Just Got a Q6600! Anything I should know?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

srbbnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 srbbnd
Member since 2005 • 386 Posts

Just wondering what people think of their Q6600 and what I should expect. Wanted to get an E8400, but my motherboard couldn't support 45 nm technology.

IQT786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 IQT786
Member since 2005 • 2604 Posts
loving it
billiam83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 billiam83
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
The Q6600 are easy to overclock. You can bring that up to 3.0Ghz without much problem.
OneNeo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 OneNeo1
Member since 2008 • 390 Posts

As long as you have the G0 stepping, I have seen it COMFORTABLY overclocked to 3.6 Ghz with the proper cooling.

I myself have said CPU, but am running it at stock speeds only because it runs great for me at factory settings. Though it would be no issue to overclock because the ABIT IP35 Pro MOBO I have it mounted on allows on the fly overclocking via a dashboard within Windows (but I am hesitant because of the stock cooler on it, even though some have said it will clock to 2.8-3.2 with factory cooler and well cooled/ventilated case, I am skeptical).

But as for the CPU itself, very stable almost whatever you do to it.

srbbnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 srbbnd
I was wondering if I would be able to watch Blu Ray movies. I have a OC 9600GT, 2 gigs of DDR2 ram, Vista 32-bit and now a Q6600. I was looking at some Blu Ray drives on New Egg. I was going to buy one, but wanted to make sure my current rig could handle it.
JSDempsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JSDempsey
Member since 2006 • 1803 Posts

I was wondering if I would be able to watch Blu Ray movies. I have a OC 9600GT, 2 gigs of DDR2 ram, Vista 32-bit and now a Q6600. I was looking at some Blu Ray drives on New Egg. I was going to buy one, but wanted to make sure my current rig could handle it.srbbnd

Yeah, in fact i think your GPU would take care of all the work.

DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts
I recently got a Q6600 too and it's been fantastic. Nevermind that I upgraded from a p4 and anything would seem compared to that. I haven't seen any need to overclock the thing yet, but I would feel totally comfortable doing so, as my giant cpu cooler has kept it below a max of 31C.
OneNeo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 OneNeo1

Ironically the GPU taking care of it as mentioned above by JSDempsey, is actually the weakest link in your system (I am not putting the card down, it is a good card at a great price), so you should have nothing to worry about. Unless your Motherboard only supports a very slow bus speed you are good.

And if you are considering a BluRay drive, there are combo drives out there that will read BluRay, HDBVDDVD, DVD and CD, and burn BluRay and normal DVD and CD, and at a decent price too. NewEgg has them a LOT cheaper than you would expect.

Seriously, should be no problem whatsoever.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
Coming from an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ Palomino, my G0 Q6600 has made my new system an order of magnitude more responsive than anything else before it, especially when overclocked to 3.0 GHz. (I'm not going any higher with this crappy stock HSF, though-load temps already get into the 60s Celsius when all four cores are stressed. If only I could afford a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme right now...) Personally, I don't care that I could've waited and picked up a Penryn chip(the system was purchased at the end of 2007, prior to the E8xx0 series introduction), as any significant differences between my Kentsfield and a Yorkfield or Wolfdale would be irrelevant when later architectures like Nehalem hit the market. (I could've waited for that too, but the next big thing in technology is always around the corner, and thus I'd just end up waiting forever. I have to splurge sometime...) Oh, and your new system should churn through Blu-ray and other HD movies easily, particularly with the graphics card doing most of the dirty work. Just make sure that your media player of choice can take advantage of the PureVideo functionality of your 9600 GT. (For instance, I noticed that Winamp didn't seem to use it under Vista, as playback was not entirely smooth and had my Q6600 running at about 50% load. VLC had fairly smooth playback, but with CPU usage in the 30-40% range. Windows Media Player, of all things, fared the best regarding CPU usage, keeping it down towards 10%.)
OneNeo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 OneNeo1
The nVidia player bundled with the card should do just fine for him, if nothing else will.
srbbnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 srbbnd

Sweetness. Thanks