Just got a GTX 680 will my system bottle neck it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ProjectPat187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ProjectPat187
Member since 2005 • 2178 Posts
hello my new GTX 680 just arrived, my question is my motherboard only supports PCI Express 2.0 and the GTX 680 is listed as PCI Express 3.0, will I lose any performance since my mobo is PCI Express 2.0?
Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts
Why do you buy a GPU if you don't know whether it will be bottle necked or not?
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
No.
ProjectPat187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ProjectPat187
Why do you buy a GPU if you don't know whether it will be bottle necked or not? Silicel1
thats not the question I asked. obviously you dont know the answer. why even post?
Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts
[QUOTE="Silicel1"]Why do you buy a GPU if you don't know whether it will be bottle necked or not? ProjectPat187
thats not the question I asked. obviously you dont know the answer. why even post?

Sorry but buying something that you know nothing about is stupid.
Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts
PCIe 3.0 is overkill now. That is to be taken advantage of in future GPUs. No difference at all for gaming, but I have seen a report of a 9% increase in GPU computing speed, like in rendering or folding. Only two cards even have 3.0 right now, as far as I know.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

Don't worry about it.

ProjectPat187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ProjectPat187
[QUOTE="ProjectPat187"][QUOTE="Silicel1"]Why do you buy a GPU if you don't know whether it will be bottle necked or not? Silicel1

