Laptop For Sims 4 And Other Light Gaming?

MeowStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By MeowStan
Member since 2014 • 55 Posts

I am really anticipating the new Sims and my 5 year old Desktop although quick and powerful for everyday tasks prob isn't up to the new Sims Standards. I also have been trying to find a good gaming laptop that won't send me into debt. I have done a ton of research lately and found one laptop I'm leaning toward and need advice from some more experienced PC/computer gurus who can help.

I am looking at the Lenovo Y510P dual graphics laptop I will post the specs below. But, I will be using this for the Sims 4 only. I have consoles I game on so I will not be using it for much more, I do however want to play it on high/ultra settings and at 1080p and i want to know if this will do it without lag. I know the system requirements aren't our yet but just going off previous Sims I am just wanting some input. Thanks for any advice

Specs:

Operating System - Windows 8.1

CPU - Intel Core i7 4700MQ (2.40GHz)

Memory - 16GB DDR3

Hard Drive - 1TB + 8GB SSHD

Graphics - Dual NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M SLI both with 2GB dedicated memory (4GB total)

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Bad idea, bro.

Eventually there WILL be a game you want to play other than The Sims 4.

Do yourself a favor and get a new desktop.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I have that laptop but it must be last years model it has a i5 and dual 750s. It was a great laptop for the price but it does seem to overheat. I had it shut off on me a few times playing wildstar. Unless you need a laptop I'd get desktop. They are king for price and performance. I upgraded my video card last week cause I was frustrated with the overheating of the laptop.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I'd recommend getting a better laptop with a faster single gpu.

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7358-clevo-w350ss-p-6991.html

Something like that, with gpu's that weak, if a game doesn't support sli you are going to have really bad performance.

MeowStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MeowStan

@JigglyWiggly_: that one is a bit more affordable! Maybe I'll look up reviews and consider it thank you!

And maybe I will look into new desktops I do prefer them but I hate having to buy a monitor and everything? But I will look into it!

MeowStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MeowStan

Guys do u think of the Revolt A960 I've heard a lot about it and for the money many PC websites have it rated one of the best desktops. Any input on if this will run Sims 4 on high/ultra settings with ease? Bc if so I would def get be swayed to getting a desktop bc the price is nice!

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@meowstan said:

Guys do u think of the Revolt A960 I've heard a lot about it and for the money many PC websites have it rated one of the best desktops. Any input on if this will run Sims 4 on high/ultra settings with ease? Bc if so I would def get be swayed to getting a desktop bc the price is nice!

Its better than the laptops, but the Sims isn't considered light gaming really, facebook games are light games, the Sims does need some grunt to run.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@meowstan said:

I am really anticipating the new Sims and my 5 year old Desktop although quick and powerful for everyday tasks prob isn't up to the new Sims Standards. I also have been trying to find a good gaming laptop that won't send me into debt. I have done a ton of research lately and found one laptop I'm leaning toward and need advice from some more experienced PC/computer gurus who can help.

I am looking at the Lenovo Y510P dual graphics laptop I will post the specs below. But, I will be using this for the Sims 4 only. I have consoles I game on so I will not be using it for much more, I do however want to play it on high/ultra settings and at 1080p and i want to know if this will do it without lag. I know the system requirements aren't our yet but just going off previous Sims I am just wanting some input. Thanks for any advice

Specs:

Memory - 16GB DDR3

Graphics - Dual NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M SLI both with 2GB dedicated memory (4GB total)

Excellent gaming laptop, go for it

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@meowstan said:

Specs:

Memory - 16GB DDR3

That is a laptop for heavy gaming, not light gaming.... And outside of the extremely demanding games out there (which really make up a small % of pc games), it will be able to play games for years to come.. The only thing I worry about that laptop are two things.. A) The cooling, some gaming laptops get too hot for my liking (which I why I love my Asus RoG 46vw).. And B) I don't honestly recommend such a high resolution on lcd screen.. Because when the day does come and you have to lower graphics, your going to be stuck at that high resolution always because if lowered it looks like crap.. While it is not the same with a lower resolution screen.. With a lower resolution screen you can up things to smooth out the lesser pixels on the screen such as AA.. It seems though most people don't have my approach when getting a gaming laptop though, I feel I am trying to get the most efficient system with the biggest bang for the buck I can...

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@airshocker said:

Bad idea, bro.

I really disagree with this point of view simply because pc games outside of a few are not pushing hardware like they use to.. There are literally a handful of games now a days that are really pushing top of the line hardware, the rest not so much.. Gaming laptops have never had such a huge bang for the buck as they have now with getting into pc gaming but wanting a portable replacement (or a counterpart to your desktop).

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:

@airshocker said:

Bad idea, bro.

I really disagree with this point of view simply because pc games outside of a few are not pushing hardware like they use to.. There are literally a handful of games now a days that are really pushing top of the line hardware, the rest not so much.. Gaming laptops have never had such a huge bang for the buck as they have now with getting into pc gaming but wanting a portable replacement (or a counterpart to your desktop).

The fact remains that gaming laptops can't be upgraded further once they purchased. Desktops can. Upgrading smartly can save you tons of cash with a desktop, whereas eventually you will HAVE to get a new laptop.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Laptops are good as secondary gaming devices. As primary, not so much.

That said, I would push for a laptop with a strong single gaming GPU paired with Intel graphics over SLI-ed ones. That way, the battery life would still be good during non-gaming use.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#13 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Honestly, I would wait until at least the game is released before buying a system for it.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#14 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

The Sims 4 is supposed to have a much leaner engine than the Sims 3. My wife is addicted to it and all she plays since Sims 2....so this whole you will play something else some day stuff certainly does not apply. Her system is more souped up than mine is for Sims 3, very demanding game actually, esp with all of the custom content. The system in the first post will run Sims 4 just fine....I think it will run just about anything fine at 1080.