LGTTSLT Part 2 Vote & Game Time

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Edited By thehig1

Poll LGTTSLT Part 2 Vote & Game Time (19 votes)

Alice: The Madness Returns 32%
Mirrors Edge 58%
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee 11%

Welcome All, @insane_metalist, @Arthas045, @Planeforger, @sheikhspeare, @thehig1, @nulld, @blangenakker, @PredatorRules, @DefconRave, @phbz

its now time to vote on a choice of three games selected based on the following criteria

- How many of you have the game in your steam library

- Cost Of Game

- Low playtime of the game

Old thread here too see posts of participants least played steam games

Let's get through that Steam Library...Together Part 2

Original thread too see discussion on first game and shows most participants full steam libraries

Let's get through that Steam Library...Together(Fallout:NV)

Once voted we will use this thread going forward to discuss our thoughts on the game for the remainder of part 2.

• 
thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Players Taking Part

@insane_metalist, @Arthas045, @Planeforger, @sheikhspeare, @thehig1, @nulld, @blangenakker,@PredatorRules, @DefconRave, @phbz@zanelli

THE GAMES

Alice The Madness ReturnsGamespot Review 7/10

Steam Page

Why I chose this game - Its in a couple of your steam libraries, and its a few peoples least played game steam despite the game getting pretty good critical reception. It looks like a decent game that a lot of us have not given a chance, including myself.

Mirrors EdgeGamespot Review 7/10

Steam Page

Why I chose this game - Again its in a few of your steam libraries, has decent reviews throughout and a little bit of a cult following.

Oddworld - Munch's OddyseeGamespot Review 7.9/10

Steam Page

Why I chose this game - Meets the standard of being in at least a few of your steam libraries and its fairly cheap to buy on steam.

Decent reception from critics could be fun to play, I had this on Xbox and didn't give it a chance because of Halo, I'd have to buy to join in which I'm willing to do. The game is just £3.99 on steam in UK or $5.99 on steam in US

Guidelines of the thread that @behardy24 created still apply, see them below

How To Partake and Questions:

How do I join in? All you have to do to participate is to play the game at least once a week and then write something about the game here on this thread.

What should I write about? Anything that's about the game! Here's a couple ideas of things you can write about:

1) A journal/diary that documents your experiences so far (in the first or third person if you so wish).

2) Simply talking about your progress so far in general

3) Your thoughts on the overall game play experience. Everything and anything from the AI, the shooting, the weapon models, weather effects,etc.

4) Taking one single aspect of the game, say plants in the environment for example, and analyzing that single thing and either criticizing or praising it.

5) Your thoughts on the stories, characters, quests, and other narrative experiences found in the game.

6) A short guide of how to do a quest or find a specific object. Either voluntary or if find some other user needs help.

There is a ton of content packed in Fallout New Vegas, so I doubt we will have difficulty in finding things to discuss.

I encourage all users to write as much as possible and as in much detail as possible. This is so that we can have more critical discussions about the game and so it can motivate us to post more. The other thing that this thread is meant for, other than getting through that Steam library, is to become smarter thinkers about video games through discussions with others.

What about spoilers? Since I imagine no one wants to see a page full of big black spoiler blocks, you just have to give a small warning that you will discuss something spoiler-y in your post. The only time when you have to leave a spoiler warning is when you see other users not as far along as you in the game.(You can tell be their posts)

Do I have to play at the same pace as everyone else? No. Though it would a nice if we can all play at the same pace, I know that is really unrealistic as everyone's schedule is different. So you can play as fast or as slow as you want. Just make sure to play once a week for a good amount of time (1-2 hours) and post up your writings here.

What about screenshots? You can post screenshots of your experience on here, but only a max of 3 screenshots for a post. If you want post up more, you can do that in the PC Game Screenshot Thread.

Can we play with Mods? Yes you can. Just make sure you indicate within your post when you are talking about the mods.

When do we start? We will officially start once everyone has voted, or by 30/01/2015, which ever is sooner.

If you have more questions or ideas for making this a more exciting and better experience, feel free to ask me either through an @reply or a PM.

Have fun and game on :)

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I went with Alice. I love the first game and never played the second. I do own it through Origin and would love to play it... Once again its one of those games I will get to it when I can...

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thehig1

@Arthas045: I'm still thinking it over myself, currently I'm playing Postal 2 for now anyway.

I'm leaning towards Alice myself was enjoying the first few minutes of it before my motherboard failed on me in December.

However Mirrors Edge is tempting me too, that game has aged really well and still looks pretty good even by today's standards.