so what, again thats not the question, its not like it wont work in my PC, how about you stop posting because its obvious you are a troll.
ProjectPat187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ProjectPat187
thanks so much for the response guys, except that one troll who came to post useless info.
Avatar image for ClashoftheConso
ClashoftheConso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ClashoftheConso
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Yes. For full performance, you'll need either a Z76 or z79 Socket mobo, [True] PCie 3.0, and a Hyper Threading Processor [like the Intels QuadCore or SixCore i7]. If you're not using a Socket Z76 or z79 with 3.0, you lose between 15-20% of a Kepler GPU's performance. And just because a board has PCie 3.0 doesnt mean its faster - I have a ASUS MAXIMUS Extreme KOG mobo, it HAS PCie 3.0, BUT it's a Socket z68. So It isnt really any faster than if my board was PCie 2.0. It has to be a newer LGA 1155 Z76 board like Intel Series 7, or a Socket 2011 z79. And If you're CPU isn't 'Hyper Threading' like my Intel QuadCore i5 2500k (Gen 2), then you lose another 10-15% performance. It all boils down to the fact that newer GPUs (like the GTX 680), use different arcitecture what really requires alot more bus, other wise you're bottleknecked. The 'newer' cards are far, far, far more powerful in regards to power consumtion and latency vs raw power and transfer rate and quantity. Think of you're old GPU as a Tanker Truck and you're old PCie 2.0 and z67 or z69 mobo as a one-way road 25 mph. Now, Think of you're NEW GPU as three Tanker Trucks @ 25 mph down that same road....can't happen, the road just woulnt fit them all. So you're new mobo is a that three-lane road you need...better now. Finally you're CPU is the Speed Limit, if you have the right one, imagine those three Tanker Trucks on that same Three Lane, but now there going at 40 mph. Now on the brightside: I have a PNY GTX 680, myself. And I can tell you that for all the alleged bottlenecking, that on a board like ours, my GPU runs blazing fast. I can EASILY run ANY game on the market at Ultra settings, modded and with FXAA cranked. I play Battlefield 3 @90 FPS on Ultra, The Witcher 2 on Ultra, with ALL settings on (including 'uber AA') at 72 FPS, Batman Arkham City on Ultra, and PhysX @ 90FPS, and Metro 2033 on Ultra & PhysX @ 62fps - on a 1080p 240hz LED! So don't even worry about the bottle knecking. Besides, in about 2 yrs i7 SixCores and LGA 2011 mobos will be affordable and all you have to is simply upgrade them for that 35-45% performance boost.....or nab another GTX 680 when there $300 by then.
Super-Trooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Super-Trooper
Member since 2004 • 1591 Posts
thanks so much for the response guys, except that one troll who came to post useless info.ProjectPat187
All he did was ask a god damn question and then stated his opinion, your responses while not making you a troll make you look like an ass btw
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonsieurX
Don't listen to "ClashoftheConso" All he said is crap :lol:
ProjectPat187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ProjectPat187
[QUOTE="ClashoftheConso"]Yes. For full performance, you'll need either a Z76 or z79 Socket mobo, [True] PCie 3.0, and a Hyper Threading Processor [like the Intels QuadCore or SixCore i7]. If you're not using a Socket Z76 or z79 with 3.0, you lose between 15-20% of a Kepler GPU's performance. And just because a board has PCie 3.0 doesnt mean its faster - I have a ASUS MAXIMUS Extreme KOG mobo, it HAS PCie 3.0, BUT it's a Socket z68. So It isnt really any faster than if my board was PCie 2.0. It has to be a newer LGA 1155 Z76 board like Intel Series 7, or a Socket 2011 z79. And If you're CPU isn't 'Hyper Threading' like my Intel QuadCore i5 2500k (Gen 2), then you lose another 10-15% performance. It all boils down to the fact that newer GPUs (like the GTX 680), use different arcitecture what really requires alot more bus, other wise you're bottleknecked. The 'newer' cards are far, far, far more powerful in regards to power consumtion and latency vs raw power and transfer rate and quantity. Think of you're old GPU as a Tanker Truck and you're old PCie 2.0 and z67 or z69 mobo as a one-way road 25 mph. Now, Think of you're NEW GPU as three Tanker Trucks @ 25 mph down that same road....can't happen, the road just woulnt fit them all. So you're new mobo is a that three-lane road you need...better now. Finally you're CPU is the Speed Limit, if you have the right one, imagine those three Tanker Trucks on that same Three Lane, but now there going at 40 mph. Now on the brightside: I have a PNY GTX 680, myself. And I can tell you that for all the alleged bottlenecking, that on a board like ours, my GPU runs blazing fast. I can EASILY run ANY game on the market at Ultra settings, modded and with FXAA cranked. I play Battlefield 3 @90 FPS on Ultra, The Witcher 2 on Ultra, with ALL settings on (including 'uber AA') at 72 FPS, Batman Arkham City on Ultra, and PhysX @ 90FPS, and Metro 2033 on Ultra & PhysX @ 62fps - on a 1080p 240hz LED! So don't even worry about the bottle knecking. Besides, in about 2 yrs i7 SixCores and LGA 2011 mobos will be affordable and all you have to is simply upgrade them for that 35-45% performance boost.....or nab another GTX 680 when there $300 by then.

thanks so much for the well informed post, this definitely helped. my system specs are Intel i7 920 6 x GB G.Skill memory 1333 Asus PT6 Deluxe Mobo GTX 285 running at 1920x1080p so just to clarify, I should return the GTX 680 and just get the GTX 580 for now since it is PCI Express 2.0? ill just get the GTX 680 again when I build me a new system at the end of the year.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
your worries should not be what version the PCI-x slot is but what is your Cpu pci-x type wont affect performance cpu on the other hand depending on the game can have no to a lot of impact in performance
ProjectPat187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ProjectPat187
[QUOTE="ProjectPat187"]thanks so much for the response guys, except that one troll who came to post useless info.Super-Trooper
All he did was ask a god damn question and then stated his opinion, your responses while not making you a troll make you look like an ass btw

and all I did was ask a god damn question and not for his opinion or yours, Troll
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MonsieurX

And games don't even use virtual threads in game(hyperthreading)... :lol:

So loosing 30% of performance when not using PCI-E 3.0 and not having a hyperthreaded cpu :lol:

ProjectPat187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ProjectPat187

And games don't even use virtual threads in game(hyperthreading)... :lol:

