Mac vs PC for college

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iTyVi36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 iTyVi36
Member since 2005 • 38 Posts

I apologize in advance, I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times bofore....

But, I'm going to college and need to get a laptop. I'm either going to go with a vaio w/ vista or wait for OS X Leopard and grap a macbook pro. I've never used a mac, but I like the idea that it is immune to viruses and spam b/c it will need to last like 4 years. I wont need it for games, i'll have either a ps3 or a 360 for games. Let me know what you guys think... i've learned that the forums never lie lol....

GamingMonkeyPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 GamingMonkeyPC
Member since 2005 • 3576 Posts
Either way is fine. If you're not gaming, go ahead and go for a Mac - I would suggest getting XP OS (with the upgrade Vista coupon) if you do get a Mac - for "file sharing" when you meet up with your roommates.
Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Baselerd
Member since 2003 • 5104 Posts
The hardware prices on a mac can't be justified by any means. If you like the idea of no viruses, get linux instead. However if you wanna look really trendy get a mac, just make sure you park it at starbucks 24/7.
jsl99944704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jsl99944704
Member since 2005 • 72 Posts
The hardware prices on a mac can't be justified by any means. If you like the idea of no viruses, get linux instead. However if you wanna look really trendy get a mac, just make sure you park it at starbucks 24/7.Baselerd
Compare it to a Compareably featured Pc. They cost about the Same (At least the Macbook Both that and the 14" Dell cost the same) Also if your using something 6+ Hours a day why be cheap
Narcadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Narcadox
Member since 2006 • 864 Posts
Seeing as your not going to be using it for gaming get the Mac, cuz lets face it...its one sweet lookin peice of kit:P
Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 Baselerd
Member since 2003 • 5104 Posts
Yea well VIAO's are just as expensive as macs, I don't know why you would spend so much for a brand. Linux+beryl looks waaay better than OSX tho, so don't get it for the aesthetics of the OS.
jsl99944704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jsl99944704
Yea well VIAO's are just as expensive as macs, I don't know why you would spend so much for a brand. Linux+beryl looks waaay better than OSX tho, so don't get it for the aesthetics of the OS.Baselerd
Actually. More expensive (Their Equivelent to a macbook at least the one my teacher has is 2000$! And is new with a pentium M! (Has the most amazing screen ever though) Now Do this. Price out a Dell 1405 With 2.0Ghz Core2 Draft-N Vista 1GB Ram 80Gig HD Bluetooth Ect. Same specs as a macbook.. What does it come to? Well for me 1,240 So $60 Difference Actually without the rebates its 50$ MORE after the intel switch pricing has been VERY good. (Also macmall has one with 2gb Ram for 1,200 or had it (Sells out quick) )
theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 theragu40
Member since 2005 • 3332 Posts
Go for the Mac if you're not going to be gaming. There are a lot more useful (and free) productivity tools related to school with the Mac that would be very helpful as a student. Plus, if you ever get a hankering for some Windows action, you can dual-boot XP and OSX. For the non-gaming student, Macs are a no-brainer. However, don't get caught up with the whole "virus/spyware-proof" idea. The only reason Macs have less of a problem with viruses and spyware is that no one programs viruses for Macs because they have a lesser userbase. The more popular they get, the more problems they're going to have. Also, keep in mind that though OSX is generally more stable than Windows, if you are actually able to break it and get it to crash, you're in a world of hurt. I've never seen a cheap Mac fix...when it's broken, there's no guesswork - it's really broken (which could be seen as either a bad thing or a good thing, I suppose).
iTyVi36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 iTyVi36
Member since 2005 • 38 Posts
ok thanks guys, this is really helpful. How much of a hit does gaming on a mac really take?...there's anways the chance that i will pick up the odd strategy game or somthing not on a console... 
johnboy07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 johnboy07
Member since 2004 • 31 Posts
IF you want to, you can go to apples website and build your own mac, configure it and whatnot. My dad asked me the same question about having a mac for college and i could still build my own pc for less money than the basic mac i made on the website. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?cid=AOS-US-YPI-A10000060717 good luck
Bobbomadic121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Bobbomadic121
Member since 2003 • 202 Posts
its not that macs dont have the hardware for games, but hardly any games come out for it. But you can avoid that problem by dual booting OSX and XP. Also, Macs are not Immune to spam, that is not the OS's fault.
killerbasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 killerbasa
Member since 2005 • 860 Posts
I'd say go w/ a Windows PC. Like the whole virus immunity thing others posted above is true. However, just go buy McAfee or Norton anti-virus, they work well and are relativiely cheap. Just collect spare change or sell drugs (jk) to pay for it even tho on a monthly bassi it is cheap. Then, if a cool game comes along and ur like "wow I want that really cool game that just came out that my coleagues cant play becuase they have a Mac, but I can because I have a Vista comp." Even tho games aren't ur priority. All in all, get windows because there is more software designed for windows.
jsl99944704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jsl99944704
[QUOTE="theragu40"]Go for the Mac if you're not going to be gaming. There are a lot more useful (and free) productivity tools related to school with the Mac that would be very helpful as a student. Plus, if you ever get a hankering for some Windows action, you can dual-boot XP and OSX. For the non-gaming student, Macs are a no-brainer. However, don't get caught up with the whole "virus/spyware-proof" idea. The only reason Macs have less of a problem with viruses and spyware is that no one programs viruses for Macs because they have a lesser userbase. The more popular they get, the more problems they're going to have. Also, keep in mind that though OSX is generally more stable than Windows, if you are actually able to break it and get it to crash, you're in a world of hurt. I've never seen a cheap Mac fix...when it's broken, there's no guesswork - it's really broken (which could be seen as either a bad thing or a good thing, I suppose).

