Many people playing wildstar?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

After googling to find what is the most popular server and joining it, after many hours of playing, 2 people have seen. By comparison, 5 minutes in FF:RR you see around 20 people in the wilderness.

Is this game not very popular?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

After googling to find what is the most popular server and joining it, after many hours of playing, 2 people have seen. By comparison, 5 minutes in FF:RR you see around 20 people in the wilderness.

Is this game not very popular?

A friend of mine plays it and he says it's very populated on his server.

Maybe everyone has moved on from the starting areas?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Going by the mmorpg.com boards, people seem to be quitting in droves. Still healthy overall, but it is declining nonetheless.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 uninspiredcup

Yea, i'v seen many people shit talking it. Particularly the art style, which is bizarre. Visually, it's one of the most colorful and fun games i'v seen in quite a while.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside

@Maroxad said:

Going by the mmorpg.com boards, people seem to be quitting in droves. Still healthy overall, but it is declining nonetheless.

@uninspiredcup said:

Yea, i'v seen many people shit talking it. Particularly the art style, which is bizarre. Visually, it's one of the most colorful and fun games i'v seen in quite a while.

Weird cause the game has a lot going for it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 uninspiredcup

Whats with all the Firefall spam on the forum? In the AVP 2000 thread (a game 14 fucking years old) half the thread is spam posts about Firefall. It's making me not want to play it at all.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside

@uninspiredcup said:

Whats with all the Firefall spam on the forum? In the AVP 2000 thread (a game 14 fucking years old) half the thread is spam posts about Firefall. It's making me not want to play it at all.

It's these bloody bots or whatever new posters spamming all the threads with Firefall. They really must be desperate for players.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 uninspiredcup

As much as I liked the combat and large open (incredibly beautifully crafted) area's, the lack of story-telling just makes me loose interest super fast. The game is basically designed for little dickheads to clickspam past to get to end level content to get gear nobody gives a shit about. **** that, rather play Realm Reborn which attempts to give story-telling no matter how mundane the quest.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@Maroxad said:

mmorpg boards are probably the most vile boards in the gaming world. it is literally nothing but trolls.

the game is healthy... its just most people are no longer in the starting zones. go to the starting zones in WoW.... i bet you see no more than 1 or 2 people as well.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Maroxad

@cyloninside said:

@Maroxad said:

mmorpg boards are probably the most vile boards in the gaming world. it is literally nothing but trolls.

the game is healthy... its just most people are no longer in the starting zones. go to the starting zones in WoW.... i bet you see no more than 1 or 2 people as well.

When half the discussion is about depopulation and server merge threads rather than bashing some trivial thing, I am pretty sure that is a good sign that the population isnt doing all that well. Not to mention, there have been Carbine Studios developers talking about the possibility of server merges... this early on it is not a good sign. Neither is this

I have seen a lot of complaining from top guilds as well, you know, who were the target audience for this game.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside

@uninspiredcup said:

As much as I liked the combat and large open (incredibly beautifully crafted) area's, the lack of story-telling just makes me loose interest super fast. The game is basically designed for little dickheads to clickspam past to get to end level content to get gear nobody gives a shit about. **** that, rather play Realm Reborn which attempts to give story-telling no matter how mundane the quest.

That's what put me off it as well, I'm a sucker for immersion and story in an MMO.

Saying that though, Wildstar does have heaps to do and is perfect for the WoW MMO crowd. (stats, gear, etc)

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cyloninside

@Maroxad said:

@cyloninside said:

@Maroxad said:

When half the discussion is about depopulation and server merge threads rather than bashing some trivial thing, I am pretty sure that is a good sign that the population isnt doing all that well. Not to mention, there have been Carbine Studios developers talking about the possibility of server merges... this early on it is not a good sign. Neither is this

I have seen a lot of complaining from top guilds as well, you know, who were the target audience for this game.

nice propaganda picture. stormtalon is only low population in the wee hours of the morning. mid afternoon to evening it is medium to heavy. pergo is the same deal. several others are pretty consistently medium. also, "this early on" is hilarious... the game is in its 3rd month. population decline is normal at this point.

also, server mergers are not a bad thing. every MMO goes through mergers.... some need it a lot sooner than the 3rd month.

wildstar will -never- have a mega population like WoW. it isnt even targeted at a market like that. the game is hard. it drives off casuals. that is exactly what is happening right now. casuals that cant handle the endgame dungeons are leaving. people who can are forming tight knit guilds and are loving the game. people actually in game arent complaining.... people on the forums are, and forum complainers are an extremely vocal ultra-minuscule minority.

again, the MMORPG forums are a total joke. they bash anything and declare games dead within hours of release. its a cancerous community.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Maroxad

@cyloninside said:

nice propaganda picture. stormtalon is only low population in the wee hours of the morning. mid afternoon to evening it is medium to heavy. pergo is the same deal. several others are pretty consistently medium. also, "this early on" is hilarious... the game is in its 3rd month. population decline is normal at this point.

also, server mergers are not a bad thing. every MMO goes through mergers.... some need it a lot sooner than the 3rd month.

wildstar will -never- have a mega population like WoW. it isnt even targeted at a market like that. the game is hard. it drives off casuals. that is exactly what is happening right now. casuals that cant handle the endgame dungeons are leaving. people who can are forming tight knit guilds and are loving the game. people actually in game arent complaining.... people on the forums are, and forum complainers are an extremely vocal ultra-minuscule minority.

again, the MMORPG forums are a total joke. they bash anything and declare games dead within hours of release. its a cancerous community.

