Mass Effect 1 or 2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sky_rend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sky_rend
Member since 2005 • 207 Posts

Looking into Mass Effect. Should I play the first game or can I just jump right into the second one and enjoy it? Did playing the first one make the playthrough of the second one more enjoyable? Nothing specific please, just suggestions are fine.

Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Remmib
Member since 2010 • 2250 Posts
Play the first. You will not regret it, and you will thank me later.
teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

ME2 is overall a better game; but since both the story of and many NPCs in ME2 are carried over from ME...it'd be better if you've played ME first.

TheMistique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheMistique
Member since 2008 • 1421 Posts
playing me1 makes me2 more enjoyable but is not required.
Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

Play ME1 first.It will make ME2 MUCH more interesting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#6 avatarcj
Member since 2008 • 105 Posts

If 2 games have the same main character , than you should play the first one first .

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

If a game has the same main character , than you should play the first one first .

This rule is not always true. Even if a game has a different protagonist in it's sequel,it can still have references to the 1st game.
takeiteazy3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 takeiteazy3
Member since 2008 • 743 Posts
Play Both Mass Effect 1 and then 2. they are both awsome games but imo you wont enjoy ME2 without the first.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Imo you shouldn't even be allowed to buy 2 if you don't have the save game to prove that you finished 1, that's how important ME 1 is if you actually care about the story and this game is all about the story besides killing.
sky_rend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sky_rend

If 2 games have the same main character , than you should play the first one first .

I was trying to think of a negative for this statement, but I can't. ME1 it is.
Mist3rBungle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mist3rBungle
Member since 2010 • 66 Posts

I enjoyed the main storyline of the first game more, although the sequel's gameplay was much better.

takeiteazy3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 takeiteazy3
Member since 2008 • 743 Posts

I enjoyed the main storyline of the first game more, although the sequel's gameplay was much better.

Mist3rBungle
I have to agree with this.
tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

both its on sale at d2d

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#14 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

Imo you shouldn't even be allowed to buy 2 if you don't have the save game to prove that you finished 1, that's how important ME 1 is if you actually care about the story and this game is all about the story besides killing.DanielDust

Is that save file actually that important? I played ME right when it came up, and never kept the save file after uninstalling. :/ No matter though, there were only a couple big decisions, so finding a suitable save file online won't be hard.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#15 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

both its on sale at d2d

tutt3r
This. $35 for both makes it an easy choice.
teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

ME's story, including those so-called crucial decisions, is only grammar school quality compared to that of Torment, and so ME's save isn't a big deal at all for me.

I think the OP should play ME first only because ME2 contiunes the storyline and also keeps some important NPCs invloved.

sky_rend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sky_rend

both its on sale at d2d

tutt3r
Wow, good find.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DanielDust

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]Imo you shouldn't even be allowed to buy 2 if you don't have the save game to prove that you finished 1, that's how important ME 1 is if you actually care about the story and this game is all about the story besides killing.True_Sounds

Is that save file actually that important? I played ME right when it came up, and never kept the save file after uninstalling. :/ No matter though, there were only a couple big decisions, so finding a suitable save file online won't be hard.

It depends, it could be important if you want to save your choices but I considered it as proof of finishing the game. A lot of things are familiar and some things are clarified in the 2nd game, even if you'd read the story it would still be far from the actual experience. Oh and BTW, DO NOT play any side missions, in ME 1 those are extremely boring and generic, but they are decent/great in ME 2.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#19 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I'm one of the few people that liked the original Mass Effect better than the second, although i do recognize that the second is better than the first (i know that sounds insane).

I just liked the story line and atmosphere of ME 1, it was all so fresh and exciting, while in ME 2 there weren't too many big surprises.

Both are awesome games though, well worth playing.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#20 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

[QUOTE="True_Sounds"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]Imo you shouldn't even be allowed to buy 2 if you don't have the save game to prove that you finished 1, that's how important ME 1 is if you actually care about the story and this game is all about the story besides killing.DanielDust

It depends, it could be important if you want to save your choices but I considered it as proof of finishing the game. A lot of things are familiar and some things are clarified in the 2nd game, even if you'd read the story it would still be far from the actual experience. Oh and BTW, DO NOT play any side missions, in ME 1 those are extremely boring and generic, but they are decent/great in ME 2.

True, aside from like 1 side quest planet, they were all pointless marking minerals missions.

Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 Raxzor
Member since 2003 • 5399 Posts

You have to play both games and in order.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I have both games, and I'm glad that I do.

Yes, you can choose to run ME2 as a straight-up game; however, it will run as a true trilogy when you import a completed saved game from ME1.

Gamespot ran a news article a while back, where Bioware explained how ME2 checks for literally hundreds of things from an imported ME1 saved game.

