Just beat Rayman Origins using keyboard, need wrist surgery

This topic is locked from further discussion.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

Now before you people say that a gamepad is mandatory for platforming games, I want to make something clear. I agree that they require a gamepad, but I personally get a sense of 'pride' when I beat games meant for a gamepad using a keyboard. I've played and beat countless games which are supposed to require a gamepad, using keyboard. In the same way, I picked up Rayman Origins with the intention of beating it with the keyboard. BIG mistake.

I beat the game a couple of hours ago. I had no problems throughout the game, but I found the final parts 'get away' and 'shoot for the stars' particularly tough to beat using the keyboard. I attempted these levels countless times. My left wrist began aching terribly, but I still persisted and didn't stop playing. After struggling for more than 3 hours, I was finally able to beat it, but then I felt immense pain in my left wrist, and saw that my right thumb was swollen. Consulted a doc immediately, who said there has been pretty nasty nerve damage to my left wrist which requires surgery, although my swollen thumb can be relieved by using pain killers and pain relieving gel.

Its not like I wasn't properly positioned, because I've been playing games of all genres on my PC with keyboard/mouse since 1998, and never owned a gamepad. So far I had never faced any issues. Even with Rayman Origins, I was totally comfortable until those two nasty final levels. So I just wanted to know, did any of you actually face some issue (maybe not as sever as mine) after playing this game with keyboard? Also, in general, have you people been injured any time due to playing a game meant for gamepad, using a keybaord? Do throw in your opinions.

EnderX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2 EnderX
Member since 2013 • 42 Posts

Injured? No.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 funkyzoom

@enderx:

@enderx said:

Injured? No.

Hmmmm.yeah, I guessed as much. i just can't understand why this happened to me. :(

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

@funkyzoom said:

Now before you people say that a gamepad is mandatory for platforming games, I want to make something clear. I agree that they require a gamepad, but I personally get a sense of 'pride' when I beat games meant for a gamepad using a keyboard. I've played and beat countless games which are supposed to require a gamepad, using keyboard. In the same way, I picked up Rayman Origins with the intention of beating it with the keyboard. BIG mistake.

I beat the game a couple of hours ago. I had no problems throughout the game, but I found the final parts 'get away' and 'shoot for the stars' particularly tough to beat using the keyboard. I attempted these levels countless times. My left wrist began aching terribly, but I still persisted and didn't stop playing. After struggling for more than 3 hours, I was finally able to beat it, but then I felt immense pain in my left wrist, and saw that my right thumb was swollen. Consulted a doc immediately, who said there has been pretty nasty nerve damage to my left wrist which requires surgery, although my swollen thumb can be relieved by using pain killers and pain relieving gel.

Its not like I wasn't properly positioned, because I've been playing games of all genres on my PC with keyboard/mouse since 1998, and never owned a gamepad. So far I had never faced any issues. Even with Rayman Origins, I was totally comfortable until those two nasty final levels. So I just wanted to know, did any of you actually face some issue (maybe not as sever as mine) after playing this game with keyboard? Also, in general, have you people been injured any time due to playing a game meant for gamepad, using a keybaord? Do throw in your opinions.

kb/m is best for fps/rts/mmorpg/sim and 3rd person shooters.

sidescrollers, platformers, sports games, racing games etc are best used with controllers.

pc gives you the choice to use whichever you want while consoles do not.

i used to play WoW (when it was awesome) for 5-14 hours at a time, everyday for 5 years straight, and my wrist and fingers started hurting around year 5. but i used a microsoft natural elite (split) keyboard so it really wasn't a problem - and i had no injuries like carpal tunnel or nerve damage. i have played prolonged periods of time on consoles - RDR, fallout 3, mass effect (with controllers) and have had hand pain as well but it goes away no permanent injuries etc... just need to play in moderation and not overexert and take a break every couple hours.

if i'm playing KoA:R, or a game like it on PC, i use an xbox 360 wired controller - just plug it in an BAM! it's ready to go. IMO there's no point in trying to play games like rayman with a kb/m even though you have that choice. and likewise there's no point in playing FPS, RTS (other) type games with controller - counterintuitive IMO.

ps - good luck with the hand, sorry to hear that happened to you. :(

Endgame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Endgame_basic
Member since 2002 • 950 Posts

I would never play a game like Rayman with M/Kb, I wouldn't have a good time.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Yes. A couple of times years ago when I started playing on PC. It turned out to be bad posture, I also use a spare foamy mouse pad to comfortably place my wrist, haven't had problems since.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By funkyzoom

@buccomatic said:

@funkyzoom said:

kb/m is best for fps/rts/mmorpg/sim and 3rd person shooters.

sidescrollers, platformers, sports games, racing games etc are best used with controllers.

pc gives you the choice to use whichever you want while consoles do not.

i used to play WoW (when it was awesome) for 5-14 hours at a time, everyday for 5 years straight, and my wrist and fingers started hurting around year 5. but i used a microsoft natural elite (split) keyboard so it really wasn't a problem - and i had no injuries like carpal tunnel or nerve damage. i have played prolonged periods of time on consoles - RDR, fallout 3, mass effect (with controllers) and have had hand pain as well but it goes away no permanent injuries etc... just need to play in moderation and not overexert and take a break every couple hours.

if i'm playing KoA:R, or a game like it on PC, i use an xbox 360 wired controller - just plug it in an BAM! it's ready to go. IMO there's no point in trying to play games like rayman with a kb/m even though you have that choice. and likewise there's no point in playing FPS, RTS (other) type games with controller - counterintuitive IMO.

ps - good luck with the hand, sorry to hear that happened to you. :(

Yeah, you're right, and I myself know that a game like Rayman origins is not meant to be played with keyboard. But like I have mentioned in my first post, I get this sense of pride and achievement when I beat such games using keyboard/mouse. Anyway, I've learned my lesson the hard way, so I'll be buying a controller as soon as my injury heals, and I'm able to play games again.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

@funkyzoom: You might want to look into hand stretches in the mean time, there are several that are said to be good for preventing or helping with RSI and carpel tunnel.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I beat Rayman as well using keyboard, I don't know what keyboard you're using there but I don't need "wrist surgery", let's just say it isn't Guitar Hero 3 using keyboard on hardest difficulty

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

i do better at platformers with a keyboard, so idk what keyboard you're using

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

are you sure your condition was brought on entirely by playing video games? perhaps there is more than one cause?

also, i always try to take breaks, and stop altogether if i'm too tired, or have a headache or something like that.

hope your surgery goes well.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 funkyzoom
@Kh1ndjal said:

are you sure your condition was brought on entirely by playing video games? perhaps there is more than one cause?

also, i always try to take breaks, and stop altogether if i'm too tired, or have a headache or something like that.

hope your surgery goes well.

Of course, I'm sure. And I never play games for long hours. Also, I was perfectly fine. Its just that these 2 hours of extremely difficult gameplay, that too of a game not meant to be played by keyboard, was the sole cause of this issue. My problem is that, whenever a game starts becoming really tough, I become even more determined to beat it, so I keep playing continuously until I'm able to beat that particular part.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 funkyzoom

@General_X said:

@funkyzoom: You might want to look into hand stretches in the mean time, there are several that are said to be good for preventing or helping with RSI and carpel tunnel.

Thanks for your tip. Much appreciated.

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts

A few years ago I used to play WoW a LOT on a crappy laptop I had at the time. A random month I noticed 2 fingers on my left hand were numb( pinky and index) it went away after about a week or 2( i didnt stop playing lol) but was still a bit scary.

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

By the gods, what has gaming become?