Doesnt change the fact that they are driving away the hardcore as well... like I said, there have been plenty of posts from even the top players expressing discontentment. Dont be in denial, the population is currently pretty damn unstable. Guilds are being torn apart, especially once the 40 man requirement comes in.

Carbine Studios not only failed in making a good game, but they also failed in providing the kind of support people would want from it. WildStar attempted to capitalize on WoW's strengths, but forgot what exactly made those strengths good in the first place.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside

@Maroxad said:

@cyloninside said:

Doesnt change the fact that they are driving away the hardcore as well... like I said, there have been plenty of posts from even the top players expressing discontentment. Dont be in denial, the population is currently pretty damn unstable. Guilds are being torn apart, especially once the 40 man requirement comes in.

Carbine Studios not only failed in making a good game, but they also failed in providing the kind of support people would want from it. WildStar attempted to capitalize on WoW's strengths, but forgot what exactly made those strengths good in the first place.

Didn't you said you liked the game Maroxad? Cause it was challenging like the old MMOs used to be? (at higher levels)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By uninspiredcup

From my experience, most hardcore players are complete knob heads.

**** them. They should be ignored.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cyloninside

@Maroxad said:

@cyloninside said:

"Carbine Studios not only failed in making a good game"

lol ok.... so now we know you are just a hater. thanks for making it easy for me to ignore you.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Maroxad

@FelipeInside said:

Didn't you said you liked the game Maroxad? Cause it was challenging like the old MMOs used to be? (at higher levels)

Challenging does not necessarily equate to good though. While I do enjoy my permadeath, 0 forgiveness, where you face enemies that are twice as numerous and twice as strong as your guys. Challenge alone does not make a good game... especially in mmorpgs where it can lead to frustration.

The game was simply put just really subpar.

The overworld was empty and lifeless, the humor was trying too hard to be funny, the writing was bog standard, there was no satisfaction to pulling of any skills unlike WoW where pulling off a nice skill combo or high crits was actually satisfying, the levelling experience was as anti social, and I felt little desire to communicate with anyone else at any point. And while making the game challenging was a noble pursuit, it ultimately just resulted in the whole game being too overdesigned for scrubs and baddies, which was made even worse due to the leveling portion conditioning players into playing badly. Sadly, for far too many of us, we had no choice but to play with people who would stand in the telegraphed attacks despite us telling them over and over to not do it.

In something like one of those games I described above, is not frustrating, because while it sure is a lot more punishing that what little death penalty WildStar had, if you failed, it was your fault. In WildStar on the other hand, you could and would fail and die because half your group doesn't know what those red markings on the floor meant and were far too proud to listen to any advice.

Furthermore game lost what little respect I had for the game when they charged users for an additional month, despite the fact that those very users had unsubscribed.

Edit: And no, it was never as challenging as old mmorpgs were. This game is a walk in the park compared to EverQuest or Final Fantasy XI, where most players would need groups for pretty much anything.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19  Edited By PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

The character naming system fail must have done some damage also.

Using a naming system that crap in 2014 is just lazy.

I posted solutions to it in threads and all the try hards came and tried to defend it, almost all of it was petty ad hominem, the rest I provided solutions.

Then the character reservation post comes up and all those dick riders of the current crap character naming system were panicking like histerical children, worthless hypocrites.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Maroxad

@PinchySkree said:

I posted solutions to it in threads and all the try hards came and tried to defend it, almost all of it was petty ad hominem, the rest I provided solutions.

Then the character reservation post comes up and all those dick riders of the current crap character naming system were panicking like histerical children, worthless hypocrites.

You can't reason with fanboys. If it is not ad hominem attacks, it goes like this...

Cyloninside's last arguement was to call me a hater without refutin any points as well as never providing any evidence for that the game was not in a massive decline. Making me the winner of the arguement. Not to mention having merged servers within the first 2 months would make your mmorpg the laughing stock of the mmo community and now he goes around and claims that it is "normal". Last time I checked, most mmorpgs didnt have server merges until later on. SWTOR did, but that game was called the TORtanic for a reason.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FelipeInside

@Maroxad said:

@PinchySkree said:

You can't reason with fanboys. If it is not ad hominem attacks, it goes like this...

Cyloninside's last arguement was to call me a hater without refutin any points as well as never providing any evidence for that the game was not in a massive decline. Making me the winner of the arguement. Not to mention having merged servers within the first 2 months would make your mmorpg the laughing stock of the mmo community and now he goes around and claims that it is "normal". Last time I checked, most mmorpgs didnt have server merges until later on. SWTOR did, but that game was called the TORtanic for a reason.

