Looking for a great RTS game any recommendations?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Antmf920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Antmf920
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Hey guys, I am looking to really get into RTS games and have downloaded several demos ( SupCom, CoH, C&C 3) and wanted know what is the best rts right now. SupCom looks great but if there is something better I want to know. C&C3 looks so so same old ea C&C game I feel. Anyway please recommend a great rts game and please let me know what it is about. Thanks...
ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts

I think Dawn of War would be a good place to start (just be sure to pick up the expansions), and then move on to Company of Heroes, which is really an evolution of DoW.

Or start with the older classics like StarCraft, Red Alert 2, or Homeworld.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

I think Dawn of War would be a good place to start (just be sure to pick up the expansions), and then move on to Company of Heroes, which is really an evolution of DoW.

Or start with the older classics like StarCraft, Red Alert 2, or Homeworld.

ProudLarry

I can't disagree with a thing this man says.

Antmf920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Antmf920
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
So COH is better then DOW and Supreme Comm?
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts
Yeah, I would highly recommend Dawn of War Platinum edition, which comes with both dark crusade and winter assault expansions, a very very good deal for an outstanding game. I just can't get enough of the Warhammer universe
fatboyvinnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 fatboyvinnie
Member since 2003 • 762 Posts
Age Of Empires due to it's great graphics and rediculous amount of content,the multiplayer rocks aswell
ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts

So COH is better then DOW and Supreme Comm?Antmf920

SupCom is sort of a love it or hate it for most people. Its a pretty slow game compared to other modern RTSs, and it has a bit fo a learning curve, so it really is a matter of opinion if SupCom is the better game.

But like I said before about DoW/CoH: CoH is an evolution of DoW gameplay. Its more refined so in that sense it is better than DoW, but the games are so similar it really comes down to which setting you like more. The Warhammer universe is really awesome, and I'm a little tired of the WW2 setting, so I perfer DoW just a little more than CoH. But again, its a matter of opinion.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Johnny_Rock

So COH is better then DOW and Supreme Comm?Antmf920

CoH and Dow are made by the same people... Relic. So either would be better than Supreme Commander.

SOTE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 SOTE
Member since 2004 • 3398 Posts
throw medieval 2 in the mix with those over games mentioned
SOTE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SOTE
Member since 2004 • 3398 Posts

[QUOTE="Antmf920"]So COH is better then DOW and Supreme Comm?Johnny_Rock

CoH and Dow are made by the same people... Relic. So either would be better than Supreme Commander.

actually i prefer the online of supreme commander over COH and DOW cause its just more epic, but those two beat sup com in single

varpad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 varpad
Member since 2005 • 127 Posts

If you like RTS games which are more tactical type try CoH or DoW... If you want large scale battles with large armies try Supreme Commander... If you want a fast-paced, old-school RTS try C&C3...

Personally, I think the best RTS game currently on the market is Company of Heroes... RTS has never been as realistic as in CoH. It is the closest thing to watching a real WW2 battle from a bird's view... Anyway, currently I'm playing C&C3. I'm a C&C fan, so I like that game too.The Tiberium universe is a great sci-fi story. I haven't played Supreme Commander, so I can't tell you much about that one...

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Johnny_Rock
[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

[QUOTE="Antmf920"]So COH is better then DOW and Supreme Comm?SOTE

actually i prefer the online of supreme commander over COH and DOW cause its just more epic, but those two beat sup com in single

And take far more time for a single gaming session than I have. Thus my choice. I don't think they are better than SC, just more approachable to me.

joppe2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 joppe2
Member since 2005 • 316 Posts
For a little different rts experience try Ground Control 1 or 2.
harrisi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 harrisi17
Member since 2004 • 4010 Posts
IF you never played warcraft 3, then get that, after that go with dawn of war and supcom (I haven't played CoH yet, if ever)
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Johnny_Rock

IF you never played warcraft 3, then get that, after that go with dawn of war and supcom (I haven't played CoH yet, if ever)harrisi17

Such a big loss. You know that CoH is made by the same guys that made Dawn of War, right?

huytttr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 huytttr
Member since 2007 • 816 Posts
Well i personallly like warcraft 3 casue it is easy to play so its a great starter but i think the total war games are great games to get for a more strategical rts.:P
F4ll3n_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 F4ll3n_1
Member since 2005 • 1263 Posts

SupCom...any day, as Ive said before, it actually requires strategy, theres no all powerful unit, andeven the biggest colossus can be taken down with the right units. The battles arent just battles, theyre entire military operations!!

