JW your opinions...plasma or LCD for gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
^Topic, if you choose to answer, please state why.
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 cspiffo
Member since 2005 • 2841 Posts
In general I'd say LCD.  While plasma has a great picture the technology has not matured as fast as LCD technology.  LCD right now has the edge with with cheaper displays and higher resolutions (right now anyway).  They also play nicer with computers.
Red_Sniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Red_Sniper
Member since 2007 • 234 Posts
LCD: it's cheaper, however ghosts can show up.
jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jwat4
Member since 2003 • 1934 Posts

I have owned a Plasma TV for two years now and in my opinion the picture produced by a Plasma TV is far superior to an LCD TV...Black Levels are much deeper...contrast ratios are higher...And as far as price is concerned they have recently become cheaper...50" plasma runs for about $2200 where as a 52" LCD is $3500...

2" is not worth $1300...

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts
Depends on what size/resolution you want. If you want anything between 42 and 50 inches, get a plasma. The better colors, better picture, zero ghosting, and cheaper price will serve you MUCH better than 1080p. If you want bigger sizes, then it's a toss-up, but I'd still say plasma.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mjarantilla

I have owned a Plasma TV for two years now and in my opinion the picture produced by a Plasma TV is far superior to an LCD TV...Black Levels are much deeper...contrast ratios are higher...And as far as price is concerned they have recently become cheaper...50" plasma runs for about $2200 where as a 52" LCD is $3500...

2" is not worth $1300...

jwat4
That 50" plasma is probably 720p, while that 52" LCD is probably 1080p. That's the difference in price.
jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jwat4
[QUOTE="jwat4"]

2" is not worth $1300...

mjarantilla
That 50" plasma is probably 720p, while that 52" LCD is probably 1080p. That's the difference in price.

I know that but what good is 1080p right now...? I mean nothing is broadcasted in 1080p...most games do not natively support it...Blu-Ray? HD-DVD?....Blu-Ray looks fine in 1080i... I guess I really should have stated is 1080p and 2" worth $1300.....
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="jwat4"]

2" is not worth $1300...

jwat4

I know that but what good is 1080p right now...? I mean nothing is broadcasted in 1080p...most games do not natively support it...Blu-Ray? HD-DVD?....Blu-Ray looks fine in 1080i... I guess I really should have stated is 1080p and 2" worth $1300.....

No worries, I agree with you about 1080p's relative uselessness right now. :D I'm just giving a reason for that price difference.
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheSystemLord1
[QUOTE="jwat4"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="jwat4"]

2" is not worth $1300...

mjarantilla

No worries, I agree with you about 1080p's relative uselessness right now. :D I'm just giving a reason for that price difference.

You guys make a valid point about 1080p.  Whether or not the fanboys in the system forums want to admit it, the gaming sweet spot is 720p.  Sure, that tech demo Sony runs on its BRAVIA XBR series TV's looks fantastic, but its just that, a tech demo.

You have to wonder if current 1080p TV's will be able to output the detail like the current 720p TV's do on their sets...that could be the difference between buying now and waiting for me.
deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
if ur buying a 1080p tv look for "native res" if its not 1950x1080 its not true hd
kidkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kidkit
Member since 2005 • 2783 Posts
if ur buying a 1080p tv look for "native res" if its not 1950x1080 its not true hddeadmeat59
1920 ;) I'm a plasma fan as well. looking at the two techs side by side, plasma looks a lot better to me. A 50" Panasonic is dreamy :]
DJ-PRIME90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#12 DJ-PRIME90
Member since 2004 • 11292 Posts
I think LCD's are better.
corvette63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 corvette63
Member since 2005 • 62 Posts
LCDs, there more reliable and they dont have any burn in problems.
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
to anyone claiming picture quality on one over the other is "far superior", all i say is blah blah blah. plasmas have better blacks, LCD has more vibrant colors. the overall quality of picture is practically the same. i recommend LCD right now because of cost and resolution, but especially because of the zero burn in factor. not that plasmas really have the problem now if you get a good set, but personally id rather not even think of it.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]to anyone claiming picture quality on one over the other is "far superior", all i say is blah blah blah. plasmas have better blacks, LCD has more vibrant colors. the overall quality of picture is practically the same. i recommend LCD right now because of cost and resolution, but especially because of the zero burn in factor. not that plasmas really have the problem now if you get a good set, but personally id rather not even think of it.

