KOTOR graphics VS SWTOR graphics; which looks better?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SrpskiVojnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SrpskiVojnik
Member since 2011 • 166 Posts

Personally, I think KOTOR has better graphics and a much more Star Wars-like art direction compared to SWTOR where it looks like it was taken out of a WOW comic book...

SWTOR:

KOTOR:

kyle_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kyle_360
Member since 2009 • 530 Posts
its about more then pure graphics, like animation movement, frames, facial expressions etc...
SrpskiVojnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SrpskiVojnik
its about more then pure graphics, like animation movement, frames, facial expressions etc...kyle_360
Well, KOTOR was made in 2003 so, obviously, SWTOR will have animations that are obviously more fluid than KOTOR's but I was more speaking of the art direction. KOTOR's art direction looks much more Star Wars whereas SWTOR doesn't and so far that is the biggest turn off for me from playing the game. SWTOR doesn't look like Star Wars at all, but like some entirely different franchise.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Like this it looks close, but in game, I'd have to call this question a joke, KotOR didn't age well at all.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11792 Posts

I like them both.

I haven't actually got to play TOR yet, but my pre-order will be here in 5 days. (edit: seems it will be here tomorrow according to new email from amazon)

I have played through KOTOR, on xbox, and helped my GF play a bit on her pc.

But just from the screens alone, I think that TOR looks better, art style is a little different yes, but I still like it. I am sure once I get in the game, and see it first hand on my own computer. I think TOR will actually look even better, screenshots just do not do justice anymore, niether do videos. (for any game)

K4ss3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 K4ss3r
Member since 2004 • 8697 Posts
In terms of art style, I vastly prefer KOTOR. The cartoonish flavor of SWTOR didn't tempt me one bit.
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts

[QUOTE="kyle_360"]its about more then pure graphics, like animation movement, frames, facial expressions etc...SrpskiVojnik
Well, KOTOR was made in 2003 so, obviously, SWTOR will have animations that are obviously more fluid than KOTOR's but I was more speaking of the art direction. KOTOR's art direction looks much more Star Wars whereas SWTOR doesn't and so far that is the biggest turn off for me from playing the game. SWTOR doesn't look like Star Wars at all, but like some entirely different franchise.

Umm yes it does. now actually use modern screenshots of SWTOR .... the one he has posted is ancient and looks odd.

to say it doesnt look like star wars is a joke, infact to say it isnt the natural progression of KOTOR (since its similar but with a new layer over it) is also a joke.

Enosh88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Enosh88
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

that's looks like an old ass screen shot you pulled out for swtor ^^

I remember the arstyle looking like **** the first time they showed it, it's fine now

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PC360Wii

Honestly some of you's idea of cartoonish is based on colour pallete or something? or basing it on old images because you havnt bothered to keep up to date with the game to know character designs have changed largely since first announcement?

Cartooney? yea sure :roll:

Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts

Personally I like the graphics in KOTOR better (even though they aren't as technically advanced), it's not that I don't like cartoony graphics, it just that I don't think they belong in high budget Star Wars games. But at the same time I'm not saying SWOTOR has bad graphics, many like them, I just don't like the style. The graphics were actually a big turn off for me, they remind me of that cartoon network star wars show.

Cartooney? yea sure :roll:PC360Wii

Also it's not the color pallet that makes them cartoon like, its the cell shading, character designs, art style, etc. I could post pictures all I want but if you wanna see a bunch just check out http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/view/screens

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

*referencing second picture*

PC360Wii

I think you can make a female human in WoW with almost the exact same face and haircut. If I still had an active WoW account, I would totally screen cap one. :P

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PC360Wii

Thats not Cel Shaded ... or well, barely.... still I dont see how abit of gloss makes it cartooney, that being said its all subjective, but it looks like Kotor to me ... but better. Im glad they went this direction because THIS direction would stand the test of time unlike a more reaslistic direction.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

kotor 1/2 didnt age well at all, the animations and textures are awful.

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

I think the artstyle is in line with the Clone Wars animated series/movie. Basically, the look of Star Wars has changed because the animated stuff became popular. Many Star Wars fans consider the Clone Wars to be much better than the prequel trilogy, and so the new Star Wars is the Clone Wars look. SWTOR seems to be have the same stylized look. The character's have a lot of hard edges with solid colors, not a lot of texture. Yes, it is cartoony but this is the new look and most future Star Wars content (games, comics, books, movies) will use this look.

