This topic is locked from further discussion.

pogswarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 pogswarts
Member since 2006 • 1050 Posts

My new Cooler Master Hyper TX3 is a little loud, and in my PC experience, loud = bad. Should I be worried? I don't know what temps are safe or how to check them for my CPU (AMD Phenom II X4 955 with no OCing). Is there anyway I can check to make sure everything is okay?

Avatar image for gearsofhalogeek
gearsofhalogeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 gearsofhalogeek
Member since 2007 • 1020 Posts
download hwmonitor. it will tell you all your fan speeds and temps.
pogswarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 pogswarts

I downloaded it. It says under Fans PWM that the CPU fan is at 100% and the CPU temp, 33C. Now, how can I make the fan go at a more reasonable speed?

gearsofhalogeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gearsofhalogeek
im not familiar with a windows program that will allow you to set your fan settings, you may want to try your bios settings on your mobo, thats how i can set my fan speed. also, is your cpu fan connected to the cpu fan power supply on your mobo or are you using the molex psu adapter? if molex then you cannot set your fan speed as far as i know, it will run 100 percent all the time unless you have a physical fan controller connected to the fan in question.
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts

You have to go into the BIOS and manually set the fan speeds. What mobo do you have? Also, make sure your fan is plugged into the CPU_FAN on the mobo.

pogswarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pogswarts

I just plugged the fan into my mobo, an MSI 785GTM-E45. When I'm in BIOS which settings should I try that would be safe for my CPU?

gearsofhalogeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gearsofhalogeek
i think my fan settings are under the power management option in my bios, but yours may be different. if you plugged your fan into your mobo, it should be set to auto now so you should probably leave that alone.
pogswarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pogswarts

^ But why would it automatically be set to run at 100%? That just doesn't seem right.

gearsofhalogeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gearsofhalogeek
is your processor overclocked? my processor is overclocked, im using an aftermarket heatsink (primolatech megahelms) with 2 140mm fans (push/pull configuration) they are running at roughly 40 percent (both) and my overclock is from 2.4ghz to 3.6 ghz, cpu voltage is 1.35v and its temperature is 24c. If you are not overclocked your temp sounds a bit hot, maybe that is why your fan is at 100 percent? try taking heatsink off, clean off the thermal paste and reapplying a pea sized amount then reseating the heatsink. this may help.
pogswarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pogswarts

It's not OCed but I sorta...messed up the thermal paste when I put it on. The TX3 has a...strange...installation and it started sliding around, and I ended up with too much paste. So I took the heatsink off and tried again (without cleaning anything off). I didn't think it would make that big of a deal, but I'll try that. How should I go about safely cleaning it?

I just opened up BIOS

It said my CPU's temp was 39-40C

Fan's RPM was around 3000, but the fan says its max is 2800 :?

The only thing I found about controlling the fan stuff was talking about AMD's Cool'n'Quiet which is set to Auto

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xsubtownerx

^ But why would it automatically be set to run at 100%? That just doesn't seem right.

pogswarts
if the fan isn't plugged to the mobo (CPU_FAN) the CPU fan/heatsink will automatically run at 100%.
pogswarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pogswarts

^ I'm certain I put it in that one because it was the only place that had enough plugs and was closest to the CPU.

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xsubtownerx

I'm certain I put it in that one because it was the only place that had enough plugs and was closest to the CPU.

pogswarts
Well it shouldn't be hard to double check. :P If it is plugged in, then maybe the thermal paste you applied is causing problems. But I doubt it would make the heatsink fan run at 100% though.
pogswarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pogswarts

I just double checked and it's in the right place. I think I will reapply the thermal paste in a few days when my new RAM shows up and hope that helps.

Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#15 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
Loud CPU fan... (my old air cooler, Scythe Mugen 1)
gearsofhalogeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gearsofhalogeek

It's not OCed but I sorta...messed up the thermal paste when I put it on. The TX3 has a...strange...installation and it started sliding around, and I ended up with too much paste. So I took the heatsink off and tried again (without cleaning anything off). I didn't think it would make that big of a deal, but I'll try that. How should I go about safely cleaning it?

I just opened up BIOS

It said my CPU's temp was 39-40C

Fan's RPM was around 3000, but the fan says its max is 2800 :?

The only thing I found about controlling the fan stuff was talking about AMD's Cool'n'Quiet which is set to Auto

pogswarts
if you use too much thermal paste it is bad. the right amount acts as a heat conductor, but too much acts as an insulator. when i apply thermal paste i place a pea sized amount in the center of the cpu and then use the plastic applicator (that came with the thermal paste, but can be substituted with anything with an index card or any plastic straigh edge) to smooth out the thermal paste evenly across the processor to form a very thin film over the processor. almost transparent. only apply to the processor dont apply to the heatsink. since your not overclocked that is a hot temp, especially if your cpu fan is running at 100 percent. reapply the paste properly and go from there. hope that helps you.
pogswarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pogswarts

Ok thanks for the help. I post back if that fixed it or not.

pogswarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pogswarts

Well I just reset it and used as little thermal paste as possible, but the BIOS is still saying the temps are in the 38-39C range with the fan at 100%.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Well I just reset it and used as little thermal paste as possible, but the BIOS is still saying the temps are in the 38-39C range with the fan at 100%.

pogswarts
Have you checked everywhere in your bios for something to do with fan speed? On my ASUS motherboard it's called 'Q fan'.
Meat_Wad_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Meat_Wad_Fan
Member since 2002 • 9054 Posts

Maybe the ram you have in there isn't at factory clock speeds, and you have to adjust it manually? I remember something like that happenening with my first pair of ram, before I changed the settings in bios my cpu fan was also at 100%

pogswarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pogswarts

^ Yes, and the only thing I found about fan control was talking about the target temperature for my CPU and from there I could choose a minium fan speed. But that was just the minium so it still stayed at 100%.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
I have the same exact cooler with a pheno x4 955 and i found the best settings for efficiency while keeping noise low is fan speed either at 50% ( about 1800rpm's ) or 62,5% ( about 2100 rpm's ). Anything higher than 2200rpm's and the TX3 starts getting noisy but even at 1800rpm is doing a good job keeping my phenom 955 at 50C max at load Download speedfan to check temps You can set the speed of CPU fan in the M/b bios
pogswarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pogswarts

^ Good to hear from someone who has the same stuff as me. I just tried setting it to 62.5% and its quieted right down. I just hope it doesn't get too hot...as right now it's idling at 29-30C

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xsubtownerx

^ Good to hear from someone who has the same stuff as me. I just tried setting it to 62.5% and its quieted right down. I just hope it doesn't get too hot...as right now it's idling at 29-30C

pogswarts
Those are perfectly normal idle temps. :)
pogswarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pogswarts

Phew, looks like it's fixed :D.

Thanks for all the help!