Looking for a decent MMORPG...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sendoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sendoo
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Hi all First post so be gentle. Basically I'm looking for a new MMORPG to play but not sure which one to go for. My experience lies originally with dare I say it, Phantasy Star Online for the hugely underated Dreamcast - I lost my early teens to that game and loved it. Anyway I'd not really concidered PC gaming as being broke ment I wasn't able to buy a decent graphics card and since I knew little about PC's anyway - well next came training as a MCSE tech for a few years with a friend, he got me onto Lineage 2 - I didn't mind that but the grind was terribly dull for little reward. I then got onto dun dun dun!!!! World of Warcraft - albeit at the end of 2007 - so I guess you could say I missed the boat abit with that one. Still I loved it and played up until about 6 months ago when it just got a bit fanboy esq and repetative. I can't believe they are actually bringing out ANOTHER expansion to a game that will be 6 years old soon, pretty amazing. So yeah whats hot, populated and not so far gone I have to be level 100 to get amongst the caos. I also hear there is a potentially unbelievable Star Wars MMO coming out? Nice one. Sen
Uuhnt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Uuhnt
Member since 2009 • 28 Posts
Check out Guild Wars, and the highly anticipated sequel GW 2. Well, I guess I'm anticipating it.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
I can't believe they are actually bringing out ANOTHER expansion to a game that will be 6 years old soon, pretty amazing.Sendoo
The grand daddy of modern MMOs, Ultima Online, is still getting expansion packs over a decade after release. And the original EverQuest isn't doing any worse. Six years might feel like a long time but WoW will keep going for a lot longer. Anyway, I'd recommend checking out Lord of the Rings Online.
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

This.

lenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lenson
Member since 2006 • 2531 Posts

I'd give up looking if I were you.

lotrx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lotrx

Lord of the Rings Online

Runes of MAgic

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts

i second guildwars and everquest.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts

This.

SpaceMoose
It's very rarely wise to play an MMO at launch. In fact, the only bearable launch I've experienced is LOTRO. With every other MMO launch, you spend more time in server queues, eating noodles and trashing the game during downtimes and waiting for miracle updates to make the game finally playable (and in the end come months late).
soliderPp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 soliderPp
Member since 2004 • 1991 Posts

Aion just came out and so far I'm loving the game... though I've only put about ten hours into it. I'd say it's a blend of Guild Wars and World of Warcraft if they means anything to you. Here's a link to the main site if you're interested. AION

soliderPp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 soliderPp
Member since 2004 • 1991 Posts
[QUOTE="SpaceMoose"]

This.

RK-Mara
It's very rarely wise to play an MMO at launch. In fact, the only bearable launch I've experienced is LOTRO. With every other MMO launch, you spend more time in server queues, eating noodles and trashing the game during downtimes and waiting for miracle updates to make the game finally playable (and in the end come months late).

Aion seems to be running almost bug free, probably due to its extensive beta testing. As for the sever queues they are pretty bad during the nights so far (two nights) I've had to wait about an hour to play in my server. Like most MMORPGS it will probably be like this for the first month or two and then the wait times should go away or only last a few minutes.
guidotwofive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 guidotwofive
Member since 2009 • 91 Posts

Try Aion, im loving it so far

Adam-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Adam-117
Member since 2007 • 238 Posts

Lord of the Rings onlne.

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

I am thinking of waiting on Star Wars the Old Republic

Ine95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ine95
I can't wait for Star Wars: The Old Republic and I played the Aion Online beta. I loved it.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Well you have Guild Wars The upcoming Star Wars MMo named Knights of the Old Republic Aion Age of Conan Perfect World ( free to download and play) As a few to check out
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Give Aion a try. Guild Wars isn't an MMO. It's an online RPG with in-game lobbies.

Mike0698

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mike0698
Member since 2007 • 137 Posts

I am thinking of waiting on Star Wars the Old Republic

SouL-Tak3R
hell ya, KOTOR was the best game ever, i would play that game if it was single player.
Mike0698

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mike0698
Member since 2007 • 137 Posts

Give Aion a try. Guild Wars isn't an MMO. It's an online RPG with in-game lobbies.

-Unreal-
its a mmo, the pvp servers are in game lobbys.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts
[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

Mike0698
its a mmo, the pvp servers are in game lobbys.

Why is it not massively multiplayer? It's definately true to the 'O' for online though.
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SpaceMoose

[QUOTE="SpaceMoose"]

This.

RK-Mara

I guess I'm lacking in wisdom then, because between Aion and WoW I've done it twice now. I haven't run into any real problems with Aion yet myself. While other people have reported long queues, I have yet to wait in one, which is presumably because I've been playing on a low population server. They already had the game going in other territories, so it isn't like they had to figure out the infrastructure from scratch.

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TerroRizing
Member since 2007 • 3210 Posts

how is aion, can I just jump into it without a group of friends? ive never played an mmo before, and Im actually the only pc gamer amongst my friends.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SpaceMoose

how is aion, can I just jump into it without a group of friends? ive never played an mmo before, and Im actually the only pc gamer amongst my friends.

