Lords of the Fallen (PC) - What is "NVIDIA Apex Turbulence"?

sethfrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By sethfrost
Member since 2003 • 709 Posts

"Apex Turbulence" is a framework with its own API using DirectCompute (DirectX 11), PhysX and CUDA, for the GPU to do some advanced physics calculations through the programmable shaders.

In plain English: the developer uses the graphic card to calculate high definition smoke, fog interaction, dust, sand & snow storms - everything that needs a high amount of particles and therefore particle calculations.

Here's an article on the NVIDIA Developer Website with several video (game) examples:

https://developer.nvidia.com/apex-turbulence

This feature seems to have been the reason why some people have had game crashes on their PCs. It needs a Kepler architecture or above NVIDIA GPU. Notebooks are also not the best environment to play the latest (modern) games on highest settings, no matter what the Alienware & Co. marketing people are trying to tell you.

apex_gpu_support_enabled = false in the settings.ini disables the feature.

If you want to dig even deeper, there is a tutorial for UE3 users:

https://developer.nvidia.com/apex-turbulence-tutorials

This is all part of NVIDIA GameWorksâ„¢ which is a middleware product, providing game developers with specific development tools & libraries:

https://developer.nvidia.com/what-is-gameworks

PS: I am not working for NVIDIA nor trying to 'sell' you something. I use AMD/ATI, Intel and all sorts of GPU/CPUs. So, please, no 'flamewars' - we had those since ca. 1999.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

I have moved this topic from the Game Discussion board to the PC board as I felt it was more relevant here. Can you provide some expansion to this @sethfrost to get some conversation going?

Thank you.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Just reporting in:

I bought this game yesterday and played about 2 hours of it (killed the first boss).

Game works fine on my rig with everything on VERY HIGH except AF (2x) and Shadows at HIGH.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I'm confused. Isn't this just the same thing we've had forever (PhysX?)? Or are these features not exclusive to NVIDIA-based cards anymore?

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#4 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

Just reporting in:

I bought this game yesterday and played about 2 hours of it (killed the first boss).

Game works fine on my rig with everything on VERY HIGH except AF (2x) and Shadows at HIGH.

Yea its been fine for me as well but I had to put Textures on High to avoid stuttering in the outdoor areas.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

I'm confused. Isn't this just the same thing we've had forever (PhysX?)? Or are these features not exclusive to NVIDIA-based cards anymore?

Same here, what is this?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

According to eurogamer, the exclusive PC apex effects actually end up hurting the games presentation in many moments. What a waste of time and performance.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

According to eurogamer, the exclusive PC apex effects actually end up hurting the games presentation in many moments. What a waste of time and performance.

yeah.... its actually better to disable the apex particles on PC because the engine itself actually does VERY nice particle effects. with apex on, there are a lot of scenes that strangely just have no particles at all.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

Just reporting in:

Why put AF at 2x? Going from 2x to 16x has little to no performance drop.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@RyviusARC said:

@FelipeInside said:

Just reporting in:

Why put AF at 2x? Going from 2x to 16x has little to no performance drop.

Well, in most game I never see the difference from a low to high AF, so I just put it on minimum to save on performance, even if minimal.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

It is not exclusive like PhysX.

It even works with older games like Dark Void!