Leave Lotro for WoW?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Adam-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Adam-117
Member since 2007 • 238 Posts

Hey everyone, I had a question for mainly people who have played both Lotro and WoW. I've been playing Lord of the Rings Online for a year now but recently WoW has been getting my attention. For the WoW players out there, and for people who have played both, I was wondering if I could have a brief overall opinion on WoW such as difficulty finding people to do group quests with, crafting system, etc. It seems that Lotro has the same type of combat mechanics going on but I'm feeling the combat feels slow and sort of "bogged down" and boring compared to WoW. I enjoyed Lotro at the beginning but after watching videos and talking to some people about WoW, I keep getting more interested in it. I was wondering how WoW compares to Lotro in in terms of :

Population, World (scenery, size of cities/towns), Economy, Finding People to group with, PVP, Story/Lore.

Also what kind of other things are there to do in the game world? For an example in Lotro, they have the music system, Deeds(completing certain tasks that allow you to gain titles for your character, and traits(stat bonuses)), fishing, collecting trophies from "boss" creatures that you can mount in your house, and leveling legendary weapons.

Now I'm not looking for an argument or bash fest between the two games, or the typical "WoW will ruin your life!" response, but just input on the difference of the games to help me decide if I should switch over to WoW.

Thanks!

nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 nimatoad2000
Member since 2004 • 7505 Posts
LOTRO is terrible. wow is declining but i guess its still the best option.
ag3ntz3rox0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 ag3ntz3rox0x
Member since 2007 • 1534 Posts

yes, leave lotro for WoW, play horder to avoid ""MOST"" of the 12 year olds

Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
Try WoW trial, no harm done in that.
Lucifericus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lucifericus
Member since 2009 • 363 Posts

Leave MMOs for good.

Major_9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Major_9000
Member since 2004 • 260 Posts

Go play Dragon Age and leave both LOTRO and WOW...let them die, plz.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

I would say stay with LOTRO till the new WoW expansion comes out but then again I think you might want to travel Azeroth as it is now, before it is destryed in Cataclysm.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

Leave LOTRO for Torchlight :P

JAYSC81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JAYSC81
Member since 2007 • 296 Posts
I played World of Warcraft for almost four years off and on and will try and answer your question. World of Warcraft just hit its 5 year mark so the graphics are a little out dated but still get some slight improvement with each expansion pack that has been released over the years, but I still love that cartoonish art style. While leveling from 1-80 you will have a vast world to explore with many alternatives as RP / PVP / PVE servers, the economy is sorta messed up on the older servers do to everyone having a high level main character that can support their alternative characters. WoW added a Looking for a Group system a while back that will let you find other players for Dungeons / Raids / Quests or Region help you along your way but it really all depends on the server your playing and the popularity of the server. WoW is going to add a cross server looking for a group system either in an expansion pack or a patch can't remember that will let you actually do Raids / Dungeons with other players on different server so it should make finding a group flawless and easy. The PvP is great in WoW you can sign up for Arathi Basin ( Capture point flag battleground ) Warsong Gulch ( Capture the flag battleground ) Eye of the Storm ( Capture point battleground ) Alterac Valley ( 40v40 race kill the other faction boss and capture resources ) Strand of the Ancients ( battleground using siege engines capture the main resource ) Isle of Conquest ( 40v40 race kill the other faction but with siege engines etc ) you can sign up for these battlegrounds while leveling at anytime once you reach level 11 in the pvp tab but some of the battlegrounds have level restriction. Also when you reach end game you can do Arena with 2v2, 3v3 and 5v5 for arena rating and get points buy pvp gear etc. You also gain honor for competing in battlegrounds that can be used to buy pvp gear etc, also there adding rated battlegrounds in the near future that will let you acquire arena points also. The story and lore is pretty great if you read the quests and its based off the World of Warcraft RTS games so its pretty interesting cause the game is pretty much living breathing in events and changes to the world from the lore and expansion packs. World of Warcaft has achievement system much like the Xbox 360 that will let you gain points for doing certain things in game and let you gain titles that you can display on your character. Honestly could go on for hours bout this game there is so much stuff it would be best for you read up on it yourself but just wanted answer few of the simply questions. I still feel that WoW is the only MMO worth the monthly subscription and its a great game but after 4 years it got old and was going in a direction that I didn't enjoy anymore so I quit. WoW info: http://www.wowwiki.com/Portal:Main WoW search engine: http://www.wowhead.com/ Mods: http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/default.aspx Server ranking info: http://www.wowjutsu.com/world/ Server info: http://www.warcraftrealms.com/ WoW Free Trail: https://us.battle.net/account/creation/wow/signup/ I played LotR online when it first came out and it was some what interesting the graphics are amazing but found the game play very boring and the pvp a joke so quit respectively and went back to WoW.
NoctisCaelum52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 NoctisCaelum52
Member since 2009 • 1359 Posts