Notice I have two EA games in the poll, does that make me a horrible person ? :O

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Arthas045

@thehig1 said:

@Arthas045: I'm still thinking it over myself, currently I'm playing Postal 2 for now anyway.

I'm leaning towards Alice myself was enjoying the first few minutes of it before my motherboard failed on me in December.

However Mirrors Edge is tempting me too, that game has aged really well and still looks pretty good even by today's standards.

Notice I have two EA games in the poll, does that make me a horrible person ? :O

I don't think so these are 2 really good titles published by EA.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thehig1

My vote as gone for Munch's Oddysee, was a tough call though.

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#6 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

Voted for Mirror's Edge, but i see Alice is leading, which is fine too (have both games hehe).

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

I've played Mirrors Edge but I don't have Alive so I picked Munch's Oddysee

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thehig1

I have Alice and Mirrors Edge, and I'm prepared to buy Munch's Oddysee as its pretty cheap. Well I actually voted for Munch's Oddysee I'll end up playing regardless.

The only reason I've not bought it till now was because I didn't even know it was on Steam, until I seen it in a few steam libraries for this thread.

nulld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nulld
Member since 2014 • 27 Posts

My vote is for Munch's Oddysee. I could also play Mirror's Edge if folks vote for it. I think I'd only buy Alice if it's on sale, as I wasn't a fan of the original game.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thehig1

@sheikhspeare: munch's oddysee is pretty cheap.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Arthas045

3 way tie kind of crazy!

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thehig1

Alice leads again

zanelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#15 zanelli  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 1222 Posts

I voted for Alice! Lots of people have demanded I play that game and yet it still sits on zero hours. Now could be the time!

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thehig1

@zanelli said:

I voted for Alice! Lots of people have demanded I play that game and yet it still sits on zero hours. Now could be the time!

Cool, I'll count you in.

It looks very likely Alice will win, a few more votes left though, voting closes the 30/01/2015 at 00:00 GMT.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Arthas045

Well it is coming to the game I am excited for! Either way I will play any of these games.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thehig1

@insane_metalist, @Arthas045, @Planeforger, @sheikhspeare, @thehig1, @nulld, @blangenakker,@PredatorRules,@DefconRave, @phbz@zanelli

Voting closed, Winning game for us to play is

ALICE:The Madness Returns

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Arthas045

Got everything installed and ready to go. Going to try and get some time in tonight.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thehig1

@Arthas045 said:

Got everything installed and ready to go. Going to try and get some time in tonight.

I'll start tomorrow, I'm off work tomorrow with no much to do all afternoon so I'll get a few hours in

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Arthas045

I put in some time last night and found the game to be quite enjoyable. I am going to watch some Youtube videos of the first game. One issue is I do not remember the story line and they expect you to semi remember the first game.

The play style is link the newer Zelda games, which I do like a lot. I just reached the Hatter and decided to cut it off at hat point. The game is really fast paced, and I was not expected that at all... So far so good it seems!

zanelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zanelli  Moderator

I'm 6.3 hours into the game according to Steam, on Chapter 3 and I think the game is coming up to it's conclusion. I'm really enjoyed it, great art style, and very interesting dark and slightly twisted story. Mechanically it's not really that unique, some of the animations are a bit stiff, and quite a few textures are a bit meh but they're really the only negative comments I have about it. For a game a few years old, it still looks stunning most of the time, this really comes from the awesome art style, but little things like the hair and clothing physics also add to it.

I'm going to post more when I've finished it, but until then here's the screenshots I've gotten.

Edit: I just found out there's 6 chapters, so I'm actually about half way through.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Arthas045

@zanelli said:

I'm 6.3 hours into the game according to Steam, on Chapter 3 and I think the game is coming up to it's conclusion. I'm really enjoyed it, great art style, and very interesting dark and slightly twisted story. Mechanically it's not really that unique, some of the animations are a bit stiff, and quite a few textures are a bit meh but they're really the only negative comments I have about it. For a game a few years old, it still looks stunning most of the time, this really comes from the awesome art style, but little things like the hair and clothing physics also add to it.

I'm going to post more when I've finished it, but until then here's the screenshots I've gotten.

Edit: I just found out there's 6 chapters, so I'm actually about half way through.

The game does have some stiff controls on the camera lock. It does not push me away from the game, but it is noticeable. I have about 3 hours into it so far and I think the game is pretty good.

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#25 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

Played about 3 hours or so. I like the platforming, I enjoy discovering more pieces of Alice's past but the combat is really annoying.

I feel the combat is a drag to the experience as a whole. It's not that it's hard, it just feels monotonous.