Actually...NO They used to have as many viruses as windows when they had..Less marketshare (OS9) But they moved to Unix and improved security with that and did some other security things and now have no problems. If you really think about how Unix -vs- Windows Security works you would know why. Programs can only touch their own files. IE a virus could only touch files in its native folder. Thats why the only virus can only touch the Folders under the file its in. And put together Linux + Mac + Unix have ~14% Marketshare and still no virus's. I would get a mac if the Pro Didnt cost so much or the Macbook Had ok Graphics. Then again i saw the MBP online With 2Gigs of Ram for only 1,600 Before so i could find that. But the macbook is supposed to get a "OK" Gpu because this is only the first gen of intel machines. They just took what was in their dev kit and made it into the Mini's And macbook

Edit: Also Macs can run windows now so its not a  problem.
Also macs Do have games Just not the ones people care about (Counterstrike,Ect)
Also Halo was designed for the mac! (G3 actually)
KSlater85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 KSlater85
Member since 2003 • 19738 Posts
Personally... I would recommend Macs... Even though I never owned one and likely never will because I am a PC fan...
TheLiberal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheLiberal
Member since 2007 • 294 Posts
Personally... I would recommend Macs... Even though I never owned one and likely never will because I am a PC fan...KSlater85

I've been recommending Macs to my non-geek friends and family for years.  They're easy enough to use and there's less malware written for Mac OS.  You know what that means to me?  It means I have to listen to less whining when they have to take their PCs somewhere to get fixed because they've been going to too many pr0n sites and opening too many suspicious emails.
KSlater85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KSlater85
[QUOTE="KSlater85"]Personally... I would recommend Macs... Even though I never owned one and likely never will because I am a PC fan...TheLiberal

I've been recommending Macs to my non-geek friends and family for years.  They're easy enough to use and there's less malware written for Mac OS.  You know what that means to me?  It means I have to listen to less whining when they have to take their PCs somewhere to get fixed because they've been going to too many pr0n sites and opening too many suspicious emails.

Yeah... I hear you there big Time...
TheLiberal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheLiberal
[QUOTE="TheLiberal"][QUOTE="KSlater85"]Personally... I would recommend Macs... Even though I never owned one and likely never will because I am a PC fan...KSlater85

I've been recommending Macs to my non-geek friends and family for years. They're easy enough to use and there's less malware written for Mac OS. You know what that means to me? It means I have to listen to less whining when they have to take their PCs somewhere to get fixed because they've been going to too many pr0n sites and opening too many suspicious emails.

Yeah, I don't do free tech support for my friends and family anymore, either.  They don't like it, but they bother me less and figure it out on their own more.  :P
KSlater85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KSlater85
[QUOTE="KSlater85"][QUOTE="TheLiberal"][QUOTE="KSlater85"]Personally... I would recommend Macs... Even though I never owned one and likely never will because I am a PC fan...TheLiberal

I've been recommending Macs to my non-geek friends and family for years. They're easy enough to use and there's less malware written for Mac OS. You know what that means to me? It means I have to listen to less whining when they have to take their PCs somewhere to get fixed because they've been going to too many pr0n sites and opening too many suspicious emails.

Yeah, I don't do free tech support for my friends and family anymore, either.  They don't like it, but they bother me less and figure it out on their own more.  :P

Hmm... Interesting... I don't do much anymore because I am here and they are over there :D
TheLiberal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheLiberal
[QUOTE="TheLiberal"][QUOTE="KSlater85"][QUOTE="TheLiberal"][QUOTE="KSlater85"]Personally... I would recommend Macs... Even though I never owned one and likely never will because I am a PC fan...KSlater85

Yeah, I don't do free tech support for my friends and family anymore, either. They don't like it, but they bother me less and figure it out on their own more. :P

Hmm... Interesting... I don't do much anymore because I am here and they are over there :D

Luckily, my family is about 5 hours away, but my fiance's family is, unfortunately, not.  I used to get bothered by them all the time.  Not any more. :D
Charge them like $15 or $20 an hour for fixing crap (that's less than those PC repair shops) and they'll stop bothering you.  :P
KSlater85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KSlater85
Oh yeah.. I know... I still do it for my mom though... Though my sister... I just teach her how to fix it... Or rather tried.. She does not learn well..
jsl99944704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jsl99944704
Oh yeah.. I know... I still do it for my mom though... Though my sister... I just teach her how to fix it... Or rather tried.. She does not learn well..KSlater85
Well my general rule is Gamer = PC (Or mac Pro) Non = Mac