Leave them both. Wait for Guild Wars 2.

L1D3N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 L1D3N
Member since 2009 • 717 Posts

Stay with LOTRO it's a solid MMO and growing. I am on the Brandywine server though which is really populated.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

If you like infinite gear grinds and time-sinks with no story masquerading as bad games filled with subhuman neanderthals then, by all means, leave LotrO for WoW or as I like to call it, the most over-rated game in history.

If you are simply tired or LotRO try EQ2 which is similar to WoW sans the emo children and with a lot more depth.

pishti_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pishti_13
Member since 2009 • 61 Posts
I suggest you stick with LOTRO.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

yes, leave lotro for WoW, play horder to avoid ""MOST"" of the 12 year olds

ag3ntz3rox0x
.. Are you kidding me? Both sides are saturated with morons.. there is no way you can avoid it.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

If you like infinite gear grinds and time-sinks with no story masquerading as bad games filled with subhuman neanderthals then, by all means, leave LotrO for WoW or as I like to call it, the most over-rated game in history.

If you are simply tired or LotRO try EQ2 which is similar to WoW sans the emo children and with a lot more depth.

Only problem with EQ2 is its population is quite small.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
You'll like WoW more in terms of Gameplay. I've played both WoW and LOTRO, and LOTRO just seemed quite boring in comparison. However, the community might ruin it for you, as the community is pretty immature in WoW. Compared to LOTRO at least. However, just turn off trade chat in cities and that solves half of the morons. And you can even shut off General chat too if it really is a problem. If you ever need to find a group you can turn the channels back on temporarily. Overall, if you like MMO's, I say go for it.
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts

Stay away from WoW it will eat your soul!

some games are just too addicting....

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

In my opinion, MMOs live and die or skate by on mediocrity based on one thing...community.

LOTRO community is relatively small and, from my experience, insular. People are in guilds and they tend to keep to themselves, without branching out or socializing outside. Its a good game, but the lack of a solid community hinders it.

WoW on the other hand has a ginormous community. Sure, with this large size comes a larger amount of immature players, but you cannot deny the sheer amount of friendly, fun, and generally enjoyable players to be around.

So yes, I think you should leave LOTRO for WoW. Maybe not yet, but when WoW: Cataclysm comes out I suggest you go out and buy the original WoW and expansions. Everyone will be making new characters, and it would be a good time to get in on the action.

Hekynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hekynn
Member since 2003 • 2164 Posts
Na dude go to Aion Online way better than WoW and they fixed most of the bugs and spamming problems they had during the first month of launch.
Adam-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Adam-117
Member since 2007 • 238 Posts

Thanks for all of the responses. I agree with the people who are saying the combat and gameplay is bland. I enjoyed it at first, because Lotro was the first MMO I had played, but then after seeing WoW, the gameplay and Raids look so much more interesting and fun. As for the graphics of WoW, I think they look great still ----->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMfr7gEQZbQ

And I am on the Branywine server for Lotro, most populated server, and it is still hard to find a group who is doing the same quests. I am level 59 and still have a ton of quests from level 30-50 that I didn't get to experience, including a lot of Raids. There have also been stories on a lot of game/mmo game sites that are saying Lotro might go down the free to play road, just like Turbines other game Dungeons and Dragons online. Which will probably mean less support for the game and less expansions.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -wildflower-

In my opinion, MMOs live and die or skate by on mediocrity based on one thing...community.

LOTRO community is relatively small and, from my experience, insular. People are in guilds and they tend to keep to themselves, without branching out or socializing outside. Its a good game, but the lack of a solid community hinders it.

