Just resubscribed to SWTOR and after all the hype I have to say....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

It's a pretty dang nice game. I took a break because to be honest at first it made me want to go back to WoW for some reason...of course I had not played WoW in about 8 months.

But now I'm back to TOR and with all the hype gone and the launch being a thing of the past I have to say I really like this game. Not perfect but dang good game over all.

Just my opinion....

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Would like to play but it's way too expensive.

$60 + $15/month, I'd have to spend $100 just to review it properly.

And god knows expansions etc at $40 a pop like WoW.

They're trying to be a WoW killer and I think in the end that's what this is, a wow killer.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BSC14

They're trying to be a WoW killer and I think in the end that's what this is, a wow killer.

ZombieKiller7

$15 only if you keep playing after the first month....no expansions just yet. All the added content is free so far and theya re adding a crap load of stuff.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

People here hate it because

A) It's Popular.

B) Made by BioWare.

C) It's not Guild Wars 2

D) They wanted a brand new game to be as polished as an 8 year old game. (Dosen't happen)

I love the game.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

A) It's Popular.

B) Made by BioWare.

C) It's not Guild Wars 2

D) They wanted a brand new game to be as polished as an 8 year old game. (Dosen't happen)

I love the game.

HyperWarlock

E)Pc exclusiveness, well the system wars ppl hate it b.c of that.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

is there a free trial out for it? i want to play it but not buy a new copy and end up not even liking it.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HyperWarlock

is there a free trial out for it? i want to play it but not buy a new copy and end up not even liking it.

Flubbbs

Yeah, a current subscriber has to invite you though. Ask the OP. My Subscription isn't currently active. (Will be by the end of the week)

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

A) It's Popular.

B) Made by BioWare.

C) It's not Guild Wars 2

I love the game.

HyperWarlock

Or maybe some people simply think that it's an average, by the numbers MMOPRG. Nah, that couldn't be it at all. :roll:

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

A) It's Popular.

B) Made by BioWare.

C) It's not Guild Wars 2

I love the game.

-wildflower-

Or maybe some people simply think that it's an average, by the numbers MMOPRG. Nah, that couldn't be it at all. :roll:

I really don't know what to think anymore. Some here say the game is failing, while I read reports and reviews saying it's getting better and better: http://games.on.net/article/15083/Star_Wars_The_Old_Republic_Dev_Team_Swelled_to_570_Personnel
cboyuno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 cboyuno
Member since 2007 • 647 Posts

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

A) It's Popular.

B) Made by BioWare.

C) It's not Guild Wars 2

I love the game.

-wildflower-

I agree. It's not that engaging.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BSC14

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

A) It's Popular.

B) Made by BioWare.

C) It's not Guild Wars 2

I love the game.

-wildflower-

Not everyone is going to love any game and the numbers are pretty good for a new mmo. Plus they are adding a lot of new content....the game is only getting better. Still not everyone is going to love it.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HyperWarlock

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

A) It's Popular.

B) Made by BioWare.

C) It's not Guild Wars 2

I love the game.

-wildflower-

I meant most people. Obviously somepeople dislike it for their own reasons. Should have mentioned that.

*EDIT* for the record, the game is meant to be played with friends. Not alone which a lot of people seem to think it is.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Not everyone is going to love any game and the numbers are pretty good for a new mmo. Plus they are adding a lot of new content....the game is only getting better. Still not everyone is going to love it.

BSC14

I couldn't agree more. Not everyone is going to like the game (or any game for that matter). A perfect example is: you think the game is getting better and I don't think that it is and that's fine. Opinions differ. I recently quit and you recently resubscribed. Again, it's all good.

I just get annoyed at the simplistic, childish arguments that get tossed around here. Such as, if you don't like ToR you must just be a "hater" or a WoW/Guild Wars 2 fan, etc., etc., blah, blah, blah...

