Jagged Alliance Flashback. Turn Based is Back!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EXile1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 EXile1a
Member since 2004 • 44 Posts

After 14 years of waiting finally a true turn-base succesor to Jagged Alliance 2!

Check the Kickstarter and their website for more info.

The Godfather of turn-based action is making its comeback! Experience first hand the events that lead to the founding of A.I.M.

Jagged Alliance: Flashback is our vision of returning a once critically acclaimed franchise back to its roots, it's not a reboot, it's a reset!

Our main goal is to bring back the tactical turn-based action that the original Jagged Alliance games are known for - the game was a thinking man's game, a thinking man with lots of guns!

The games were unique in their blend of tactical turn-based action, controlling and maintaining squads of mercenaries, off and on the battlefield. As a player the decisions you made had a direct impact on how you played the game.

Additionally, over-the-top personalities, memorable characters and role-playing elements made the games difficult to put away once you were hooked.

Video to the first interview with Full Control: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Zs135zvbE

Kickstarter Page

Kickstarter Updates

Q: When will the game be released?

A: With our current budget we plan to release the game late 2014, but if we get more funding we would like to implement more features, which could potentially delay the release.

Q: What does it mean that you have a Jagged Alliance License?

A: Getting a license is purely a legal agreement of "Yes - you are allowed to use Jagged Alliance to make a game". It does NOT include money to make the game. It also means we are in Full Control of the development (pun intended).

Q: Will there be a MULTIPLAYER section of the game?

A: Jagged Alliance: Flashback is designed to be the best single player story driven experience possible. While we will not rule out a potential multiplayer mode in the far future, it is not on the roadmap or feature lists.

Q: Do I have to be online to play?

A: No, we dont roll like that. We want you to be able to enjoy a game of Jagged Alliance: Flashback anywhere at anytime.

Q: Will there be mod support?

A: Support for modding is important for a Jagged Alliance title. Depending on the final budget we will work on opening up for things like a map editor and dialog editor.

Q: Whats your primary target platform?

A: Our primary platform will be PC. The game will be available on Windows, Mac and Linux platforms.

Q: Will the game support multiple languages?

A: Yes, the game will support English, French, German,Italian, Russian and Spanish, but only for text and menus.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback

http://www.jaggedallianceflashback.com

http://www.jaggedallianceflashback.com/forums

https://www.facebook.com/JaggedAllianceFlashback

https://twitter.com/JAFlashback

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/17/squad-chat-jagged-alliance-flashback-interview/

http://pockettactics.com/2013/04/18/cutting-edge-full-controls-thomas-lund-on-the-jagged-alliance-flashback-kickstarter/

http://heise.de/-1849011

Let's show the industry that Turn Based is not Dead!

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#2 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Is this the original developers?
EXile1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 EXile1a

Is this the original developers?nutcrackr

No Sir-tech is long gone. But Several Sir-tech employees are still enfused with the community and FC has reached out to them for their input.

And I know at least one that is planning on joining their team for this project. They're even involving the modders to develope the modding tools. So if the funding doesn't include everything we wanted the community can step in.

It's Jagged Alliance 2 all over again. We're just getting an updated playing field.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Obv promo account OP. Anyway great news, I'm still fond of JA2 and can't say I was impressed with that realtime with pause time reboot. Same folks working on Shadowrun Online too (I do think?), which is a good sign.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23998 Posts

This game remins me quite a bit of XCOM (the reboot). But it seems like you have done a good job avoiding quite a few of the pitfalls that ruined XCOM enemy unknown for me.

But I have to know, how does the cover system work? Was it as terribly implemented as Enemy Unknown's? Also, are you able to shoot through walls like in Enemy Unknown?

Edit: Either way, as long as you focus on making it more like Jagged Alliance than XCOM with the Jagged Alliance name it should be good.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11792 Posts

I have been wanting a game like this for a while.

I haven't played a JA game yet though...  So I just hope it isn't connected story wise to the older games much.

Other than that I am interested in it!

EXile1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 EXile1a

ahh got ya.

Yeah I have no problem with that.

Looking forward to it. 

I was looking at the latest JA game that came out, but it wasn't all that well received so I didn't put it that high on my priority of trying out. (especially when there are so many games these days) But I still kinda want to give it a try if it is on sale for like $5 or so.

Lach0121

If you're talking about "In Action". That isn't a Jagged Alliance game. That was a weak attempt to cash in on some old IP.

You can get JA2 from GoG for $6,- don't know what the price is in dollars on steam... But first try if you can find the JA2 demo. It's a good way to learn the basics... Though I must warn you this is a game from 1999 so graphics are a bit.... Eeeeeh.... :P

Also when you install it don't do in Program Files on anything than an WinXP machine (it's complicated).

I hope it can make you a fan. :)

EXile1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 EXile1a

Obv promo account OP. Anyway great news,skrat_01

Nope you're wrong I'm just a long time fan, someone else made this template and I'm using it with all my might trying to get this game made.