LCDs have more vibrant colors? I think not. They're only more vibrant because manufacturers jack up the settings before they send them into the cruel world. Plasmas have better picture quality, obviously better blacks, and more accurate color reproduction. And those are all far more important than simple resolution. Additionally, burn-in is all but non-existent on new plasmas.
monoamine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 monoamine
Member since 2005 • 386 Posts
If this was just a year or two ago I would definitely say plasma over LCD, but times have changed and all things considered I think they are about even now. The newer LCDs have much better blacks than they used to and ghosting is vastly improved (assuming you're going high end)
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheSystemLord1
The only issue I have with plasmas really is the lack of resolution on the smaller sizes, and the glare you get when watching in most anything but pitch black darkness.  If you haven't seen it, go to a store and ask them to flip on the lights in the TV section...its disappointing.
jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jwat4
The only issue I have with plasmas really is the lack of resolution on the smaller sizes, and the glare you get when watching in most anything but pitch black darkness.  If you haven't seen it, go to a store and ask them to flip on the lights in the TV section...its disappointing.TheSystemLord1
It depends on how the lights are setup around the room...I have yet to see glare as a result from any light in a room other than natural sun light....and yes that is a down side....
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Aren't plasmas more expensive and generally lower res *not to mention the ghosting troubles*. LCD is what I chose... they offer better all around value, especially later in this year.
jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jwat4
Aren't plasmas more expensive and generally lower res *not to mention the ghosting troubles*. LCD is what I chose... they offer better all around value, especially later in this year.donalbane
Ghosting in a Plasma?...Never heard of it.... Never seen it.....in Plasmas...LCDs however seen it...the response time of an LCD TV is slower than a plasma TV if I am not mistaken... And as far as lower resolutions? Do you mean smaller sizes...normally HD is HD...720p or 1080p....sure a 32" LCD would be cheaper than a 32" Plasma.... But size was never a constraint...atleast I wasnt under the impression that it was....
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]to anyone claiming picture quality on one over the other is "far superior", all i say is blah blah blah. plasmas have better blacks, LCD has more vibrant colors. the overall quality of picture is practically the same. i recommend LCD right now because of cost and resolution, but especially because of the zero burn in factor. not that plasmas really have the problem now if you get a good set, but personally id rather not even think of it.

LCDs have more vibrant colors? I think not. They're only more vibrant because manufacturers jack up the settings before they send them into the cruel world. Plasmas have better picture quality, obviously better blacks, and more accurate color reproduction. And those are all far more important than simple resolution. Additionally, burn-in is all but non-existent on new plasmas.

please back that up with some facts because all i hear is your opinion. In addition to side by side in store comparisons in which i changed settings, i have done an in home comparison between my dad's plasma and my LCD. for starters the image is pretty much the same. you make it sound as if there is some clear advantage which there is not. plasmas do have true black representation, but the colors on LCD really shine. when it comes down to it it is personal preference, but those who wont admit that leave the realm of preference, into the biased one. and yeah i said burn in is pretty much a non issue on plasmas, stop trying to twist things.
creamsauce17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 creamsauce17
Member since 2006 • 207 Posts
 um to the tc. ur the guy who was going to buy the sony xbr and if i was you id just get that.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]to anyone claiming picture quality on one over the other is "far superior", all i say is blah blah blah. plasmas have better blacks, LCD has more vibrant colors. the overall quality of picture is practically the same. i recommend LCD right now because of cost and resolution, but especially because of the zero burn in factor. not that plasmas really have the problem now if you get a good set, but personally id rather not even think of it.

please back that up with some facts because all i hear is your opinion. In addition to side by side in store comparisons in which i changed settings, i have done an in home comparison between my dad's plasma and my LCD. for starters the image is pretty much the same. you make it sound as if there is some clear advantage which there is not. plasmas do have true black representation, but the colors on LCD really shine. when it comes down to it it is personal preference, but those who wont admit that leave the realm of preference, into the biased one. and yeah i said burn in is pretty much a non issue on plasmas, stop trying to twist things.

How can I back it up with facts without physically showing you? "Vibrancy" is not a measurable quantity. Most likely, it's a combination of the color and backlight settings on that LCD being set too high. There is no such thing as "vibrancy." Either the colors are true to the source video signal, or they are not, and the only way to determine that is by calibration with three-color filters and a calibration DVD outputting a color pattern. If you like overbright colors, that's fine, but I prefer to watch movies as their directors intended them. And you said burn-in was a factor in your choice of LCD over plasma. That automatically implies that you do NOT think it's "pretty much a non-issue."
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheSystemLord1
um to the tc. ur the guy who was going to buy the sony xbr and if i was you id just get that.creamsauce17

Yeah I know, this is more of a general hardware discussion question that many like to ask.  Personally, I'm all LCD but see the benefits of Plasma.  Oh, and I've "ordered" quite a few TV's the last few months :P I always chicken out...

HDTV is just killing me.  Can't find one that is just PERFECT you know?

The XBR has those clouding issues really bad...the LNS-95D and LNS-96D series aren't as sharp looking as the XBR...its just so retarded...