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BSC14

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

-wildflower-

I couldn't agree more. Not everyone is going to like the game (or any game for that matter). A perfect example is: you think the game is getting better and I don't think that it is and that's fine. Opinions differ. I recently quit and you recently resubscribed. Again, it's all good.

I just get annoyed at the simplistic, childish arguments that get tossed around here. Such as, if you don't like ToR you must just be a "hater" or a WoW/Guild Wars 2 fan, etc., etc., blah, blah, blah...

Well they seem to be putting time and money into it and not just sitting on it the way it is. So to me it is getting better plus I think I over hyped it to myself at launch and now can enjoy it for what it is and not what I thought it should have been.

LeadnSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LeadnSteel
Member since 2009 • 371 Posts

There are some expansions and a patch comming soon to improve it with more content. I think it is a decent game, but the visuals are dated, and the combat feels slow.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HyperWarlock

There are some expansions and a patch comming soon to improve it with more content. I think it is a decent game, but the visuals are dated, and the combat feels slow.

LeadnSteel

I don't think any expansions have been announced yet. The visuals are dated so it can run on most computers.

Grimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Grimlim
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts

I hate the game. It's not guild wars 2.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#18 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

A) It's Popular.

B) Made by BioWare.

C) It's not Guild Wars 2

I love the game.

HyperWarlock
Why do you insist on invalidating other's opinions about this game? Some people don't like ice cream; some pizza; others chocolate; some Christmas; others VIDEO GAMES....OMG!!! I for one think they're nuts, but I am not going to make up some conspiracy to invalidate their dislike for something I like. Sometimes people just are not going to think what you think is all that.....is in fact all that. I don't expect you to hate it, just don't expect me to love it. imo SWTOR is not all that. I got bored pretty fast, I enjoyed the main storyline but hated all the boring crap quests I had to do in between just to continue the story. More so than not the "decisions" you made changed the next line from the NPC, not the actual outcome of the quest or story. I typically like to pvp more than pve in MMO's, but have never experienced such terrible pvp in my life, and I have been at this since UO. Yet some people love it, go figure. So there are my reasons for not liking this game, none of which included the popularity, Bioware, or Guild Wars 2. Interesting that you seem to do the same thing with GW2 as you claim everyone else is with SWTOR.......
BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BSC14

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

A) It's Popular.

B) Made by BioWare.

C) It's not Guild Wars 2

I love the game.

vfibsux

Why do you insist on invalidating other's opinions about this game?......

Well I think there is "some" truth to what he is saying. I mean even before they started rolling out the betas people had already started calling it crap and saying it was a WoW clone. And of course you got the group of people who were all "it's no GW2" as if they had even played GW2 at the time. And then there are always the people who have to hate whats the most popular at the time. And there were a lot of people who were crying about things WoW had thatTOR didn't....and most of those features took WoW years to get.

Now these reasons are not why everyone disliked it but there is some truth to his statment. Still some people just don't care for it.....it's an opinion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

A) It's Popular.

B) Made by BioWare.

C) It's not Guild Wars 2

I love the game.

vfibsux
Why do you insist on invalidating other's opinions about this game? Some people don't like ice cream; some pizza; others chocolate; some Christmas; others VIDEO GAMES....OMG!!! I for one think they're nuts, but I am not going to make up some conspiracy to invalidate their dislike for something I like. Sometimes people just are not going to think what you think is all that.....is in fact all that. I don't expect you to hate it, just don't expect me to love it. imo SWTOR is not all that. I got bored pretty fast, I enjoyed the main storyline but hated all the boring crap quests I had to do in between just to continue the story. More so than not the "decisions" you made changed the next line from the NPC, not the actual outcome of the quest or story. I typically like to pvp more than pve in MMO's, but have never experienced such terrible pvp in my life, and I have been at this since UO. Yet some people love it, go figure. So there are my reasons for not liking this game, none of which included the popularity, Bioware, or Guild Wars 2. Interesting that you seem to do the same thing with GW2 as you claim everyone else is with SWTOR.......

