Little Guide to the effects of Anti-Aliasing (AA) and Anisotropic Filtering (AF)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dunamistheou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dunamistheou
Member since 2005 • 4744 Posts
http://www.thattechsite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58484 Posts
very interesting , looking foward to seeing your final writeup
dunamistheou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dunamistheou
Member since 2005 • 4744 Posts
This is my main complaint with consoles, is that there is a major lack of anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing. It's not that they cannot do this, but for some reason developers just don't use it.
ddr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 ddr
Member since 2003 • 177 Posts

Thats interesting, now you can post pics of games with temporal and adaptive(multi sampling-super sampling) AA (or however its called for nvidia) to make us see the difference between several types of anti aliasing that would be cool!

beex215

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 beex215
Member since 2006 • 1198 Posts
good job.

hopefully this will help sum of the noobies out.

chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#9 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
Great job :)
1Lonehawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 1Lonehawk
Member since 2005 • 873 Posts
This thread with its examples just proves what I've said all along. Unless there's NO difference in performance by turning on AA and AF (or even just one or the other) they're not worth turning on. The performance hit you take with most cards (on newer games) is just not worth the modicum of difference the AA and AF make. Maybe it's just me, but unless I'm playing some SUPER slow paced game where you actually have time to inspect and dissect the details of the scenery (like Golf or something) the difference AA and AF make are not even noticeable. It's more important for me to have the resolution I want, the color (even though everything now is 32 bit) and the smooth gameplay than whether I notice the odd miniscule difference here and there. Now if you have a $600.00 dollar card that can handle full AA and AF, by all means, crank 'er up. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Just that I'd rather save my money, get a card that can do max settings "without" AA and AF than to double the price of my comp by getting a card that can do max settings "with" AA and AF.

I think it's great of the TC to make and show these graphical displays (pardon the pun) of the differences so people can make an informed choice based on actual visuals. It will really help and take the guess work out of deciding whether to dump a LOT of cash that maybe one can't afford on a card, or going with one that you CAN afford that will do the job nicely, if not perfectly with AA and AF.

Good job TC. :)