Mafia III - PC Gamer Review

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

PC Gamer gave Mafia III 54/100. Ouch! Looks like that initial 30fps cap was the least of the worries.

The Performance Analysis by DSOG is not good either.

Who is playing this game? How bad is it?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Feedback from most gamers is:

- Repetitive missions

- Buggy

+ Great story and acting though

I'll get this game later down the track because I loved part 1 and 2, right now I'm busy with FIFA.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BassMan

@FelipeInside: Sounds like they should have made a movie instead. LOL.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2451 Posts

Thank you, developers and publishers, for continuing to shovel out a lot of mediocre "AAA" titles. You guys are saving me a ton of $$$! :-)

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

"Let me clearly state that Mafia III is very tricky to measure. The overall framerate can be off by an extensive amount depending on what location you are in the city, with denser populated and higher buildings in the city center your framerate will be lower to the level as shown in our benchmark charts. Also variables like the weather and even day/night conditions and the car you drive and yes .. traffic can have an effect on performance. When you drive around at night time (in-game like we do in our test) the performance once again takes another hit. Driving in a car eats away deeper in your framerate opposed to walking inside a building. We use a scene where we drive and where the FPS was worst case scenario. So overall your FPS will likely be a nice notch higher, but you will run into situations where the FPS is close to values as shown above."

So basically game doesn't support CF nore SLI, it runs like crap most of the times while roaming (indoor got 60fps+)

Lowering graphics helps at SOME places by about 20fps.

On the overall games side the game got 7.5 from IGN and I think it's justified score to this game.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#6 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

this is what comes of people complaining there wasn't enough to do in the open world in Mafia II.

also, pretty amazing how this game manages to both look and run worse than the second one

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@PredatorRules: so only a Titan x can get 60fps at 1080p ?

I was playing this at 30fps lock before the patch, when it was patched I switched to 60fps but it's doesn't really get there.

It has highs of 50 lows of about 35.

Is it poor optimized?

Looking at the benches even a 1070 doesn't hold 60fps.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BassMan

@with_teeth26 said:

this is what comes of people complaining there wasn't enough to do in the open world in Mafia II.

also, pretty amazing how this game manages to both look and run worse than the second one

The worst thing is... it is the third game in the series and the game is published by 2K. You would think they have enough experience to get it right. Also, you think there would be an executive producer overlooking the project that would be able to tap into Rockstar for help on ways to improve the game. It is pretty sad.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 with_teeth26

@BassMan said:
@with_teeth26 said:

The worst thing is... it is the third game in the series and the game is published by 2K. You would think there would be an executive producer overlooking the project and being able to tap into Rockstar for help on ways to improve the game. It is pretty sad.

yea I think 2k are at least partially to blame for this, repetitive stuff aside this game could have greatly benefited from a delay into early 2017 to at least get it running well and have some of the bugs sorted. It feels like the devs put a lot of effort into some aspects but had to rush to get the thing out the door and cut corners with little to no QA

this could have been something special if a better game was built around the story and setting

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GeryGo  Moderator

@thehig1 said:

I was playing this at 30fps lock before the patch, when it was patched I switched to 60fps but it's doesn't really get there.

Is it poor optimized?

You can lower the graphics to low with GTX1070 to get solid 60fps.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BassMan

@PredatorRules said:
@thehig1 said:

Is it poor optimized?

Think about what you are saying my friend. GTX 1070 and low graphics... c'mon man. The optimization is shit.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside

@BassMan said:

Think about what you are saying my friend. GTX 1070 and low graphics... c'mon man. The optimization is shit.

I'm a patient man, but to be honest I'm getting over these PC ports that come out un-optimized so badly.

I can't talk about Mafia 3 from a personal perspective yet since I don't own the game but from general player feedback lots of gamers are having issues with it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

This is what I was afraid of; another game of "epic cool moments" but little to no substance.

We want games, not movies.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@BassMan said:
@PredatorRules said:
@thehig1 said:

Is it poor optimized?

I know, it's either wait for another patch (if there will be another at all) or play properly. besides, lowering graphics only hits the graphic effects - textures and AA doesn't get impact at all - believe me - I tried this before saying lowering graphics is worthy.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

rockstar and 2k are owned by the same company, hangar 13 should have just asked rockstar for their rage engine and technical expertise instead of building a new proprietary engine.

I understand that 2k created a new studio but the benefits of using the same game engine across studios an multiple games is that with each game release its easier to figure out what the potential issues are from both the ip and driver side fix them and make improvements for future titles and hardware. if done work is done properly that makes life easier for hardware companies and studios and games better for gamers.

if they didn't want to use the rage engine, then change the concept of making mafia 3 open world and gta like, reboot the series and use cryengine or unreal. both engines have great support and documentation.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FelipeInside
Loading Video...

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

You don't really even need to read reviews for this game.

The fact they released an action open world game on PC that was hard capped to 30fps in the year 2016, pretty much sums up the quality of the game.

GTA 3 was never capped at 30 fps on PC and that game was one of Rockstars first ports to PC and yet it was stable.... and that was over 14 years ago. There is no excuse for a buggy game like this to come out in 2016. I've heard this game crashes even on the consoles.

I played Mafia 2 and it was not bad. I don't remember it being frame capped, and I don't think it ever crashed either. So I don't understand how a sequel with so much development time can be so much worse than the second game.

metacritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 metacritical
Member since 2008 • 2537 Posts

GTA 3 was capped at 30, you could disable the frame limiter but gameplay was pretty much broken if you did.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mrbojangles25

@FelipeInside: you know if it wasn't for the race of the protagonist I'd say it was the same game from the same year using the same game engine lol.

Anyway, WTF does AAA even mean these days? "Hey let's throw lot's of money at it and tell people they should buy it"?

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 with_teeth26

@mrbojangles25 said:

@FelipeInside: you know if it wasn't for the race of the protagonist I'd say it was the same game from the same year using the same game engine lol.

Anyway, WTF does AAA even mean these days? "Hey let's throw lot's of money at it and tell people they should buy it"?

difference is that Mafia 2 ran a lot better

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FelipeInside

@with_teeth26 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Ran better, with less bugs and had lots more tiny features.

I'll still play Mafia 3 when it goes on sale because I like the setting and story but it's such a shame since part 1 and 2 were great so was expecting 3 to really shine.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mrbojangles25

@FelipeInside said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Ran better, with less bugs and had lots more tiny features.

I'll still play Mafia 3 when it goes on sale because I like the setting and story but it's such a shame since part 1 and 2 were great so was expecting 3 to really shine.

yeah. not enough games take place in the south.

I've never been but there's this siren call to the south for me. My entire dad's side of the family is from that side of the country. lol that's probably why i've never been, guy fled his family lol..."rednecks" he calls them. He does pine for the food, though