WoW on the other hand has a ginormous community. Sure, with this large size comes a larger amount of immature players, but you cannot deny the sheer amount of friendly, fun, and generally enjoyable players to be around.

So yes, I think you should leave LOTRO for WoW. Maybe not yet, but when WoW: Cataclysm comes out I suggest you go out and buy the original WoW and expansions. Everyone will be making new characters, and it would be a good time to get in on the action.

mrbojangles25

No offense but a lot of that makes no sense. Who cares how big the "community" is when a sever can only hold a finite amount of people? The servers in WoW hold no more players than LotRO or WAR or AION or EQ2, etc. WoW could have 80 billion subscribers and it would be irrelevant to anyone's game experience because a server, regardless of the game, still only has the capacity to accommodate a few thousand players.

The game-play argument simply comes down to a matter of opinion. Personally, I don't consider running the same raid instance over and over and over game-play or content but some people do. I also thought the combat in both games was the same slow and montenous MMORPG combat that we've come to expect. The combat in neither game comes to close to the combat in a MMORPG like City of Heroes or even Champions Online.

So, for the most part, other than the mind-numbing raids and almost fetish like obsession with gear in WoW, both games are pretty similar. LotRO has a MUCH better story and it is integrated into the game very nicely. I played WoW up to level 80 and I couldn't tell you if there was a story or not. The quests in both games are pretty much the same generic Fed-Ex quests, although the "collection quests" are much better done and not nearly as grinding in LotRO as they are in WoW.

Honestly, I have to laugh when people praise WoW like it's something new, unique or different. Sorry, but it ain't. The only thing new about WoW is the amount of ridiculous hype generated for yet another generic fantasy MMORPG with an unbelievable amount of grind.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 zomglolcats

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

-wildflower-

No offense but a lot of that makes no sense. Who cares how big the "community" is when a sever can only hold a finite amount of people? The servers in WoW hold no more players than LotRO or WAR or AION or EQ2, etc. WoW could have 80 billion subscribers and it would be irrelevant to anyone's game experience because a server, regardless of the game, still only has the capacity to accommodate a few thousand players.

The game-play argument simply comes down to a matter of opinion. Personally, I don't consider running the same raid instance over and over and over game-play or content but some people do. I also thought the combat in both games was the same slow and montenous MMORPG combat that we've come to expect. The combat in neither game comes to close to the combat in a MMORPG like City of Heroes or even Champions Online.

So, for the most part, other than the mind-numbing raids and almost fetish like obsession with gear in WoW, both games are pretty similar. LotRO has a MUCH better story and it is integrated into the game very nicely. I played WoW up to level 80 and I couldn't tell you if there was a story or not. The quests in both games are pretty much the same generic Fed-Ex quests, although the "collection quests" are much better done and not nearly as grinding in LotRO as they are in WoW.

Honestly, I have to laugh when people praise WoW like it's something new, unique or different. Sorry, but it ain't. The only thing new about WoW is the amount of ridiculous hype generated for yet another generic fantasy MMORPG with an unbelievable amount of grind.

Sorry, you're wrong. When WoW launched, it pretty much took the MMO formula and streamlined it. Complain about WoW grind and raiding all you want. Back when it was released, it was a breath of fresh air after games like EQ. Now THAT is terrible grind. So yes, WoW did bring something new to the table, and just about every MMO after it's launch tried to copy it in one way or another. Deny it all you want, it's still true.
stygiansanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 stygiansanity
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts
I quit playing MMOs (LOTRO was my longest lasting MMO, on and off since launch) and it was the best decision I've made - games are about having fun again. As you might expect, I'd suggest quitting MMOs for good (guild wars aside, being it doesn't fit the MMO norm).
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hot114
[QUOTE="zomglolcats"] Sorry, you're wrong. When WoW launched, it pretty much took the MMO formula and streamlined it. Complain about WoW grind and raiding all you want. Back when it was released, it was a breath of fresh air after games like EQ. Now THAT is terrible grind. So yes, WoW did bring something new to the table, and just about every MMO after it's launch tried to copy it in one way or another. Deny it all you want, it's still true.

