Join The Gamespot Folding Team!!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ps2gmer4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 ps2gmer4life
Member since 2004 • 689 Posts
Wow, this sounds like a really good cause. It has convinced me to go onto my computer and run the program. It's a 900 Athlon. It's nothing that'll burn the internet up, but it's still something
ps2gmer4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 ps2gmer4life
Member since 2004 • 689 Posts
Ok, folding has commensed. I have the team number in, and I am offically folding. Question. If I stop in the middle of a WU, will it keep on that WU when it's started again?
Demo24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Demo24
Member since 2003 • 12303 Posts
yeah it remebers where you are
Cheeto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 Cheeto
Member since 2002 • 11735 Posts
man, only been back for 2 weeks and I'm already number 8. I hope a lot of people haven't stopped folding. I remember at one point almost no one was doing it.
s0matic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 s0matic
Member since 2002 • 1627 Posts
I signed up.

Just completed my first WU today. Running on AMD Athlon64 3200+ (939) w/ MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum.

fnhoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#106 fnhoser
Member since 2004 • 585 Posts
I just signed up... glad to be a small part of such a good cause!
fnhoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#107 fnhoser
Member since 2004 • 585 Posts
ok, i got the program and everything, and im on frame 7/2500... it says that this wu won't be done until jan 28th... am i doing something wrong? i didnt mess with any of the options or anything... sorry.. im new to this whole thing

edit: it just started off slow, i guess, its only going to take five days now
Grouchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#108 Grouchu
Member since 2003 • 7117 Posts

Signed up.

loonylarny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 loonylarny
Member since 2003 • 1168 Posts
Ahhh it warms my heart to see you kids doing good. Anyways, have you guys thought about kinda spreading the word about this? It seems like it would catch on quite nicely with other like-minded people (e.g. other gaming-based forums).
Demo24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Demo24
Member since 2003 • 12303 Posts
yeah other places do it to. in fact lots of places do:) we dont exactly have enough numbers to be really competitive though :(
Avatar image for snowmanwithahat
snowmanwithahat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 snowmanwithahat
Member since 2003 • 700 Posts

yeah other places do it to. in fact lots of places do:) we dont exactly have enough numbers to be really competitive though :(Demo24

you're right, i used to run it under your guys team number.... but then i reformatted my pc and haven't installed it since, and it truly is a good cause

loonylarny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 loonylarny
Member since 2003 • 1168 Posts
Good news boys, I just joined your team.
*viilippi24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 *viilippi24
Member since 1990 • 25 Posts
Just joined your team and started folding, i'm doing slow progress in saving us all : )
scisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#114 scisco
Member since 2003 • 602 Posts
Ok, I'm on the team. My rig isn't a monster but I can probably do a couple WUs a day.
Lumox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Lumox
Member since 2004 • 522 Posts
Join'd up :D
Rasika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Rasika
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts

Wow nice work Dark Jedi! :) I thought threads like this would be gone forever. Glad to see someone taking the initiative.Krall

Yeah..

maximelecool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 maximelecool
Member since 2004 • 186 Posts
seems nice
eXtremeXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 eXtremeXL
Member since 2003 • 280 Posts
this is a great cause...

i should join
redpheonix89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 redpheonix89
Member since 2004 • 32 Posts
Alrighty I joined up:) should have 3 others up within the hour!
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Krall
Member since 2002 • 16463 Posts
this is a great cause...

i should join
eXtremeXL

So join ;) It's not going to hurt anything and it may help save your own life someday or someone you knows life :)
Sube6491

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#121 Sube6491
Member since 2004 • 1220 Posts
OK i joined. Do you think a 1.8 ghz Dell can handle it?
toad1956

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#122 toad1956
Member since 2004 • 1127 Posts

All right I am slow I admit that, but how do you join a team? (Bad hair day, what I am bald...so)

PS The click here links do not work.

samhodous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 samhodous
Member since 2003 • 1530 Posts
[This message was deleted at the request of board moderator or administrator]
samhodous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 samhodous
samhodous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 samhodous
samhodous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 samhodous
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Krall

All right I am slow I admit that, but how do you join a team? (Bad hair day, what I am bald...so)

PS The click here links do not work.

toad1956

Go here http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/download.html and download the client of choice. Once you install that there will be a setup menu you can access from the program, from there you enter in your name and the team # found on page 1 of this posting.