HOW CAN PEOPLE NOT LIKE ICE-CREAM !!!!!! For the Love of Sauron !!!
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

A) It's Popular.

B) Made by BioWare.

C) It's not Guild Wars 2

I love the game.

HyperWarlock

I meant most people. Obviously somepeople dislike it for their own reasons. Should have mentioned that.

*EDIT* for the record, the game is meant to be played with friends. Not alone which a lot of people seem to think it is.

Most people that purchased the game, or are you speaking on behalf of every gamer in the PC market? I wouldn't call 2 million (SWTOR subscribers) most of the PC gamers that likes SWTOR. Just sayin'.
SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#22 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Remember all the talk about amazing storylines, huge SW and BioWare fanbase, WoW is dead etc...

Compared to the hype, the game is simply a huge flop. The budget it took to make it, and the "WoW killer" title sealed it's grave.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BSC14

Remember all the talk about amazing storylines, huge SW and BioWare fanbase, WoW is dead etc...

Compared to the hype, the game is simply a huge flop. The budget it took to make it, and the "WoW killer" title sealed it's grave.

SovietsUnited

I don't think anything has "sealed it's grave"....that's a bit dramatic.

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

I just dont like mmo's. Please don't kill me. :P

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SovietsUnited

[QUOTE="SovietsUnited"]

BSC14

It's true. Same as Aion, Age of Conan, RIFT, Tabula Rasa, DC Universe et cetera.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

[QUOTE="SovietsUnited"]

BSC14

Your really off base here..They only needed 200k members to survive..They have that and more..Im still having loads of fun in my guild..We raided for the first time last night nad had a great time...Got a epic purple lightsaber..Jedi council my guild has survived..Making major friends around mind trick..On the jedi side..Any yall want to join send me a tell..Its a lot of fun..Dont listen to this guys talk about the game dying..Its far from dead..Lot of people still play the game..

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SovietsUnited

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

[QUOTE="SovietsUnited"]

Gladestone1

Your really off base here..They only needed 200k members to survive..They have that and more..Im still having loads of fun in my guild..We raided for the first time last night nad had a great time...Got a epic purple lightsaber..Jedi council my guild has survived..Making major friends around mind trick..On the jedi side..Any yall want to join send me a tell..Its a lot of fun..Dont listen to this guys talk about the game dying..Its far from dead..Lot of people still play the game..

Yeah, kinda like LoTRO or D&D Online - living in the shadow of WoW :cool:

It's a flop

Especially when you take in mind the development costs -$150 million and $200 million xD

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BSC14

[QUOTE="Gladestone1"]

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

SovietsUnited

It's a flop

Especially when you take in mind the development costs -$150 million and $200 million xD

I believe SWTOR is holding 1.7 million right now so it's doing very well for a new mmo. And with all the content they are adding they will probably get a lot of new players and returning one s as well.

It's nothing like LOTRO or D&D.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SovietsUnited

[QUOTE="SovietsUnited"]

[QUOTE="Gladestone1"]

BSC14

It's a flop

I believe SWTOR is holding 1.7 million right now so it's doing very well for a new mmo. And with all the content they are adding they will probably get a lot of new players and returning one s as well.

You're right. It's doing very well. I fail at statistics.

It's not a COMPLETE flop, as I ignorantly pointed out earlier. But it failed to match it's claims and hype as a WoW killer.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 vfibsux

[QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

A) It's Popular.

B) Made by BioWare.

C) It's not Guild Wars 2

I love the game.

BSC14

Why do you insist on invalidating other's opinions about this game?......

Well I think there is "some" truth to what he is saying. I mean even before they started rolling out the betas people had already started calling it crap and saying it was a WoW clone. And of course you got the group of people who were all "it's no GW2" as if they had even played GW2 at the time. And then there are always the people who have to hate whats the most popular at the time. And there were a lot of people who were crying about things WoW had thatTOR didn't....and most of those features took WoW years to get.

Now these reasons are not why everyone disliked it but there is some truth to his statment. Still some people just don't care for it.....it's an opinion.