TerroRizing

Yeah, you can solo a lot of the content, and should have no trouble finding a "legion" (the game's guilds) if you want to be in one. You can also always find people via the looking for group chat channel and other methods.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

TerroRizing
Dont worry about finding friends, a MMO is built around it :D So long the MMO has a healthy pop though...
Sendoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sendoo
Think I might give Aion a try, though the similarities to WOW are abit OTT. I'm not really interested in trying any of the really old games.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
Aion just came out and is pretty good. If you want in on the beginning, I'd say get that one.
Suikojin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Suikojin
Member since 2005 • 333 Posts

Aion is great! I've been playing it since the beta and I love it! So far I haven't had to make a group so if you love to solo this game will not force you into groups right away. Although if you like groups you'd have no problem finding others to help you on your way also. The interface is much like WoW so if you are familar with that then you should be set. The visuals are amazing! I love the character design options and the armor/weapons are drool worthy.

So yeah, I am recommending Aion.

k0r3aN_pR1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 k0r3aN_pR1d3
Member since 2005 • 2148 Posts
Aion is Great. C9 is also awesome, and there is Blade and Soul coming out. And Tera looks beastly. But the latter games have yet to come to America :(
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

[QUOTE="SpaceMoose"]

This.

RK-Mara

I disagree.. these are slight inconveniences compared to the fact that you're playing a fresh game on a fresh server.. If you wait a few months or a year, the community is already completely saturated by that time. I think the BEST time to play MMO's is at launch.

Anyway, Aion's doing pretty good... the game has already been out for a year so it's fairly polished, the way they localized it is good.. right now there is occasional lag, and if you want to play right away in the evenings, well.. you can't. I waited about an hour to get in last night, but that's a very minor issue.

I really wouldn't be comfortable recommending any old saturated MMO to the OP.. you should definitely check out Aion. You wanted something where you don't have to be level 100, well.. most of the server I'm on is in the teens right now, with a handful of 20's.

TerroRizing

Feel free to join us :) I'm playing with a few people in a very small guild, but they're all good guys. Elyos on the Azphel server.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"][QUOTE="RK-Mara"][QUOTE="SpaceMoose"]

This.

I disagree.. these are slight inconveniences compared to the fact that you're playing a fresh game on a fresh server.. If you wait a few months or a year, the community is already completely saturated by that time. I think the BEST time to play MMO's is at launch. Anyway, Aion's doing pretty good... the game has already been out for a year so it's fairly polished, the way they localized it is good.. right now there is occasional lag, and if you want to play right away in the evenings, well.. you can't. I waited about an hour to get in last night, but that's a very minor issue. I really wouldn't be comfortable recommending any old saturated MMO to the OP.. you should definitely check out Aion. You wanted something where you don't have to be level 100, well.. most of the server I'm on is in the teens right now, with a handful of 20's.

I agree. While there is a good chance to get burned by buying an MMO at release (I'm looking at you AoC), the enjoyment of being the first with everybody else far outweighs that. Starting months later after everybody else just isn't as exciting.
zypher_reeves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 zypher_reeves
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts
Try Wow or Star Wars: the old republic. Thats a good game dude. DC universe online is also the best for me.. ^___^ V
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SpaceMoose
Try Wow...zypher_reeves
Try reading beyond the subject line.
Salacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Salacon
Member since 2003 • 1460 Posts

I'm going to add my support for Aion here too.

I'm really enjoying the game and I haven't had to wait in a queue yet (though I'm on a less popular server).

bizzy420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bizzy420
Member since 2005 • 2730 Posts
soul of the ultimate nation. its free too, and quest level you up pretty fast.
L1D3N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 L1D3N
Member since 2009 • 717 Posts

IMO you can't go wrong with Guild Wars Series and Lord of the Rings series of games.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I'm surprised no one has said Warhammer Online. Definitely not your run of the mill fantasy game. Best PvP in any MMORPG, period.

You also can get into PvP at any level and gain exp and level your character SOLELY from PvP.

Sorry, I'm not a fan of these lame MMOs that force you to reach max level before you can even participate in something worthwhile. And spending your life on PVE aspects is truly boring.

Play Aion at your own risk. It's an atypical Asian-style MMO. Very colorful and pretty to off-set the amazingly boring grind that is required to advance your character. Did I mention the gank-fests that occur on each side? And the long queue times?

Your best bet is WAR.

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
Don't bother with FTP mmo's, there are some gems though like Anarchy Online and Eve online.
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SpaceMoose

Don't bother with FTP mmo's, there are some gems though like Anarchy Online and Eve online.Pvt_r3d
Since when is Eve Online F2P?

Anthony01355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Anthony01355
Member since 2006 • 1486 Posts

RUNESCAPe

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts

[QUOTE="Pvt_r3d"]Don't bother with FTP mmo's, there are some gems though like Anarchy Online and Eve online.SpaceMoose

Since when is Eve Online F2P?

Woopsiedaisies I mentioned something I should not speak of in this forum.