The same will hold true when ME3 is released: one of the loading screens in ME2 says to keep your game saves for ME3 (then they add, "If you survive").:lol:

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Definitely play the first game before the second.
gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#24 gbrading
Member since 2005 • 8085 Posts

Play the first and then play the second. The continuity of plot and characters make the second game much more enjoyable when you understand how the plot is unfolding. On PC, both games are excellent; the first is more action-RPG, the second is a more of a pure plot-driven shooter.

morrowindnic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 morrowindnic
Member since 2004 • 1541 Posts

Get Mass Effect 1 first. You would be missing out on so much if you didn't.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts
you can jump into ME2 but you definately wont get as much out of it. there will be just references to stuff in the first game which you will just have to take as is. i just got ME1 there for the PC to have a major ME session :D. of course the worst thing you can do is play ME1 on one platform and ME2 on the other. so many continuity issues....that was bloody daft of me :P. so ive pretty much disregarded my first play through of ME2. but yeah....really do get both. itll make for a much better experience.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
To be honest i got tired of this whole "play the first one first" so i would just say , got for the better game.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts

To be honest i got tired of this whole "play the first one first" so i would just say , got for the better game.dakan45
Mass Effect is incredibly focused on the story. Playing the first game first, and having the consequences of your actions carry over to the second game is definitely the way to go.
If the games weren't so story-focused, or if it was only a sequel in name (COD and COD2 for example), I'd understand why you're saying what you are.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DanielDust
To be honest i got tired of this whole "play the first one first" so i would just say , got for the better game.dakan45
So...wait, now you're saying that ME 2 is better than 1? you lost me, weren't you the guy that didn't like ME 1 and hated 2 saying that it's far worse than the first game? Dakan being Dakan, left is left today but tomorrow it might be...plane.
rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
You should get the first one...
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"]To be honest i got tired of this whole "play the first one first" so i would just say , got for the better game.DanielDust
So...wait, now you're saying that ME 2 is better than 1? you lost me, weren't you the guy that didn't like ME 1 and hated 2 saying that it's far worse than the first game? Dakan being Dakan, left is left today but tomorrow it might be...plane.

:roll: Sometimes i wonder why i even bother..... why should i even freaking bother with you guys? If you are not reading what i am saying and you are just making assumptions there is no point of replying, so please dont reply and make such flamming baits.

What i said is that he first is borring as hell and with poor mechanics and very simplistic, what i said is that i played the second on and xbox 360 and it was better than the previous, especially the combat, but still i didnt like it enough to bother any further.

Now from where the hell did you pull the "hated the second"..... perhaps you should check your memory becaus i said i hated the first and not he second. :(

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"]To be honest i got tired of this whole "play the first one first" so i would just say , got for the better game.Doom_HellKnight

Mass Effect is incredibly focused on the story. Playing the first game first, and having the consequences of your actions carry over to the second game is definitely the way to go.
If the games weren't so story-focused, or if it was only a sequel in name (COD and COD2 for example), I'd understand why you're saying what you are.

Ok, so you want me to say i am wrong? Yes i am wrong and my suggestion is false, but i stil can make a diffirent suggestion from the rest of the thread and playing the first is not mandatory since bioware designed a way so you wont have to play the first to make those choices.

Zcrimson07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Zcrimson07
Member since 2004 • 3493 Posts
as with most ppl i think playin ME1 will make ME2 wayyy better but if ya can only do one do ME2 its just so much more polished (and i played ME1 like 4 times so it's not bad)
kazakauskas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kazakauskas
Member since 2008 • 1332 Posts

as with most ppl i think playin ME1 will make ME2 wayyy better but if ya can only do one do ME2 its just so much more polished (and i played ME1 like 4 times so it's not bad)Zcrimson07

Eh... I think im alone thinking that ME1 is better game :(

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
Play ME1 first. Its still a current gen game and hasnt aged at all really... and the actions from the first game carry over with a save file into the 2nd game. Also there are quite a few plot points in ME2 you just simply wont understand or care for because you wont know what happened before.
Snake3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 Snake3232
Member since 2005 • 735 Posts
Is there any new customization in Mass Effect 2? If so would I be able to edit my ME1 Character in ME2
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dakan45
[QUOTE="Snake3232"]Is there any new customization in Mass Effect 2? If so would I be able to edit my ME1 Character in ME2

Dont bother, you cant even take the damn helmet off :P
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DanielDust

[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="dakan45"]To be honest i got tired of this whole "play the first one first" so i would just say , got for the better game.dakan45

:roll: Sometimes i wonder why i even bother..... why should i even freaking bother with you guys? If you are not reading what i am saying and you are just making assumptions there is no point of replying, so please dont reply and make such flamming baits.

What i said is that he first is borring as hell and with poor mechanics and very simplistic, what i said is that i played the second on and xbox 360 and it was better than the previous, especially the combat, but still i didnt like it enough to bother any further.

Now from where the hell did you pull the "hated the second"..... perhaps you should check your memory becaus i said i hated the first and not he second. :(

No, no , no dear Dakan, I remember very well and I prefer not to think of you as having problems like you're implying ;) but here's the catch at that time you were mindlessly assuming that the game is trash and it's far worse than the first, of course you had no idea about the game, you never even touched it for a single minute, but after you played it you were like "oh yeah...it's better, but I really don't care about the game".