So since when does having "some truth to a statement" warrant making blanket accusations? I do see he already acknowledged he should not have done that, but he still said "most" which I do not buy. The people trolling SWTOR likely never bought it or played it, those of us who put up money and quit obviously did not do so because Bioware made it. That makes no sense.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 vfibsux

[QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="HyperWarlock"] So when does having "some truth to a statement" warrant making blanket accusations? I do see he already acknowledged he should not have done that, but he still said "most" which I do not buy. The people trolling SWTOR likely never bought it or played it, those of us who put up money and quit obviously did not do so because Bioware made it. That makes no sense.[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

A) It's Popular.

B) Made by BioWare.

C) It's not Guild Wars 2

I love the game.

BSC14

HOW CAN PEOPLE NOT LIKE ICE-CREAM !!!!!! For the Love of Sauron !!!

Right???

Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Alx1231
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

[QUOTE="SovietsUnited"]

It's a flop

SovietsUnited

It's not a COMPLETE flop, as I ignorantly pointed out earlier. But it failed to match it's claims and hype as a WoW killer.

Not exactly. You see it didn't fail to match it's claims at all because it never claimed to be a WoW killer. The online communities claimed it was but come, no rational human being can really believe that you can kill WoW in the first couple of months after launch. Be realistic here, the thing thats going to kill WoW is it's age, simple as that. Sure, games like Guild Wars2 and SWTOR are going to cut into their playerbase but no MMO will kill WoW.... It will take more than one single game to make 10 million players disappear...
SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

Glad you gave it another try, it is an awesome game. It will also be much better after the new update in April.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

The haters here(who haven't even played it) hate it because

A) It's Popular.

B) Made by BioWare.

C) It's not Guild Wars 2

I love the game.

HyperWarlock

Sort of fixed the title.

I do understand some people hate it but Hyperwarlock has it spot on. Even before the beta was released people were blasting about why it's a terrible game, won't be successful and they want it to fail because "it's a wow clone". There's only so many ways to differentiate the Holy Trinity gameplay system. At least on ToR they added a seriously good story-driven twist and made it much more open to soloing and made it far better to play with friends even on single player quests.

Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Alx1231
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

The haters here(who haven't even played it) hate it because

A) It's Popular.

B) Made by BioWare.

C) It's not Guild Wars 2

I love the game.

JohnF111

Sort of fixed the title.

I do understand some people hate it but Hyperwarlock has it spot on. Even before the beta was released people were blasting about why it's a terrible game, won't be successful and they want it to fail because "it's a wow clone". There's only so many ways to differentiate the Holy Trinity gameplay system. At least on ToR they added a seriously good story-driven twist and made it much more open to soloing and made it far better to play with friends even on single player quests.

Don't forget the people who hate it because they wanted a stand alone single player KoToR 3 :D
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11790 Posts

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

[QUOTE="SovietsUnited"]

It's a flop

SovietsUnited

I would like to see the game that has actually came anywhere close to meeting its own hype... Cause in the past several years, I have yet to see it. Sure there are great games, but the hype machine hurts them more than helps them. The sooner more people realize that, the sooner more people will have fun just playing these games.

Its not a flop, its doing well, and it has nice improvements for it already planned, only some of which have been announced.

But if you compare every MMO to WOW, no matter how great that new mmo may be, you will be disappointed on some level to some extent.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FelipeInside
FOR CHRIST's SAKE !!! It was never meant to KILL WoW. This "WoW Killer" tag is just a title that gamers put on. Companies know that NOTHING will kill WoW except WoW itself. They just wish for a healthy population and to at least recover the costs of making the game. SWTOR has 1.7 million subs and climbing, it has achieved what it set out to do.
cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

ZombieKiller7

They're not trying to be a WoW killer, they gave a quote last year that they expect a modest amount of numbers to remain steady and don't expect to topple WoW.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HyperWarlock

[QUOTE="Gladestone1"]

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

SovietsUnited

It's a flop

You know nothing about economics if you think it has flopped. The game has already made profit. If it failed right now the game would have been a small succsess with box sales and 1 month subs alone.

