This topic is locked from further discussion.

shadow53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 shadow53
Member since 2004 • 658 Posts
im looking at a mac laptop and im just wondering weather or not to put 1 or 2 gigs of ram in it. what is best for it?
darkmagician06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 darkmagician06
Member since 2003 • 6060 Posts

but it with as little ram as possible and buy the ram elsewhere for hundreds cheaper. like if you were looking at a macbook get 1 gig then get a 2 gig upgrade for like $50 instead of paying like $150 from apple. you can even get 4 gigs for $100 some places.

anyways...i suggest 2 gigs but dont buy from apple :)

G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts

I'd stick 2 gigs in there, even if you are only going to be using OS X, you'll see some benefit.

Plus ram is cheap, so you might as well :).

What are you planning on doing with it though?

Trippinskott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Trippinskott
Member since 2005 • 1142 Posts

Well depending on where you're going to get your RAM from, whichever Apple notebook you're looking at should come with 1GB standard, so order it with the 1GB and then order 2GB or 4GB from Newegg.com, for a lot cheaper that what Apple will sell it to you...

I got 2GB in my Macbook Pro, as soon as I see a need for 4GB, believe me, it'll be from Newegg.com and not from Apple...

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#6 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Definitely stuff as much RAM into the system as possible... though not from Apple. They make a pretty hefty profit margin on a factory RAM upgrade, but it's basically there for people either too afraid to mess with their systems or corporate accounts where they'd actively prohibit any form of upgrading that didn't have a bill for parts and labor involved. OS X loves RAM, and sees significant performance improvements by having more RAM than just simply putting a faster CPU into the machine. And given that OS X is much nicer about it than Windows, there's no reason to not go for 4GB of RAM in the MacBook if you can afford it.