateer 1 and 2, Freelancer, Tachyon, X series, etc.

@airshocker: Yeah, AC is really cool but I yearn for more. Skirmishes over and over get boring after a while, no matter how good the space combat and piloting is. It's nice to feel like you are making progress.

-Byshop