I'm still fond of JA2 and can't say I was impressed with that realtime with pause time reboot. Same folks working on Shadowrun Online too (I do think?), which is a good sign.skrat_01

In action was an absolute piece of crap....Full Control have sworn to keep it as complex as JA2 though with a tutorial this time. :P

*For everyone*

Just to be clear I'm not begging you to pledge right here right now.

I am however asking all of you to keep an eye on this kickstarter and if you have questions for the team look them up on Facebook and ask away. So far they have done their best to answer all question.

So please keep an eye on this, ask questions if you're doubting but if they answers your questions and what they are showing lifts your spirits (more stuff is comming according to the updates) please pledge any amount you can spare so we can finally have another proper Jagged Alliance.

EXile1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EXile1a

This game remins me quite a bit of XCOM (the reboot). But it seems like you have done a good job avoiding quite a few of the pitfalls that ruined XCOM enemy unknown for me.

But I have to know, how does the cover system work? Was it as terribly implemented as Enemy Unknown's? Also, are you able to shoot through walls like in Enemy Unknown?

Edit: Either way, as long as you focus on making it more like Jagged Alliance than XCOM with the Jagged Alliance name it should be good.

Maroxad

First of all I can't answers questions about the game. I'm not afiliated with FC. But ask you questions on their Facebook page or if you're brave venture into www.bears-pit.com/board/ubbthreads.php]. It's the home of most JA fans and Modders, FC has an account there too.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

If you're talking about "In Action". That isn't a Jagged Alliance game. That was a weak attempt to cash in on some old IP.

EXile1a

A weak attempt to cash in on an old IP?  When has that ever happened in this industry?   :lol:

With that said, I'm going to keep an eye on this and will, more than likely, end up kicking some cash their way.  The more turn-based games the better.

EXile1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 EXile1a

No there isn't much story. :P

A Jagged Alliance game is pretty much: Bad person (can be boy or girl. It was a Queen in JA2) in charge of country. You get a wad of cash for your first team and off you go. On your rampage through said country you'll get more cash to get better mercs and equipment or loot better stuff off corpses until you're paving a town with mortars, C4 and antitank weapons.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11792 Posts

No there isn't much story. :P

A Jagged Alliance game is pretty much: Bad person (can be boy or girl. It was a Queen in JA2) in charge of country. You get a wad of cash for your first team and off you go. On your rampage through said country you'll get more cash to get better mercs and equipment or loot better stuff off corpses until you're paving a town with mortars, C4 and antitank weapons.

EXile1a

ahh got ya.

Yeah I have no problem with that.

Looking forward to it. 

I was looking at the latest JA game that came out, but it wasn't all that well received so I didn't put it that high on my priority of trying out. (especially when there are so many games these days) But I still kinda want to give it a try if it is on sale for like $5 or so.

EXile1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 EXile1a

A weak attempt to cash in on an old IP?  When has that ever happened in this industry?   :lol:-wildflower-

I know! :P I think it's very rude

With that said, I'm going to keep an eye on this and will, more than likely, end up kicking some cash their way.  The more turn-based games the better.

-wildflower-

I can't ask for more. :)

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]Obv promo account OP. Anyway great news,EXile1a

Nope you're wrong I'm just a long time fan, someone else made this template and I'm using it with all my might trying to get this game made.

I'm still fond of JA2 and can't say I was impressed with that realtime with pause time reboot. Same folks working on Shadowrun Online too (I do think?), which is a good sign.skrat_01

In action was an absolute piece of crap....Full Control have sworn to keep it as complex as JA2 though with a tutorial this time. :P

*For everyone*

Just to be clear I'm not begging you to pledge right here right now.

I am however asking all of you to keep an eye on this kickstarter and if you have questions for the team look them up on Facebook and ask away. So far they have done their best to answer all question.

So please keep an eye on this, ask questions if you're doubting but if they answers your questions and what they are showing lifts your spirits (more stuff is comming according to the updates) please pledge any amount you can spare so we can finally have another proper Jagged Alliance.

Fair enough apologies for making the claim! D/w was following it as soon as I caught the news, looking forward to catching more details.
EXile1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 EXile1a

Fair enough apologies for making the claim! D/w was following it as soon as I caught the news, looking forward to catching more details.skrat_01

Apologies accepted. :P

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Guess the last jagged alliance flopped they did get to make a expansion i think..Did that team disband that made it..

EXile1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 EXile1a

Guess the last jagged alliance flopped they did get to make a expansion i think..Did that team disband that made it..

Gladestone1

I don't think so.. Kalypso is still running around wrecking IP's. But they've stopped updating In Action because they think it is finished.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Hoping it does well. I'd love to see a new (well made) Jagged Alliance.
EXile1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 EXile1a

Hoping it does well. I'd love to see a new (well made) Jagged Alliance.Legolas_Katarn

Any help is appreciated. Even if you can't pledge; spread the word, :)

EXile1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 EXile1a

We've passed $100,000!!!

Update 5 has been posted and it concerns the story some new incentives and an Upcoming Q&A session with Full Control's CEO!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback/posts/466933

EXile1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 EXile1a

There is a Q&A session on reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1df3so/iama_ceo_of_full_control_we_are_currently/

So if you have questions please join the conversation and ask your questions!