OK i joined. Do you think a 1.8 ghz Dell can handle it?Sube6491

Sure it can, welcome to the team :)
toad1956

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#128 toad1956
Member since 2004 • 1127 Posts

Thank you

Dennis

1stCommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 1stCommando
Member since 2003 • 4969 Posts
woohoo i joined and we are one of the highest ranking teams! ranked 202 out of 37512 teams!
does this have any noticeable performance loss?
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Krall
woohoo i joined and we are one of the highest ranking teams! ranked 202 out of 37512 teams!
does this have any noticeable performance loss?
1stCommando

Welcome to the team :)

Nope, the program scales itself so that if you are doing something else it won't take any cycles away from what you are doing.
mezmorized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 mezmorized
Member since 2004 • 1435 Posts
What does the team actually do. I have read the front page a bit but dont quite understand the jist of it all. From what I got it is benchmarking for a good cause.<<Was I close?
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Krall
What does the team actually do. I have read the front page a bit but dont quite understand the jist of it all. From what I got it is benchmarking for a good cause.<mezmorized

Nope not really :) You could use Folding @ Home to test the stability of your computer much like Prime95 does, but that's not its main purpose. The main function of running F@H though is it will use the left over cycles that you & your computer aren't using to fold proteins for the research teams studying ways to fight cancer. Essentially all of us on the team are serving as a super computer to help advance the research that they are conducting.
mezmorized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 mezmorized
[QUOTE="mezmorized"]What does the team actually do. I have read the front page a bit but dont quite understand the jist of it all. From what I got it is benchmarking for a good cause.<Krall

Nope not really :) You could use Folding @ Home to test the stability of your computer much like Prime95 does, but that's not its main purpose. The main function of running F@H though is it will use the left over cycles that you & your computer aren't using to fold proteins for the research teams studying ways to fight cancer. Essentially all of us on the team are serving as a super computer to help advance the research that they are conducting.

Alright so just download the program and let it run? Just like that eh?
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Krall
[QUOTE="Krall"][QUOTE="mezmorized"]What does the team actually do. I have read the front page a bit but dont quite understand the jist of it all. From what I got it is benchmarking for a good cause.<mezmorized

Pretty much so...There are 2 programs you can run: 1) is a screen saver which will only run when your computer goes into standby mode and 2) runs in the taskbar and will only take the cycles you aren't currently using. I used to use the screensaver one but the problem with that was it only went on when I wasn't using the computer at all which is never :) so I switched to the taskbar one and it never interferes with any of my programs or games.
mezmorized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 mezmorized

[QUOTE="mezmorized"][QUOTE="Krall"][QUOTE="mezmorized"]What does the team actually do. I have read the front page a bit but dont quite understand the jist of it all. From what I got it is benchmarking for a good cause.<Krall

Pretty much so...There are 2 programs you can run: 1) is a screen saver which will only run when your computer goes into standby mode and 2) runs in the taskbar and will only take the cycles you aren't currently using. I used to use the screensaver one but the problem with that was it only went on when I wasn't using the computer at all which is never :) so I switched to the taskbar one and it never interferes with any of my programs or games.

Yea I was a little confused at first, on how to get it running, but I just right clicked it on the taskbar and clicked display and it started going. It was a 1/400 cycles before I left home. (I am at school right now) Is that what it is suppose to do, complete the cycles?

Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Krall

[QUOTE="Krall"][QUOTE="mezmorized"][QUOTE="Krall"][QUOTE="mezmorized"]What does the team actually do. I have read the front page a bit but dont quite understand the jist of it all. From what I got it is benchmarking for a good cause.<mezmorized

Yea I was a little confused at first, on how to get it running, but I just right clicked it on the taskbar and clicked display and it started going. It was a 1/400 cycles before I left home. (I am at school right now) Is that what it is suppose to do, complete the cycles?

Yup! :) Depending on the speed of your processor it can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days to complete a Work Unit (WU).

The front page really needs and overhaul it's a bit outdate atm. I should write up a new one and have Dark Jedi change it for us...

Anyway welcome to the teamMezmorized!  8)

mezmorized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 mezmorized
[QUOTE="mezmorized"]

[QUOTE="Krall"][QUOTE="mezmorized"][QUOTE="Krall"][QUOTE="mezmorized"]What does the team actually do. I have read the front page a bit but dont quite understand the jist of it all. From what I got it is benchmarking for a good cause.<Krall

Yup! :) Depending on the speed of your processor it can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days to complete a Work Unit (WU).

The front page really needs and overhaul it's a bit outdate atm. I should write up a new one and have Dark Jedi change it for us...

Thanks. So the time it shows when it is going to end, is that accurate, or does that change? Also if I won't be able to see it through can I stop it and continue at a different time or does it have to run through without ending the program? Because I will be out of town this weekend and it says it will be done on Saturday, and I will be gone by then. Sorry if I am asking a lot of questions.

Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Krall
[QUOTE="Krall"][QUOTE="mezmorized"]

[QUOTE="Krall"][QUOTE="mezmorized"][QUOTE="Krall"][QUOTE="mezmorized"]What does the team actually do. I have read the front page a bit but dont quite understand the jist of it all. From what I got it is benchmarking for a good cause.<mezmorized

Thanks. So the time it shows when it is going to end, is that accurate, or does that change? Also if I won't be able to see it through can I stop it and continue at a different time or does it have to run through without ending the program? Because I will be out of town this weekend and it says it will be done on Saturday, and I will be gone by then. Sorry if I am asking a lot of questions.

Ask away, that's how you learn ;)

Just let me clear one thing up first, you are running the F@H that runs in the taskbar right?

If so then: The time till finish can change since say if you start gaming for a few hours the program will have less power to work with which will effect how soon it can get done. I'm pretty sure you can just say shutdown the computer and it will stop by itself. It will keep track of where it left off and pickup where it ended when you turn the computer back on. There is one catch though, it does have a time limit it needs to get the WUs done by and if it can't it will just kill that WU and start a new one. You should be able to check on time limit right from the menu if you right click the Folding icon.

You can also leave the computer on while you're gone as it won't hurt anything and you'll get some WUs done while you're gone :)
mezmorized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 mezmorized
^^^ Thats what I am going to do. I wonder if I can put it in a repeat so once it is done it could start over. Because my comp will be running all weekend why not make it do something in the process.
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Krall
^^^ Thats what I am going to do. I wonder if I can put it in a repeat so once it is done it could start over. Because my comp will be running all weekend why not make it do something in the process.mezmorized

Ah as long as you have an internet connection it will just download the next set of Work Units automatically.
mezmorized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 mezmorized
I got back and it took me two days and 1 WU. :) Ok. Last question. How do you put it to run in Standby?

Thanks so much for all the help you have given me.
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Krall
I got back and it took me two days and 1 WU. :) Ok. Last question. How do you put it to run in Standby?

mezmorized

You're welcome :)

You mean put the computer in stand by mode? I'm not sure I follow you.
mezmorized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 mezmorized
[QUOTE="mezmorized"]I got back and it took me two days and 1 WU. :) Ok. Last question. How do you put it to run in Standby?

Krall

No, I meant how do you keep the program running when you are in standy. You said you had your computer set to that.

Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Krall
[QUOTE="Krall"][QUOTE="mezmorized"]I got back and it took me two days and 1 WU. :) Ok. Last question. How do you put it to run in Standby?

mezmorized

No, I meant how do you keep the program running when you are in standy. You said you had your computer set to that.

Oh I see.. Originally I had it to work only out of standby mode which is when the screen saver comes on (settings for that are under Control Panel/Display/Screen Saver, but now I'm just using the Folding @ Home that runs in the taskbar all the time. Seems to be much more efficient that way.
mezmorized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 mezmorized
[QUOTE="mezmorized"][QUOTE="Krall"][QUOTE="mezmorized"]I got back and it took me two days and 1 WU. :) Ok. Last question. How do you put it to run in Standby?

Krall

Oh I see.. Originally I had it to work only out of standby mode which is when the screen saver comes on (settings for that are under Control Panel/Display/Screen Saver, but now I'm just using the Folding @ Home that runs in the taskbar all the time. Seems to be much more efficient that way.

Gotcha. This is what I should select if I want it to run in standby right? *checkbox right here" "Run core only when screensaver is active (this will reduce productivity)"

Also I finished my second WU. :D Now the frames increased. Does it increases every time you complete a WU, thus making it take longer to finish?
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Krall
hmm I'm guessing since you just downloaded F@H your client is a lot newer then mine cause I don't have that option that you have. I'll have to check it out later on and update :)

Yeah sometimes they give you bigger ones to work on and sometimes they give you smaller ones, I guess it depends on what they are working on themselves. There was an option you could check to either accept bigger units or not get them at all, but other then that it's pretty random.
TheTailDragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#147 TheTailDragger
Member since 2005 • 260 Posts
Got FireDaemon running F@h for Gamespot :)
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Krall
Got FireDaemon running F@h for Gamespot :)TheTailDragger

\0/

Welcome aboard :)
Project_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Project_g
Member since 2003 • 1368 Posts
well I finally joined. lol been a long time coming(was too lazy to read up on it before). :D
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Krall
well I finally joined. lol been a long time coming(was too lazy to read up on it before). :DProject_g

Welcome to the team!