You were extremely set on the idea of ME 2 sucking before ever playing it so I will use that as your initial and final statement because you tried so hard to defend it, you trolled, you spammed, you insulted people for that opinion and thus it's only natural that you'd stay with that opinion till the end, but of course if you admit that you were wrong and you were making facts out of your behind it could change (see how you started again with the awesome word called "assumption"? that's exactly how you started to troll away when people dismissed your opinion because you never played the game, so drop it, you know very well what you said, how you said it and when you said it).

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dakan45

Another false assumption.

What happen is this:

I read the first reviews, i was dissapointed that they were not very informative, then i learned of many dissapointing facts such as that they took out the borring sidemissions and the inventory, seriously why the hell did they took out the inventory in an rpg?

Here is where you made the assumption that i "hated" the game because of my negative comments but all i did was complain for the extra simplification they added and the unessarary removals they made.

Then i played the game and while i said its better than the first, thats about it, its nothing noteworthy to change my mind. If i have played the second first, i might had a more positive opinion on the series, however its not good enough to put myself through another mass effect game.

Thats what i said and thats all there is to it i never once called mass effect 2 a trash game. that was your false assumption ;) My awesome word actually has a right basis when its used.

There you go, you were wrong again with another false assumption. Perhaps if you bother to ask my stating on the game instead of making assumptions we would have less of those trully unessesary arguments.

However it is proven that no matter if i say something or not, people just assume what they want. So i wont even bother any further. Thats my stating on mass effect and thats what i said, everything else is incorrect and false.

If that was so hard for you to understand or you once again dont bother to read my post but make assumptions without reading, then let me sum it up for you, i dislike all those features they remove, especially the inventory, however the combat is clearly better, the dialogues and the level design is a bit better, therefore its better than the first as a game but thats about it, no need to bother further. Besides mass effect seemed good in the begining but after a while it did not really evolve or get more interesting, quite the opposite. Therefore i will keep my distance from mass effect 2 and simply say that as far as i have played it, it fetl better than the first, now if it sucks later on, or if it gets borring, that i dont know, what i do know is that it felt better than the first as far as i played and i cant comment how much borring it will get later or how much "trash" does it get or how much better does it get.

....and NO, i am not gonna get tricked into buying it with the excuse "give it a chance"

kazakauskas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kazakauskas
Member since 2008 • 1332 Posts

[QUOTE="Snake3232"]Is there any new customization in Mass Effect 2? If so would I be able to edit my ME1 Character in ME2dakan45

Stop posting nonsense dakan ....

Yes you can edit your ME1 character before you begin ME2 :)

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
Another false assumption. dakan45
Have you not noticed that a great deal of people do this? When you have many people doing this it is not them it is more than likely you. You seem to never post how you trully feel, yet you seem to bait people into arguments so you can say that they are flaming you.
gashoe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#44 gashoe13
Member since 2007 • 511 Posts

I played 2 first, and then 1, but regretted it heavily. DEFINITELY PLAY 1 FIRST YOU WON'T REGRET IT

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"][QUOTE="Snake3232"]Is there any new customization in Mass Effect 2? If so would I be able to edit my ME1 Character in ME2kazakauskas

Stop posting nonsense dakan ....

Yes you can edit your ME1 character before you begin ME2 :)

Nonsense? Last time i checked you couldnt take your helmet off in ME2 on the x360, can you take it off on the pc? I want to take the helmet off but i cant. Also whats with the you can edit your ME1 character befoe you bein ME2? I know that, but you cant take the helmet off, so whats the point? For most of the game you are talking with a helmet on, i hated that.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dakan45
[QUOTE="dakan45"] Another false assumption. millerlight89
Have you not noticed that a great deal of people do this? When you have many people doing this it is not them it is more than likely you. You seem to never post how you trully feel, yet you seem to bait people into arguments so you can say that they are flaming you.

Nope, few people are doing this, so far i counted only 3 and those who do it either simply dont understand,whats why i say its a false assumption and i explain myself and i say how i feel, it seems that when i do they either make another false assumption like they didnt understand and it feels like they are flaming, or realze that their assumption was wrong and keep it down. Not even once i saw someone asking me to tell him how i feel about a game, they just asume things. Not even once i saw someone to actually say "i thought you..." they say "you did..." when i actually ask how they feel about a game and i say "i was under the impression that..." Trully if people asked each other what they feel about a game we would have less false assumptions that some specific users are haters of a specific game, i think that if we really ask each other whats our opinion on a game, we will have a much better understanding of each other tastes instead of assume things all the time. For example once i was labeled that i like dumbed down games, but then i showed that i actually like all old pc masterpieces but i just dont like the new ones. If we had a more detailed understanding there wouldnt be any need for labels like that.
scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#47 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

2 is better, but 1 is still good and really should be played first.