Mafia 2 - The little things.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

#1 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

Anybody else being surprised by the demo where you think you've played the whole thing and know all the features until you recently find out about that there's more? Just now I recently realised that was a car wash right at the petrol station. Nothing great about it but hey, I really thought I've discovered all the things you can do in the game. Also after I rob a store, I notice that once my gun doesn't point to the clerk, they pick up the phone and call the cops.

One last thing I also discovered was the shoe polisher.

Man, this demo really gives you a good kick. I really hope the full version will have tons and tons of things you can do on the side i.e the little things which in my opinion are quite important in a sandbox and are really enjoyable and feel somewhat role-playing rather than driving around a nothing-to-do city.

Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts

I'm still hoping for a game to have as many "little things" to do like San Andreas. Man that game had tons of stuff to do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9b4fe90f2f5
deactivated-5c9b4fe90f2f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-5c9b4fe90f2f5
Member since 2009 • 1701 Posts
what i really liked was you can't pull out weapons in the open city or else cops will come after you it's not like the other sandbox games were you can run around with a SMG and nobody cares.. also you can even turn the lights on and off, open a window, flush the toilets :P
Resistance_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 Resistance_Kid
Member since 2009 • 1171 Posts

what i really liked was you can't pull out weapons in the open city or else cops will come after you it's not like the other sandbox games were you can run around with a SMG and nobody cares.. also you can even turn the lights on and off, open a window, flush the toilets :Pzahyr

YESSSSS!

That's exactly how I felt. Left the tap running at my house before I went to do the dirty work, noticed the immense realism in the game, it's practicaly like a realy virtual world :D

Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Farkeman
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
i am kinda disapointed with demo , i got time hack explored for few hours didnt really found anything fun to do apart from killing people and drinving around ... but it still a demo and im getting the game anyway , already have it preordered :)
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

A gripe I have with most "sandbox" games is that there is just not much extra (fun) stuff to do besides follow the story. Sure, most of them do have extra stuff, but it's usually basic, monotonous, cookie cutter stuff like collecting/shooting things hidden throughout the map. . . scavenger hunt type stuff. If Mafia 2 is much like Mafia, this again will be the case. Mostly linear gameplay played in an open environment, which is kind of a waste of space.

Avatar image for PlatoonSgtElias
PlatoonSgtElias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PlatoonSgtElias
Member since 2003 • 70 Posts

Only ROCKSTAR can make a true open world freeroam city with TONS of stuff to do, just wait for San Andreas 2, you will be absolutly blown away, I kid u not :)

Resistance_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Resistance_Kid

Only ROCKSTAR can make a true open world freeroam city with TONS of stuff to do, just wait for San Andreas 2, you will be absolutly blown away, I kid u not :)

PlatoonSgtElias

You mean the game that's not going to come? I'll pass ;)

There will probably be more things to do in the full Mafia II game than in GTA SA.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

As I've said before in previous threads. Mafia 2 as a sandbox seems to be very dry. If that's all they have to offer then it was a bit pointless to make it a sandbox game like GTA in the first place.

Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Farkeman
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
just cause 2 is the best free roam sandbox game out there , there is so much mods , endless fun , san andreas is 2nd :) seems like whole gta series is going downhill , gta 4 just failed , there was nothing to do besides missions (wich didnt last long either) and new gta 5 will be focused in holywood so i wouldnt expect anything like sa since most of the action will be inside a big city ...
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mystic-G

just cause 2 is the best free roam sandbox game out there , there is so much mods , endless fun , san andreas is 2nd :) seems like whole gta series is going downhill , gta 4 just failed , there was nothing to do besides missions (wich didnt last long either) and new gta 5 will be focused in holywood so i wouldnt expect anything like sa since most of the action will be inside a big city ...Farkeman
First off, the Hollywood thing is a rumor right now.

GTA4 was a nice game but they did back track from San Andreas. I wouldn't say GTA is going downhill yet until we see how the next installment fares.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#12 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

I agree, there is some cool little things they did in this game!

Can't wait to try the full version soon!

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kozzy1234

just cause 2 is the best free roam sandbox game out there , there is so much mods , endless fun , san andreas is 2nd :) seems like whole gta series is going downhill , gta 4 just failed , there was nothing to do besides missions (wich didnt last long either) and new gta 5 will be focused in holywood so i wouldnt expect anything like sa since most of the action will be inside a big city ...Farkeman

Mafia1 was the best sandbox game imo, Just Cause2 was good fun though.

The things that 99% of sanbox games like this miss is A good story and memorable characters... mafia1 had both those, plus amazing music.

mafia 2 looks to continue this storytelling and character rich expereinces in this genre.

IMO Mafia 1 was miles ahead of all the GTA games.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
The little things make this game so much better. I killed the owner of "The LoneStar", that bar, and came back about 5 minutes later to see that police tape was on the door I went in and the lights were off, it was shut down. Again nothing major, but I got a nice kick out of it.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
The amount of detail is amazing, especially the way the citizens react. I also hope the full version will include many fun thigs to do apart from the main story, as oposed to the first that had few things to do.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 millerlight89
The amount of detail is amazing, especially the way the citizens react. I also hope the full version will include many fun thigs to do apart from the main story, as oposed to the first that had few things to do.dakan45
Yea that would be nice, good thing they did not have cell phones back then though....... if you know what I mean ( GTA :P.)
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
[QUOTE="dakan45"]The amount of detail is amazing, especially the way the citizens react. I also hope the full version will include many fun thigs to do apart from the main story, as oposed to the first that had few things to do.millerlight89
Yea that would be nice, good thing they did not have cell phones back then though....... if you know what I mean ( GTA :P.)

yeah "Hey cousin you wanna go bowling?" What if i throw my helicopter on your house? Will you stop calling me then? Damn if i wanted to go bowling or get drunk, i wouldnt play the game, i would pick up the phone and go out already.
mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mhofever

The little things make this game so much better. I killed the owner of "The LoneStar", that bar, and came back about 5 minutes later to see that police tape was on the door I went in and the lights were off, it was shut down. Again nothing major, but I got a nice kick out of it. millerlight89

Was just about to mention that, heh.

