FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

So I have a PS4 which I just use for FIFA and some random exclusives here and there. My console friend gave me Destiny to see if I could play a shooter with a controller. I tried and tried to get used to it but I just couldn't.

So after some research I finished buying a XIM4. http://xim4.com/

Basically what it does is "emulate" Keyboard and Mouse into the PS4 controller, so you basically play any PS4 game like a PC game (with KB/MS).

I started playing Destiny (which btw isn't that great to be honest), and finally got to level 5 where it opens up the PvP. My friend suggested I get to at least level 10 and better weapons before going in there, but I said "what the hell, let's try it".

To summarize my experience. I was killing players from across the map with a starting handgun.

I'm a pretty good COD and BF player, but without even trying too hard, and with just starting gear, I was going first in my team and second on the whole match. That's not to say the other players were bad. There were some good ones on there and I died a few times (mostly cause of firepower). Still, most of the time my aiming with the mouse would be much quicker than the other player using a controller.

Summarzing, I have physically now proven that a mouse is much more precise and faster than a controller for online shooters.

NOTE: I just can't play shooters on a console. The 30fps just makes me nauseous after a while.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I think everyone agrees its a better control choice for fps games.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23895 Posts

The best controller depends on how the game is set up.

Some games play better with a controller, others play better with KB/M. Shooters are practically unplayable for me with a controller.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

You don't have to tell us, brother. Post it in SW if you dare!

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

The only game that done it right was GTA5 with the perfect auto aim, I tried once 1st person shooter - yeah I tried to snipe someone - good luck with that, took me 3 seconds to aim at the head

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint said:

Post it in SW if you dare!

Exactly. Everyone here knows that what you're talking about is a fact. But over there? Proof means nothing. :P

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Emulated M+KB controls on consoles suck. Any decent Halo player would smoke you, honestly :p

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

I don't disagree with KB/M beating a hand controller in FPS games, but I enjoy playing them with a controller as well. It's more relaxed if you ask me.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 I_Return
Member since 2014 • 873 Posts

@harry_james_pot said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

Post it in SW if you dare!

Exactly. Everyone here knows that what you're talking about is a fact. But over there? Proof means nothing. :P

SW transcends logic. It's a place that defies all sense. Is he really up to the task?

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#10 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

It's a given that KB/M is better for Shooters. It's games where movement is more important than precise aiming is where gamepads shine. That means stuff like Action, Racing, Fighting, Sports and Platforming games.

I just never bothered with the KB/M vs Controller argument. Different input methods and picking the right tool for the job have always been a staple of PC gaming. I had flight/joysticks for my PCs before I ever played on any console, some games back in the early 90s (when I started PC gaming) flat out only worked with a Joystick. The debate seems like a comparatively recent thing: being some sort of attempt to establish a border between PC and console gaming or gamers, using a vocal “M/KB” ideology.

Now don’t get me wrong, I mostly prefer m/kb as well for RPGs and Shooters, I was actually pretty awesome at Unreal and Quake at one point, and I have no problem with people asking for decent m/kb support. But gamepads aren’t a “console thing”. That’s a point of view that negates the rich history of PC gaming.

Now that's an argument worth putting to rest.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Emulated M+KB controls on consoles suck. Any decent Halo player would smoke you, honestly :p

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FelipeInside
@klunt_bumskrint said:

You don't have to tell us, brother. Post it in SW if you dare!

I don't have a death wish...lol. Just wanted to share my experience here.

@illmatic87 said:

It's a given that KB/M is better for Shooters. It's games where movement is more important than precise aiming is where gamepads shine. That means stuff like Action, Racing, Fighting, Sports and Platforming games.

I just never bothered with the KB/M vs Controller argument. Different input methods and picking the right tool for the job have always been a staple of PC gaming. I had flight/joysticks for my PCs before I ever played on any console, some games back in the early 90s (when I started PC gaming) flat out only worked with a Joystick. The debate seems like a comparatively recent thing: being some sort of attempt to establish a border between PC and console gaming or gamers, using a vocal “M/KB” ideology.

Now don’t get me wrong, I mostly prefer m/kb as well for RPGs and Shooters, I was actually pretty awesome at Unreal and Quake at one point, and I have no problem with people asking for decent m/kb support. But gamepads aren’t a “console thing”. That’s a point of view that negates the rich history of PC gaming.

Now that's an argument worth putting to rest.

I never said they were a "console thing". I have a Logitech controller which I use for some specific games on PC (mostly platformers).

But for shooters nothing beats the mouse imo.

