Is Vista really this bad?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AceInTheHole24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 AceInTheHole24
Member since 2003 • 182 Posts

All right gang, hang with me on this one. It's kinda long but I would really appreciate some input.

I currently have two systems. My first is my Frankenstein system that I built in 2004 with these specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2700+ Processor at 2.16 GHz
1.50 GB PC3200 DDR 400MHz RAM
1-Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT
Western Digital Caviar 80 GB Hard Drive
Running Windows XP SP3

My other systemthat I bought in 2007is as follows:

Alienware Aurora M9700 Mobile Laptop
AMD Turion 2.4 GHz ML-44 Processor
2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
2-Nvidia 7900 GS with 512 MB video memory each
2-Seagate 100GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drives
Running Windows Vista Ultimate 32-Bit

I could probably supply more details about each, but for the purposes of my forthcoming question, this should suffice.

So, I've never been happy with how the laptop performs. For being marketed as such a powerhouse gaming machine, it's just never lived up to that title. Frequent slowdowns and poor performance have plauged nearly every game I've played on it. Even five year old WoW starts and stutters quite a bit. Not to mention the constant nightmare of trying to find updateddrivers for the seemingly unsupported video cards.

Now I know most of you have probably been shaking your heads at the fact that I got the Laptop with Windows Vista, but I plead innocent on that. When I ordered it, Vista was just coming out and none of the bad reviews had hit yet. I thought I would be ahead of thingsa little bit by getting it but all I gotwas screwed. Such is my luck in these matters. And now that Microsoft is basically dumping it, I'm ready to as well, but we'll come back to that a little later.

So here's what prompted this question. I played through Mass Effect once on my Laptop, and it worked well enough even with all the frustrating slowdowns especially during combat. I would love to play it without the stuttering so instead of hoping for a PS3 version which will probably never happen, I got a wild hair to try installing it on my aging but ever faithful and well performing Frankenstein. And to my frustrated surprise, it actually ran better, even with all of the graphical options nearly maxed. At that point I didn't know what to feel. Should I be mad at Alienware for screwing me on poor components? Should I be even more mad at Microsoft over the Vista debacle? Should I just once again resolve to chuck this whole PC gaming thing once and for all?

You can answer any and all of those questions if you like, but what I'd really like is an opinion on what I've decided will be my next move. I'm thinking that since the warranty is expired on the Alienware and I really have nothing to lose, I will get an OEM version of Windows XP and install that and see if it will run games the way it was advertised. Since XP still seems to be abetter OS than Vista ever hoped to be.

So thats where I stand. Any thoughts will be heard, but spam telling me how stupid I am for getting any or all of the above systems or components will besummarily ignored, so don't waste your time. Thanks in advance for any quality input!

xxscottjonesxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 xxscottjonesxx
Member since 2009 • 115 Posts
Interesting, id just sell the alienware laptop for a small fortune, and getting a laptop for a gaming system is the worst thing u can do and any body will tell u the same, u cant upgrade the graphics drivers and its just a waist of money. especialy alien ware lol u can get a 3x better desktop for half the price in most online stores
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
try windows 7 on the laptop
cornholio157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 cornholio157
Member since 2005 • 4603 Posts

well i would advise you to not buy any so called "gaming laptops" especially not alienware.

the release vista was plauged with problems but it has smothed out alot since service pack 1 and the 64 bit drivers and support have been added formost everything you can possibly install for all the 64 bit users.

id say your best bet is to junk the laptop atleast try to get some cash for it. and invest in updating your frankenstein if not just building a new one outright.