Not to mention that the class balancing support in both PvE and PVP is unparalleled. I can honestly say i got my moneys worth out of my subscription fee on content updates and gameplay tweaks alone. WoW took 4 years of my life i'm not going back no matter how great a mmo it is :P Never knew a game could be so addicting and ive seen many people around me end up pretty bad thanks to WoW. Afcourse there is a larger amount of ppl who play in unaffected. I learned my lesson and will avoid this genre in the future :)
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hot114

* i played EQ for years b4 WoW and that was never any problem

* glitchspot woot!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

-wildflower-

so sorry man, but there are like 40 or whatever WoW servers, and the least populated one has about ten times as many players as the most populated LOTRO server.

Ive played on the Brandywine server (the most popular), its a relative ghost town in comparison.

And that is besides the point, only half of my argument pertains to population.

The other half refers to community. People in WoW are generally friendly, casual gamers. Yes, there are diehard raiding guilds run by little German boys screaming "50 DKP minus!" (***swearing*** http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtvIYRrgZ04) , but the bulk of gamers are casual, friendly folks that just want to go on, socialize, joke, and do some questing and dungeons.

So, as I said, population counts for something (whats the point of an MMO without a large group of people to play and socialize with) but the community matters, and WoW has a really good, friendly, inviting community.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -wildflower-

WoW changed the EQ model of grinding mobs to one of grinding quests. Wow, what a HUGE difference and change for the better that was. :roll:

Personally, I'd rather go back to the days of grinding mobs than running 10 billion poorly written and generic fetch quests but that's just me.

Now to address some of the really silly stuff...

The least populated WoW server has 10 times more players than the most populated LotRO server? Really? Care to back that up with some of those fancy things we like to call facts or, at the very least, share some of whatever it is that you're smoking. The majority of WoW players are casual and friendly? You have got to be high. I have been playing MMORPGs since EQ1 launched and I have NEVER met or had the displeasure of running into as many infantile jerks and pompous greedy asses as I did while I was playing WoW (I played on a RPG server too which, at least from my experiences in past MMORPGs, tend to have more mature communities than other servers).

But, for the record, I'm glad the "people" who like WoW like it because it helps keep the MMORPGs I like to play relatively pollution and drama free. :P

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 zomglolcats

WoW changed the EQ model of grinding mobs to one of grinding quests. Wow, what a HUGE difference and change for the better that was. :roll:

Personally, I'd rather go back to the days of grinding mobs than running 10 billion poorly written and generic fetch quests but that's just me.

The least populated WoW server has 10 times more players than the most populated LotRO server? Really? Care to back that up with some of those fancy things we like to call facts or, at the very least, share some of whatever it is that you're smoking. The majority of WoW players are casual and friendly? You have got to be high. I have been playing MMORPGs since EQ1 launched and I have NEVER met or had the displeasure of running into as many infantile jerks and pompous greedy asses as I did while I was playing WoW (I played on a RPG server too which, at least from my experiences in past MMORPGs, tend to have more mature communities than other servers).

But, for the record, I'm glad the "people" who like WoW like it because it helps keep the MMORPGs I like to play relatively pollution and drama free. :P

-wildflower-
You're either naive or a troll. You can't possibly dismiss all of the crazy downtime, insane grinding, mob camping, death penalties and corpse runs in EQ, and claim WoW is just the same grind. You either never played EQ or have some very rosy colored nostalgic glasses.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

zomglolcats

You're either naive or a troll. You can't possibly dismiss all of the crazy downtime, insane grinding, mob camping, death penalties and corpse runs in EQ, and claim WoW is just the same grind. You either never played EQ or have some very rosy colored nostalgic glasses.

not to mention that, if you actually read the quests, there is a lot of good lore and writing put into it.

Sure, the kill 10 boars gets a little old, but for every pure-grind quest there is there are about two story quests with actual meaning. Some are funny, some are vengeful, some are sad...but the majority actually mean something.

I will take "grinding" of quests with meaning over grinding of random mobs any day. Its gives a little bit of purpose to playing.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Leave WoW for DA:O.... :)
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Give Aion a shot...

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#32 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Why do people entertain Wildflower? His posts have become a cliché of their own.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -wildflower-

Why do people entertain Wildflower? His posts have become a cliché of their own.