@KHAndAnime said:

Well I'm sure there are good Halo players on Destiny... and they had trouble killing me, lol.... and I just had starting gear.

As for the emulation, I couldn't even tell. I had to configure the settings a bit (like the mouse has to have maximum DPI and sensitivity set to 200 on the software), but after that it was like I was playing a PC game.. except for the 30fps of course.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I don't agree that FPS games are clearly better with a mouse and keyboard. It depends on the game, and I would say that most shooters these days are about movement instead of precision. I would agree definitely that games like Counter Strike, Quake, and Battlefield benefit greatly from the use of a mouse and keyboard. However, games like Halo, Borderlands, and Call of Duty feel tuned for a controller and feel much more natural with a pad instead of a mouse.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

Controllers and kb and mouse all have there strong points. Its why I love Pc gaming. Can do pretty much whatever I want. I've now had my PC in a console setup for a while and solely use a mix of logitech, xbox 360, ps2, snes controllers, and arcade sticks. They all have there merits for whatever experience I or friends want.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FelipeInside

@JangoWuzHere said:

I don't agree that FPS games are clearly better with a mouse and keyboard. It depends on the game, and I would say that most shooters these days are about movement instead of precision. I would agree definitely that games like Counter Strike, Quake, and Battlefield benefit greatly from the use of a mouse and keyboard. However, games like Halo, Borderlands, and Call of Duty feel tuned for a controller and feel much more natural with a pad instead of a mouse.

I was specifically talking about competitive online shooters. Some games are more optimized for controllers, but the speed of the mouse is just too great for online.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

I was specifically talking about competitive online shooters. Some games are more optimized for controllers, but the speed of the mouse is just too great for online.

Halo and Call of Duty are competitive online shooters.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

@FelipeInside said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

Call of Duty is significantly better with a mouse and keyboard. Not a video of COD, but titanfall which is similar.

If you have seen any xim3 videos of cod then you realize what happens. Also console COD players are much much much worse than an average pc player.

(This isn't a xim video, just shows the advantage of a m&kb for millitary shooters)

Loading Video...

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

I'm fine with a controller if it has aim assist like in Titanfall.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I know some morons will dispute Mouse precision and claim the Controller is the best...... But deep down inside EVERYBODY KNOWS THE MOUSE IS THE MOST PRECISE... theres need to make a thread about it....

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

So I have a PS4 which I just use for FIFA and some random exclusives here and there. My console friend gave me Destiny to see if I could play a shooter with a controller. I tried and tried to get used to it but I just couldn't.

So after some research I finished buying a XIM4. http://xim4.com/

Basically what it does is "emulate" Keyboard and Mouse into the PS4 controller, so you basically play any PS4 game like a PC game (with KB/MS).

I started playing Destiny (which btw isn't that great to be honest), and finally got to level 5 where it opens up the PvP. My friend suggested I get to at least level 10 and better weapons before going in there, but I said "what the hell, let's try it".

To summarize my experience. I was killing players from across the map with a starting handgun.

I'm a pretty good COD and BF player, but without even trying too hard, and with just starting gear, I was going first in my team and second on the whole match. That's not to say the other players were bad. There were some good ones on there and I died a few times (mostly cause of firepower). Still, most of the time my aiming with the mouse would be much quicker than the other player using a controller.

Summarzing, I have physically now proven that a mouse is much more precise and faster than a controller for online shooters.

NOTE: I just can't play shooters on a console. The 30fps just makes me nauseous after a while.

people know this since kingdom come

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11782 Posts

The only thing I find the controller better for in most games is actual movement, and that is if the game supports analogue movements. The digital wasd of movement (to me) isn't as precise as you can get with a controller, (think of a racing game, or even some platforming games)

That being said... Aiming, no controller is better than a half-ass decent mouse. There has to be liberal use of things like Aim-magnetism, and Aim-assist, to compensate for this very thing.

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts

It seems pretty stupid to spend $125, plus taxes and plus S&H for a game you don't like, for a console which you admit don't play a lot and the games you do play on it are better suited for a controller anyways.

Also you know gear/weapons have no effect in crucible matches, unless specifically playing the Iron banner playlist.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

@FelipeInside said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

and you turn around at a snails pace with a controller where a mouse can make snap motions in any direction. There's a reason microsoft cancelled all cross platform multiplayer when gauging mouse vs controller in their titles

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

It just comes down to the game in question. I do mouse/kb with most shooters out there. However, games like Dark Souls, I definitely use controller. I cant imagine playing a game like that with kb/mouse.