So loosing 30% of performance when not using PCI-E 3.0 and not having a hyperthreaded cpu :lol:

MonsieurX
ah cool, thanks a bunch man, just want I was looking for.
ClashoftheConso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ClashoftheConso
Nice Chart: Benchmarks.com? That is why I said 'alleged' - the information is simply a relay of what Nvidia has noted. Besides, GPUs ARE used for Video editing and graphic rendering, all of which Hyper Threading apply. And as far as Hyper Threading in games? 99% of them no, but there are a few that DO make use of it. And I think the point Nvidia makes of this card and the HT tech, is that most likely FUTURE games will redy heavily on it. Physx and the utilization of the 1500+ CUDA Keplers have, is assisted by it. *so Burn*
ClashoftheConso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ClashoftheConso
And as I mentioned, without the perfect combo of the right Mobo and CPU, PCie 3.0 has little to no gains over 2.0 with a 3.0 card. Hardware Canucks did that test with a older Mobo and CPU, it isnt fair to compare to stuff just coming out. The GTX 680 has arguably been released before manufacturers have had a chance to release the parts to complement it. Give it a year and those PCI 2.0 vs 3.0 Benchmarks will be different. People said the same thing about 6 core vs 4 core cpu when thethe AMD 6 core cameout (about it being slower than Intels i5/i7 Quad?). Yet here we are a year later and intels 6 core is out and people are singing a different tune. Give it time to mature.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="ProjectPat187"]thanks so much for the response guys, except that one troll who came to post useless info.Super-Trooper

He made a fair point. Who buys a $500 piece of equipment without knowing if it will work properly..?
Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#23 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

^ mitt romney bought a 500 dollar video card and did the exact same thing.

ProjectPat187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ProjectPat187
a card not working properly vs how much performance you get out of it are two totally different things.
ydnarrewop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#25 ydnarrewop
Member since 2004 • 2292 Posts
Fun thread to read through :D Happy Friday!
Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts
a card not working properly vs how much performance you get out of it are two totally different things. ProjectPat187
You're right about that, but not about the other thing. If you can stand a little unsolicited advice from a stranger, don't feed the trolls, and don't call them trolls. That's name-calling, and sometimes what looks like a troll can be brought around with patience and courtesy.
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

[QUOTE="ClashoftheConso"]Yes. For full performance, you'll need either a Z76 or z79 Socket mobo, [True] PCie 3.0, and a Hyper Threading Processor [like the Intels QuadCore or SixCore i7]. If you're not using a Socket Z76 or z79 with 3.0, you lose between 15-20% of a Kepler GPU's performance. And just because a board has PCie 3.0 doesnt mean its faster - I have a ASUS MAXIMUS Extreme KOG mobo, it HAS PCie 3.0, BUT it's a Socket z68. So It isnt really any faster than if my board was PCie 2.0. It has to be a newer LGA 1155 Z76 board like Intel Series 7, or a Socket 2011 z79. And If you're CPU isn't 'Hyper Threading' like my Intel QuadCore i5 2500k (Gen 2), then you lose another 10-15% performance. It all boils down to the fact that newer GPUs (like the GTX 680), use different arcitecture what really requires alot more bus, other wise you're bottleknecked. The 'newer' cards are far, far, far more powerful in regards to power consumtion and latency vs raw power and transfer rate and quantity. Think of you're old GPU as a Tanker Truck and you're old PCie 2.0 and z67 or z69 mobo as a one-way road 25 mph. Now, Think of you're NEW GPU as three Tanker Trucks @ 25 mph down that same road....can't happen, the road just woulnt fit them all. So you're new mobo is a that three-lane road you need...better now. Finally you're CPU is the Speed Limit, if you have the right one, imagine those three Tanker Trucks on that same Three Lane, but now there going at 40 mph. Now on the brightside: I have a PNY GTX 680, myself. And I can tell you that for all the alleged bottlenecking, that on a board like ours, my GPU runs blazing fast. I can EASILY run ANY game on the market at Ultra settings, modded and with FXAA cranked. I play Battlefield 3 @90 FPS on Ultra, The Witcher 2 on Ultra, with ALL settings on (including 'uber AA') at 72 FPS, Batman Arkham City on Ultra, and PhysX @ 90FPS, and Metro 2033 on Ultra & PhysX @ 62fps - on a 1080p 240hz LED! So don't even worry about the bottle knecking. Besides, in about 2 yrs i7 SixCores and LGA 2011 mobos will be affordable and all you have to is simply upgrade them for that 35-45% performance boost.....or nab another GTX 680 when there $300 by then.ProjectPat187
thanks so much for the well informed post, this definitely helped. my system specs are Intel i7 920 6 x GB G.Skill memory 1333 Asus PT6 Deluxe Mobo GTX 285 running at 1920x1080p so just to clarify, I should return the GTX 680 and just get the GTX 580 for now since it is PCI Express 2.0? ill just get the GTX 680 again when I build me a new system at the end of the year.