Heyyy...don't go insulting my beloved SWTOR :P

Actually, it's doing better now than ever. 3rd biggest MMO after WoW.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Maroxad

@FelipeInside said:

SWTOR is doing well now, but its retention was doing terribly in the first few months. I dont know what BioWare did, but they pulled off a miracle.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I don't know for fact but I understand population has dropped a lot...seems to be a mixed bag on happiness over the game.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cyloninside

@Maroxad said:

@PinchySkree said:

and yet SWTOR is currently 3rd highest revenue of all MMOs in the world.... hmmm.....

i enjoyed your "i didnt provide any proof, but neither did you... so i win the argument". further proof that you are just a hater.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I tried wildstar but all it did was make me want to play wow again after not playing it for a year lol.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FelipeInside

@Maroxad said:

@FelipeInside said:

SWTOR is doing well now, but its retention was doing terribly in the first few months. I dont know what BioWare did, but they pulled off a miracle.

No miracle, they just fixed all the bugs and performance issues at launch and started to add lots more content and listened to player feedback.

The people that leave an MMO straight away are those that race to end-game, finish all the dungeons and then complain there isn't enough content. For people playing like a normal human being, SWTOR had lots of content at launch, but now has even more in both PvP and PvE. They now need to raise the level cap and create a new PvE story arc for the classes, which I believe they are doing in next expansion.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Maroxad

@FelipeInside said:

No miracle, they just fixed all the bugs and performance issues at launch and started to add lots more content and listened to player feedback.

The people that leave an MMO straight away are those that race to end-game, finish all the dungeons and then complain there isn't enough content. For people playing like a normal human being, SWTOR had lots of content at launch, but now has even more in both PvP and PvE. They now need to raise the level cap and create a new PvE story arc for the classes, which I believe they are doing in next expansion.

1. When I say miracle, I mean anything exceptional or amazing. For example, given how crappy the last 2 Mario Karts were, Mario Kart 8 being downright incredible was indeed a miracle.

2. Unfortunately that constitutes to a lot of mmo gamers then, most people tend to hit level cap within the first 2 months, those that didnt dont have a lot of time, or interest.

3. SWTOR had 8 storyline paths, but the endgame was lacking and people were not interested in rerolling for a new storyline, having to go through of a lot of the same content again for some hamfisted writing does not appeal to everyone. Outside of Imperial Agent, the stories were for most of the part inconsistant, bland and/or uninspired.

4. The last thing an mmo dev should do is raise the level cap. Guild Wars hasnt done it yet and is better for it. All they do is raise an artificial number, and waste everyone's time with more boring levelling.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FelipeInside

@Maroxad said:

@FelipeInside said:

4. The last thing an mmo dev should do is raise the level cap. Guild Wars hasnt done it yet and is better for it. All they do is raise an artificial number, and waste everyone's time with more boring levelling.

The players are asking for it, and I agree raising a level cap is just a number. But just do it with a new story class story arc. That way you make everyone happy; those that want a new story for their mains, and those that want to see that XP bar go up again.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#29 Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts
@cyloninside said:

"Carbine Studios not only failed in making a good game"

lol ok.... so now we know you are just a hater. thanks for making it easy for me to ignore you.

I doubt that you can ignore people bashing a game that you like.

You are going to continue to see people bashing WildStar - just like others would see you bashing games that you have disdain for.

youmegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By youmegame
Member since 2015 • 6 Posts

Howdy

I've been itching to work on a part time project for some time and at the same time recently stumbled upon Wildstar - I've been amazed with the community. But after searching for a while, I seemed to find a common theme with players trying to find other players to game together for training or to just hangout.

So I got to work and built a really simple site that I hope can help everyone. It's still behind closed doors but I made a short video to describe it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMBh5367VQI

I'm really just interested in feedback and your suggestions, if you guys think its something that could be useful I'd love to build it out.

Many thanks for your thoughts in advance!

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

There are just too many reasons why Wildstar isn't as successful as it should be. The game at one point financially performed on the same level as City of Heroes prior to it's shutdown. This is per the NCSoft 2014 Financial Result. I think Wildstar has every element to be one of the better F2P games on the market, but we'll see come this Fall.

By the way. SWTOR is doing really well in 2015.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#32  Edited By SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

I liked it a lot actually. I liked the colorful characters and art, I liked the world, I even liked the dopey sci-fi tropes, but I'm not too proud to admit it was way outside my skill ceiling. I don't have the multitasking or situational awareness to monitor multiple resources, cooldowns, remember all my attack fields AND watch all those things on a boss as well. I made it to about level 30 in the beta and had a good times, but it was at that point I was certain that once I got any further in I was going way outside my ability. Which sucks, because it was a pretty decent game. Since launch however, Carbine has made some really asinine decisions both in terms of development and community interaction.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

thread is ancient