Clone Wars example

SrpskiVojnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SrpskiVojnik

kotor 1/2 didnt age well at all, the animations and textures are awful.

wis3boi
I would rather play SWTOR with KOTOR graphics and updated animations + textures than play SWTOR with its current graphics and art direction.
SrpskiVojnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SrpskiVojnik

I think the artstyle is in line with the Clone Wars animated series/movie. Basically, the look of Star Wars has changed because the animated stuff became popular. Many Star Wars fans consider the Clone Wars to be much better than the prequel trilogy, and so the new Star Wars is the Clone Wars look. SWTOR seems to be have the same stylized look. The character's have a lot of hard edges with solid colors, not a lot of texture. Yes, it is cartoony but this is the new look and most future Star Wars content (games, comics, books, movies) will use this look.

Clone Wars example

James00715

I never watched Clone Wars, its art direction...

basically turned me off from watching Clone Wars. I'm by large a realism dude, I love things that look related to reality or at least close to it than play in an entirely fantasy world with stuff I know can't be real and never will be.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

Clone Wars example

James00715

It's pretty far off...

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
SWG's art style is more along the lines of KOTOR.. and SWTOR is in a league of its own. I prefer SWTOR's style for MMOG's.
SrpskiVojnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SrpskiVojnik
SWG's art style is more along the lines of KOTOR.. and SWTOR is in a league of its own. I prefer SWTOR's style for MMOG's. Elann2008
Except SWTOR Is supposed to be the successor to KOTOR and... SWTOR looks like an entirely different game to KOTOR. If you want "SWTOR-style" graphics then go back to WoW, imo.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Elann2008
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]SWG's art style is more along the lines of KOTOR.. and SWTOR is in a league of its own. I prefer SWTOR's style for MMOG's. SrpskiVojnik
Except SWTOR Is supposed to be the successor to KOTOR and... SWTOR looks like an entirely different game to KOTOR. If you want "SWTOR-style" graphics then go back to WoW, imo.

Wow do people say "go back to WoW" like that's suppose to hurt my feelings? World of Warcraft was great but I quit a long time ago in the vanilla days and I would NEVER go back even if they made the game look like Crysis (exaggeration). SWTOR is suppose to be the successor of KOTOR? Heh. I don't think so. Leave that to BioWare with KOTOR3. Now, I'l call THAT the true successor. Besides, they never said they had to make the art styIe in SWTOR like KOTOR. Last time I checked SWTOR is an MMOG, not a single-player game. They don't have to do anything like KOTOR in terms of art styIe and graphics.
Tixylixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Tixylixx
Member since 2011 • 312 Posts

To me it doesn't look like Star Wars, just looks like WoW and I hate it. When I saw SWG for the first time it blew me away and it looks like Star Wars, now SOE ruined that game and it sucks but it was amazing back in the day. When I'm playing SWTOR, it just looks like WoW but Sci-Fi, just so generic. When playing as well it just feels so much like WoW and lots of the game mechanics are copied from WoW and other MMOs, it never feels like I'm playing what should be Star Wars. They link kill 10 rats quests and fetch quests with cutscenes that are just really dull. This game has nothing on KOTOR and is just so boring to play, imagine what they could have done with a Single Player game.

What I'd love is Star Wars Galaxies mechanics like the profession system, open ended space exploration, non linear seamless planets but with the quality of content that Blizzard offers. There were two things that ruined SWG and that was all the bugs that SOE couldn't fix and lack of content. The amazing thing about the game is you could put so much content dotted around each planet and do it whenever you wanted because there were no levels. You'd get veterans playing with new characters on the same content as you could do it when you liked. With SWTOR you're forced down a linear patch and the worlds just don't feel like worlds, everything feels static and boring.

Also have you noticed how empty the planets are? They feel so lifeless and no voice overs or anything to make it feel populated. Why go to all the effort of voice overs in cutscenes and not voice the NPCs? Even if theyw ere just saying a few random words like WoW. None of them walk around either, just stand there doing nothing like dolls.

I don't like the game, bores me to tears and I dunno how they spent so much money on it...

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

Clone Wars example

James00715

TO BE FAIR that is a kids show...

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I genuinely love the way The Old Republic looks. I think the art style is fantastic and the animations on the characters look great. Yes the textures could use some work, but even if they don't ever get improved I still love the graphical style of the game.

SrpskiVojnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SrpskiVojnik

[QUOTE="SrpskiVojnik"][QUOTE="Elann2008"]SWG's art style is more along the lines of KOTOR.. and SWTOR is in a league of its own. I prefer SWTOR's style for MMOG's. Elann2008

Wow do people say "go back to WoW" like that's suppose to hurt my feelings? World of Warcraft was great but I quit a long time ago in the vanilla days and I would NEVER go back even if they made the game look like Crysis (exaggeration). SWTOR is suppose to be the successor of KOTOR? Heh. I don't think so. Leave that to BioWare with KOTOR3. Now, I'l call THAT the true successor. Besides, they never said they had to make the art styIe in SWTOR like KOTOR. Last time I checked SWTOR is an MMOG, not a single-player game. They don't have to do anything like KOTOR in terms of art styIe and graphics.

I think that's the SWTOR fanboi in you, already a raving fanboy even when the game hasn't been released yet. Bioware did say they won't make KOTOR3 since they were focusing all their efforts on KOTOR universe by translating it into a MMORPG i.e. SWTOR. If you like the SWTOR art direction then fine, just know this, the art direction is NOT Star Wars but something out of a cartoon and if that sits well with you, I think that's cool.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="SrpskiVojnik"] Except SWTOR Is supposed to be the successor to KOTOR and... SWTOR looks like an entirely different game to KOTOR. If you want "SWTOR-style" graphics then go back to WoW, imo. SrpskiVojnik

I think that's the SWTOR fanboi in you, already a raving fanboy even when the game hasn't been released yet. Bioware did say they won't make KOTOR3 since they were focusing all their efforts on KOTOR universe by translating it into a MMORPG i.e. SWTOR. If you like the SWTOR art direction then fine, just know this, the art direction is NOT Star Wars but something out of a cartoon and if that sits well with you, I think that's cool.

I'm not a fanboy of anything. Just because I'm have an avatar and banner of it, doesn't mean a thing. It's just RELEVANT right now. I despise fanboys actually. I am also not a fanboy of BioWare. Mass Effect 2 was a huge disappointment for me. And Dragon Age 2 was average to good. If I had to pick two companies I would be a fanboy of, they would be Blizzard and Valve. Hands down. But I see you have a Mass Effect 2 avatar... Hmm interesting. You also have to keep in mind that by going with this art direction, the graphics are not going to be intensive on most rigs therefore many people with different type of gaming PC's will get to play. Maybe BioWare wanted a change from SWG? And going with this art styIe was it. WoW's art styIe is still very much different. They are not the same. Just because they both have a rich color palette doesn't mean they share the same art styIe.

Mind you, I played in two beta weekends extensively. And I didn't pre-order SWTOR until Dec 3. If I was a fanboy, I would have had it down in July like most people. I wasn't even going to buy SWTOR until I got into the beta and I actually liked it. But it's cool to hate bro. It's cool to hate.

SrpskiVojnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SrpskiVojnik

[QUOTE="SrpskiVojnik"]

[QUOTE="Elann2008"] Wow do people say "go back to WoW" like that's suppose to hurt my feelings? World of Warcraft was great but I quit a long time ago in the vanilla days and I would NEVER go back even if they made the game look like Crysis (exaggeration). SWTOR is suppose to be the successor of KOTOR? Heh. I don't think so. Leave that to BioWare with KOTOR3. Now, I'l call THAT the true successor. Besides, they never said they had to make the art styIe in SWTOR like KOTOR. Last time I checked SWTOR is an MMOG, not a single-player game. They don't have to do anything like KOTOR in terms of art styIe and graphics.Elann2008

I'm not a fanboy of anything. Just because I'm have an avatar and banner of it, doesn't mean a thing. It's just RELEVANT right now. I despise fanboys actually. I am also not a fanboy of BioWare. Mass Effect 2 was a huge disappointment for me. And Dragon Age 2 was average to good. If I had to pick two companies I would be a fanboy of, they would be Blizzard and Valve. Hands down. But I see you have a Mass Effect 2 avatar... Hmm interesting. You also have to keep in mind that by going with this art direction, the graphics are not going to be intensive on most rigs therefore many people with different type of gaming PC's will get to play. Maybe BioWare wanted a change from SWG? And going with this art styIe was it. WoW's art styIe is still very much different. They are not the same. Just because they both have a rich color palette doesn't mean they share the same art styIe.