(30 April 2013) 20:00 Central European Time

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17698 Posts
I really, REALLY want to see this happen, but if it's only bringing in $1k a day and 10k a day is needed, is this a realistic expectation to reach a goal that large with 22 days remaining? I've pledged, but to be honest as much as I hope it reaches its goal I have to say I'm a tad skeptical.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Legolas_Katarn
I really, REALLY want to see this happen, but if it's only bringing in $1k a day and 10k a day is needed, is this a realistic expectation to reach a goal that large with 22 days remaining? I've pledged, but to be honest as much as I hope it reaches its goal I have to say I'm a tad skeptical. MirkoS77
I've seen a lot of campaigns turn around and start getting a lot of money and I've seen ones stop getting money almost completely. It is possible. The biggest problem with this one is probably the developer. It's doesn't seem like they have made anything that great or impressive, and that's what will probably keep me, at most, pledging the amount just to get the game, even though it's my favorite genre of games and Jagged Alliance 2 is one of my favorite games. It doesn't help that they also don't have anything showing a demo or work in progress video of the game.
EXile1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 EXile1a
I really, REALLY want to see this happen, but if it's only bringing in $1k a day and 10k a day is needed, is this a realistic expectation to reach a goal that large with 22 days remaining? I've pledged, but to be honest as much as I hope it reaches its goal I have to say I'm a tad skeptical. MirkoS77
Just happy you pledged. Thank you for the support.
I've seen a lot of campaigns turn around and start getting a lot of money and I've seen ones stop getting money almost completely. It is possible. The biggest problem with this one is probably the developer. It's doesn't seem like they have made anything that great or impressive, and that's what will probably keep me, at most, pledging the amount just to get the game, even though it's my favorite genre of games and Jagged Alliance 2 is one of my favorite games. It doesn't help that they also don't have anything showing a demo or work in progress video of the game.Legolas_Katarn
Yeah that is the general consensus that they should have waited a bit longer to prep some more PR stuff. Some level designs made in the engine would have helped...
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17698 Posts
[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]I really, REALLY want to see this happen, but if it's only bringing in $1k a day and 10k a day is needed, is this a realistic expectation to reach a goal that large with 22 days remaining? I've pledged, but to be honest as much as I hope it reaches its goal I have to say I'm a tad skeptical. EXile1a
Just happy you pledged. Thank you for the support.
I've seen a lot of campaigns turn around and start getting a lot of money and I've seen ones stop getting money almost completely. It is possible. The biggest problem with this one is probably the developer. It's doesn't seem like they have made anything that great or impressive, and that's what will probably keep me, at most, pledging the amount just to get the game, even though it's my favorite genre of games and Jagged Alliance 2 is one of my favorite games. It doesn't help that they also don't have anything showing a demo or work in progress video of the game.Legolas_Katarn
Yeah that is the general consensus that they should have waited a bit longer to prep some more PR stuff. Some level designs made in the engine would have helped...

How does Kickstarter work exactly? Is the project not begun until the needed funding is reached? If that's so, then how is it possible to show the game using videos of its current state, or how it's going to look/play on release? Seems like it's a case of trying to put the cart before the horse. How can you show a game demo to gain pledges when pledges are needed to get a demo up and running in the first place? Or is it a small personal investment by the creators to throw together a mock-up of what's to be expected?
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Legolas_Katarn

How does Kickstarter work exactly? Is the project not begun until the needed funding is reached? If that's so, then how is it possible to show the game using videos of its current state, or how it's going to look/play on release? Seems like it's a case of trying to put the cart before the horse. How can you show a game demo to gain pledges when pledges are needed to get a demo up and running in the first place? Or is it a small personal investment by the creators to throw together a mock-up of what's to be expected?

It would depend on the studio and what they have been able to do before the kickstarter. Some studios have spent years working on their games before a Kickstarter (C-Wars) and some planned to make their game if the Kickstarter fails or succeeds and were doing the Kickstarter as a way to make their game better (Divinity Original Sin). A lot of Kickstarters have shown alpha footage and I have seen a few lately with demos available to download. Not every studio needs to or is able but something like that would really help when it comes to a mostly unknown studio like this one.

ciorlandenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 ciorlandenis
Member since 2012 • 322 Posts

Oh my god ........ it looks amazing.

JA BIA was such a dissapointment. this game is gonna make me forget it

EXile1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 EXile1a

new update: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback/posts/470796

And it's filled with goodies. :)

What are they going to do with the weapons? What kinds of Ammo are there going to be? Weapon Mods Yes/No/How/Why?

AKA Gun Porn!! :D

EXile1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 EXile1a

Again I have fallen silence for a few days but Update 12 is in. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback/posts

Great new they have confirmed that Chris Camfield is going to be advising the team, the man that was on the team for several JA titles and was the lead of Jagged Alliance 3 (that didn't see the light of day sadly).

Two modders have been confirmed to help the game be as mod friendly as possible. The creator of the Blue Sun Mod for 7.62 -high caliber- And a member of the 1.13 mod for Jagged Alliance 2.

This game needs to be made...