Xp is pretty cheap now for an OEM disk of home edition, and maybe you could justhold off till windows 7 is out and any issues are resolved before upgrading/buliding a new PCwould probly be even better

Tufelhunden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tufelhunden
Member since 2006 • 106 Posts

Actually it's probably due to the 7900GS. I'm sure it's the mobile version, meaning it's about the equivalent of a 7400GT, if that. The 6800 is actually a more powerful card. It's not a Vista issue it's a mobile video card versus a Tower video card issue. It's the same with the 9800GT versus the 9800GT m huge difference in the cards themselves, even though they have the same basic name. :)

xxscottjonesxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xxscottjonesxx
Interesting, id just sell the alienware laptop for a small fortune, and getting a laptop for a gaming system is the worst thing u can do and any body will tell u the same, u cant upgrade the graphics drivers and its just a waist of money. especialy alien ware lol u can get a 3x better desktop for half the price in most online storesxxscottjonesxx
try windows 7 on the laptopferret-gamer
What is it with you and that retarted windows 7. Note to every one that isnt a complete ideot, windows 7 will crash alot and next year it will shut down your computer every hour untill u restall an older os or buy there product (windows 7) the windows 7 version, that is out now is just a tester and is a load of crap, ignore this ferret gamer with his stupid suggesttions on windows 7. he was trying to blag me into it on one of my other post.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
[QUOTE="xxscottjonesxx"]Interesting, id just sell the alienware laptop for a small fortune, and getting a laptop for a gaming system is the worst thing u can do and any body will tell u the same, u cant upgrade the graphics drivers and its just a waist of money. especialy alien ware lol u can get a 3x better desktop for half the price in most online storesxxscottjonesxx
What is it with you and that retarted windows 7. Note to every one that isnt a complete ideot, windows 7 will crash alot and next year it will shut down your computer every hour untill u restall an older os or buy there product (windows 7) the windows 7 version, that is out now is just a tester and is a load of crap, ignore this ferret gamer with his stupid suggesttions on windows 7. he was trying to blag me into it on one of my other post.

i mention windows 7 twice and all of a sudden i am obsessed with it?
wolfdogelite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wolfdogelite
Member since 2008 • 495 Posts

[QUOTE="xxscottjonesxx"]Interesting, id just sell the alienware laptop for a small fortune, and getting a laptop for a gaming system is the worst thing u can do and any body will tell u the same, u cant upgrade the graphics drivers and its just a waist of money. especialy alien ware lol u can get a 3x better desktop for half the price in most online storesxxscottjonesxx

i agree with ferret gamer, windows 7 has all of the strengths of vista, all of the cool features, and the compatibility of xp. idk what you're talking about it but I've been using it since it was released and the only crashes i get are from my cpu way to overclocked and low voltage, and bad Nvidia drivers when i overclock my video cards to like 760mhz:P

so i would say go with it, btw, I'm using the 64bit version, and my buddy has a laptop from late 2006, and it's running windows 7 like a champ.

oh yea, and it uses like half of the resources that vista did, right now i have like ~45 processes, and only using ~1.2 gigs of ram, with word, itunes, and many Internet pages open.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Wow, i'm surprised it doesn't blow up with two video cards in there. Could be shoddy drivers, overheating, sli-stutter, try XP on the Alienware. Hey dude the way you attacked ferret gamer isn't cool.
wolfdogelite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wolfdogelite
Member since 2008 • 495 Posts
it has it's snags, but to be honest I'm impressed at how well it performs, it being only a beta. and XP is definitely the safer way to go. I like windows 7 because of the features and it's new, but XP has a very little amount of problems left, and it will run better on a laptop than vista would.
jamesfffan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jamesfffan
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts

I think instead of is Vista really this bad? which it isnt since sp1, it performs very well, its fast and everything on my setup great new stuff in comparison to XP, gaming in Vista for me is great tbh. Windows 7 is a step past Vista, 7 is an overhauled Vista with focus being put on every aspect of the OS which improves what Vista brought, and making great additions all around, theres plenty of sites and youtube videos to see how they've improve stuff especially the new UI style, and its more scalable when it comes to resource management.

It should really be "Are these 2 systems enough for Vista gaming?"

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Vista Second Edition is what it is ;)
jamesfffan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jamesfffan
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts

Indeed, but a good one at that?

edd678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 edd678
Member since 2006 • 3660 Posts

Vista Second Edition is what it is ;)X360PS3AMD05

Complete **** Have you even bothered to do research into windows 7?

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
I dunno, but I like Vista, works fine for me.... in this case I think it's your system.
hofuldig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 hofuldig
Member since 2004 • 5126 Posts

All right gang, hang with me on this one. It's kinda long but I would really appreciate some input.