That was not a well-informed post. It was a bunch of BS wrapped in pretty paper to make it sound like truth. Almost none of what he said translates to the real world in any way.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hartsickdiscipl

And as I mentioned, without the perfect combo of the right Mobo and CPU, PCie 3.0 has little to no gains over 2.0 with a 3.0 card. Hardware Canucks did that test with a older Mobo and CPU, it isnt fair to compare to stuff just coming out. The GTX 680 has arguably been released before manufacturers have had a chance to release the parts to complement it. Give it a year and those PCI 2.0 vs 3.0 Benchmarks will be different. People said the same thing about 6 core vs 4 core cpu when thethe AMD 6 core cameout (about it being slower than Intels i5/i7 Quad?). Yet here we are a year later and intels 6 core is out and people are singing a different tune. Give it time to mature.ClashoftheConso

Considering that there is little to no appreciable performance difference between PCI-E x8 and x16 in many situations, I find that statement highly unlikely.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16563 Posts

pci-e 2.0 wont bottleneck ur new gpu, but ur cpu at stock speeds will bottleneck it in most games. Still, its not worth upgrading ur computer, its already great as it is.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

Yes. For full performance, you'll need either a Z76 or z79 Socket mobo, [True] PCie 3.0, and a Hyper Threading Processor [like the Intels QuadCore or SixCore i7]. If you're not using a Socket Z76 or z79 with 3.0, you lose between 15-20% of a Kepler GPU's performance. And just because a board has PCie 3.0 doesnt mean its faster - I have a ASUS MAXIMUS Extreme KOG mobo, it HAS PCie 3.0, BUT it's a Socket z68. So It isnt really any faster than if my board was PCie 2.0. It has to be a newer LGA 1155 Z76 board like Intel Series 7, or a Socket 2011 z79. And If you're CPU isn't 'Hyper Threading' like my Intel QuadCore i5 2500k (Gen 2), then you lose another 10-15% performance. It all boils down to the fact that newer GPUs (like the GTX 680), use different arcitecture what really requires alot more bus, other wise you're bottleknecked. The 'newer' cards are far, far, far more powerful in regards to power consumtion and latency vs raw power and transfer rate and quantity. Think of you're old GPU as a Tanker Truck and you're old PCie 2.0 and z67 or z69 mobo as a one-way road 25 mph. Now, Think of you're NEW GPU as three Tanker Trucks @ 25 mph down that same road....can't happen, the road just woulnt fit them all. So you're new mobo is a that three-lane road you need...better now. Finally you're CPU is the Speed Limit, if you have the right one, imagine those three Tanker Trucks on that same Three Lane, but now there going at 40 mph. Now on the brightside: I have a PNY GTX 680, myself. And I can tell you that for all the alleged bottlenecking, that on a board like ours, my GPU runs blazing fast. I can EASILY run ANY game on the market at Ultra settings, modded and with FXAA cranked. I play Battlefield 3 @90 FPS on Ultra, The Witcher 2 on Ultra, with ALL settings on (including 'uber AA') at 72 FPS, Batman Arkham City on Ultra, and PhysX @ 90FPS, and Metro 2033 on Ultra & PhysX @ 62fps - on a 1080p 240hz LED! So don't even worry about the bottle knecking. Besides, in about 2 yrs i7 SixCores and LGA 2011 mobos will be affordable and all you have to is simply upgrade them for that 35-45% performance boost.....or nab another GTX 680 when there $300 by then.ClashoftheConso