I noticed on the Legend of the map that there are going to be Jobs which you can do on the side away from the Main Mission. Sounds like you get to free roam in between missions ( gta-like ) rather than doing each mission after the other like the first game. Also heard that you'll get to be able to get a collection of cars in the garage, so I'm hoping that you can't lock pick cars till you know how to like the first game.

I've spent 2-3 hours straight already on the demo now, been having a lot of fun robbing stores and killing off the owners who talk!

jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 jpph
Member since 2005 • 3337 Posts

I'm still hoping for a game to have as many "little things" to do like San Andreas. Man that game had tons of stuff to do.

Steameffekt

did it have more than gta 4?

NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#20 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts
what i really liked was you can't pull out weapons in the open city or else cops will come after you zahyr
They're just keeping with the original.
Kaelken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kaelken
Member since 2007 • 531 Posts

They picked up a few things from GTA, look at the radar, the radio and the newly added burnout and let's not forget the cover system and melee interlock - at least it seems better optimized...

I like the simulation driving a lot but I hate the crosshair filling half the screen even in zoom mode, it takes a lot off of the visual experience, which I feel they put a lot of effort into

I also hate the running animation as it reminds of the forward bent player I saw in Godfather and APB, it's just simply off. Forest Gump looked better running as a handicapped.

Making my character feel slow, awkward and sort of goofy. I imagine this was not aimed for

What really worries me is the total lack of progression. There isn't a single new concept or feature.

The genre has been screaming to be taken to the next level since GTA III in 2001. By now we should have had a multiplayer experience with jobs and property -- building your crew and taking over, "the world is yours".

Driving from point a to be following the radar and the go press fire where they tell you is getting really old. And console wave, simplification and automation is increasing. Taking away freedom, creativity and initiative.

All in all I am less pessimistic than before though, I believe mafia 2 will not flop as other heavy weights before it, APB, GTA IV and AVP 3 recently.

Nino_ze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Nino_ze
Member since 2008 • 368 Posts
this game will ROCK, and everybody who says that GTA IV is better, well all I can say is, ''poor bastards, they think they have seen it all''
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Love the demo but I wish you could go into more of the buildings. Would be awesome if you could go inside other peoples houses and stuff.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 millerlight89

Love the demo but I wish you could go into more of the buildings. Would be awesome if you could go inside other peoples houses and stuff.

nooblet69
That is something I have hoped for for a long time. I have always wanted this in a sandbox game, but maybe one day.
shawnyboy12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 shawnyboy12
Member since 2006 • 280 Posts

I had a great time playing it and am anticipating its release. I really hope the story will be good since that was one of the things I was most looking forward to. I do enjoy the smal ldetails that they've aded to the game, it just seems that there are some great oppurtunites that they missed that could have made those smaller things even better.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kozzy1234

I had a great time playing it and am anticipating its release. I really hope the story will be good since that was one of the things I was most looking forward to. I do enjoy the smal ldetails that they've aded to the game, it just seems that there are some great oppurtunites that they missed that could have made those smaller things even better.

shawnyboy12

WIcked blog post about Mafia2 demo (:
Im going to post one of your screenshots in the official Mafia2 hype thread in system wars if ya dont mind :P

shawnyboy12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 shawnyboy12
Member since 2006 • 280 Posts

[QUOTE="shawnyboy12"]

kozzy1234

WIcked blog post about Mafia2 demo (:
Im going to post one of your screenshots in the official Mafia2 hype thread in system wars if ya dont mind :P

Yeah, sure. Thanks :)

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mhofever

Well I hope there will be a huge modding community for Mafia 2 after it releases. It has potential for future mods.

Resistance_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Resistance_Kid

Finally found faults in the demo. You CANNOT swim, which is very, very huge. It is also where the next part comes in. I was running from the police with a practically full wanted level, ran to the docks, only to realize that you cannot swim, which resulted in my assault against police far away from cover(which lasted 10 full minutes thanks to health regeneration).

I really need to get a car, drive to the docks, and start a shootout with the car as my cover. But before that of course, I need to go stock up in the nearby Gun Shop :D

How I love this game :lol:

adv_tr00per

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 adv_tr00per
Member since 2006 • 2605 Posts

I was robbing the gas station and a police car slams full speed into the gas tanks, and the explosion sent the attendant flying into the wall. That was hilarious.

bleacher6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bleacher6
Member since 2010 • 332 Posts

LOL i do really like the realism..i used to laugh at the fact that in other games like that i could carry an RPG around and nobody does anything lol

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mystic-G

Finally found faults in the demo. You CANNOT swim, which is very, very huge. It is also where the next part comes in. I was running from the police with a practically full wanted level, ran to the docks, only to realize that you cannot swim, which resulted in my assault against police far away from cover(which lasted 10 full minutes thanks to health regeneration).

I really need to get a car, drive to the docks, and start a shootout with the car as my cover. But before that of course, I need to go stock up in the nearby Gun Shop :D

How I love this game :lol:

Resistance_Kid
Welcome back to 2002 technology, Vice City. :P