-Unreal-

Edit: On second thought a blind fanboy like you isn't worth the effort

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -Unreal-

[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

-wildflower-

Edit: On second thought a blind fanboy like you isn't worth the effort

Do you browse these forums day and night looking for WoW-related threads to voice your opinions in? What did Blizzard do to you? Did the box for World of Warcraft give you a life-threatening paper cut or something?
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 -wildflower-

I gave my opinion on two games that I've played (one I like the other I thought was crap) and if you can't deal with it, tough.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -Unreal-

I gave my opinion on two games that I've played (one I like the other I thought was crap) and if you can't deal with it, tough.

-wildflower-

What gives you the impression I can't deal with your "opinions?" By the way, my question wasn't rhetorical before. I really am curious to know what Blizzard or your copy of WoW did to you.

I'm also curious as to why you came back to WoW after showing us all how much you disliked it. You say you levelled to level 80, but you stopped playing the game a while back before WoTLK, so you must have come back to it. No idea why, and also not sure why you would play the game for 80 levels either.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 -wildflower-

It wasn't the box but the so-called game that made me want to jab sticks in my eyes and quit gaming. Sorry, I know you love it but I think it's a terrible game and an especially bad MMORPG. I feel the same way about WoW as I do about consoles and Republicans.

And, for the record, I've stayed out of all WoW threads except those asking for opinions on the game or the ones asking for direct comparisons to other games.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -Unreal-

It wasn't the box but the so-called game that made me want to jab sticks in my eyes and quit gaming. Sorry, I know you love it but I think it's a terrible game and an especially bad MMORPG. I feel the same way about WoW as I do about consoles and Republicans.

And, for the record, I've stayed out of all WoW threads except those asking for opinions on the game or the ones asking for direct comparisons to other games.

-wildflower-
If your profile wasn't set to private, I would have been happy to prove that last record wrong. I edited my last post. Added a question to it.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 -wildflower-

I have a friend who lives out of state and she paid for my account and the expansion pack. She'd still pay for my account if I wanted to play but I don't even like the game enough to play for free.

/shrug

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 -Unreal-

I have a friend who lives out of state and she paid for my account and the expansion pack. She'd still pay for my account if I wanted to play but I don't even like the game enough to play for free.

/shrug

-wildflower-
Sure, if you say so.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 -wildflower-

It's the truth but I really couldn't care less what you think so...whatever...

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 -Unreal-

It's the truth but I really couldn't care less what you think so...whatever...

-wildflower-
It doesn't even matter, you still played it. And went back to play it some more. You did something you disliked when you had a choice not to? Strange.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 -wildflower-

I played with my friend. I like my friend. I like my friend more than I dislike WoW. She paid so it was FREE. It really shouldn't be that difficult to understand. At any rate, I don't think this is what the forums were meant for so I'm done. Have a good night.

k0r3aN_pR1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 k0r3aN_pR1d3
Member since 2005 • 2148 Posts
The combat system in WoW is fantastic. Not even Aion comes close to the fluid combat flow in WoW. I gives props to that over LotRO. But, LotRO has a much richer looking and larger world, and it is enough for anyone even partially interested in LotR to get hooked to. Story in LotR is a bit typical (we all watched the movies), though there are some quirks here and there. And the graphics in LotR are fine.
KristoffBrujah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KristoffBrujah
Member since 2005 • 1860 Posts

Wow = garbage. I played WoW for like one month. You can only do so many pointless fetch quests until your brain numbs. I found myself playing in a near-catatonic state of brain death. Yes, you can completely turn off your brain and succeed in WoW. There were people who had level 70 characters (the max at the time) who had no clue what they were doing; I asked myself how they could have gotten to level 70 and be so ridiculously bad at thinking. Aside from the boring quests and outdated engine, I did not want to be associated with that community; I finally understood why they were so mocked.

I play real RPG's like Dragon Age. And it's no surprise to me the number of WoW players complaining that it's too hard; they've not used their minds since they started playing WoW, and didn't expect a challenge.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -Unreal-

I played with my friend. I like my friend. I like my friend more than I dislike WoW. She paid so it was FREE. It really shouldn't be that difficult to understand. At any rate, I don't think this is what the forums were meant for so I'm done. Have a good night.

-wildflower-
It isn't hard to understand. I understand perfectly well. You played a game you disliked. I have trouble beleiving you are friends with anyone who likes WoW.