lord of the rings online any good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bb0ymc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 bb0ymc
Member since 2008 • 157 Posts

I have been feeling like playing a good MMO for a while now and all the free mmo's I try seem to just be a grind fest...

so i was thinking of buying lord of the rings online but i have a few questions.

1:How many people still play it?

2:is it worth it? if not why?

3:is it a grind fest :P

4:if its not worth it please recommend me a good MMO(besides WOW)

so if you could help that would be great thanks :)

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts
1- hundred of thousand 2- of course, try the trial 3- no
Nerkcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Nerkcon
Member since 2006 • 4707 Posts
I've heard some people say it has better PVE than World of Warcraft. :shock: I want to try it someday.
Lord_DoDo56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4 Lord_DoDo56
Member since 2005 • 960 Posts
I am doing the trial right now. It's evolved a lot since I last played it in Beta. It really feels smooth and the quests aren't all just kill a bunch of x for y.
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
It's a fun game, community is decent size (Brandywine is the highest pop) and the PVE is great, I play it on and off.
SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

Being a fan of UO, then SWG, then WoW, then LoTRO I can tell you its not really that good. Theres not nearly as much depth as WoW. Your limited when it comes to races and classes...and its just a boring world if you ask me. I had so much more fun in the warcraft world.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
LOTRO has the BEST....yes, the BEST PvE in any MMO to date.... And for people who say it has no depth, they have no idea....the quests are very well thought out and presented...
Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
Depth =/= well thought out quests in most peoples honest opinions. And the best PvE goes to games like UO and the original EQ where there is quite literally a million and one things to do rather than the same end game 100 times until next patch.
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
I bought the game along with all the other expansions in a sale for $10. If you guys want to go questing together with me pm me. I just started as well.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside
Depth =/= well thought out quests in most peoples honest opinions. And the best PvE goes to games like UO and the original EQ where there is quite literally a million and one things to do rather than the same end game 100 times until next patch.ColdfireTrilogy
In my humble opinion....I have played lots and lots of MMOs....and LOTRO was the only one (apart from WoW), that really immersed me into the world....
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#11 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
I love LOTRO so much I bought a lifetime subscription. And for any comparison/contrasting sake, I can't stand WOW (never could).
Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Farkeman
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
lotro is not even close to have as good pve as wow's most of people that state that are lotro fan boys... the game lacks of scripts , its not like wow . you mainly grind quests or mobs (for those rediculous traits) all classes are quite the same , so replay value is poor you can hook up for few months but not years like in wow ! new dungeon system is way more fun than whole lotro trait and quest system , imo if your looking for pve games you should try wow , if you dont want to play wow , you can try lotro , but it wont hook you up for long , better try buddy 10 day trial :)
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#13 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
[QUOTE="Farkeman"]lotro is not even close to have as good pve as wow's most of people that state that are lotro fan boys... the game lacks of scripts , its not like wow . you mainly grind quests or mobs (for those rediculous traits) all classes are quite the same , so replay value is poor you can hook up for few months but not years like in wow ! new dungeon system is way more fun than whole lotro trait and quest system , imo if your looking for pve games you should try wow , if you dont want to play wow , you can try lotro , but it wont hook you up for long , better try buddy 10 day trial :)

Anybody else see the irony here? Although I'll happily admit I'm a huge fan of LOTRO.
Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#14 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts
[QUOTE="Gammit10"][QUOTE="Farkeman"]lotro is not even close to have as good pve as wow's most of people that state that are lotro fan boys... the game lacks of scripts , its not like wow . you mainly grind quests or mobs (for those rediculous traits) all classes are quite the same , so replay value is poor you can hook up for few months but not years like in wow ! new dungeon system is way more fun than whole lotro trait and quest system , imo if your looking for pve games you should try wow , if you dont want to play wow , you can try lotro , but it wont hook you up for long , better try buddy 10 day trial :)

Anybody else see the irony here?

lol, yeah. What a troll. "the people who say lotro pve is good are lotr fanboy, WoW pve is better since I am a Wow fanboy."
Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Farkeman
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
lol i aint saying im wow fanboy , i dont even play atm , but hell you can argue as much as you want but you have to agree wow is the best mmorpg you can find in both pve and pvp ... and i aint saying that people who say that lotro pve is good are lotr fanboys , im just saying most of people here say it has better pve than wow without any arguemnets and prolly havent played wow at all and looks like a clear lotr fanboy btw if you care , you buy buy lotro[europe] for 9$ from russians and you get 30 days bonus , its worth those 9$ but its not worth the monthly fee , unless ur so deep in lotr thing that you mind playing the game no mather how bad it is , like all lotr games :)
Adam-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Adam-117
Member since 2007 • 238 Posts

I played the game for over a year, played through Moria expansion, and I really liked the game. Population was not too bad (took a really long time to get a raid group together though), quests were fun, I am a fan of Lord of the Rings. This was the first MMO I played, and after watching some videos of WoW I decided to try it out and I have been enjoying WoW a lot more than Lotro. One of the biggest differences is the population, WoW just seams to have a better living world than LOTRO. WoW also seems to be a way larger world than LOTRO. Every land in Lotro seems too small and confined and "closed off" in a way. The items were another thing I didn't really like in lotro, there didnt seem to be a large variety and at higher levels everyone had the same gear. I also thought the gear didn't look to great. Overall I think Lotro is a good game to play but in my opinion I prefer WoW, it just has a lot more to offer.Different mounts, more items, way larger population, large world/landscape, variety of jobs, amazing raids. One thing which is different in Lotro though is the story. There are main story quests that you can follow which progress throughout the game. The game takes place during the lord of the rings novels, so that story is happening at the same time your playing, and you are indirectly helping out the fellowship. I'm not sure what will happen to the game though once the story ends....

And Lotro its not a grind fest,most of the grinding you will dowill be grinding for titles.

If you have any questions about anything with the game ive played through it all, so if you want to know about any game mechanics just ask.

scotty992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 scotty992
Member since 2005 • 2388 Posts

I couldnt get into it felt too well boring did play wow much either but I played it twice as much as Lord of the Rings.

gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts
Out of all the MMO's I have played I really enjoyed this game. My first MMO ever was star wars galaxies (my god did I love that game can't wait for the kotor mmo :P). I tried WoW (crappy game got bored of it really fast just an overall boring game don't see why its the best mmo out...), played Lord of the rings Online which I played for a long time and had a blast doing it, age of Conan I thought was really fun as well because the combat's unique and a lot better then the mmo's I listed. I would at least try the trial the game is really fun will to me anyway I enjoyed the pve but really if you don't like the trial then you won't like the game :).
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="Farkeman"]lol i aint saying im wow fanboy , i dont even play atm , but hell you can argue as much as you want but you have to agree wow is the best mmorpg you can find in both pve and pvp ... and i aint saying that people who say that lotro pve is good are lotr fanboys , im just saying most of people here say it has better pve than wow without any arguemnets and prolly havent played wow at all and looks like a clear lotr fanboy btw if you care , you buy buy lotro[europe] for 9$ from russians and you get 30 days bonus , its worth those 9$ but its not worth the monthly fee , unless ur so deep in lotr thing that you mind playing the game no mather how bad it is , like all lotr games :)

I just feel the PvE quests in LOTRO are better structred, better presented and have a better variety than WoW. I never said WoW's PvE was bad, since it's not, and also has one of the best out there....but I think LOTRO is the one in the lead in that aspect....