Wth are you even talking about...

Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
lol at the witcher 2's 15 fps. i need to play that again.
yachtboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 yachtboy
Member since 2003 • 1612 Posts
[QUOTE="Super-Trooper"][QUOTE="ProjectPat187"]thanks so much for the response guys, except that one troll who came to post useless info.ProjectPat187

and all I did was ask a god damn question and not for his opinion or yours, Troll

Projectpat187 you don't even know what damn Troll is the way you throw your worthless words around.... Everyone knows Silicel1 is NOT A TROLL and neither is SUPERTROOPER. So why don't you get your lame ass out of here and back to the noob forum where you belong?
Idontremember

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Idontremember
Member since 2003 • 965 Posts

Yes. For full performance, you'll need either a Z76 or z79 Socket mobo, [True] PCie 3.0, and a Hyper Threading Processor [like the Intels QuadCore or SixCore i7]. If you're not using a Socket Z76 or z79 with 3.0, you lose between 15-20% of a Kepler GPU's performance. And just because a board has PCie 3.0 doesnt mean its faster - I have a ASUS MAXIMUS Extreme KOG mobo, it HAS PCie 3.0, BUT it's a Socket z68. So It isnt really any faster than if my board was PCie 2.0. It has to be a newer LGA 1155 Z76 board like Intel Series 7, or a Socket 2011 z79. And If you're CPU isn't 'Hyper Threading' like my Intel QuadCore i5 2500k (Gen 2), then you lose another 10-15% performance. It all boils down to the fact that newer GPUs (like the GTX 680), use different arcitecture what really requires alot more bus, other wise you're bottleknecked. The 'newer' cards are far, far, far more powerful in regards to power consumtion and latency vs raw power and transfer rate and quantity. Think of you're old GPU as a Tanker Truck and you're old PCie 2.0 and z67 or z69 mobo as a one-way road 25 mph. Now, Think of you're NEW GPU as three Tanker Trucks @ 25 mph down that same road....can't happen, the road just woulnt fit them all. So you're new mobo is a that three-lane road you need...better now. Finally you're CPU is the Speed Limit, if you have the right one, imagine those three Tanker Trucks on that same Three Lane, but now there going at 40 mph. Now on the brightside: I have a PNY GTX 680, myself. And I can tell you that for all the alleged bottlenecking, that on a board like ours, my GPU runs blazing fast. I can EASILY run ANY game on the market at Ultra settings, modded and with FXAA cranked. I play Battlefield 3 @90 FPS on Ultra, The Witcher 2 on Ultra, with ALL settings on (including 'uber AA') at 72 FPS, Batman Arkham City on Ultra, and PhysX @ 90FPS, and Metro 2033 on Ultra & PhysX @ 62fps - on a 1080p 240hz LED! So don't even worry about the bottle knecking. Besides, in about 2 yrs i7 SixCores and LGA 2011 mobos will be affordable and all you have to is simply upgrade them for that 35-45% performance boost.....or nab another GTX 680 when there $300 by then.ClashoftheConso

dafuq-did-i-just-read_o_144532.jpg

Seriously don't even think about it.
Your System is fine and you won't see a difference at all. Keep that monster of a card.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts
Keep it or wait for the 690 :)
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
Keep it or wait for the 690 :)acanofcoke
Take it from someone who knows a thing or two about dual gpu's... avoid them.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="acanofcoke"]Keep it or wait for the 690 :)DevilMightCry

Maybe you've had a bad experience...

