Looking for a mic for online coop or multiplayer.

timemasheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 timemasheen
Member since 2015 • 492 Posts

I have a 5.1 surround sound I use for my pc audio and all I have is this very cheap mic that is falling apart. What do you use for voice chat in games?

I'm looking for a standalone mic, not a headset.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

def_mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 def_mode
Member since 2005 • 4237 Posts

I recommend the Yeti michrophone. Has very good and clear input and does not cost much. Not the Pro version though.

timemasheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 timemasheen

I've looked at that one. I was hoping for something smller, but maybe smaller will be cheaper quality. Thanks. Do you own it?

KyleGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 KyleGates
Member since 2002 • 2997 Posts

Wait Wait WAIT....Do you already have a headset at all that you like? If you do then the AntLion ModMic is THE way to go. I own 4 of them and they are excellent.

https://antlionaudio.com/

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00MTWV0RO/ref=sr_1_3_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1489814276&sr=8-3&keywords=razer+kraken

Unless you're really against headsets. I got these for cheap refurb off amazon. Would never pay full, but the thing does its job. I play off speakers on modest volume to avoid audio bleeding to the mic and hang the headset on the neck.

def_mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 def_mode
Member since 2005 • 4237 Posts

@timemasheen: its not that big if you're thinking it is. Yes I own one bought it 2 years ago. Its good for gaming, conference call etc. Its low profile and cheap.

Has good reception too. You can put it beside your monitor away from your mouth and it still gives clear output.

timemasheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 timemasheen

@KyleGates: I was looking at the modmic actually. I have a Sony headset (MDR-ZX770BN), but it is a wireless model used for music. It isn't a gaming headset. It has a cord that I can plug into the headset and then into the pc, but then the mic doesn't work, I think.

May have to try again real quick. If I can use the modmic with it, then that would be nice, but I doubt it.

timemasheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By timemasheen

@Bikouchu35: Yeah, those are okay, but I already have surround sound and I don't want to pay almost 100 dollars just to hang the mic off my neck. Thank you, though. I appreciate your advice.

Edit: I know you buy refurbished, so you are paying roughly half the cost, but my statement still stands. The headset would be useless.

timemasheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 timemasheen

@def_mode: I looked at the yeti and it is 120 dollars. Are all mics so expensive?

If I can't find a better price, I might just get a modmic and tape it to my head.

KyleGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KyleGates

@timemasheen: Well, the ModMic is not wireless (generally, if at all possible, go wired, better audio quality all the way around). The ModMic comes with a small magnetic attachement that allows you to attach it to just about any headset. So, if you have no headset you like, the ModMic wont be much good to you, but if you do, it can attach and then you are good. Recording quality is generally very very good as well BUT, it is wired (cable runs from the mic to whatever mic/audio in you use on your PC).

timemasheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 timemasheen

@KyleGates: So, I would have 2 wires? from modmic to pc and headset to pc? Hmmmm interesting.

KyleGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KyleGates

@timemasheen said:

@KyleGates: So, I would have 2 wires? from modmic to pc and headset to pc? Hmmmm interesting.

That is true, 2 wires. However, you had mentioned you were interested in quality without big size and big spending. Cant do that without one or two downsides. But the quality of the ModMic is great as is the size and pricing. Small price to pay for 2 wires imo.

Spartan363

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Spartan363
Member since 2012 • 344 Posts

If you do decide to get a headset that both cheap and very good quality for its price is the HyperX Cloud II.

You can even detach the mic and connect it to the mic input of a PC if you don't want to use the headset. But the best thing about the HyperX Cloud II is that it's bar none the most comfortable headset for long gaming sessions that even beat out headsets that cost more than 3-5x the price. You can find them for around 80 bucks or so these days and they also 7.1 surround too. The mic is actually really good quality for its price range and it works just fine on XBOX One controllers too for XBOX Live chatting or even PC gaming if you're using an XBOX One controller for PC gaming, so that's another huge plus for me. I use an XBOX One Elite controller with a chat pad attachment and the HyperX Cloud II and it works awesome for gaming on both PC and XBOX One/Live.