Laptop gets hot when you play games?!?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

garcade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 garcade
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

the topic says it all

Skillzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Skillzero
Member since 2009 • 49 Posts
As much as I hate to tell you this laptop's are not meant for hardcore gaming... My advice is to not keep it on carpet or your legs etc... It would be best if you kept it on something open.
lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

dude most laptops only have one, maybe two fans, and their in a nice compact metal tin surrounded by insulated plastic. its gonna get hot, really fast, especially when you consider that most gpus run at 70-90 degrees celcius on air cooling when at peak. incase this in the aforementioned case, and you have yourself one hot box. sorry bud, but if you're trying to game on your laptop, which sadly ive done for years, its gonna get really hot.

garcade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 garcade

when it gets really hot, will it break?

Skillzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Skillzero
Member since 2009 • 49 Posts
If it gets hot enough it will turn itself off. (That doesn't mean push it to that point, however) It being hot over long periods of time can seriously damage it to the point of it being not functional.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Yeah it will reset if it gets too hot. Mine reset after reaching 78 degrees Celsius in certain games...gaming laptops are a lie. I am so glad I decided to finally build a new desktop this summer.
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
Components heat up when in use, who would of thunk it?
kurohubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 kurohubby
Member since 2005 • 200 Posts

also depending on how you play some folks sit it on there lap and play and some laptops (like mine) the in take fan would be resting on my leg. the screen broke so I swore I'd never own another laptop, but again but than again I'm proably lieing and just don't know it yet, I'll get another.

Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts

garcade

Yes, the video chip is usually the first to go. When the laptop restartsfrom overheating, it may already be too late.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

I bought a fan to set my laptop on. Something like $19 and it's really good for long trips. I think I lost the Power->USB cable.

Jimko2222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jimko2222
Member since 2006 • 236 Posts

Your standard run of the mill laptop is surely NOT made to play high performance and graphic intense games, unless it is made specifically to have high output and do such tasks like mine that is a Sager NP8662 which you can only get online to my knowledge.

Even so, for any laptop, especially if doing intense stuff, a good cooler to rest it on that has fans and gets into all the ventilation slots in the laptop is HIGHLY reccomended to lengthen your laptops time and is pretty much required if you want to game.

prowler666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 prowler666
Member since 2003 • 860 Posts

[QUOTE="garcade"]

Gog

Yes, the video chip is usually the first to go. When the laptop restartsfrom overheating, it may already be too late.

yes, but laptops DO get hot. no matter what. especially when gaming. you can't avoid it. laptops can handle pretty much heat and as long as you don't block the airflow, you are fine.

CyberAltair5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#13 CyberAltair5
Member since 2008 • 1346 Posts

Even if you fix the heating I doubt you'll run games the way you want them too.

BladeMaster84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BladeMaster84
Member since 2008 • 533 Posts

Get one of those bases with a fan. Laptops will get pretty hot, but if you're trying to do something to demanding on hardware that can't handle it you run the risk of damaging your hardware so don't push it's limits.

GoddyQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GoddyQ
Member since 2008 • 70 Posts

I had tons of problems with my laptops heating system a while ago, but after I had it at repairs, it's working pretty good.

Just give it some space to ''breathe'', and let it cool of a bit when you're done playing games.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Yeah it will reset if it gets too hot. Mine reset after reaching 78 degrees Celsius in certain games...gaming laptops are a lie. I am so glad I decided to finally build a new desktop this summer.the_ChEeSe_mAn2

That is hot. My Desktop's GPU is running at 49 degrees atm.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

I've been a laptop gamer for about a year and here's my take on it.

1: Yeah, they get hot no matter what.

2: Want to play games? get a stationary computer instead. That's what I did :)

Mtnes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mtnes
Member since 2008 • 180 Posts

[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"]Yeah it will reset if it gets too hot. Mine reset after reaching 78 degrees Celsius in certain games...gaming laptops are a lie. I am so glad I decided to finally build a new desktop this summer.topsemag55

Hes right , my 4870's running at 50 atm . The 4000 cards would post around 80 degs on release and that was considered quite hot even for desktops, but that was due to forced low fan speed. Your laptop gpu temp shuld be around 40 at idle and max 60 at load. Its not that the gpus cant handle it , but its not ideal. Like some of the guys suggested , u can get a laptop fan for really cheap. It sits below ur laptop and is quite effective.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

For one thing it's summer time, I just bought an electric 4" fan from WalMart yesturday, it works great. make sure have the fan blowing down under your laptop, and your laptop should be on your desk at all time. ....and Ive been playing Team Fortress 2 all day yesturday, this game is really sweet.

....See how I set the fan on the right?

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"]Yeah it will reset if it gets too hot. Mine reset after reaching 78 degrees Celsius in certain games...gaming laptops are a lie. I am so glad I decided to finally build a new desktop this summer.Mtnes

Hes right , my 4870's running at 50 atm . The 4000 cards would post around 80 degs on release and that was considered quite hot even for desktops, but that was due to forced low fan speed. Your laptop gpu temp shuld be around 40 at idle and max 60 at load. Its not that the gpus cant handle it , but its not ideal. Like some of the guys suggested , u can get a laptop fan for really cheap. It sits below ur laptop and is quite effective.