Mind you, I played in two beta weekends extensively. And I didn't pre-order SWTOR until Dec 3. If I was a fanboy, I would have had it down in July like most people. I wasn't even going to buy SWTOR until I got into the beta and I actually liked it. But it's cool to hate bro. It's cool to hate.

I called you a raving fanboy because in part your avatar and forum signature also had something to do with it but the real reason was because you refused to listen to reason and was willing to settle to what we are given. You are trying your hardest to like the art direction Bioware Austin chose for SWTOR, that much is clear. I understand since I am also trying to like Bioware's choice but it's just nigh impossible. I also played in two last beta weekends and all the time I played as Sith Warrior turned Maraurder up to level 15 I didn't feel I was playing in the Star Wars universe but rather in some parody cartoon with lightsabers. That's the sad truth. I probably will still buy SWTOR just to play in the Old Republic universe but I probably won't renew my subscription as soon ME3 comes out.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

[QUOTE="SrpskiVojnik"] I think that's the SWTOR fanboi in you, already a raving fanboy even when the game hasn't been released yet. Bioware did say they won't make KOTOR3 since they were focusing all their efforts on KOTOR universe by translating it into a MMORPG i.e. SWTOR. If you like the SWTOR art direction then fine, just know this, the art direction is NOT Star Wars but something out of a cartoon and if that sits well with you, I think that's cool.

SrpskiVojnik

I called you a raving fanboy because in part your avatar and forum signature also had something to do with it but the real reason was because you refused to listen to reason and was willing to settle to what we are given. You are trying your hardest to like the art direction Bioware Austin chose for SWTOR, that much is clear. I understand since I am also trying to like Bioware's choice but it's just nigh impossible. I also played in two last beta weekends and all the time I played as Sith Warrior turned Maraurder up to level 15 I didn't feel I was playing in the Star Wars universe but rather in some parody cartoon with lightsabers. That's the sad truth. I probably will still buy SWTOR just to play in the Old Republic universe but I probably won't renew my subscription as soon ME3 comes out.

I'm not trying hard to like it. I just plain like it. It's that simple. I like it but I'm sorry you can't grasp that. It's just an opinion at the end of the day. Yes, I get where you're coming from but it's not like SWTOR is going to become that overnight. Give it time, it might surprise you. If it doesn't, quit subscription because I know I would if I end up losing interest. There's always Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, and Mass Effect 3. I'm not going to keep putting tons of time and sub-money if the game turns out to be crappy. I've quit WoW, Warhammer Online, and others. I could do the same. Although I'm not a fanboy, especially to a game that doesn't deliver. :)

Bottom-line. I'm going to give this game a chance. Let's see how it turns out in 6 months, or a year from now.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
For someone who atm has no interest or plans to play TOR in the foreseeable future(i lost all taste for themepark MMOs), I think TOR looks pretty fine. Some of the environments are brilliant. The art style might throw off some folks but who cares? Thats just subjective opinion and worth nothing at all to debate.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Elann2008
[QUOTE="mirgamer"]For someone who atm has no interest or plans to play TOR in the foreseeable future(i lost all taste for themepark MMOs), I think TOR looks pretty fine. Some of the environments are brilliant. The art style might throw off some folks but who cares? Thats just subjective opinion and worth nothing at all to debate.

Exactly.
Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 Raxzor
Member since 2003 • 5399 Posts
[QUOTE="mirgamer"]For someone who atm has no interest or plans to play TOR in the foreseeable future(i lost all taste for themepark MMOs), I think TOR looks pretty fine. Some of the environments are brilliant. The art style might throw off some folks but who cares? Thats just subjective opinion and worth nothing at all to debate.

Well I can't see you ever getting into MMOs again because I think all future MMOs will be what you call 'Theme Park MMOs' because the devs/publishers invest a lot of time/money into these games, and they want a return on their investment and subs to stay in game as long as they can. The days of a hard game that only rewards the no-lifers has long gone.
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts
Kotor and Galaxies looks like @@@ today because they were going for a realistic look. Stylized or cartoony ages alot better.
Bigsteve3570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bigsteve3570
Member since 2009 • 975 Posts
Is this is a joke or have you not actually played SWTOR maxed out with AA forced? It's freaking gorgeous, especially Coruscant.