This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ThePostalWorker
ThePostalWorker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ThePostalWorker
Member since 2006 • 839 Posts
I have a bunch of games that I bought installed on my PC, and I lost the key codes for them. Is there any way to find your key code of an installed game through some program file? I want to copy it down so I can reinstall the game on my new PC. Thanks.
beex215

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 beex215
Member since 2006 • 1198 Posts
i think you are out of luck.most keys are on the case or the manual.
sircyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sircyrus
Member since 2003 • 6358 Posts

i think you are out of luck.most keys are on the case or the manual.beex215
Yep. If you have the bill you may be able to contact the publisher and convince them to give you a new one but I highly doubt they'd do that.

I'd recommend using a sharpie to write CD-keys right on the CD/DVD for your games. You'll never lose it that way.

VauxhalI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 VauxhalI
Member since 2007 • 909 Posts
There's programs for some games that let you actually change the key-code, I don't know too much them though.
Rob_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rob_101
Member since 2004 • 3291 Posts
Theres a program that I used to view my windows xp cd key so there might be ones for other programs, just try searching around.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Actually if you still have the old installs available you can locate the keys usually. They are often stored as part of a text configuration file or as a registry key in plain text. If you can locate the key, it's usually perfectly readable. However, the exact location of a key varies by game to game. For example, Battlefield 2142 stores its key in the registry at \HKLMSoftwareEA GamesBattlefield 2142ergcREG_SZ. Neverwinter Nights 2 stores these values in a text file in the install directory. It's different for every game.

-Byshop

mackattack777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 mackattack777
Member since 2005 • 78 Posts

Actually if you still have the old installs available you can locate the keys usually. They are often stored as part of a text configuration file or as a registry key in plain text. If you can locate the key, it's usually perfectly readable. However, the exact location of a key varies by game to game. For example, Battlefield 2142 stores its key in the registry at HKLMSoftwareEA GamesBattlefield 2142ergcREG_SZ. Neverwinter Nights 2 stores these values in a text file in the install directory. It's different for every game.

-Byshop

Byshop

ooooooooohhhhhh dude you have no idea how much you just helped me ( I lost my 2142 key ) Thank you VERY much thats just awsome.

Woohoooo!

The_PC_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The_PC_Gamer
Member since 2003 • 2910 Posts

Theres a program that I used to view my windows xp cd key so there might be ones for other programs, just try searching around.Rob_101

Thats because Windows key is there for you (on the front of you case, for OEM versions of windows), while the key for games are only on the manual/box.

Rob_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rob_101
Member since 2004 • 3291 Posts

[QUOTE="Rob_101"]Theres a program that I used to view my windows xp cd key so there might be ones for other programs, just try searching around.The_PC_Gamer

Thats because Windows key is there for you (on the front of you case, for OEM versions of windows), while the key for games are only on the manual/box.

I know that, my case didn't have that tho. I was just saying there IS programs out there that can locate your CD key for you for different programs.

glenmard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 glenmard
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Do you have a gaming account where I can find my games that I downloaded under glenmard. My computer is new and I didn't have the smarts to save the games. I especially need the code numbers as I seem to have a list of some of them that I had. Thank you - Marilynn Dingman marilynnpaints@gmail.com