Do you think the word 'flop' means that people don't like it?

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts

I have two level 50's and I still enjoy the game. The PvP is the most balanced I;ve seen this eraly on. The PvE content is really fun, although a bit too easy. If they up the difficulty a bit the game will really come into it's own. Compared to other newly released MMOs it's much better. For fans of theme park MMOs it's a great buy.

lightingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 lightingbird
Member since 2004 • 143 Posts

I loved the game leveling up.

Although at end game, the pvp was a joke. Sure it was fun but pointless and the drop system the worse I've ever seen in any mmo. I've played a lot of mmos to end game and I was really pumped about this one but it was just not all that great in regards to the pvp. As far balance, horrible. May as well just make a healer and you can do it all.

I'm waiting for GW2 and reinstalling Aion to give it another try as I type this.

I know this game was at 1.7 mil a month ago but a lot of people left since then. I'd love to know the actual numbers now.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

A) It's Popular.

B) Made by BioWare.

C) It's not Guild Wars 2

I love the game.

HyperWarlock
Yea there is no one here who just thinks it is a bad game and doesn't like it :roll:
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
I'm not a fan of Star Wars... You can add that to the list of reason why people "hate" it.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FelipeInside
I'm not a fan of Star Wars... You can add that to the list of reason why people "hate" it.trastamad03
That sometimes doesn't matter. For example I've never been a fan of Warhammer, but I loved their strategy games and Space Marine Third Person Shooter....
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="trastamad03"]I'm not a fan of Star Wars... You can add that to the list of reason why people "hate" it.FelipeInside
That sometimes doesn't matter. For example I've never been a fan of Warhammer, but I loved their strategy games and Space Marine Third Person Shooter....

You guys are BOTH right in your arguments. Never been a fan of the Star Wars games, except for Rogue Squadron and KOTOR, but I love the movies. Different strokes.
gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

[QUOTE="SovietsUnited"]

[QUOTE="Gladestone1"]

HyperWarlock

It's a flop

You know nothing about economics if you think it has flopped. The game has already made profit. If it failed right now the game would have been a small succsess with box sales and 1 month subs alone.

Yeah I didn't realize 1.7 million subscribers is considered a flop now of days. Means no game is doing very well right now other then WoW :/. The stupidity of some people still blows my mind lol.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
[QUOTE="trastamad03"]I'm not a fan of Star Wars... You can add that to the list of reason why people "hate" it.FelipeInside

The reason why I put the quotation marks on hate is because I don't hate it. I do like the Movies (4-5-6) and when I was a child Rogue Squadron and Pod Racer were some of my favorite games. I've just lost interest in Star Wars after a while...
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

[QUOTE="SovietsUnited"]

It's a flop

gunmaster55555

Yeah I didn't realize 1.7 million subscribers is considered a flop now of days. Means no game is doing very well right now other then WoW :/. The stupidity of some people still blows my mind lol.

Game cost $100 Million. 1.7 Million subscribers = $85,000,000 from just the box sale at launch (this is calculated at $50 a box, not including CE....)*(Box is normally more than this and CE was above $100). ****Did I calculate that right guys? I suck at maths (someone double calculate for me)**** If so, back to the point. If the game cost $100 million, it has already nearly made that back in the first month just with box sales. Most of these people have already subscribed for at least 1 month.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="trastamad03"]I'm not a fan of Star Wars... You can add that to the list of reason why people "hate" it.trastamad03

The reason why I put the quotation marks on hate is because I don't hate it. I do like the Movies (4-5-6) and when I was a child Rogue Squadron and Pod Racer were some of my favorite games. I've just lost interest in Star Wars after a while...

Yeah I got what you meant. With me SW is sort of ON and OFF. I'm a fan but like you sometimes I go OFF it, then I go back to it.