I currently have two systems. My first is my Frankenstein system that I built in 2004 with these specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2700+ Processor at 2.16 GHz
1.50 GB PC3200 DDR 400MHz RAM
1-Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT
Western Digital Caviar 80 GB Hard Drive
Running Windows XP SP3

My other systemthat I bought in 2007is as follows:

Alienware Aurora M9700 Mobile Laptop
AMD Turion 2.4 GHz ML-44 Processor
2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
2-Nvidia 7900 GS with 512 MB video memory each
2-Seagate 100GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drives
Running Windows Vista Ultimate 32-Bit

I could probably supply more details about each, but for the purposes of my forthcoming question, this should suffice.

So, I've never been happy with how the laptop performs. For being marketed as such a powerhouse gaming machine, it's just never lived up to that title. Frequent slowdowns and poor performance have plauged nearly every game I've played on it. Even five year old WoW starts and stutters quite a bit. Not to mention the constant nightmare of trying to find updateddrivers for the seemingly unsupported video cards.

Now I know most of you have probably been shaking your heads at the fact that I got the Laptop with Windows Vista, but I plead innocent on that. When I ordered it, Vista was just coming out and none of the bad reviews had hit yet. I thought I would be ahead of thingsa little bit by getting it but all I gotwas screwed. Such is my luck in these matters. And now that Microsoft is basically dumping it, I'm ready to as well, but we'll come back to that a little later.

So here's what prompted this question. I played through Mass Effect once on my Laptop, and it worked well enough even with all the frustrating slowdowns especially during combat. I would love to play it without the stuttering so instead of hoping for a PS3 version which will probably never happen, I got a wild hair to try installing it on my aging but ever faithful and well performing Frankenstein. And to my frustrated surprise, it actually ran better, even with all of the graphical options nearly maxed. At that point I didn't know what to feel. Should I be mad at Alienware for screwing me on poor components? Should I be even more mad at Microsoft over the Vista debacle? Should I just once again resolve to chuck this whole PC gaming thing once and for all?

You can answer any and all of those questions if you like, but what I'd really like is an opinion on what I've decided will be my next move. I'm thinking that since the warranty is expired on the Alienware and I really have nothing to lose, I will get an OEM version of Windows XP and install that and see if it will run games the way it was advertised. Since XP still seems to be abetter OS than Vista ever hoped to be.

So thats where I stand. Any thoughts will be heard, but spam telling me how stupid I am for getting any or all of the above systems or components will besummarily ignored, so don't waste your time. Thanks in advance for any quality input!

AceInTheHole24

no vista is not that bad. you computers just suck. (not being rude. just telling the truth) 2 gigs of ram is not enough and that processor on the laptop is old and slow

rlc-madcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rlc-madcat
Member since 2004 • 192 Posts
You probably should sell the laptop and get a better desktop. Another idea would be to get rid of Vista and install XP or wait until Win 7 arrives then install it on the laptop see how that goes. If I were in your shoes and could sell the laptop for a decent amount (2/3s? 1/2? or so of the original cost) I'd go for that option and get a desktop.
opamando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 opamando
Member since 2007 • 1268 Posts

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]Vista Second Edition is what it is ;)edd678

Complete **** Have you even bothered to do research into windows 7?

Sounds right to me. All Win 7 is is Vista with a new name and few extra and a few less features. It is basically the same OS.
Rhamsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rhamsus
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts

Trying it as a secondary OS is GOOD ADVICE. Furthermore it doesn't crash, no matter how hard i have tried, and its a demo, and is explicitly stated that your license only lasts 1 year. If your primary OS is giving you problems its not everyday that you can try another better one, for free.

You are giving the bad advice, not Ferret.

edd678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 edd678
Member since 2006 • 3660 Posts

I agree with the above poster i nthat you are talkign complete ****. Ive got windows 7 on one of my pc's and it runs perfectly, hasnt crashed once and detected all the drivers i needed straight away.

xxscottjonesxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xxscottjonesxx
Go ahead noobs trash talk about me ahahah