CnC has always seemed boring to me, Age of Empires is very good though, and im sure Empire Earth 3 is gonna rock. But if you want an RTS with real Strategy, go for SupCom, yes, it does have a learning curve, yes, it is a little slow when you start it for the first time, but learning it has a satisfaction.

Xalenite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#18 Xalenite
Member since 2006 • 304 Posts

And DoW has a pretty badass intro movie that shows exactly how insane looking battles could be.

Avatar image for Manly-manly-man
Manly-manly-man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Manly-manly-man
Member since 2006 • 3477 Posts
World in Conflict, once it comes out.
ryaz_weaponx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#20 ryaz_weaponx
Member since 2006 • 918 Posts
DAWN OF WAR
suewo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 suewo
Member since 2007 • 63 Posts

I would say Company of Heroes... The game is quite challenging... *good AI* and has a huge collection of WW2 weapons from the axis and the allies...

I've been tweaking the game using corsix's tool after completed the campaign and bored with the actual gameplay..

check out my blog for some crazy screenshots...

da_monstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 da_monstr
Member since 2006 • 304 Posts
Red Alert 2, Empire Earth 1. Playing them for quite some time. Still like them.
Philmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Philmon
Member since 2003 • 1454 Posts

I am not a huge RTS fan, but there have been a few games that I have loved and cant get enough of.

1) Starcraft - The fact that lots of people still play this (and I am among them), speaks for itself

2) Homeworld / Homeworld - Cataclism / Homeworld 2 - I love this series. In my opinion it is groudbreaking and I have yet to come accross another RTS that handels true 3 dimentional gameplay like homeworld.

3) Total War series - Start with Rome, since most people find Shogan / Medival lacking in graphics. If you like huge tactical battles/seiges with hundreds and sometimes thousands of characters then you will love these games.

4) Warcraft III -If you like your RTS with a bit of RPG and smaller battles and you like the whole fantasy setting then you should try this out.

Hmmm, I wanted to add another one to round it to five but I can't think of another RTS that I really like. I never really got into the whole C&C. One RTS I want to try out that I have not yet played is CoH, but I heard it can be a bit demanding on your computer so I will wait till I upgrade so I can play it with all settings maxed.

VeryBigDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 VeryBigDave
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I would say in order of preference

1. Dawn Of WAR Plus expansions - This made me play RTS games again.

2.Company of Heroes - is prob the bestRTS game I have played, but asI played DOW 1st, that is my number 1.

3. SupremeCommander if you have the time

I brought C&C 3, and have to say even though the presentation and production levels are 1st class. The game is more basic, than those made 5ish years ago (Star Craft/ Warcraft 3)

DezmoTk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DezmoTk
Member since 2004 • 786 Posts

Another for Dawn of War.

I've played every single game listed here but dawn of war just has something about it. The battles are just so awesome to watch and it has a lot of character and creativity. I mean COH is good but its WW2 theres not a lot you can spin with it. Dawn of War is out of this world.

omgimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 omgimba
Member since 2007 • 2645 Posts
Well the RTS I like best is probablt Rome Total War and medieval 2. (I know its half turned basd.. But the real time battles are simply amazing. )
doomsdaydave11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 doomsdaydave11
Member since 2006 • 1159 Posts
Starcraft, Age of Empires 2 and Red Alert 2 are probably the best place to start. Other good ones are Generals (it was ok) Warcraft 3, Company of heroes, and Age of empires 3.