Apart from that, the art style is fantastic and the world is compelling.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thehig1

I really need to get a move and play this, not started yet been busy with lots of work. I will have time to play for an hour or two tonight though.

I will also watch a few videos of the old game, never played it before so that might help me enjoy this game more.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 thehig1

For info if you not already done this

Go to documents/mygames/alice/alice madness returns/alice game/config

open the file then press control + f and type EnterMaxSmoothedFramerate then change the value from 31 to 60.

No idea why this game is locked at 30fps, I noticed immediately.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

Stickied for ya'll

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thehig1

@klunt_bumskrint: awesome thanks.

We dont post that often so its nice to not have to search for the thread when we want to make a comment.

Apprecaite it :)

zanelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 zanelli  Moderator

Welp I finished it this morning. Overall I have to say I really enjoyed it.

The story was good throughout, but after the first few small twists, it did became a little contrived and predictable. Still an enjoyable tale, with some dark and adult aspects I didn't really expect.

Graphically as I said before, the art style is amazing, and some of the technical side was also quite impressive. There is a great variety of different styles, even within the separate chapters of the game.

The gameplay was okay throughout, with a good variety of puzzles and mini games that break up the main story content; although some of these did become quite tedious. The combat starts off very simple and develops nicely as you get more weapons and enemy variants, that add more depth and tactics to the combat. The platforming was good, with some complex and difficult jumping puzzles. They would from time to time really push things too far, to the point they felt a bit unfair. Some of the strange 2d mini games didn't really seem to fit in to the main story, and probably would have fitted better as just optional side quests, instead of been forced to do them to progress.

Overall I would recommend this game to anyone who enjoys puzzle platformer games, and are looking for one with a bit of a darker story.

As before you can find my screenshots here.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By thehig1

@zanelli: cool, glad the experiance was worthwhile for you, im still only about two hours or in so and im having to force myself to keep playing.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 thehig1

Need to stop playing the forest and actually get through this game now lol.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Arthas045

I am about half way through at this point, but I have been side tracked by WoW............ I am still playing the game off and on, but it did not grab me like the first one. I was really into the whole Alice and Wonderland books etc at the time of the first one. It just was a perfect time for the game to drop. This one the camera likes to get kind of crazy during combat. I will finish the game for sure, just to get that notch in the belt.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 thehig1

I'm still about 3-4 hours in, to be honest I'm loosing interest and not getting into the game. Keep getting distracted by playing Minecraft again with friends, and Fallout 3 for the first time.

nulld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nulld

Alice definitely doesn't keep my interest. I'm up for moving on to the next game when other folks are.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

This seems interesting, I'll probably join you guys on the next one. :)

As for Alice.. The first game is one of my all time favorites, I absolutely love it. But I was highly disappointed by this sequel. :/

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 thehig1

@harry_james_pot said:

This seems interesting, I'll probably join you guys on the next one. :)

As for Alice.. The first game is one of my all time favorites, I absolutely love it. But I was highly disappointed by this sequel. :/

@nulld said:

Alice definitely doesn't keep my interest. I'm up for moving on to the next game when other folks are.

I didn't like this version either, couldn't finish gave it 4 hours I think I was halfway through. Just lost interest.

If anyone is up for a another LGTTSLT I'll run another if your ok with me doing it again.

Anyone who is interested in doing another post and say, any ideas on how to decide the game we play next would be nice too.

nulld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nulld

@thehig1: Yeah, please go ahead and run the next round. I'm in for it.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 thehig1

Ok, watch this space, I'll get things moving soon

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

I'm up for another one. I didn't participate is the last one because I didn't have the game and it didn't peak my interest enough to buy it.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 thehig1

Will start as soon as I can, busy working lately and trying to get a mortage

Grown up stuff :(

zanelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By zanelli  Moderator

@thehig1: Welp if you give either me or one of the other PC board mods a PM when you're are ready, we'll swap the threads over.

Could be worth creating an archive thread with links to this thread and the first one, then linking from the next one and any future threads to that archive and vice versa.

mind442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mind442
Member since 2015 • 6 Posts

I voted for Mirror's Edge :)

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 thehig1

@DefconRave: @Arthas045: @zanelli: @nulld: @harry_james_pot: @blangenakker: @mind442: Hey, anyone want to give this another go, could do the process and pick a game now or we could wait till later in year and pick a game that's in steam sales.

If there's any interest just post in the thread, if there is enough I'll get things started

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 thehig1

@klunt_bumskrint: @charizard1605@PredatorRules: Think the interest has gone here, could one of you remove sticky and lock the thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#49 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Locked on request