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="acanofcoke"]Keep it or wait for the 690 :)Bebi_vegeta

Unless it's free ;)

Idontremember

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Idontremember

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"] Take it from someone who knows a thing or two about dual gpu's... avoid them.GarGx1

Unless it's free ;)

Personnally, I've had a lot of problem with microstuttering with my old gtx 260s, but they were also victims of my stupid suicidal PSU, so I'm mabey an isolated case. Calculating the time frame with a few games with Fraps was scary.

microstuttering.jpg

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
[QUOTE="ProjectPat187"][QUOTE="Silicel1"]Why do you buy a GPU if you don't know whether it will be bottle necked or not? Silicel1

:lol: hes right you know
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#40 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="GarGx1"]

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Idontremember

Unless it's free ;)

Personnally, I've had a lot of problem with microstuttering with my old gtx 260s, but they were also victims of my stupid suicidal PSU, so I'm mabey an isolated case. Calculating the time frame with a few games with Fraps was scary.

microstuttering.jpg

SLI with the 200 series isn't as good as the 400+ series.

Idontremember

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Idontremember

[QUOTE="Idontremember"]

[QUOTE="GarGx1"]

Unless it's free ;)

mitu123

microstuttering.jpg

SLI with the 200 series isn't as good as the 400+ series.

I hope so!!!!

Nethemis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Nethemis
Member since 2011 • 155 Posts

Why do you buy a GPU if you don't know whether it will be bottle necked or not? Silicel1

You must be new here.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#43 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="acanofcoke"]Keep it or wait for the 690 :)Bebi_vegeta

He probably did. I had a pleasant experience with GTX 460 1GB SLi. But those cards were heaven-sent, at least for me. DevilMightCry has somewhat of a point though. If you could avoid them, why not? Go with a strong single GPU that will be able to handle your gaming needs. Two GPU's in sli/crossfire are more likely to run into problems than a single GPU. On top of that, dual, tri, quad GPU setups produce a ton of heat. I'm looking at you non-reference cards, unless you have a good PC case.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"] Take it from someone who knows a thing or two about dual gpu's... avoid them.Elann2008

He probably did. I had a pleasant experience with GTX 460 1GB SLi. But those cards were heaven-sent, at least for me. DevilMightCry has somewhat of a point though. If you could avoid them, why not? Go with a strong single GPU that will be able to handle your gaming needs. Two GPU's in sli/crossfire are more likely to run into problems than a single GPU. On top of that, dual, tri, quad GPU setups produce a ton of heat. I'm looking at you non-reference cards, unless you have a good PC case.

Good points... but usualy getting a second card is the cheapest option for benefits.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#45 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Bebi_vegeta

Good points... but usualy getting a second card is the cheapest option for benefits.

Another good point. GTX 460 1GB SLi was probably the best bang for buck dual gpu setup out there on the Nvidia side. They performed better than a single GTX 580 in most games, and costed much less than a GTX 580 (then, as we remembered was $500, not the $400 price point today).
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
Ohh, I was talking about dual GPU's, like GTX295 COOP to be more specific, not SLI.
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hartsickdiscipl

Ohh, I was talking about dual GPU's, like GTX295 COOP to be more specific, not SLI.DevilMightCry

Dual-GPU single cards are SLI. They're just SLI without using an extra slot. Whether you're using 2 separate cards or a single card with 2 GPUs, you'll run into the same issues.

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"]Ohh, I was talking about dual GPU's, like GTX295 COOP to be more specific, not SLI.hartsickdiscipl

Dual-GPU single cards are SLI. They're just SLI without using an extra slot. Whether you're using 2 separate cards or a single card with 2 GPUs, you'll run into the same issues.

Although thats true, dual gpu's use less power than an sli setup. A lot of people can run into stuttering issues, etc because of a poor PSU