I forgot to mention that its the CPU that gets to 78 Celsius, not the GPU. Once the CPU hits a critical point, the laptop resets. The graphics card (which is an 8800M GTS 512 mb) doesn't get above 70 Celsius even during intense games which cause my CPU to overheat and reset the laptop. I may be wrong, and if I am, correct me please.
garcade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 garcade

Man, this sucks

redbaron3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 redbaron3
Member since 2004 • 984 Posts

Man, this sucks

garcade
prop the laptop up on something (like 2 books of equal height) put one in the fron and one in the back so that there is a wide gap under the middle of the laptop and aim a fan towards it so that there is a cool breeze flowing over and under the laptop from right to left. I do this and can make my laptop can run any game fine with no risk of overheating
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

You guys are completely over exagerating. Laptop gpu components are rated at much higher temperatures. Gpus typically don't start throttling till 115c(They are made of higher quality silicon), where as in a desktop they shut off. OP you are fine, of course they heat up when you are playing a game, and will not shorten the life span by anything noticeable. 78C is cool for a laptop gpu.

Do you guys really think the companies are idiots? Like of course they test this stuff... otherwise everybody would be rmaing, they are not stupid.

BladeMaster84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BladeMaster84
Member since 2008 • 533 Posts

You guys are completely over exagerating. Laptop gpu components are rated at much higher temperatures. Gpus typically don't start throttling till 115c(They are made of higher quality silicon), where as in a desktop they shut off. OP you are fine, of course they heat up when you are playing a game, and will not shorten the life span by anything noticeable. 78C is cool for a laptop gpu.

Do you guys really think the companies are idiots? Like of course they test this stuff... otherwise everybody would be rmaing, they are not stupid.

JigglyWiggly_

Are you kidding me? The majority of prebuilts out there especially laptops are put together with substandard parts and horrible combinations of parts that come near to overheating on completely average tasks much less gaming.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

BladeMaster84

Are you kidding me? The majority of prebuilts out there especially laptops are put together with substandard parts and horrible combinations of parts that come near to overheating on completely average tasks much less gaming.

Where do you buy your laptops? Walmart? Any decent laptop will NEVER overheat running a game (unless you tweak it or the fan breaks). I have a friend who has a 8500 Nvidia Graphics card and he can run L4D, WiC, and E:TW without it overheating. The thing is a bottom of the line media laptop. My 570m runs any game. Sure it gets hot, but it won't "overheat" or crash.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Man, this sucks

garcade

Dude, do you have to make it seems hopeless?.... laptop isnt that bad for gaming, mine's still runing even after 3 years of gaming on it.... I put an empty CD case on the back bottom my laptop to get the fan blow thu everytime when it's summer. in the winter time I never had to.

lucky326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lucky326
Member since 2006 • 3799 Posts

Mine does around 50c when I'm gaming.

MrGeo24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrGeo24
Member since 2006 • 425 Posts

Don't know what you all are talking about, laptops are great for games. I got mine last summer and have been able to run every game that I've wanted to at max settings (most of the time). Sure it gets hot but no damage done so I'm not complaining. Also easy transportation for epic LAN's.

diskonline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 diskonline
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Of course it gets hot... laptop is not good at temperature controling because of the congested internal condition. My CORE DUO cpu's temperature goes to 90 centigrade when i play whatever 3D game.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

BladeMaster84

Joke right? I have a vostro 1310 from dell, it's 13inches with an 8400mgs. It runs games fine, graphics card stays below 90c, which is perfectly acceptable. Never underclocks, except I had to RMA because of the nvidia gpu defects that were going around, I was unfortuantely one of the unlucky souls when it hit 115c and underclocked, but once I got a new one always stays below 90c whether it's on my lap or not. 90c may seem hot, but it's perfectly acceptable for a laptop. (This is on max load)
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

First thing's first: TC, all you need to do is take four plastic bottle caps and prop up your laptop with them. Put a bottle cap with the top facing up underneath each corner of your laptop and your overheating worries are history.

I myself game on a P7811FX (9800GTS, C2D P8400 @ 2.26 GHz) and I've never had issues with overheating. If I don't have the laptop propped up on something then the keyboard gets really hot, but that's completely alleviated by the bottlecap method. Anyone who tells you gaming isn't possible on a laptop is a moron and has no idea what they're talking about.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JigglyWiggly_

First thing's first: TC, all you need to do is take four plastic bottle caps and prop up your laptop with them. Put a bottle cap with the top facing up underneath each corner of your laptop and your overheating worries are history.

I myself game on a P7811FX (9800GTS, C2D P8400 @ 2.26 GHz) and I've never had issues with overheating. If I don't have the laptop propped up on something then the keyboard gets really hot, but that's completely alleviated by the bottlecap method. Anyone who tells you gaming isn't possible on a laptop is a moron and has no idea what they're talking about.

gameguy6700
It's not ideal :) As in you won't do as good as someone with giant 24 in montiors :P Then again you can just connect that to the laptop, but it kind of destroys the point of the laptop :D
CalusBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CalusBlade
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
78 seems pretty high, When I play games like warcraft 3 or Maple story. It goes around 50-63, but then again I'm using an external fan to cool it. Without the external fan, normal non gaming use is about about 41-45, gaming would go around 61-73. Note that I have a Dell latitude.
manningbowl135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 manningbowl135
Member since 2006 • 7457 Posts

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"]Yeah it will reset if it gets too hot. Mine reset after reaching 78 degrees Celsius in certain games...gaming laptops are a lie. I am so glad I decided to finally build a new desktop this summer.Mtnes

How can you find the temperature?
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

I wouldn't worry as long as you get proper ventilation. It gets hot, but as long as it's just the exhaust fan it should be fine. I've been gaming on my laptop since last fall and I've never had it overheat.

skipper86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 skipper86
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
My friends recommended me lot of tips to get rid of laptop gets hot issue..... but i was short of luck... when my latop heats up it restart automatically... then a guy on computing forum recommended me this guide http://backspacetab.com/2011/04/15/laptop-gets-hot/ i followed the steps in it and its been 3 days my PC is working fine...!!
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Mine can't play much, but it can go up to like 100 c before it crashes

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#38 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Old thread and in the wrong forum, his laptop has probably caught fire by now.